HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

STL/NYI (A bit of an odd proposal)

Old
07-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Bluesnatic27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
to both of those.

A thread with a decent proposal value wise, albeit one that doesn't really work for either side, will now likely descend into nonsense...
yep, pretty much...

Could I just ask why we need to argue on which player is better/has more value...I don't think anyone here believes that Taveras is a bad player, or that Pietrangelo is bad either...the Blues are built around a defense first mindset, so of course we would value Pietrangelo more, but the Islanders are built around a offense first mindset (in my eyes, but I could be wrong), so of course you would value Taveras more... both players are in the elite, world class category in their respective position and with good reason, so I really do not see the point to continue this argument

Bluesnatic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:44 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeStarve4Success View Post
Is Petro a franchise player? No? K
Is Petro a top five scorer in the league? No? K
Is Petro a guy you build around? No? K

Therefore, stop saying Tavares could be had for Petro. In what ****ing world do you live in, where you think Petro could land you Tavares? It doesn't take me to watch Petro every night to know that you're not even in the same universe, let alone close to sane in what you're saying

But good looks, bro.
Someone please tell me this is some kind of sick joke, please.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Good value for the Blues, but it wouldn't happen.

Tarasenko has 4 years in the KHL under his belt and he is 20, it is reasonable to hope he will be able to make a good impact in the NHL this season. Strome will likely need another year in the OHL. Blues are looking to win now, so this kind of deal isn't going to help them.

Of course, the swap of first round picks is nice, but unless the Islanders end up in the top 2 or 3 (which I doubt), then it probably isn't going to be a benefit to the Blues for another 3 years.
Tarasenko is a rare commodity, and I wouldn't trade him either until I knew exactly what I had at the NHL level. But, and not to be a jerk to Islanders fans, what's to stop people from expecting they'll be in the top 5 picks this year?

Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeksideStrangler View Post
Jt plays on a garbage team and is near the top in production. I'd trade kessel, phaneuf and a 1st for tavares. I'd peg him as a top 5 player in the nhl at this point and he is worth much more than petro.
The highlighted portion of your comment is the only part of your comment that even comes close to making any sense...

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 09:51 PM
Hipster Doofus

Isles shouldn't make this move. What the hell is the incentive to swap Strome for Tarasenko, give up Petrov's rights, and probably a downgrade in the picks? So we can have a RW and not a center? Uhhhh

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:48 PM
Thallis
We suck again!

vCash: 499
Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:

Therefore, stop saying Tavares could be had for Petro. In what ****ing world do you live in, where you think Petro could land you Tavares? It doesn't take me to watch Petro every night to know that you're not even in the same universe, let alone close to sane in what you're saying

But good looks, bro.
I was talking about Tarasenko, but Pietrangelo has Lidstrom potential that he's well on his way to hitting. Petro is one of the top Defenseman in the NHL right now, and is the biggest reason the Blues were #2 in the west and #3 overall last season. To say he's not a franchise player is a joke.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:14 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Isles shouldn't make this move. What the hell is the incentive to swap Strome for Tarasenko, give up Petrov's rights, and probably a downgrade in the picks? So we can have a RW and not a center? Uhhhh
No, its the fact that Tarasenko will be a superstar and Strome will probably just be a 2nd liner.

LordsCup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:21 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheDJ84 View Post
I wouldn't trade Petro for JT straight up. Let me add, Tavares is a world class player...I just don't think you trade young elite calibur dmen like that.
You're right, but the Islanders will never trade Tavares.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:28 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
You're right, but the Islanders will never trade Tavares.
Are we really arguing over semantics. Neither player will be traded, simple as that.

Old
07-18-2012, 12:51 AM
SteenMachine

Quote:

But good looks, bro.
Is Tavares on a team that actually wins games? No? K... When your single player can elevate your team (that's on payroll budget) to the best defense in the league he's a franchise player.

When a forward can't even get your team over .500 you can call him whatever you want but don't pretend his value is accomplishing anything.

Tavares couldn't even score his way into a winning home record. Meanwhile look at the best GAA defense lead by Pietro's 30-6-5 home record and tell me you can't build around him.

See in reality a player like Pietro nullifies a "top 5 forward" in the playoffs but he has to make the playoffs for that to happen.

Guess they'll settle for marginal scoring on 4 lines though

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:06 AM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

this thread got really silly really quickly

as a blues fan i have been super excited about tarasenko since we drafted him and would not trade him, period.

now on to fantasy world where this thread has gone. i would trade him for JT in a second. that being said, i wouldn't trade petro for JT+. it is proven what petro can do for a team and JT has not done this. anyone that wouldn't trade JT for petro should have their head examined. the only excuse is that JT IS the face of the isles and i totally understand that.

why is it that everyone talks about how important young premier d-men are and how they are so much more important that forwards until you start talking about their own forwards.

the first thing that came to mind is shanny for pronger. one of the best trades the blues EVER made

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:28 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenSnips View Post
this thread got really silly really quickly

as a blues fan i have been super excited about tarasenko since we drafted him and would not trade him, period.

now on to fantasy world where this thread has gone. i would trade him for JT in a second. that being said, i wouldn't trade petro for JT+. it is proven what petro can do for a team and JT has not done this. anyone that wouldn't trade JT for petro should have their head examined. the only excuse is that JT IS the face of the isles and i totally understand that.

why is it that everyone talks about how important young premier d-men are and how they are so much more important that forwards until you start talking about their own forwards.

the first thing that came to mind is shanny for pronger. one of the best trades the blues EVER made
Shanny was a winger who cracked the top ten in goals and points a few times, but not until his seventh year in the league. Tavares is a center who was seventh in points in just his third year.

Now, at the same age, Pietro is a whole lot better than Pronger was, so it's not an equivalent comparison, but I'd say that the Shanahan-Tavares one is a lot farther off. For all the people who talk about the value of elite defensemen, there are just as many people who would rather have an elite center, and I really cannot fault them for that. A team-leading, elite center is not just any forward.

I would not trade Pietro for Tavares, but it's completely unfair to say that anyone who wouldn't trade Tavares for Pietrangelo needs their head examined. He's the face of the Islanders because he's terrific. Their impacts are very comparable.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:11 AM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Shanny was a winger who cracked the top ten in goals and points a few times, but not until his seventh year in the league. Tavares is a center who was seventh in points in just his third year.

Now, at the same age, Pietro is a whole lot better than Pronger was, so it's not an equivalent comparison, but I'd say that the Shanahan-Tavares one is a lot farther off. For all the people who talk about the value of elite defensemen, there are just as many people who would rather have an elite center, and I really cannot fault them for that. A team-leading, elite center is not just any forward.

I would not trade Pietro for Tavares, but it's completely unfair to say that anyone who wouldn't trade Tavares for Pietrangelo needs their head examined. He's the face of the Islanders because he's terrific. Their impacts are very comparable.
I wasn't comparing values in the shanny/pronger trade to petro/JT. it was just the first thing that came to mind. it is by no means an exact replica, just something that came to mind. there were a lot of angry blues fans which would bring me to my next point.

you are absolutely right. there are the people out there who would rather have the face of the franchise be a center and there is nothing wrong with that. what bothers me is that there is no way that JT has accomplished more for his team in his position than petro has for his team in his position. i do not doubt that JT is an amazing player and his value to the isles is untouchable, but as you said the impact of petro is also untouchable. to me, the difference is how much more rare the elite d-men are than elite centers.

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

vCash: 380
Well this has gone well.

Islanders and Blues should both be ecstatic with Tavares and Pietrangelo respectively.

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:26 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKL889 View Post
No, its the fact that Tarasenko will be a superstar and Strome will probably just be a 2nd liner.
While you have your crystal ball out, what are the Mega Millions numbers coming up?

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 11:04 AM
bluechipbonzo

neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

definitely one of the more interesting proposals.

07-18-2012, 11:09 AM
alpine4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoliCupCrazy View Post
EPIC FAIL!!!

Tavares better coming back the other way for the Blues to trade Tarasenko
wow what a ridiculous comment to put there
I'm pretty sure Armstrong would say yes w/o any hesiation if that offer was submitted by Snow

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 11:55 AM
stlblues9

vCash: 3012
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4life View Post
I'm pretty sure Armstrong would say yes w/o any hesiation if that offer was submitted by Snow
No, he really wouldn't. Do you not realize how bad it would make him look if he traded him this summer? Tarasenko finally decides to come over so Armstrong trades him before even playing a game in the uniform. Good luck getting any other players like that to come over...

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Oshie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4life View Post
It's almost as bad as saying Petro is not a franchise player a team would want to build around. Tarasenko has a lot to prove in the NHL but the Blues have no reason to trade him. We took the risk drafting him because he has the potential to be a special player. He is also beginning his elc after getting good exp in the KHL, which is a bonus for a cost conservative team with a lot of young players coming up for raises. Obviously he would not return Tavares but if he was traded it would have to make sense for the Blues, not much would though, as teams would not want to give up what the Blues would be asking.

Oshie97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:01 PM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

I'm pretty sure there is a disconnect between Alpine and StlBlues9. I don't think Alpine was talking about the original Strome Package when he made his comment. He was saying that if Tavares was offered we'd accept without hesitation, which is true. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Manoli's "Tavares better be coming back" comment was way too over the top, so that's what's throwing things off a bit...

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:10 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 3012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
I'm pretty sure there is a disconnect between Alpine and StlBlues9. I don't think Alpine was talking about the original Strome Package when he made his comment. He was saying that if Tavares was offered we'd accept without hesitation, which is true. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Manoli's "Tavares better be coming back" comment was way too over the top, so that's what's throwing things off a bit...
I was commenting on the Strome deal, like you said so maybe you're right. If it was for Tavares it would have to be Tarasenko++.

Still though, I can't see any way Tarasenko is being traded this summer.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:03 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Pietrangelo is like Toasted Ravioli. Think about it.

Old
07-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
I was commenting on the Strome deal, like you said so maybe you're right. If it was for Tavares it would have to be Tarasenko++.

Still though, I can't see any way Tarasenko is being traded this summer.
lmao

If Snow got ****faced and made that offer Armstrong would accept and get ****faced himself. Do you only follow the blues? If so I apologize for laughing at you.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:48 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Can everyone just drop the Tarasenko-Tavares talk. It was a bad joke that someone took serious and people ran with it.