HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Man of Steel

Old
08-13-2012, 04:47 PM
BlackStar

vCash: 500
Williams' Superman theme is truly epic, it's fantastic. However, I am very happy that they are moving on with a new theme. Plus, the theme will be done by Zimmer, is doesn't get better than that.

Just to add, my favourite Superman theme is the theme for the animated film Superman: Doomsday (also featured in Superman VS The Elite):

Tell me that isn't EPIC!

The animated series Justice League also had a great theme:

Yes, I am a Superman nerd.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Takeo

Zimmer is good, but man, I'm not sure that original Superman theme can be equaled. I've heard it a thousand times and it's still chilling.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:40 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Zimmer is good, but man, I'm not sure that original Superman theme can be equaled. I've heard it a thousand times and it's still chilling.
Zimmer is a bit of a hit and miss these days, some of his tunes are memorable, some not. Batman was disappointing, not a very catchy tune. Danny Elfman has him beat on that front. Even Bryan Singer knew to keep John Williams's Superman theme intact.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:19 AM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Zimmer is a bit of a hit and miss these days, some of his tunes are memorable, some not. Batman was disappointing, not a very catchy tune. Danny Elfman has him beat on that front. Even Bryan Singer knew to keep John Williams's Superman theme intact.
Actually, most people, including myself, love his Batman theme.

Also, Singer was right to keep Williams' theme because Superman Returns was supposed to be a sequel to Superman 2.

Man of Steel is a different and modern take on Superman, they are making the right choice by picking a new theme.

Old
08-14-2012, 09:35 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
Just to add, my favourite Superman theme is the theme for the animated film Superman: Doomsday (also featured in Superman VS The Elite):
I don't know if that theme is the best one but it is a very good one. And it is a good example that you can make a good-to-great Superman theme without slavishly following in Williams's footsteps.

I think it's the right move to compose a new theme. New movie, new tone for the character, new theme.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
I don't know if that theme is the best one but it is a very good one. And it is a good example that you can make a good-to-great Superman theme without slavishly following in Williams's footsteps.

I think it's the right move to compose a new theme. New movie, new tone for the character, new theme.
As long as it's much catchier than Zimmer's Batman. In comparison:

Old
08-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Elfman's style is different from Zimmer's. Both are bombastic, but Elfman uses a much more classical orchestral approach while Zimmer goes for a mix of electronica and bass beats. Personally I thought Elfman's theme suited Burton's Batman perfectly, and ditto for Zimmer's theme to Nolan's Batman.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Takeo

Quote:
I thought the Batman theme was great. Very effective for the tone of the films. Crimson Tide is my favorite. I find his artsy stuff (Hannibal, Black Hawk Down, etc.) to be a little cheesy.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Philly85
Moody'

There's only so much one man can squeeze out in terms of greatness when it comes to film scores. A lot of the stuff some of these great composers come out with these days is "played out" and similar sounding.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
There's only so much one man can squeeze out in terms of greatness when it comes to film scores. A lot of the stuff some of these great composers come out with these days is "played out" and similar sounding.
I think there's running joke about Zimmer's tunes all sounding the same, can't remember where I saw it. Definitely relies too much on bass these days, first time ever I was relieved to get out of the theater after TDKR.

Old
09-14-2012, 07:45 PM
BlackStar

Okay, we have lots to catch up to!

First, possible descriptions of Man of Steel concept art:

Quote:
A user at the Super Hero Hype Forums said that he attended a recent Warner Bros. trade show where concept art for the Man of Steel was displayed. The user mentions Zod's prison to be named the "Black Zone." In addition, the user describes the concept art which reveals some new details.

Possible spoilers follow.

UPDATED: Just went back from WB Tradeshow 2012, and they showed the same Jor-El teaser but they also present us with lots of confidential artwork concepts, design by James Acheson (Raimi's Spider-Man, Daredevil) and Michael Wilkinson (300, Watchmen).

Here are a brief coverage of the artwork concept:
- Henry Cavill in Supes suit full body, and then a half body shot of cavill using the monochromatic suit possibly, the uncolored suit for some early test shot.
- Jor-El suit minus his armor full body, and Jor-El with his intricate Kryptonian battle suit with some rifle.
- Zod with complete suit with cape and rifle, Zod with his black undersuit full body and then Zod being shackled in neck and hand, connected.
- Zod's prison structure, called Black Zone, floating, also function as a transport kind of vehicle. Guards are patroling the rooms inside the prison.
- an artwork of a specific scene showing the arrival of the Black Zone in the sky of Metropolis.
- Zod's using helmet and different armor when his first arrived on earth, possibly adjusting the air and all.
- Jor-El scout ship, who floated and landed in Artic i guess, consist of Supes Kryptonian suit inside. there's an artwork of the cockpit also.
- The design of Some sort of KEY to activate the ship that were shown in Comic Con.
- two designs of bad ass rifle and handgun courtesy of Planet Krypton
- a highly rendered art of Henry as Superman

as you can see they didn't show any new footage so its posssible that the design can be tinker or refine for the final version. Man those artworks are mighty awesome and really gave us a look at what will be shown in the actual movie. Just want to quoted Roy Batty: I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/con...-name-spoilers

I did some research on this story, all indications lead me to believe that it's legit.

Second, rumour says that Superman receives a severe beating from Faora in the film:

Quote:
Spoilers follow.

In line with what I've heard that Superman barely scrapes by in the movie against Zod and Faora and other supposed less powerful enemies, the person who literally beats the bloody hell out of him the most is not Zod (he actually apparently fares much better against the General) is Faora. You know the ass kicking Spider-Man receives from Green Goblin in spider-man 1 what with Tobey screaming in major pain with each punch and knee that Goblin gives him... multiply that by 3 and that's what Faora does to Superman. Or of Omni-Man's beat down of Invincible.

At first they're not as powerful but later on as she applies her fight training and adapts them to her powers, she gives Superman one of the worst beatings a hero has faced on camera... She "Doomsdays" him... literally pulverizing him with precision and lethal strength with hitting pressure-points, nerves and even just outclasses Supes in bare knuckle and gives Supes a severe beat down...he's total agony this entire time, bloody and broken and barely gets away. My buddy doesn't know at all how Superman defeats these guys eventually but he did say that Superman in this film gets hurt a lot more easily than Routh's pre-crisis Superman...the military can hurt him too but Faora pretty much nearly kills him in hand to hand...
http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/con...oiler-revealed

Is this true? I don't know, I wouldn't be surprised either way. The rumour does not contradict any of what we know is for certain so far, however, it could easily be fabricated as well.

This is what Amy Adams had to say in her interview with The Collider:

Quote:
The Collider asked Amy Adams if her take was going to follow previous Lois Lane depictions with either some humor or a more competitive role to Clark Kent, as some of the recent television and movies have shown. Adams begins to explain her interpretation of Lois Lane, but seems to catch herself, and offers only small bits and pieces.

No, I think she is a little more…we will have to see. I don’t know. I mean, she is definitely a pistol still and she definitely gets herself in a lot of trouble still. But she is not as competitive, I would say, with Clark.

Amy Adams also mentions what her fellow Man of Steel actor, Michael Shannon, recently said — that Henry Cavill is really committed to the role and a hard worker.

It was great. It was really good. Henry [Cavill] – I hope you guys love him as Superman – worked so hard. He is just yummy and really committed to the role. He really did a good job. I haven’t seen the final cut and I have only seen a couple of the teasers. So I am with you guys. I know it because I was there but there was so much that I wasn’t involved in that I can’t wait to see.
http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/con...vill-lois-lane

Quote:
Michael Shannon(one of the most brutally honest actors out there) tells us that Man of Steel will be mind-blowing:

Speaking with MTV News, Zod himself, Michael Shannon, said he's seen some footage and that it's "mind blowing."....Shannon is asked about working with new Superman, Henry Cavill, stating that Henry Cavill is one of the hardest working actors in Hollywood. He says Cavill had the confidence and work ethic to pull off Superman, a huge responsibility, which Henry Cavill also recently spoke about.

Michael Shannon goes on to note that he felt like he was in a scene with Superman, and not like Henry Cavill was someone trying to play Superman.

"He felt like the real deal," Shannon said.
http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/con...-shannon-video

Lastly, Henry Cavill on Man of Steel:

Quote:
"What I can say is that it's a modernization of the character and a very realistic view of one, obviously very fantastic individual. It's an unreal situation, but approached from a very practical viewpoint. We wanted to make the character easy to identify with."
http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/con...ressure-get-me

Old
09-14-2012, 09:30 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Even Bryan Singer? He kept most things about the 70's flick intact, even the canon.

Much like Nolan's Batman had to move on from Elfman's tune, this probably has to move away from William's Superman. It likely won't fit.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 03:03 PM
BlackStar

Man of Steel co-criter, David Goyer on the film:

Quote:
What Man of Steel has in common with Goyer’s previous works:

Goyer: What Christopher Nolan and I have done with Superman is try to bring the same naturalistic approach that we adopted for the Batman trilogy. We always had a naturalistic approach, we want our stories to be rooted in reality, like they could happen in the same world we live in. It’s not that easy with Superman, and actually this doesn’t necessarily mean we will make a dark movie. But working on this reboot we are thinking about what would happen if a story like this one actually happened. How would people react to this? What impact would the presence of Superman in the real world have? What I really like to do is write ‘genre’ stories without a cartoonish element. I did the same with Da Vinci’s Demons, and I’ll do the same with Man of Steel.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=68057

If you've seen the comic-con trailer, you already know some of what he is talking about. I am so excited about this film!

Old
10-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Nice detail on the movie. I'm definately seeing a parallel to the Batman Begins beaten but not broken angle with Superman. He will not be a powerhouse from the outset, especially against seasoned opponents that have just as many abilities as he does.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 08:50 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Nice detail on the movie. I'm definately seeing a parallel to the Batman Begins beaten but not broken angle with Superman. He will not be a powerhouse from the outset, especially against seasoned opponents that have just as many abilities as he does.
Yep, if the rumours are true, Faora will beat him down pretty badly before Zod get's a crack at him.

Last edited by BlackStar: 10-02-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old
11-27-2012, 10:56 AM
BlackStar

Zack Snyder has confirmed that a "crazy" new trailer will be attached to The Hobbit on the 14th of December. Some believed that this trailer would be the comic-con trailer, however, that's not the case. I can't wait!

Also, WB will be revealing a new poster of Superman/Zod or previewing the trailer sometime this week, or maybe, early next week.

Old
11-27-2012, 07:35 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Zack Snyder has confirmed that a "crazy" new trailer will be attached to The Hobbit on the 14th of December. Some believed that this trailer would be the comic-con trailer, however, that's not the case. I can't wait!

Also, WB will be revealing a new poster of Superman/Zod or previewing the trailer sometime this week, or maybe, early next week.
Man...I can't wait for this movie. You though seem to be in another realm of fandom. :p

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

AWESOME! I'll very likely watch hobbit after my exams so im pumped!

11-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

If there's no "Kneel before Zod" I am disappoint.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
it has to be there man lol.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 11:19 AM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Man...I can't wait for this movie. You though seem to be in another realm of fandom. :p

I don't know what led you to that conclusion

Jussi
Quote:
Prepare to be dissapoint:

Quote:
Michael Shannon made an appearance on VH1's Big Morning Buzz Live, where he revealed the intriguing news that he won't say, "Kneel before Zod" in director Zack Snyder's reboot.

With a rather smug look on his face, the actor stated this cryptic line about his character's main difference from the one Terence Stamp played in Superman II.

"I don't say that in the movie."

The actor made the admission after being asked by host Carrie Keagan to incorporate that line into a scene from his first movie, the 1993 comedy classic Groundhog Day. He also made another revelation that his "cod piece" is bigger than Henry Cavill's.
http://www.movieweb.com/news/michael...-than-superman

Let's remember that this is a Zack Snyder film with Michael "the bawse" Shannon playing Zod, there will be epic lines from Zod. Plus, he might say something similar to that. I think it's a wise choice for them to exclude the line from the film, since they want to distinguish this film from the previous movies.

Old
11-28-2012, 04:22 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Cod piece..what the heck is that?

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Okay, we have lots to catch up to!

First, possible descriptions of Man of Steel concept art:

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/con...-name-spoilers

I did some research on this story, all indications lead me to believe that it's legit.

Second, rumour says that Superman receives a severe beating from Faora in the film:

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/con...oiler-revealed

Is this true? I don't know, I wouldn't be surprised either way. The rumour does not contradict any of what we know is for certain so far, however, it could easily be fabricated as well.

This is what Amy Adams had to say in her interview with The Collider:

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/con...vill-lois-lane

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/con...-shannon-video

Lastly, Henry Cavill on Man of Steel:

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/con...ressure-get-me
The Faora part sounds like it's pretty true to the comic book then as the first time they met Superman barely got away.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Cod piece..what the heck is that?
I guess Zod has quite the kryptonite package...

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
poster on facebook:

(kinda funny reading the JL thread how superman would destroy villans in a "real world" scenario (aka Gotham) and now we seen him being stopped with handcuffs........ )
i like how some internet nerds think they have it all figured it out better, than guys like Nolan...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg superman.jpg‎ (28.6 KB, 32 views)

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote