HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Jamie Kompon Q's new assistant

Old
07-18-2012, 12:57 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Both PP units suck at entering the zone, not just the one Campbell played on.
This is where adding someone like Visnovsky would have helped in spades. Leddy on one unit, Lubo on the other. Problem solved, not only solved but goes from problem to strength.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:05 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
The PK system blows as well. The PK is on both Stan and Q.
I don't like the system because it is too passive, but our main problem was giving up easy goals in the slot/crease area. I look at our D and centerman and don't see how that will change no matter what you ask them to do. Bottom line is, we saw this exact same team last year, they avoid the dirty areas. Other teams then just walk right in through the back door. If it takes calling up some minor leaguers to show these guys what to do and that their playing time will be cut for anyone willing to do the job, I'd advise Q to do that because what happened last year from an effort and battle standpoint was just not acceptable. It would be easier to blame Bowman completely if these guys were laying it all on the line and just getting physically dominated. That's where Q needs to step up and not take any nonsense from these guys. Can't be friends with them.

Old
07-18-2012, 01:27 PM
Sevanston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
This is where adding someone like Visnovsky would have helped in spades. Leddy on one unit, Lubo on the other. Problem solved, not only solved but goes from problem to strength.
Lubo would've been a great addition, but I doubt one player alone could take this power play to where it ought to be. At best, Lubo would be able to take it from abysmal to slightly below average, which is still inexcusable given the amount of talent we have.

Leddy obviously can't carry a unit on his own under this system, so I don't know how he would make it a strength.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:53 PM
coldsteelonice84

Well, it is what it is at that point. Kind of hard watching the PP struggle all last year while Campbell broke 30 points on the PP alone with Florida. That's not saying points are everything for a PMD because they don't always get the benefit at the end but Leddy needs to take another step up and Keith needs to be better too. I don't like riding Keith so much though, that's why Campbell or Lubo would really help us out. You're never going to get great production out of Keith with all of the high stress minutes he has to deal with on the current team.

Old
07-18-2012, 01:57 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
So, who's gonna be the new HC?

Iíve said it before and Iíll say it again. Mike Keenan!

If there was ever a coach who can get a talented underachieving NHL team whipped into shape, he is the guy. He is a no nonsense type that we need badly and he wouldnít hesitate to bench any player that was floating, even if his name is Kane or Keith. I know it wonít happenÖ and heís probably had it up to his wing wang with coaching in the NHL anyway.

Failing that, Crawford would also be on my radar as a possibility and how about Jon Cooper as an assistant and heir apparent? (He should have been on Qís short list ahead of one of his buddies)

One thing is certain in my mind. Q is hanging on by a thread and Iím certain he is well aware of that

BobbyJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post

If there was ever a coach who can get a talented underachieving NHL team whipped into shape, he is the guy. He is a no nonsense type that we need badly and he wouldnít hesitate to bench any player that was floating, even if his name is Kane or Keith. I know it wonít happenÖ and heís probably had it up to his wing wang with coaching in the NHL anyway.

Failing that, Crawford would also be on my radar as a possibility and how about Jon Cooper as an assistant and heir apparent? (He should have been on Qís short list ahead of one of his buddies)

One thing is certain in my mind. Q is hanging on by a thread and Iím certain he is well aware of that
I suggested Keenan last year during that 9 game losing streak. Not sure if he still has it in him, but at some point what do you have to lose.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:00 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
My God, it would be worth it for the entertainment alone. Bowman would be hiding under his desk whenever Iron Mike was in the office. They would not work very well together at all.

Old
07-18-2012, 02:02 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I suggested Keenan last year during that 9 game losing streak. Not sure if he still has it in him, but at some point what do you have to lose.
Maybe if Q went during the season, tell Keenan he's got the rest of the year as a trial to see what he can do, no promises, then we see what happens.

Old
07-18-2012, 02:11 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Keenan would be awesome.

There would be no Flukgers, Leddys, or even Kanes on the Hawks.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Keenan is horrendous. I'd rather have Quenneville.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:58 PM
madgoat33

Lure hunter from the minors. Look what he did for the caps last year.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:07 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

I keep seeing all these posts about let Q tie his own noose, which I am 100% fine with, but the only issue is that come December or January if Q gets fired, and his assistants dont....then guess who becomes the coach? The season is mid way through, you really arent going to find much out there available to coach this team, certainly noone that hasnt been fired themselves by 5-8 teams...

and if the entire staff gets canned mid-year, what a horrible thing that could be as an entire staff would need to be hired and the players would have to learn a new system on the fly...though the system we currently play isnt hard to adjust from as we really have no special team systems at all...

just saying be careful for what you wish for as unless Bowman has contacted someone and has them ready, and has Q on a very short leash like Savard was on, I dont know how we fill Q's spot with anyone that I would consider on par or better...

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:24 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I keep seeing all these posts about let Q tie his own noose, which I am 100% fine with, but the only issue is that come December or January if Q gets fired, and his assistants dont....then guess who becomes the coach? The season is mid way through, you really arent going to find much out there available to coach this team, certainly noone that hasnt been fired themselves by 5-8 teams...

and if the entire staff gets canned mid-year, what a horrible thing that could be as an entire staff would need to be hired and the players would have to learn a new system on the fly...though the system we currently play isnt hard to adjust from as we really have no special team systems at all...

just saying be careful for what you wish for as unless Bowman has contacted someone and has them ready, and has Q on a very short leash like Savard was on, I dont know how we fill Q's spot with anyone that I would consider on par or better...
you realize that firing the HC midyear worked well for the kings last season. Also the caps. And the devils the year before that.

Old
07-18-2012, 03:29 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
you realize that firing the HC midyear worked well for the kings last season. Also the caps. And the devils the year before that.
...yes, and they have picked some great coaches to replace the retreads that we would likely get...though Sutter is a bigtime retread...

name me who the hell is out there??

some of those teams had solid AHL coaches to promote, what do we have??? not sold on Dent...

Old
07-18-2012, 03:34 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
...yes, and they have picked some great coaches to replace the retreads that we would likely get...though Sutter is a bigtime retread...

name me who the hell is out there??

some of those teams had solid AHL coaches to promote, what do we have??? not sold on Dent...
yea, because everyone knew how good dale hunter was before the end of last season .

Get real. Just because there's no phil jackson of hockey out there we can replace q with doesn't mean that our management can't find a better coach for this team.

Old
07-18-2012, 03:39 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
yea, because everyone knew how good dale hunter was before the end of last season .

Get real. Just because there's no phil jackson of hockey out there we can replace q with doesn't mean that our management can't find a better coach for this team.
the same management that employs Mike Kitchen?

Old
07-18-2012, 03:41 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
the same management that employs Mike Kitchen?
You mean the guy Q hired?

Old
07-18-2012, 03:52 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
You mean the guy Q hired?
you mean the guys the management approve of, and allow to make a salary to coach this team?

Old
07-18-2012, 03:58 PM
madgoat33

so first you agreed that bowman was letting q tie his own noose, now you're blaming bowman for q's stupid decisions? There's a lot more going on here than you are making it seem. Q is well liked by casual fans, brought us a SC, and made the playoffs every season he's been here. You can't just fire a guy like that based on two disappointing seasons(where they still made the playoffs) and ****** special teams for a year. Q has his chance now.

Old
07-18-2012, 04:11 PM
coldsteelonice84

It still will look really bad for Bowman if Q goes in the next year, a lot of backlash. Everybody, no matter if you like Bowman or not, is going to look for immediate improvement after the change because Bowman hyped it up so much. If it doesn't happen, there wont be a single soul on his side.

Old
07-18-2012, 04:28 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Hey, even getting into the zone on the PP and staying there long enough to pass it around aimlessly for a while is better than what we've gotten used to. Baby steps!
It's okay. Kings struggled to even do that under Kompon a lot of the time. Sounds like he's basically a lateral move to what you guys had before, if not worse because he's Jamie ****ing Kompon.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:29 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
so first you agreed that bowman was letting q tie his own noose, now you're blaming bowman for q's stupid decisions? There's a lot more going on here than you are making it seem. Q is well liked by casual fans, brought us a SC, and made the playoffs every season he's been here. You can't just fire a guy like that based on two disappointing seasons(where they still made the playoffs) and ****** special teams for a year. Q has his chance now.
I am not blaming Bowman for Q's stupid decision, I am merely pointing out that you have a ton of faith in our management with finding a replacement for Q, and I simply dont think there is much out there and that the management team is going to look like fools when we cant get much to replace Q if that day comes.... they already look like fools by letting Q make his coaching decisions and for allowing one of them to be keeping Kitchen...

but as I stated, if it is to have Q tie his own noose, then I am not upset with it, but the end result might be worse then what we currently have....as hard to believe as that may be..

Q is going to live off of that Stanley Cup for the rest of his days, that team was loaded from top down, and I still feel the same result could have happened under Savard as well.. Q was great in 2010 no doubt about it, but this isnt 2010 anymore, and his style is getting old and showing little results..

Q will be the wipping boy this year and not Bowman imo...

Old
07-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Araxen*

I'm thinking with the signing of Kompon the Fire Q thread should be renamed Q's final season thread. He'll be fired this season and I have no doubt about it.

Araxen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Jahns' article today says that apparently a lot of candidates didn't feel secure in taking a position with Quenneville right now because they think he's on his way out the door.
Thought about that before. Why should they agree to work with Q when they may be gone in january

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Keenan is horrendous. I'd rather have Quenneville.
this sounds about right. Keenan's time is over

Barry Smith comes to my mind or Dave Lewis - Bowmans former assistants. Not that I think they are good, just to name 2 guys available

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Hawkaholic

Ted Dent is a possibility as well, I could definitely see that.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote