HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Mario Lemieux after the cancer

Old
07-18-2012, 03:21 PM
tony d
Is it though?

vCash: 500
Lemieux was an amazing player. You have to wonder what kind of numbers he would have put up if he didn't have all those injuries. I figure he would have hit 200 points in 1992-1993 had he not gotten Cancer.

07-18-2012, 03:26 PM
McSorleyStick
GIJON !

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Lemieux was an amazing player. You have to wonder what kind of numbers he would have put up if he didn't have all those injuries. I figure he would have hit 200 points in 1992-1993 had he not gotten Cancer.
IMO he was more spectacular to watch than Gretzky

A real magician

And those hands for a big guy

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:21 PM
billybudd
5 cups pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post

A real magician

Yeah, Mario did more obviously unbelievable things.

Though if you start looking really close at videos of goals scored when Gretzky was on the ice to try and trace the "why's" of what happened to cause the goal, Gretzky more than levels the playing field, though. Just so many moves ahead of everyone else.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 11:00 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I'll be honest, I never saw Lemieux as a guy who moved very fast either. I thought he had every other physical tool that existed, but not breakaway speed.

I mean, no one's calling him slow, but... you wouldn't have said he was among the 10, 20, 30 best skaters in the league, or ever the best on his own team, would you?
He had gears. He used them when he saw fit. This is what made him look lazy out there but he wasn't, he was just studying the game at the time, kind of the way Gretzky did. Not to mention he had long strides. Sometimes a player with a quick choppy stride looks faster. Maybe they are, but for some reason a smoother skater like Paul Coffey will look slower when he really isn't.

Yeah I know we've seen this goal 100 times. But just watch it from a speed point of view. This is 1991, right in the middle of Mario's prime. He could fly the like wind if he wanted to, and on this play he does.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 06:47 AM
Bexlyspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
He had gears. He used them when he saw fit. This is what made him look lazy out there but he wasn't, he was just studying the game at the time, kind of the way Gretzky did. Not to mention he had long strides. Sometimes a player with a quick choppy stride looks faster. Maybe they are, but for some reason a smoother skater like Paul Coffey will look slower when he really isn't.

Yeah I know we've seen this goal 100 times. But just watch it from a speed point of view. This is 1991, right in the middle of Mario's prime. He could fly the like wind if he wanted to, and on this play he does.
you know whats impressive about that goal too is how he receives the puck, he is hitting his stride and the pass is way behind him and he doesnt even flinch, reaches way back controls it without a hiccup! he was an Artist!

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Over 84 games he was on pace for 97 goals and 224 points that season.

As per the topic, he definitely lost a step after taking the 94-95 season off. When he came back in 95-96, he was a bit slower and shied away from beating dmen one on one as much as he used to. He depended more on his linemates to carry the puck through the neutral zone as well. Then when he came back in 2000, he was obviously much slower and depended heavily on Jagr and Kovalev to carry the puck. It was still amazing to watch because it showed that even with an old broken down body he could out produce everyone. It was a testament to his hockey iq.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
Over 84 games he was on pace for 97 goals and 224 points that season.

As per the topic, he definitely lost a step after taking the 94-95 season off. When he came back in 95-96, he was a bit slower and shied away from beating dmen one on one as much as he used to. He depended more on his linemates to carry the puck through the neutral zone as well. Then when he came back in 2000, he was obviously much slower and depended heavily on Jagr and Kovalev to carry the puck. It was still amazing to watch because it showed that even with an old broken down body he could out produce everyone. It was a testament to his hockey iq.
Yes in 1995-'96 he did lose a step I think. Taking a year off when you are 29-30 years old will hurt. Yet he scored 161 points and was still the best player in the NHL. He still scored some highlight reel goals at that time (the in between the legs goal against Vancouver) but he relied a lot more on his hockey sense, his reach, his size, his shot and his hands. He still cradles the puck very well. The one-on-one stuff with the defenders wasn't happening as often because of his back, but he still handled the puck better than anyone in the NHL at that time. Here he is in the 1995-'96 season

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed View Post
you know whats impressive about that goal too is how he receives the puck, he is hitting his stride and the pass is way behind him and he doesnt even flinch, reaches way back controls it without a hiccup! he was an Artist!
I think that is exactly it. He could do things with the puck at speed. He could move his feet almost as quickly with the puck on his stick as without it. It's just a different skill altogether. There are a lot of very fast and strong skaters, but not many can do it while carrying the puck. It's as though he learned how to skate with the puck on his stick.

There are so many memorable plays by Lemieux, but I remember admiring one in particular where he didn't even touch the puck. It was the Olympics, a 3 on 2 break, and the far skater (Sakic, I think) passed the puck wide. Lemieux was coming up the middle. He let the puck slide through his feet to the far skater (Kariya, I think), who scored. It was just so fluid.

Edit: here is the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb7M9JVnPO4 It was a pass from Pronger to Kariya against the US.

Last edited by Souffle: 07-20-2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Found a link; therefore, it happened.
Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 05:37 PM
vadim sharifijanov
thanks chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post

A real magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post

ten years ago, i was in a beer league where there was this 6'4" guy who had crazy good hands. just weaved around the rest of us and dragged the puck from side to side and we couldn't touch it. that was when i noticed that i'd played with and against a lot of guys of that size, but it's rare that a tall guy can use that kind of wingspan to basically play keep away.

similar stride to mario's. it looked like he was playing the game in slow motion and i'm a pretty quick skater, but i was chasing the puck with a head start on him and he beat me to it clean.

granted that guy probably wouldn't have lasted one shift in the CHL, but still, it made me understand the genius of mario a little more, and feel for the guys he made look like pylons.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 05:05 PM
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone

That goal against the North Stars is a perfect example of the speed he had in his prime. I counted 4 seconds from the time he first touched the puck in his end 'til he put it in the net.

Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzkyoilers View Post
From 2001. The Big Man could move:

Yea... thats not exactly the player to strengthen your argument....

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote