HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Man of Steel

Old
12-11-2012, 04:20 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Why did they have to go in such a moody gritty direction though? The trailer looked good but it feels like Nolan maybe had too big of an influence with the feel of the movie. This is still Superman after all.
my guess is they looked at Batman going darker and decided to give it a shot

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 04:52 PM
JS19
Pls Sharks win

I don't think Snyder's Superman is going in the same direction as Nolan. The only thing these two have in common is theorizing how the character would be accepted in a world like ours. Batman was dark because it was a journey about a man who could never get over his anger and grief. He became a hero because he wanted to stop others from feeling the same pain that he felt as a child. It was Wayne's melancholy that really drove in the theme of darkness in the trilogy. As for Superman, it seems like Zack Snyder is more focused on Kal-El in terms of his purpose and philosophy: "Why was I given these abilities? Am I to inspire good in people?" etc.

It's worth a try considering the Superman franchise has been spoiled by these two titles:

The best thing to do at this point is to give character a backstory as to what makes them the hero that we all know and love. That's why Batman was so remarkable, because its story was rich and had direction in terms of what Batman would be under realism, and the psychological struggles that Bruce Wayne had as he deals with his grief. It wasn't because it consisted of dark and mature themes.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 05:12 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Why did they have to go in such a moody gritty direction though? The trailer looked good but it feels like Nolan maybe had too big of an influence with the feel of the movie. This is still Superman after all.
Nolan, Goyer, and SNyder have repeatedly stated that the film will be realistic and gritty, however, Superman will be Superman--the beacon of hope he's always been. I am a hardcore fan of Superman, and everything I've read, heard, and seen so far from this film regarding Superman the character, doesn't worry me at all. This movie is exactly what Superman fans have been waiting for. The Christopher Reeve films(the first two atleast) were great...for its time, but they were not faithful to the comics as some people think.

Superman has been an emotional and lonely character for a very long time, as he should be. In one of his comic books, he states that he often prefers to take the train back to Smallville instead of flying there because "flying is too fast, he wants to have the time to think".

This is a faithful and realistic portrayal of the character, and I am loving it!

Last edited by BlackStar: 12-11-2012 at 05:21 PM.
BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
I hope this doesn't explain things as much as Nolan's Batman films.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 05:41 PM
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice

vCash: 420
I just found out Kevin Costner is in it. *groan*

12-11-2012, 05:43 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Umm...okay? He is actually a brilliant choice for the role of Jonathan kent.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:33 PM
BlackStar

My detailed thoughts of the trailer (POSSIBLE SPOILERS):

-I love the opening shot of the trailer, it's so beautiful (seen above).

-Little Clark: "The world is too big mom." Martha Kent: "Then make it small, focus on my voice, pretend it's an island, out in the ocean." As we hear this, we see shots of a tearful little Clark, then a shot of pencils, followed by presumably, Clark' teacher writing on the chalkboard, followed by little Clark running franticly at his school's hallway, and a worrisome/sad Martha consoling little Clark.

I think what's going here is that this is when Clark discovers his super-hearing; the world is so big to him because he is hearing too much of everything, including the sound of the chalk against the board. This leads him to run out of the classroom. He tells his adopted mother about this, and she helps him learn how to hear only what he wants to hear.

-Judging by the shot of his take-off before flying, Superman's ability to fly is caused by a magnetic forcefield around him. There have been a few explanations for how, not why(like all Kryptonians, he gets his powers from the sun) he flies, the magnetic forcefield is one of them.

-Michael Shannon as Zod: BAWSE!

-I know there would be a lot of chaos going on in the film, however, this looks almost apocalyptic, wasn't expecting that, but it makes perfect sense.

-The kryptonian spaceships look amazing!

We still don't know much of plot, and that's very good. We know that Zod and Faora(the shot of her standing in front of a large fire, presumably after using her heat vision was stunning) are villains in this film, however there is a strong possibility that there is a third villain, we just don't know who it is yet. Interesting.

