HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Andi Petrillo tweets that we submitted an offer for Bernier

Old
07-30-2012, 07:18 AM
416Leafer

vCash: 500
One thing I could see not being grandfathered in is changing something that affects the cap hit of retired players. It would prevent teams signing players until theyre 40 when its way too early to tell when the player will retire.

And why would they not have to grandfather this in? Because who could complain? Could Gillis complain and say "not fair!!!".... Because the response from the league could very well be "Oh, are you saying that you dont plan on having Luongo play the entire length of his contract? Are you saying that you specifically signed him to this with the idea that he would retire early? Because that would be cap circemvention, and therefore not only will we still enforce the rules, but we'll take a 1st round pick or two".

Any team complaining would be openly admitting to their background handshakee deals that the player retire early. Contracts should have been signed with the idea that the player would play the length of the contract, so enforcing what was already a rule shouldnt be a problem.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:41 AM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
The proof is right there. He isn't denying trade talks have happened, he's only saying the deal isn't anywhere near imminent.
I really don't think he's trying to get by on a technicality. He's clearly intending to state that this rumour has no legs, and that the Leafs are not involved in any trade talks with LA. i.e. The rumour is NOT true.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Ok...I'll weigh in from Sask on speculation Leafs are closing in on Bernier deal. Burke says they're not even talking with LA. As you were.

Last edited by NewFang: 07-30-2012 at 09:01 AM.
NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:46 AM
Mowerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
Ok...I'll weigh in from Sask on speculation Leafs are closing in on Bernier deal. Burke says they're not even talking with LA. As you were.
They are sending offers via e-mail!!!!

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:53 AM
MrLegend28

Quote:
I really don't think he's trying to get by on a technicality. He's clearly intending to state that this rumour has no legs, and that the Leafs are not involved in any trade talks with LA. i.e. The rumour is NOT true.

not to be a dick, but i always bring it up... why would I care what Dreger says? Leafs use him to up the value of players via media outlets, they dont tell him who they're speaking too about potential players despite what people think.

Remember Sportsnet saying Atlanta to Winnipeg and TSN, Bob and Dreger allllll denied it fully...and then next day it's front cover of the TSN site.

Or when Dreger suggested we'd just get a 2nd for Kaberle...ya, good insider news.

MrLegend28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:54 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:

For the sake of discussion, ask yourself this - if you're negotiating a price for something you'd like to buy and you know there will be other bidders would you make it be known that you're heavily invested in purchasing that something, or would you prefer to fly under the radar and swoop in to purchase that something at a more reasonable price?

If Burke goes out and says he's interested in J.Bernier he's just giving LA's GM leverage to increase the price.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:57 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
For the sake of discussion, ask yourself this - if you're negotiating a price for something you'd like to buy and you know there will be other bidders would you make it be known that you're heavily invested in purchasing that something, or would you prefer to fly under the radar and swoop in to purchase that something at a more reasonable price?

If Burke goes out and says he's interested in J.Bernier he's just giving LA's GM leverage to increase the price.
Wouldn't that also be considered tampering?

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:03 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Wouldn't that also be considered tampering?
I used the wrong words. If Dreger really had some insider info from the Maple Leafs management it wouldn't be to suggest that we're in the hunt for Bernier.

Old
07-30-2012, 12:06 PM
mooseOAK*

I refuse to believe that there is a month long plus bidding war for Bernier.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:43 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Acquiring Bernier would be akin to JFJ trading for Toskala.

The cost would be stupidly high, and you don't even get a sure thing, not to mention the asset we have is likely better already anyways.

Wait, maybe it's more like the Rask/Raycroft situation...

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:52 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:

Out of curiosity, how do you buy something without showing interest in it? What other assets could LA/TOR be talking about, for us to throw Bernier in as a sidepiece/distraction?

"Hey Dean. Just inquiring about Kopitar."
"He's not available."
"Oh, how about Richards or Carter?"
"Nope. Door is shut there too. We have Bernier available, but the price is same as always."
"Oh, no, that's okay. Not interested in Bernier. How about Dustin Brown?"
"No, sorry Burke. Like I said, we're only interested in shopping Bernier right now."
"Hmmm... well how about Voynov?"
"Am I being prank called? NO! Only Bernier. Just Bernier."
"I see. Well, I'm not interested in Bernier, but I guess I'll take him for the exhorbitant price you've already set."

Yeah... so i don't get how not making a statement about interest makes that deal happen... Bernier is the only piece they have on the market. They have everyone else locked up. If you're calling Dean Lombardi, it's to talk Bernier, and the price is already set. Just because Bernier is "asking for a trade" doesn't mean there is any incentive to unload him for anything less than top return.

And I feel like a broken record having to repeat this yet again... The Leafs will have no interest in Vesa Toskala 2.0

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:45 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Out of curiosity, how do you buy something without showing interest in it? What other assets could LA/TOR be talking about, for us to throw Bernier in as a sidepiece/distraction?

"Hey Dean. Just inquiring about Kopitar."
"He's not available."
"Oh, how about Richards or Carter?"
"Nope. Door is shut there too. We have Bernier available, but the price is same as always."
"Oh, no, that's okay. Not interested in Bernier. How about Dustin Brown?"
"No, sorry Burke. Like I said, we're only interested in shopping Bernier right now."
"Hmmm... well how about Voynov?"
"Am I being prank called? NO! Only Bernier. Just Bernier."
"I see. Well, I'm not interested in Bernier, but I guess I'll take him for the exhorbitant price you've already set."

Yeah... so i don't get how not making a statement about interest makes that deal happen... Bernier is the only piece they have on the market. They have everyone else locked up. If you're calling Dean Lombardi, it's to talk Bernier, and the price is already set. Just because Bernier is "asking for a trade" doesn't mean there is any incentive to unload him for anything less than top return.

And I feel like a broken record having to repeat this yet again... The Leafs will have no interest in Vesa Toskala 2.0
Teh Monster
Gerber
JSG
Reimer
Scrivens
McDonald

Not exactly a track record that proves we wouldn't be interested in Bernier, or a "Toskala 2.0".

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:56 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Either they aren't trading him or they think someone is going to lose their mind. Not sure how his value is going to get any higher when he won't play and should some teams goalie go down, an inexperienced younger backup who is not really proven will not be the first person considered. I can see why Vancouver is asking for a lot considering Lou is proven. This guy is a crapshoot just like every hyped goalie who will probably be good.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 04:37 PM
NewFang

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that if anyone is negotiating with LA for Bernier they would be given opportunity to match or outbid competing offers.

The scenario you describe is possible, but unlikely. Do we have any evidence of Burke or any GM spreading fake rumours to alter the price of an asset?

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:11 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
Either they aren't trading him or they think someone is going to lose their mind. Not sure how his value is going to get any higher when he won't play and should some teams goalie go down, an inexperienced younger backup who is not really proven will not be the first person considered. I can see why Vancouver is asking for a lot considering Lou is proven. This guy is a crapshoot just like every hyped goalie who will probably be good.
Teams take chances on goalies all the time. Was ilya bryzgalov a safe bet for Philly? All teams have a long history of doing the same. Like I said before in this thread Price was a risk when the Habs traded Halak right after carrying his team to the semi-finals.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:41 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that if anyone is negotiating with LA for Bernier they would be given opportunity to match or outbid competing offers.

The scenario you describe is possible, but unlikely. Do we have any evidence of Burke or any GM spreading fake rumours to alter the price of an asset?
Besides everyone being connected wirelessly at the hip and the advent of social networking sites like Twitter? No, I don't have any evidence. I agree that such a scenario is unlikely though.

I have little to no clue (obviously) as to how GMs of NHL teams negotiate with one another, and I know Lombardi doesn't have to trade Bernier (as he is under contract with LA another year), but I do know that if Lombardi wants to get full value out of his asset that he will want to have a bidding war. I just don't think it's wise for Maple Leafs management to incite that bidding themselves by making such information public

Therefore, the only conclusion that I draw from Dreger's tweet is that he's only using the information he's given and that information doesn't necessarily have to be accurate.