HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XXIV

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I in the Eye View Post
I'm thinking if the Flyers are let down from Stanley Cup hopes through bad goaltending (even with a maybe Weber on the team) Holmgren might push and bully his way to the front of the line... as a real quick example of what could change in a year. But, completely ignoring the logistics ouf it all (no use planning that far ahead - and who knows what Holmgren is capable of - would he strangle Bryzgalov?), have to think that Luongo and his cap hit would look nice in Philly - assuming Philly feels let down by goaltending...

Same can apply for a number of playoff teams...
2 things here. Luongo's NTC and if Bryz falters, what do you propose Holmgren does with his horrid contract after he aquires Luongo?

Old
07-22-2012, 12:11 AM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
I am very disappointed that there hasn't been a creative thread title yet.
How about we call each thread Luuuuuu... And add an extra "u" for the number the thread is at?

Old
07-22-2012, 12:35 AM
Briecheeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
Now people are saying "hey Gillis can't start with a 4 million / 5.33 million dollar back up!" and I answer with, why not? Unless he spends that cap on something (Doan, Weber, whatever!) then it's simply not being used and certainly not a hindrance....

You're basing his decreasing ability on a whole lot of assumption, history shows that Luongo is extremely consistent. History also shows that Luongo was able to produce these numbers on a good team, and a not so good team. History ALSO shows that goalies are more able to be successful at their positions until later years than players. So why not go based on history and not "what if's".

Do you even research or watch any hockey outside of the Hawks or do you simply regurgitate what's on Twitter / Local fans?
I'm not interested in getting into a flame war on the internet, but I'm just going to interject with a few points here:

Gillis can certainly go into the season with nearly $10m of goalie on his roster, especially with the cap being raised again. However, there are other considerations besides monetary here - how divided do you think that locker room is going to be between Luongo and Schneider? If they end up splitting games, how pissed off do you think Schneider is going to be, considering he was all but promised the starting job... or how pissed off is Luongo going to be if he only plays sparingly?

Here's a better hypothetical - if Schneider stumbles out of the gate, how long before the fans start to scream for Luongo to be the starter?

The longer this drags out, the longer the potential for chemistry issues. And as much as Luongo and Schneider have been putting on happy faces for the media these past two seasons, it's obvious that neither of them are pleased with the arrangement - it's just the nature of the professional athlete.

As for goalies doing well as they age, it's very hit and miss.

Generally, as a goalie enters his mid-to-late 30s, he starts to wear down. Brodeur found the fountain of youth during the playoffs, but over the past two or three seasons, he's been very ordinary. Patrick Roy retired at 37 because he felt he was done, and he wanted to go out on top. Cujo started slipping after he signed with the Red Wings at 34/35. Ed Belfour fell off a cliff after his 2nd year with the Leafs at 37-38.

And these are (aside from Cujo), all HoF goalies. Let's look at other very good goalies over the last decade or so (who stayed relevant into their 30s): Marty Turco started slipping at 33-34, Nabokov had a comeback this season at 36, but he was run out of the league last year for salary/playoff performance issues. Miikka Kipprusoff is a workhorse at 35. Martin Gerber, for all intents and purposes, ceased to be relevant in the NHL past 34-35. JS Giguere was relegated to backup duty at 33. Jose Theodore is decent at 35, but far from the Hart winner he was at 25, and run out of Montreal at 29. Tomas Vokoun had a decent season last year at 35, but is now a backup. Olaf Kolzig was just ok after 33 and finished at 36-37 (although you could argue that it was a post-lockout effect). Sean Burke slipped considerably after 35. Manny Legace was effective at 34, and done at 35. Mike Vernon - 36. John Vanbiesbrook - 36. Tom Barrasso - 33, although he had a decent injury-shorted season at 35. Mike Richter - 33-35. Ron Hextall was good in 33 and retired at 34. Nikolai Khabibulin had a disatrous few years with the Hawks starting at 33, was effective at 36-37, and has been awful the past two seasons.

I left out Chris Osgood because you could make a case for his numbers being inflated in the Detroit system... although he was last effective at 35.

The only goalies to defy time and play effectively into their late-30s and beyond in recent memory have been Hasek and Roloson. (And Tim Thomas is an anomaly, considering he didn't receive a heavy workload until his 30s).

Luongo is 33. How many years does he have left? These goalies started slipping anywhere from 33-37. Considering his workload with Florida and the early years in Vancouver, where he was routinely over 70 games a season, I'd bet on the under.

Last edited by Briecheeze: 07-22-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old
07-22-2012, 12:55 AM
intangible

I don't see how the Canucks can go into the season with Lou. If he does stay on and becomes the backup to Schneider (and, let's be honest, Lou is a TERRIBLE goalie through the months of October and November), it will only decrease his value. Right now his value is higher than it will be at any other point unless they plan to try to wait out another team and see if a starter gets injured. That's way too risky, in my opinion.

Old
07-22-2012, 01:20 AM
0123456789*

Funny how so many posters want Luongo on their team and come here to say how horrible his contract is and how useless he is. humanity with a bit of anonymity on the internet is so sad.

Old
07-22-2012, 02:09 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by intangible View Post
I don't see how the Canucks can go into the season with Lou. If he does stay on and becomes the backup to Schneider (and, let's be honest, Lou is a TERRIBLE goalie through the months of October and November), it will only decrease his value. Right now his value is higher than it will be at any other point unless they plan to try to wait out another team and see if a starter gets injured. That's way too risky, in my opinion.
Does a starter need to get injured or does it just need to be shown that another team's goalie can't handle the load?

I see Toronto, Chicago, Tampa Bay, and Columbus (and possibly Vancouver) as places where I think there's a 50/50 chance the goaltending is going to be dissapointing this season. Of those four teams, three probably see themselves as playoffs teams as a result, if things don't start out well in net for them, their GMs will be highly motivated to resolve the issue quickly. Luongo is known to be availble and will literally be in a position to save a season and maybe a job.

Old
07-22-2012, 02:12 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Well....there were thread warnings by mods and admins. There is no news and nothing but *****ing here.

Take all Lu discussion to your own boards for now. All threads, until news breaks, will be locked.

Closed Thread