There is one other thing I observed from the trailer, but I won't mention that here since it will be a pretty big spoiler, however, I'm sure that some of you may have already guessed it.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:34 PM
shello
@WShello9

Some reason I find that picture of him in the water reminds me how Superman is kinda a Christ figure, and might be hinting at that. Both sent to earth by their fathers, save people from dangers that they couldn't do alone or by themselves, and if I'm not mistaken he had to be resurrected once. And the House of El (Jor-El, Kal-El) echoes the Hebrew expression for God, El...........Or it's just him in the water after saving the bus as a child or he fell off his fishing boat from the first trailer.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Looks good, definitely going to be some nice visuals.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:10 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
I can't even count the amount of times Costner has played a rural American in films. The role is perfect for him.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
Umm...okay? He is actually a brilliant choice for the role of Jonathan kent.
Agreed. Costner is made for that kind of role. The movie looks absolutely sick. I can't wait.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:24 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Agreed. Costner is made for that kind of role. The movie looks absolutely sick. I can't wait.
Other than the actor who played him in Smallville, yeah I'd say Costner is the perfect choice.

If anything I'm almost offended by the casting of Amy Adams as Lois Lane. I seriously doubt she's going to be able to do the character right. Not that Kate Bosworth did or anything.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:28 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Other than the actor who played him in Smallville, yeah I'd say Costner is the perfect choice.
To be fair, it really isn't a difficult role to play.

"Okay, you're a caring father...you're also a farmer"

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:53 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

Eh. There's some nuances that I'd look for in whoever does the character for that reason. Idk...the Smallville guy, what was his name? There was just this warmth about his character that you couldn't shake whenever he was on screen. No it's not a difficult role but he owned it.

Last edited by DuckJet: 12-11-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old
12-11-2012, 11:06 PM
BlackStar

Quote:

If anything I'm almost offended by the casting of Amy Adams as Lois Lane. I seriously doubt she's going to be able to do the character right. Not that Kate Bosworth did or anything.
Amy Adams is one of the most versatile actresses in Hollywood today. She has all the talent in the world to play the strong, yet vulnerable Lois Lane.

Quote:
le_sean

He is also the adoptive father of a powerful alien. How does he protect the boy from this world? How does he protect the world from the boy?

Judging by the trailer, it looks like he did a great job. You can sense the the inner conflict he is dealing with as he talks to Clark in the aftermath of Clark saving his classmates and him being caught in the act. His facial expression and demeanour as he says "maybe"(expressing the length of the fear he has of the world learning about his alien son) in answering Clark's "should I just let them die" was very solid in my opinion.

Good acting is always challenging.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:07 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Eh. There's some nuances that I'd look for in whoever does the character for that reason. Idk...the Smallville guy, what was his name? There was just this warmth about his character that you couldn't shake whenever he was on screen. No it's not a difficult role but he owned it.
Jonathan Schneider.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:15 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Jonathan Schneider.
I kept thinking his name was Joseph.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:21 AM
Takeo

I'm not impressed with the trailer. Looks too sentimental. I wish Nolan was not involved with this.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:50 AM
theotis77

Quote:
Jonathan Schneider.
AKA Bo Duke from the Dukes of Hazard.

theotis77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:51 AM
theotis77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
I'm not impressed with the trailer. Looks too sentimental. I wish Nolan was not involved with this.
Color me shocked

theotis77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:17 PM
XX
... Waiting

Trailer music sucked. Looks like a solid attempt at Superman though.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:18 PM
JS19
Pls Sharks win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
How exactly does it look too 'sentimental?'

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Takeo

The music sounds like a cross between Titanic and Gladiator, although 1:40 of the new trailer has the makings for a nice theme. I'd like to see a mostly original score with the end credits fading in with the original horns staccato part (:26 below) and an updated version of the classic theme.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2012/12/12/...teel-trailer-2

12-12-2012, 04:28 PM
18Hossa

vCash: 232
The movie looks great.

18Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote