HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The anti-hockey lineup

Old
07-19-2012, 09:55 PM
Harnessed in Slums

vCash: 500
The anti-hockey lineup

So we haven't been able to put together a lineup that can continue to play the beautiful puck possession game of hockey. Babs has proven he can win by playing a very defensively sound brand of hockey. We're solid in net, all this requires is a lineup that is big, mobile, and good at making sure absolutely nothing happens.

Now let me make one thing clear: Mike Babcock does not assemble the team; he simply coaches the pieces he is given. Since we can't play beautiful puck possession hockey perhaps the best decision at this point is to play anti-hockey. The goal is to win 1-0 or 2-1 games, get to lots of OT and shootout games. And since the hockey ain't much fun put a couple fighters in the lineup to keep the paying fans entertained.

So with that out of the way here we go.

FORWARDS
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)
Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.875m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.400m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.900m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)
Carlo Colaiacovo ($3.500m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,383,712; BONUSES: $460,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $12,816,288

The defense is obviously very scary but at least at forward we have a lot of guys very well schooled in backchecking and being responsible. The top 6 is decent and has quite a few offensive talents although Pavs, Z, Sammy and Mule are getting long in the tooth. Filppula is just hitting his stride and Nyquist has lots of potential. Unfortunately Brunner gets squeezed and relegated to Grand Rapids Siberia. Have fun! All kidding aside there will be some good, young prospects for him to work with.

The big change is the bottom 6. Say peace out to Dan Cleary, give Todd Bertuzzi the memorial Tomas Holmstrom/Kirk Maltby/Kris Draper/Chris Chelios press box seat, and go with some big, young, mobile forwards. That means bringing up Andersson and Sheahan. Neither guy has any offensive talent to speak of but they can shut the opposition down and play a physical game, which Babs can work with.

The only addition on defense is CC. He'll probably suffer a season ending paper cut the first day of training camp but he's worth the risk on a short-term deal. And hey, we have all kinds of salary cap space and prospects to totally swing a deal to improve our hockey club if necessary!!!

Seriously, in Babs I trust. Holland has failed miserably these past few seasons and the bare minimum he can do at this point is give Babcock everything he asks for. If we end up losing Babcock because of Holland's timid nature there's simply no hope for this franchise going forward.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:13 PM
jroc86

I like allot of your lineup - especially bringing up Sheahan and Anderson. We are still a good team, but not a great one. We have enough veteran presence and skill to throw in our rookies and give them meaningful roles and let them develop (ie. Philly last year). hungry minds + lively legs + big bodies = good. I alsowant to see Brunner get every chance to prove he can hang. This guy looks special and if given enough rope could be a late bloomer like Pav and be real success.

Dats, Z, Kronner are still young enough that we can develop our kids - snag a few good UFA's next year (quiet down pessimists) and make another run in a year or two.

Nyquist Datsyuk Filpula
Franzen Zetterberg Samulsen
Bertuzzi Helm Brunner
Sheahan Adbelkader Tootoo
Miller Anderson Cleary

Insert any realiable UFA available and I think our younger d-core will do better than expected if healthy.

Howie and Monster in goal is a tandem im confident with.

*Semin or Doan would suprise me now either. This weeks its bcome apparent Holland has had rods in the water for Nash and Weber and has been ****-blocked at both instances. Expect him to turn to one of these guys more aggresivley now.

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:17 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Bertuzzi has a healthy scratch? So that softies like Sammy, Miller and co can play?
Andersson on the third line ahead of Tootoo, Cleary and Bertuzzi? And this his a way to get tougher?

I don't see it.
What I'd like to see, if there are no more changes

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:20 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

I just want to point out that, if the Wings don't do something to improve their puck possession game, their defense is going to get hammered this year.

Over the years, the Wings defense has benefitted because we keep the puck in their end. If we start dumping and chasing... things are going to get real ugly in Hockeytown

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post

FORWARDS
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)
Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.875m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.400m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.900m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)
Carlo Colaiacovo ($3.500m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,383,712; BONUSES: $460,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $12,816,288
That is a 4th line I would love to see given a chance. I'd like to see Brunner in place of Andersson in your line-up, not a big player, but imagine the speed that 3rd line would have with Helm and Brunner. Miller can skate decent too.

Oh, and god I hate seeing Samuelsson in our top 6 haha.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:24 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Bertuzzi has a healthy scratch? So that softies like Sammy, Miller and co can play?
Andersson on the third line ahead of Tootoo, Cleary and Bertuzzi? And this his a way to get tougher?

I don't see it.
What I'd like to see, if there are no more changes
This is only the second time in history I've ever agreed with Bobsy. There's no way Bert is a scratch.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

I don't think this is the line-up he is actually expecting to see, more of the line-up he hopes to see. Could be wrong though. Because there's no way Cleary and Bertuzzi aren't on the roster, and probably Brunner too.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:29 PM
joe89

As long as we have Pavel and Z, and and a top six with six Europeans, we will not play "anti-hockey", at least I don't think that's the right word. But we can stop playing naive hockey already. This is a group of guys that has to work their behind off in order to succeed. If you don't feel like working hard(Hi Franzen and Bert), you're welcome to the pressbox.

Our bottom six on forward is the least of my problem with this team right now.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
As long as we have Pavel and Z, and and a top six with six Europeans, we will not play "anti-hockey", at least I don't think that's the right word. But we can stop playing naive hockey already. This is a group of guys that has to work their behind off in order to succeed. If you don't feel like working hard(Hi Franzen and Bert), you're welcome to the pressbox.

Our bottom six on forward is the least of my problem with this team right now.
Well the top 6 has talent but also has two-way hockey players. The only guy who isn't a two way hockey player is Mule. So there's skill but it sacrifices very little in the way of responsible defensive play.

Sorry but Bert is old and slow and doesn't do much. Same with Cleary. They were both good players but their time has come and gone. The idea is to ice a bottom six with size, mobility and physicality that can get after the opposing defense. I know a lot of you have no idea what a forecheck looks like given how long it's been since we've had a balls to the wall bottom 6 but with guys like Helm, Miller, Andersson, Abdelkder, Sheahan and Tootoo you'd remember what a forecheck looks like. And you'll like it, trust me. A forecheck requires speed and a bit of size, something our bottom 6 has sorely lacked.

I am not crazy about our defense but we have the cap space and prospects to improve it if the right deal falls into our laps, well maybe sits in our lap unlike the Zach Bogosian "trade".

Old
07-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

We have a bunch of offensive minded d-men as well. With the exception of Kronwall I don't think any of them are very good but they certainly aren't built for anti hockey. Just anti good. Helm will play with Tootoo because of speed. Dunno who will be on the other wing. Brunner? We have a glut of bottom 6 guys. Who knows who will be left after camp. I think Cleary will be better this year after his knee surgery.

Capsized is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Macoun

semin-datsyuk-bertuzzi/nyquist

franzen-zetterberg-brunner

cleary-filppula-samuelsson

abdelk-helm-tootoo

miller-eaves

kronwall-quincey

ericsson-y.weber

smith-white

kindl

Thats one weakass defense lol. I figure we will most likely make that deal with Montreal for Weber. He's a carbon copy of White just less phyiscal.

Macoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 07:08 AM
Chris 84

with this d, we cannot play anti-hockey. kronwall, smith, quincey, white, colaiacovo, even kindl are all attack first. not saying that kronwall isn't a good defender too, but still. the rangers play good anti-hockey defence, but that's cos most of their d-men are defend first, throw yourself in front of everything, etc, etc. their forwards do likewise in general, and allow richards, gaborik and ainisimov to play. but OUR richards and gaborik (datsyuk and zetterberg) are also our best defensive players and we don't wnat to waste them in a defensive role. our potential top 6 forwards like franzen, bertuzzi, samuelsson, nyqvist, brunner simply can't play the callahan/dubinsky roles. filppula can to an extent, but again, it wastes him.

to cut a long story short, we don't have the personnel to play in any way other than an attacking, creative sort of manner.

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 07:30 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post
with this d, we cannot play anti-hockey. kronwall, smith, quincey, white, colaiacovo, even kindl are all attack first. not saying that kronwall isn't a good defender too, but still. the rangers play good anti-hockey defence, but that's cos most of their d-men are defend first, throw yourself in front of everything, etc, etc. their forwards do likewise in general, and allow richards, gaborik and ainisimov to play. but OUR richards and gaborik (datsyuk and zetterberg) are also our best defensive players and we don't wnat to waste them in a defensive role. our potential top 6 forwards like franzen, bertuzzi, samuelsson, nyqvist, brunner simply can't play the callahan/dubinsky roles. filppula can to an extent, but again, it wastes him.

to cut a long story short, we don't have the personnel to play in any way other than an attacking, creative sort of manner.
BINGO

we flat out dont have enough "real-hockey" players and instead are filled with too mnay "anti-hockey" players

lets please make sure we get those terms correct from now on

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 08:01 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

ah, what a heck...Wings, the gritty version.

Eaves - Helm - Miller
Cleary - Andersson - Bertuzzi
Abdelkader - Sheahan - Tootoo
Ferraro - Aubry - M.Callahan

Kronwall - Ericsson
Smith - Quincey
B.Lashoff - Paetsch

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 08:01 AM
InjuredChoker

Babs intelligence will surely be tested.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:

While it's clearly a favorite pastime for some here, let's not get too fond of blowing smoke up our own *****. We no longer have Norris caliber d-men like Cheli and Lidstrom. We do not have elite offensive defensemen like Brian Rafalski. We have one solid, proven puck mover in Niklas Kronwall and it remains to be seen how well he adapts to being the clear #1 in Detroit.

Ericsson: I'm one of his biggest fans and even I view him as a defensive defenseman.
Quincey: Really seems to play better when he keeps it simple.
Smith: May struggle a bit early on but has tons of potential.
Kindl: Remains to be seen

So yeah, one guy who is a proven puck mover/offensive defenseman. With a more aggressive forecheck it would make life easier for our D and putting out a 11 forwards who can play defense/backcheck would mean Mule is the only one that is clueless when it comes to playing defense. Get the D-men to become proficient at blocking shots and we can be the Western Conference version of the New Jersey Devils until our prospects develop, we somehow sign quality UFAs, or we make trades to improve our hockey club.

Seriously.

Old
07-20-2012, 09:21 AM
Chris 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
BINGO

we flat out dont have enough "real-hockey" players and instead are filled with too mnay "anti-hockey" players

lets please make sure we get those terms correct from now on
to me, neither style of player should be denigrated. you need the flair players and you need the gritty players. it helps when the flair players can do it all (eg datsyuk, zetterberg, fedorov, yzerman, etc), but it also helps when the gritty players can do more than forecheck, fight, etc. the grind line was so effective cos they could all play a bit as well. such well-rounded players don't grow on trees, so sometimes you have to put up with more one dimensional players.

Quote:
While it's clearly a favorite pastime for some here, let's not get too fond of blowing smoke up our own *****. We no longer have Norris caliber d-men like Cheli and Lidstrom. We do not have elite offensive defensemen like Brian Rafalski. We have one solid, proven puck mover in Niklas Kronwall and it remains to be seen how well he adapts to being the clear #1 in Detroit.

Ericsson: I'm one of his biggest fans and even I view him as a defensive defenseman.
Quincey: Really seems to play better when he keeps it simple.
Smith: May struggle a bit early on but has tons of potential.
Kindl: Remains to be seen

So yeah, one guy who is a proven puck mover/offensive defenseman. With a more aggressive forecheck it would make life easier for our D and putting out a 11 forwards who can play defense/backcheck would mean Mule is the only one that is clueless when it comes to playing defense. Get the D-men to become proficient at blocking shots and we can be the Western Conference version of the New Jersey Devils until our prospects develop, we somehow sign quality UFAs, or we make trades to improve our hockey club.

Seriously.
i'm not blowing smoke up anything. i just think we should play to our strengths, and our strengths right now are datsyuk and zetterberg (and, based on last season at least, filppula).

we can't just "get the d-men to become proficient at blocking shots". i'm not saying that coaching, etc doesn't help to a degree, but ian white, for example, is just never going to be a great shot blocker. a good forecheck would help the d, but an average one will just be surrendering possession a lot of the time, and personally, i don't see your lineup as being particularly great.

as a side note, i wouldnt mind andersson and/or sheahan given a chance, but pencilling in 2 unproven players to help cement our new playing style is a bit risky, surely?

Old
07-20-2012, 09:36 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
i'm not blowing smoke up anything. i just think we should play to our strengths, and our strengths right now are datsyuk and zetterberg (and, based on last season at least, filppula).

we can't just "get the d-men to become proficient at blocking shots". i'm not saying that coaching, etc doesn't help to a degree, but ian white, for example, is just never going to be a great shot blocker. a good forecheck would help the d, but an average one will just be surrendering possession a lot of the time, and personally, i don't see your lineup as being particularly great.

as a side note, i wouldnt mind andersson and/or sheahan given a chance, but pencilling in 2 unproven players to help cement our new playing style is a bit risky, surely?
Well the DRW puck possession attack has always been based on getting the offense going from the defense. A player like Nick Lidstrom can quickly read what is going on and get the puck on the tape of the forward already moving up in attack mode. Brian Rafalski has superior vision and the same thing, find the open guy and the puck is on his tape in a really good spot.

Are you suggesting Ian White can do this? Funny how he's bounced around quite bit seeing as he apparently has all this skill. For the record I have him on the third pairing and I hope Jakub Kindl can challenge him a bit for ice time.

Do you think Kyle Quincey really has this type of skill to master puck possession hockey? I've followed him since he debuted with the Wings and he definitely can play a physical game but he brain farts hella hard when pressured. E also isn't the best with getting the breakout going by headmanning the puck. A safe, simple play is best.

So please understand I am looking at our defense and understand we do not have elite offensive defensemen who can generate an attack the way we always have with our puck possession game. Fil and Pavs and Z are going to have to come back into our defensive zone to get simple, safe passes from E, Q and Kindl. They are not going to be screaming through the neutral zone with open ice and a puck heading directly onto the tape of their stick.

I am not saying we strictly use Pavs, Z and Fil as defensive forwards, they will be on scoring lines. What I am saying is utilizing a bottom 6 with size, speed and physical play would allow us to forecheck much more and better control the territory as far as how the game plays out. Just go back and watch our bottom 6 with Helm and Emmerton last year and how they could never get out of their own zone.

We definitely don't want to repeat that with no Nick Lidstrom and no Brad Stuart. It would be suicide. Bigger, stronger, faster forwards will make our bottom 6 much better.

Old
07-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

To become an aggressive forechecking team you need speed. With the exception of Helm and possibly Tootoo this team is pretty slow. A slow forecheck puts more pressure on your D. If your going to play dump and chase which I assume you are proposing, who is gonna chase? The way the team is built they need to possess the puck as much as possible. Otherwise they are gonna get caught deep and our swiss cheese D is going to get burned left and right. Sure you can improve your winning percentage with a system but you have to have players who can execute that system. I don't think people realize how much this team is going to miss Lidstrom. Even at 70-80% Nick was one of the best in the game. His first pass ability and smarts almost always led to possession and pressure. With that missing this team is going to suffer big time. How much remains to be seen but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them miss the playoffs.
Quote:

Old
07-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Well Said. I totally agree.
Quote:
Well the DRW puck possession attack has always been based on getting the offense going from the defense. A player like Nick Lidstrom can quickly read what is going on and get the puck on the tape of the forward already moving up in attack mode. Brian Rafalski has superior vision and the same thing, find the open guy and the puck is on his tape in a really good spot.

Are you suggesting Ian White can do this? Funny how he's bounced around quite bit seeing as he apparently has all this skill. For the record I have him on the third pairing and I hope Jakub Kindl can challenge him a bit for ice time.

Do you think Kyle Quincey really has this type of skill to master puck possession hockey? I've followed him since he debuted with the Wings and he definitely can play a physical game but he brain farts hella hard when pressured. E also isn't the best with getting the breakout going by headmanning the puck. A safe, simple play is best.

So please understand I am looking at our defense and understand we do not have elite offensive defensemen who can generate an attack the way we always have with our puck possession game. Fil and Pavs and Z are going to have to come back into our defensive zone to get simple, safe passes from E, Q and Kindl. They are not going to be screaming through the neutral zone with open ice and a puck heading directly onto the tape of their stick.

I am not saying we strictly use Pavs, Z and Fil as defensive forwards, they will be on scoring lines. What I am saying is utilizing a bottom 6 with size, speed and physical play would allow us to forecheck much more and better control the territory as far as how the game plays out. Just go back and watch our bottom 6 with Helm and Emmerton last year and how they could never get out of their own zone.

We definitely don't want to repeat that with no Nick Lidstrom and no Brad Stuart. It would be suicide. Bigger, stronger, faster forwards will make our bottom 6 much better.

Old
07-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Chris 84

Quote:

i'm not suggesting that ian white is some passing grand master. i don't regard our d as a great puck-moving one. but it is more of an offensive, possession-style d than a gritty shotblocking, responsible one imo.

i agree with you that we need more speed and physicality on the bottom 6. i just don't think that requires a radical overhaul of the team's playing style. how fast are andersson and sheahan btw? i know andersson can skate, but he isnt thaat quick is he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
To become an aggressive forechecking team you need speed. With the exception of Helm and possibly Tootoo this team is pretty slow. A slow forecheck puts more pressure on your D. If your going to play dump and chase which I assume you are proposing, who is gonna chase? The way the team is built they need to possess the puck as much as possible. Otherwise they are gonna get caught deep and our swiss cheese D is going to get burned left and right. Sure you can improve your winning percentage with a system but you have to have players who can execute that system. I don't think people realize how much this team is going to miss Lidstrom. Even at 70-80% Nick was one of the best in the game. His first pass ability and smarts almost always led to possession and pressure. With that missing this team is going to suffer big time. How much remains to be seen but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them miss the playoffs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
Well Said. I totally agree.
i don't fully understand who you agree and disagree with because although i think you agree with me, that would mean you had quoted myself and fabricoh the wrong way around?

Old
07-20-2012, 03:59 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
how fast are andersson and sheahan btw? i know andersson can skate, but he isnt thaat quick is he?
Andersson's skating while it has improved is average to below average by NHL standards. It is his skating that will probably force him to be a winger instead on a center.

Sheahan's skating is very good which is to be expected out of a first rounder. Not many guys are picked that high that have that as a major concern. Sheahan has jets for someone his size, part of the reason you always hear about how advanced he is defensively is he closes down lanes and shooting areas with very good bursts of speed. His skating could probably use a year of pro development but he is already above average even in terms of the NHL. He is going to be a big fast defensively responsible center, it is whether or not he becomes a scorer that is the question he has those tools too, but needs to develop them.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
i'm not suggesting that ian white is some passing grand master. i don't regard our d as a great puck-moving one. but it is more of an offensive, possession-style d than a gritty shotblocking, responsible one imo.

i agree with you that we need more speed and physicality on the bottom 6. i just don't think that requires a radical overhaul of the team's playing style. how fast are andersson and sheahan btw? i know andersson can skate, but he isnt thaat quick is he?
First off we have defenders who are better at shot blocking and being physical than being great positionally or generating offense.

Ericsson: best as a defensive d-man who can block shots.
Quincey: ditto, I think he'll disappoint as an offensive defenseman.
Kindl: who really knows but keeping it simple should help him out.
Smith: relishes physical play and is our lone hope at joining Kronner.

White is kind of in no man's land. He looked terrible without Lidstrom last year. I'd keep him on the 3rd line and give him PP time given his right-handedness. He's basically a d-man version of Jiri Hudler.

Andersson can skate just fine. Don't take my word, Mike Babcock said his skating is fine, he just needs to be a bit better about pace. Well in Detroit he'd play on a bottom 6 line and get a boatload of PK time, where he really shines. So we're talking about 15 mins a game. Also he'd play on the wing in this scenario so his skating would be much less of a focus, particularly if Helm's centering that line.

Sheahan can skate and is an excellent defensive forward. We could dick around and stick him in Grand Rapids and hope his offense develops or we could put him in Detroit and let him contribute immediately and see if he can eventually develop the offensive game that disappeared the second he set foot in South Bend, IN. The Wings put him in the lineup late in the regular season which bodes well for his chances to become a contributor fairly quickly.

We've tried a small, slow, old, weak bottom six and it sucked. Hard. Let's try something different and see what the hell happens.

Old
07-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Andersson's skating while it has improved is average to below average by NHL standards. It is his skating that will probably force him to be a winger instead on a center.
Completely agree, which is why I put him on Helm's line as a winger.

Old
07-20-2012, 04:25 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Completely agree, which is why I put him on Helm's line as a winger.
I don't completely agree with your lineup, I also don't think they would do it and Babcock is actually a big reason why in my opinion so that part I had trouble following. But we all have reasons we would like to see certain things and you provided yours. I wouldn't put Andersson in the third line over Abdelkader or Brunner on the wing, but for me at this point unless he picks up another step of speed it is my opinion that he can't play center at the NHL level. He is going to have to get a little more physical to play on the wing hopefully he improves in one of the two areas. One thing I can say about him is he works very hard to improve and his game continues to get better which gives me hope.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote