HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help with falling

Old
07-13-2012, 10:57 AM
pnewsom

vCash: 500
Help with falling

I keep hitting the point on my hips when I fall. Seems to take awhile to get over the damage, and reinjury is easy. Aside from improving my pants for protection, is there anything I could learn to avoid this sort of injury?
I started playing late in life, and have been at it for about four years.

pnewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:05 AM
AIREAYE

Is there a gap between the padding in your pants and your hip? Or are the pants flush against it?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Canadiens1958

Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewsom View Post
I keep hitting the point on my hips when I fall. Seems to take awhile to get over the damage, and reinjury is easy. Aside from improving my pants for protection, is there anything I could learn to avoid this sort of injury?
The following basics should be considered. Are your skates properly fitted and sharpened? Is your stick the right length?

When do you fall? At random or when executing a certain move. Example when turning to your left, trying to stop, etc?

Do you fall to the ice or crash into the boards/net, etc?

Is contact with other players a factor?

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Some pants are more heavily padded than others. Maybe you need bulkier pants?

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:42 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What pants are you wearing? What size and what's your height/weight/build?

I've found poorly fitting pants, either too big or small, hurt just as much as cheap pants that don't have adequate padding in the hips.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Jive Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Some pants are more heavily padded than others. Maybe you need bulkier pants?
This is a well traveled topic here. I started playing with some really crappy ITECHs and regularly had bruised hip issues. Picked up some Tackla 9000s and now it's like landing on pillows. I still hit the deck a lot but it's never been a problem since.

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The only times I've hurt my hips where when I first started as an adult playing with $40 pants from Dick's and the one game I tried to wear a pair of Tacklas that were way too small.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:37 PM
pnewsom

The pants are Bauer Vapor XXXX, fit quite well, but seem to be a little shy in the padding in that area.
I'm 6', 180lbs, large framed, and in fairly good condition. Been skating for about four years, started at age 53.

I play in a recreational group, three times a week, year round. We play pretty fast, with a wide range of skill levels. I also take hockey skills courses.

I don't fall every game, but when I do I keep nailing the hip. The main causes are collisions,(right hip) and catching an outside edge during a transition(left hip).

The falls happen fast and somehow I've been winding up on one hip or the other. Once that muscle is smacked good it stays knotted up and tender for a long time. It may be that I'm falling awkwardly somehow.

I'll take my pants to a equipment repair place and see about adding some extra padding in the hip areas.

Old
07-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Stickchecked

I have the exact same problem. I've gotta fall in just the right way but when I do, it's flush on the hip bone and hurts for days.

I'm in the process of looking for new pants and have tried on a bunch of different ones, recently right after I fell hard, so it was very easy to pinpoint which pants covered that area and which pants didn't.

They're pricey, but CCM U+ CL covered that spot / had the best padding of the pants I tried. Unfortunately, they run too short for me. But I feel confident you wouldn't injure that spot again with those pants.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:46 PM
oldfart

Quote:
I'm assuming when you say 'point' you are meaning the iliac crest or are you meaning the greater trochanter on the upper femur?
I'm tryin to imagine a pointer injury at the crest. Those usually come from hard hip checks to the bds. And hip checks seem to be a lost art these days - much more activity to the upper torso. Otherwise falling down - thats usually the butt bone (coccyx) or sometimes the sitzbones...
If its the trochanter, and the pants are more than just fabric and have padding, it could be that the pants are too big. If they're too big and the pads shift around during a fall, you could be landing directly on the trochanter...
There's a fine line to fit. You want the pant to sit snug on the hip, but with good leg mobility... If they're really loose and floppy at the hip then shifting can happen easily.

Or if the pads are just not placed well for your build...

I'd suggest going to a shop and trying on pants. Bring yours along for comparo. Try on your current size in other brands, and then try on one size down in some. Not that you would buy downsized, but the tighter fit might give you a better idea of the diff. between good pad contact and too loose. Then you can find the right compromise if you do start shoppin...

oldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:26 PM
pnewsom

It's the trochanter that I'm landing on. I think it is getting exposed between the pads. The padding is not real thick on these pants, and it is perforated to reduce weight and breath better. Perhaps additional padding can be added somehow.

Old
07-14-2012, 11:49 PM
Canadiens1958

Skates and Skating

Quote:
The pants are Bauer Vapor XXXX, fit quite well, but seem to be a little shy in the padding in that area.
I'm 6', 180lbs, large framed, and in fairly good condition. Been skating for about four years, started at age 53.

I play in a recreational group, three times a week, year round. We play pretty fast, with a wide range of skill levels. I also take hockey skills courses.

I don't fall every game, but when I do I keep nailing the hip. The main causes are collisions,(right hip) and catching an outside edge during a transition(left hip).
The falls happen fast and somehow I've been winding up on one hip or the other. Once that muscle is smacked good it stays knotted up and tender for a long time. It may be that I'm falling awkwardly somehow.

I'll take my pants to a equipment repair place and see about adding some extra padding in the hip areas.
Talk to the skating instructor of your hockey skills course. You have identified two specific circumstances when you fall plus you ar playing with and against a wide skill range. This means your reaction time is variable - more time against weak players, less against strong players. Transition left hip injury points to a transition problem - go thru your transition movements on the ice with the skating instructor.

Collision - right hip learn how to abosrb and manage collisions even if incidental. Could be a balance problem when you skate. Talk to the appropriate hockey skills instructors - skating and checking. Body position and balance.

Also the repeated catching of an edge when you transition may mean that you should explain the situation to the skate sharpening guys after talking with the instructor and you may have to slightly change the type of cut you have or the frequency.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 07-14-2012 at 11:52 PM. Reason: addition.
Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:33 AM
pnewsom

Thanks to everyone for the helpful responses. I went looking for pants yesterday and came away with a pair of Bauer Supremes. They seem to offer more protection than my old Vapours, and I also moved down a size so they fit better too. I'll find out tomorrow when I play in the morning.

Old
07-15-2012, 08:58 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the helpful responses. I went looking for pants yesterday and came away with a pair of Bauer Supremes. They seem to offer more protection than my old Vapours, and I also moved down a size so they fit better too. I'll find out tomorrow when I play in the morning.
I admire your grit and determination for starting to play at age 53 ! That is AWESOME ! Enjoy yourself !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:22 PM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
I admire your grit and determination for starting to play at age 53 ! That is AWESOME ! Enjoy yourself !
Very cool! I can relate to starting over at 53, I played years ago and took a 32 year break to race motorcycles.. Now I wish I would have started again much sooner!

As SgtJoseph said enjoy yourself and have fun!

Last edited by clayman: 07-15-2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Good luck to you pnewsome!
clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:10 AM
pnewsom

Thanks SgtJoseph and clayman! I know guys who are still playing in their seventies and that's I want do be doing when I get there. Such a great game and can be enjoyed at almost any level if you are playing with the right people.
Aside for the aches and pains that sometime accompany the game, it's a fantastic way to stay in shape, and feel like you're still alive.

The size medium Buaer Supremes I bought turned out to be a little small so I wound up with a pair of Eagle Talons, which are a clone of the Tackla 1051's. Excellent fit and hopefully good protection. Wore them in a game this morning and everything felt good.

Old
07-17-2012, 12:21 PM
oldfart

Quote:
Thanks SgtJoseph and clayman! I know guys who are still playing in their seventies and that's I want do be doing when I get there. Such a great game and can be enjoyed at almost any level if you are playing with the right people.
The size medium Buaer Supremes I bought turned out to be a little small so I wound up with a pair of Eagle Talons, which are a clone of the Tackla 1051's. Excellent fit and hopefully good protection. Wore them in a game this morning and everything felt good.
Glad you got the fit sortted, good pants last a long time and effort to get the best fit is well worth it.

Yeah, the game is addicting - I forgot how much. I too made "re-entry" just 2 months ago at 63, after being off skating and hockey since '84...
Playin pickup 2x/wk now for about 6 wks with guys in their 20's, 30's and early 40's. A Great challenge to be on the ice with them, some of who are quite quick and highly skilled - nice!
There are 2 other guys who show intermittently, in their early 50's.
Skating and on-ice sense is coming back quickly, but with stick skills I'm still writing checks I can't cash... but that's to be expected.
... would be great to have an 'Over-50' sticky thread for those special needs of us senior goons...

oldfart is offline   Reply With Quote