HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andi Petrillo tweets that we submitted an offer for Bernier

Old
07-16-2012, 11:43 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
I'd be fairly happy to trade for Bernier (depending on the return), I think he has a solid shot to become a legit NHL starter. He is IMO better than Reimer or Scrivens.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
I think it's a worthy gamble as long as the price isn't too steep.
I really wouldn't call it too much of a gamble. Bernier is an incredible talent and has the POTENTIAL to be one of the better goalies in the league.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:45 PM
DaveT83*

Not Frattin!

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:48 PM
PasDaSquini

So the Rumor deal is Frattin and a 3rd for Bernier. Seems odd to me that a goalie is not going back the other way. Scrivens has completed what he was suppose to in the AHL and it is hard for me to see the Leafs keeping him there. Burke makes some controversial moves but he always looks out for his players and makes sure they can play; remember this is the guy that put Bryz on waivers becuase he could not find a trade partner. Not the same situation but Scrivens has paid his dues and deserves a shot in the NHL just like Bry deserved a shot to be a Number one guy.

PasDaSquini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:52 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

ATTENTION EVERYONE:

The Frattin rumor was reported by a source with no credibility. A twitter-hero, if you will. So it's not "rumored". It's just made up. Now that that's cleared up...

I will admit though, that the Frattin to LA trade makes sense. I believe it was Kypreos who said that LA wanted Frattin on top of Schenn for Brown but the Leafs didn't want to pay that much.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:58 PM
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Is Clarke MacArthur not worth Jonathan Bernier?

A legit 20-25 goal man, who can put up 50 points, is defensively reponsible, and is fairly gritty. For a backup goalie.
I agree, I think that is more than fair, plus LA was scouting him and Kulemi, so maybe there could be something there.

Blaylock38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:01 AM
DaveT83*

Kings need roster players. MacA/Bozak/Kulie have to be involved.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:03 AM
King William
MARNER & NYLANDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Kings need roster players. MacA/Bozak/Kulie have to be involved.
Uhhhh, from reading what LA fans are saying, they do not need roster players.

A lot of them are expecting prospects/picks for Bernier.

King William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:38 AM
MoeMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
If they can get him cheap why not? Would make for an interesting training camp anyway.
If you can get anyone for cheap then maybe they're not really worth trading for in the 1st place. You're not going to get a talent like Bernier for cheap. He would be the #1 guy without a doubt. Really impressed with Burke and the Leafs if they actually are thinking of Bernier, shows they really are thinking outside the box and are trying their best to shore up the goalie position. Nice for a change as a fan when you understand and support the decisions the GM is making, certainly hasn't always been the case.

MoeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:47 AM
MoeMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
ATTENTION EVERYONE:

The Frattin rumor was reported by a source with no credibility. A twitter-hero, if you will. So it's not "rumored". It's just made up. Now that that's cleared up...

I will admit though, that the Frattin to LA trade makes sense. I believe it was Kypreos who said that LA wanted Frattin on top of Schenn for Brown but the Leafs didn't want to pay that much.
I love Frattin, really think he's going to have a good year, but think about it we all know what his ceiling really is and it isn't 1st line or even 2nd line material. He's not untouchable or a can't miss prospect, he's replaceable, and if you can potentially fill the goalie void with someone like Bernier who could become the legit #1 goalie for many, many years to come...then you take that chance and that risk because if works it then god damn what a good trade that would be. You fill the toughest position in Hockey while making a 3rd line prospect expendable.

MoeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:51 AM
Tyler Biggs*
Go Leafs Go!

Hopefully Burkie doesn't trade Frattin.

Tyler Biggs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:58 AM
kihei

vCash: 3115
If it is Frattin and a third for Bernier, I'd do that in a heartbeat. Much better idea than chasing Luongo.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:59 AM
showtime8

This is the typical "goalie becomes available and should come to the Leafs" scenario.

Jonathan Bernier is a stellar goaltender and has a much higher ceiling than Reimer, IMO. So thinking beyond next season, a Bernier acquisition is something that seems very logical and something that the Leafs should realistically look into.

I don't want to see another season go to waste with nagging questions about who should be starting and who can fill that role for another year. But Bernier would be awesome in a Leafs uniform. Forget next year!

And if they need prospects, then a guy like Joe Colborne or Jerry D'Amigo are worth the chance at a franchise tender.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:05 AM
Tyler Biggs*
Go Leafs Go!

We just resigned Frattin so why would we turn around and trade him?

Tyler Biggs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:11 AM
RD616

Trading for Bernier would be really nice for the organization. Out of Reimer, Scrivens, and Bernier; one of them will eventually start playing well and take over the #1 position.

RD616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:16 AM
Griffski

Ya this move would make a lot of sense. Bernier is still young with a lot of potential. Who knows, maybe he would thrive in the spotlight.

Bernier would bring the Leafs one step closer for sure...

Griffski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:34 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

MacArthur is a player I'd think that interest them. Regardless I'd think we weren't in this run at all especially considering the price.

07-17-2012, 05:30 AM
CodeBlue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Bernier is worth far more then that.

2nd + Scrivens is a start... Then you're looking at at least one roster player and a 2nd tier prospect
Keep dreaming.

CodeBlue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:37 AM
ALine

I don't see this as being legit. Burke has stated in no uncertain terms they are not interested in an unproven goalie. I don't see him going back on that. What do we need another young goalie that has yet to prove himself as a starter. The only difference between Bernier and Reimer is a few years and a high draftee status, which seems to actually mean as lot around here.

L.A. is in the ultimate position of strength here, they just won the cup and have a wealth of you assets. I don't see Lombadri just giving him away, ala Bryzgalov. Rather, i see the price for Bernier as being quite high. Linback got two seconds and a third round draft pick. The offers for Bernier will likely have to be better than that.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:13 AM
CodeBlue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
L.A. is in the ultimate position of strength here, they just won the cup and have a wealth of you assets.
So what if they won the Cup? Bernier wasn't their #1. Burke isn't going to give up more than he has to for Bernier.

CodeBlue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:30 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

hey guys! i just ord-

well...you know.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:34 AM
SprDaVE

I have a hard time believing this so called rumour.

We all ready have 2 inexperienced goaltenders with potential, why would we gamble on another goaltender with the same inexperience?

Seems rather unnecessary.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:36 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
2012/07/15: Look for the Chicago Blackhawks and Toronto Maple Leafs to check the price tag for Kings backup goalie Jonathan Bernier, who last week acknowledged he asked to be traded at the deadline and expected to be moved this summer. This is the word from Buffalo News hockey columnist Bucky Gleason. The columnist also says Bernier, 23, could have hurt his own cause by going public. Teams now know he's searching for the exit, which diminishes his trade value. The Kings would be more inclined to keep him with one year and $1.2 million remaining on his deal. And with only 48 NHL games on his resume, he has little leverage. (Source: Buffalo News)
http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...gi?5874#346842

Old
07-17-2012, 07:07 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
I have a hard time believing this so called rumour.

We all ready have 2 inexperienced goaltenders with potential, why would we gamble on another goaltender with the same inexperience?

Seems rather unnecessary.
Could it be that Nonis, Poulin, and all the leaf scouting believes that Bernier has a bigger upside & is more NHL ready than Reims and Scivvies? Maybe he's the best option as opposed to LU for 10 years and the farm to acquire him.

Old
07-17-2012, 07:13 AM
SprDaVE

For what it's worth, one of the admins at the SN forums, who has sources inside the Kings management, said the following:

Quote:
NO IDEA of what was offered, BUT, according to what I've heard, there WAS such a call made by the Leafs..

My friend/Exec had said that Dean "never backed off" the request for a 1st plus a "good" Prospect, yet 4 Teams were still calling. Believe that includes the Devils, Columbus, Chicago and the Leafs, although I suspect there might be others interested.

As an aside, given that I doubt Mr. Burke would offer Gardiner plus a First, think he might go for Scrivens and a First? That MAY be enough to get you Bernier, depending upon what others offer. By the way, the fact that multiple sources, including an AEG Exec, are reporting these calls, makes it seem Mr. Burke's claim of not being interested in "a young Goalie" MAY have just been posturing (smile).

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote