HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Mario Lemieux after the cancer

Old
07-16-2012, 10:57 PM
malPHONEY

vCash: 500
Mario Lemieux after the cancer

A simple question that's been bugging me.

How much speed and athleticism did Mario retain when he returned from his ordeal with cancer? Considering how brilliant his point totals were smack in the middle of the dead puck era, I think some people embellish how much of it he lost in order to boost his all-time status.

A little too young at the time so please help me out.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:15 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post

How much speed and athleticism did Mario retain when he returned from his ordeal with cancer? Considering how brilliant his point totals were smack in the middle of the dead puck era, I think some people embellish how much of it he lost in order to boost his all-time status.

It wasn't just the cancer he was dealing with. He also had a chronic back problem that was so bad he couldn't even tie his own skates at times. Several of his former teammates said they'd see him wincing in pain trying to tie his skates and they'd have to do it for him.

It would be amazing to see how great he was "fully" healthy. The closest you'll probably ever see that is from his 88'-89' highlights. Just an amazing force.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:37 PM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
It wasn't just the cancer he was dealing with. He also had a chronic back problem that was so bad he couldn't even tie his own skates at times. Several of his former teammates said they'd see him wincing in pain trying to tie his skates and they'd have to do it for him.

It would be amazing to see how great he was "fully" healthy. The closest you'll probably ever see that is from his 88'-89' highlights. Just an amazing force.
Thanks for the response. It's kind of a difficult question to ask when it involves both cancer and a player so revered.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:59 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

I don't think he lost anything after the cancer in 1993 other than games played. Obviously, cancer can be life threatening, but once he beat it, I don't think it hurt him.

The chronic back problems were a much bigger issue IMO

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:11 AM
RabbinsDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I don't think he lost anything after the cancer in 1993 other than games played. Obviously, cancer can be life threatening, but once he beat it, I don't think it hurt him.

Yeah, it sounds ridiculous to downplay cancer but I do believe Mario's back ultimately made more of an impact on his game than cancer.

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:22 AM
Dark Shadows

vCash: 72
Quote:

Well, he would have suffered a few months of Radiation therapy side effects as well. Extreme fatigue being the most common.

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:25 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shadows View Post
Well, he would have suffered a few months of Radiation therapy side effects as well. Extreme fatigue being the most common.
Yeah, I get that, but it didn't seem to affect his performance on the ice, right? He scored at a higher pace in 1992-93 after coming back from treatment than he did before

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:05 AM
ssh

Quote:
Yeah, I get that, but it didn't seem to affect his performance on the ice, right? He scored at a higher pace in 1992-93 after coming back from treatment than he did before
He had some time to rest his back during the time off from hockey. Might be that it bothered him less than it did during the first part of the season.

ssh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:33 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
I remember when Lemieux finally came back he could barely skate anymore. Like he wasn't even sweating in post-game interviews. He just physically wasn't the same player he was in the 80's and early 90's, with the constantly moving legs and the shifty speed.

But the guy was still so damn talented he put up 76 points in 43 games. It was more than just talent, he had the on-ice vision and intelligence to efficiently get into dangerous spots on the ice and the hands to put the puck where it needed to be. It seemed like he was standing still in some games and he would still somehow have a goal or an assist by the 3rd period without fail.

One of the weirdest things I've ever seen.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:36 AM
tombombadil

Quote:

Good to see, and good thread question.

Cancer is a hot button topic, you don't wanna say too much. I grew up absolutely mindblown that Mario, and then Koivu, could not only defeat the most feared (maybe AIDS) killer out there, and come back and play well. The thing I have realized is that it CAN kill you, but if you beat it, you can also recover.

My brother in law got the same cancer as Lemieux a few years ago. He was 16, got definitely weakened by chimo (don't even know how to spell it), after several tries, they said it was gone. There was a period of time where he was skinny, and without energy, and just eating a lot again. But, and I think it was only about 6 months after they'd killed the cancer, he was back to competitive swimming - and, he never lost a beat. In fact, he did better the year after cancer, then he did the year before. Anyways, aside from learning technique, that sport is completely about performance/conditioning/power and has nothing to do with reading the game or linemates.

tombombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:49 AM
CLF4life
Bourque ** Lidstrom

Mario never had much speed and athleticism to begin with. He has said in interviews that his back problem caused more trouble than the cancer ever did.

CLF4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 09:39 AM
JWells16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLF4life View Post
Mario never had much speed and athleticism to begin with. He has said in interviews that his back problem caused more trouble than the cancer ever did.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:02 AM
MurphyDump

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLF4life View Post
Haha, that's funny. So because he was 6'4, he was slow? Ask anyone that played against him if he was slow. 2 of his strides were equal to 4 strides of any other player. I still laugh at people that say he was slow.

...and you're right, no athleticism at all. None. The guy was strong as hell and barely worked out early in his career. He scored goals through his legs, juggled pucks out of the air with his stick, and generally made people look stupid.

"Whenever we played Pittsburgh, you were almost thinking, 'I hope he's really not that interested in playing tonight' because you knew, when he did decide to play, he was unstoppable. And when he was just okay, he was the best player in the league."
- NHL goaltender Sean Burke.

"How many more points would he have had if he stayed reasonably healthy? Four hundred? Five hundred? Six hundred? We'll never know. No disrespect to Wayne Gretzky, Gordie Howe, Mark Messier, Bobby Orr, Gilbert Perreault ... but Mario did things nobody else could ever do."
- Hall of Fame forward Bryan Trottier

"What he can do, I couldn't do... He can do more things than any other player I've ever seen."-Bobby Orr on Mario Lemieux

I remember an NHL player saying that Mario doesn't beat you, he embarrasses you. He was that talented.

I'm pretty sure there's some athleticism there. If you watch some of his goals while he's hauling guys on his back, there's a bit of athleticism there.

MurphyDump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 12:39 PM
blamebettman*

I'm more amazed at how he was able to compete at such a high level with the back injuries + the smoking.

I remember waiting after a game to get an autograph...Tomas Sandstrom came out first and joked "hey waiting for mario?...don't worry you can smell when he's getting closer" sure enough he reeked of cigarettes.

what kind of lungs does he have? Bossy too.

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 01:41 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post

His hands and strength didn't seem to be effected at all by his health problems until real late in his career (around the second lockout).

Don't know if it would be his cancer recovery or his back, but after taking the 95 lockout season and most of the previous season off, he was waaaaaay slower in 95-96. Like moving 2/3 as fast as he did before. Of course, his hands being what they were, he still put up 160 that year.

billybudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:59 PM
CLF4life
Bourque ** Lidstrom

Holy **** people.. My comment was not putting him down or disrespecting his talent in any way.. He is the best player the NHL has ever seen.. He didn't have great speed but 2 of his strides = 4 normal strides. He had great vision and hand eye coordination but wasn't the most athletic. Calm down Mario is my fav player of all time

CLF4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamebettman View Post
I'm more amazed at how he was able to compete at such a high level with the back injuries + the smoking.

I remember waiting after a game to get an autograph...Tomas Sandstrom came out first and joked "hey waiting for mario?...don't worry you can smell when he's getting closer" sure enough he reeked of cigarettes.

what kind of lungs does he have? Bossy too.
Smoking causes back injury and cancer 1046% of the time

His main issue throughout his career was his back as others have said. After his radiation treatments were done, he was slower for a bit due to the fatigue that happens with stuff like that, but his back was rested as much as it could be, and he was fired up. He changed his style more, where he started playing LW a lot more than he used to.

Last edited by Long Duk Dong: 07-17-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:15 PM
Canadiens1958

Quickness and Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyDump View Post
Haha, that's funny. So because he was 6'4, he was slow? Ask anyone that played against him if he was slow. 2 of his strides were equal to 4 strides of any other player. I still laugh at people that say he was slow.

...and you're right, no athleticism at all. None. The guy was strong as hell and barely worked out early in his career. He scored goals through his legs, juggled pucks out of the air with his stick, and generally made people look stupid.

"Whenever we played Pittsburgh, you were almost thinking, 'I hope he's really not that interested in playing tonight' because you knew, when he did decide to play, he was unstoppable. And when he was just okay, he was the best player in the league."
- NHL goaltender Sean Burke.

"How many more points would he have had if he stayed reasonably healthy? Four hundred? Five hundred? Six hundred? We'll never know. No disrespect to Wayne Gretzky, Gordie Howe, Mark Messier, Bobby Orr, Gilbert Perreault ... but Mario did things nobody else could ever do."
- Hall of Fame forward Bryan Trottier

"What he can do, I couldn't do... He can do more things than any other player I've ever seen."-Bobby Orr on Mario Lemieux

I remember an NHL player saying that Mario doesn't beat you, he embarrasses you. He was that talented.

I'm pretty sure there's some athleticism there. If you watch some of his goals while he's hauling guys on his back, there's a bit of athleticism there.
Mario Lemieux relied on quickness and balance plus vision and hand/eye coordination.He also understood the geometry of hockey better than most forwards, Gretzky being one exception.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Big Phil

Yes, definitely the back injuries affected him more than cancer did. Strange to say that. But Mario came back to the NHL, was 12 points behind Lafontaine for the lead league and racked up 56 points in his final 20 games and ended up 12 points better than Lafontaine. Amazing. Who on earth could do that with 20 games left? Not to mention the Penguins won a still NHL record 17 games in a row when he returned.

I always thought from 1984-'90 was when you saw Mario make the most dazzling moves. This is when he outright embarassed defenders. Then in 1990 he had to end his point streak because of his back. You hate to say he was never the same again, because he was still dominant afterwards, but he may have lost a bit of his speed at that time.

That being said, post 1990 he still scored some highlight reel goals that made your jaw drop, but as someone said, a 1989 Lemieux was better than he had ever been.

I remember Paul Kariya commenting during the 2002 Olympics that he didn't realize how fast Mario was. His comment was "he can flat out fly!" This is a 36 year old Lemieux coming from a speedy Kariya. It was his back that forced him to retire in 1997 though if that tells you anything

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:03 AM
seventieslord

I'll be honest, I never saw Lemieux as a guy who moved very fast either. I thought he had every other physical tool that existed, but not breakaway speed.

I mean, no one's calling him slow, but... you wouldn't have said he was among the 10, 20, 30 best skaters in the league, or ever the best on his own team, would you?

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:15 AM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I'll be honest, I never saw Lemieux as a guy who moved very fast either. I thought he had every other physical tool that existed, but not breakaway speed.

I mean, no one's calling him slow, but... you wouldn't have said he was among the 10, 20, 30 best skaters in the league, or ever the best on his own team, would you?
He wasn't exactly Pavel Bure, but I wouldn't call him unathletic by any means, and certainly not compared to someone like Espo. There's obviously other factors at work too: His speed was deceptive due to his size and the greats know how to alter the speed of the game to suit theirs. I mean, calling Mario slow is like calling Marcus Allen slow. They're not going to win a "speed competition", but all they need is that one gap, because they know how to get the opponent out of position and more effectively use what speed they do have.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:28 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
He wasn't exactly Pavel Bure, but I wouldn't call him unathletic by any means, and certainly not compared to someone like Espo. There's obviously other factors at work too: His speed was deceptive due to his size and the greats know how to alter the speed of the game to suit theirs. I mean, calling Mario slow is like calling Marcus Allen slow. They're not going to win a "speed competition", but all they need is that one gap, because they know how to get the opponent out of position and more effectively use what speed they do have.
I totally agree. But if it was just a race from one end of the rink to the other...

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:11 PM
gretzkyoilers

From 2001. The Big Man could move:

gretzkyoilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:11 PM
Johnny Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzkyoilers View Post
From 2001. The Big Man could move:

Keeping in mind that he's blowing past an awkward man-child version of a player who had mobility issues before, and even a little bit after he became an elite player, who was caught trying to turn on the play.

I suppose you could say this is vintage Mario - doing exactly what he had to do to make the play.

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Bexlyspeed

Mario's game wasnt speed based , but he had it and used it when he needed it. i mean he'd come at the defender(s) turn him inside out then take off to the net., he didnt use his speed like a bure or lafleur, but he definetly had it.

IMO the greatest player ever

and i like said countless times earlier, it was the back that game him the most problems, although im sure he felt the effects, both physically and emotionally, of the cancer for a while.

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote