HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2012, 04:24 PM
scokan

vCash: 500
not that it really matters,
but im pretty sure that our 2nd rounder in '15 was traded in the Carrick deal.
so what 2nd rounder are they talking about for that year?
the NIA pick or the SUB pick?

Old
08-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Ottomatic

I guess this solves any potential gold package education problem.

Old
08-10-2012, 07:13 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
I wonder why you wouldn't the "we're not the only ones" card played. Maybe because the Patty Kane rumors are the same as the Cammy Fowler rumors.
I guess if they are true well see the knights get punished, or maybe Mark knows How to play the game better

I wouldn't play that card cause it's not who I am. If I get caught, I pay the piper. Attempting to drag others down doesn't help ur rep, doesn't make ya any friends, doesn't help foster trust with peers you gotta work with ect... If other teams cheated maybe it'll come or maybe it won't.

Did rychel piss someone off? Someone brought this to the leagues attention. Has he made some enemies? Instead of looking to drag others down you look in the mirror and ask how to move forward

Last edited by aresknights: 08-10-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old
08-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
I'm not even going to try and say the Knights haven't done this kind of thing in the past, I believe they have. But didn't the rules change in 2009? Pat Kane and others like Sam Gagner were long gone by then so the Knights would be in the clear for them. It's just have they done it with any players since then?

Old
08-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I'm not even going to try and say the Knights haven't done this kind of thing in the past, I believe they have. But didn't the rules change in 2009? Pat Kane and others like Sam Gagner were long gone by then so the Knights would be in the clear for them. It's just have they done it with any players since then?
That's what Jim Parker's blog on it says, the investigation is over players after 2009 when the rules were changed, so no one from the 1st Memorial Cup team is involved. My guess would be Fowler and Campbell.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/08...e-draft-picks/

Old
08-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Sec108

If Boughner and Rychel can prove innocence think what the league and Branch would have to pay for dragging the Spits brand through the mud.Kitchener is sueing over the Trouba allegations.

My Q for Branch is.....after the first infraction , why was it not brought out that it lead to a second one???? What's up with that, sounds like someone was setting the Spits up.Prob. a mole inside the NCAA IMO.

I don't believe that the owners are that dumb after the 2009 rules being set up.There's alot more to this story.Branch better keep out of Essex co. and fans won't support anymore CHL events in future, he has def. burnt his bridges here.

He can keep the events up in the Hunters domain, the league butt lickers.

Riff Roxxx

Old
08-10-2012, 10:25 PM
hockeylegend11

At the Spits baseball game saw and met newcomer import Vladimir Ionin,he did not play

Old
08-10-2012, 11:18 PM
cfaub

Tough news for the Spits obviously but if Branch goes overboard then it is also tough news for the league as a whole as well.

One of the top teams in the entire CHL takes a hit then that is one thing but going overboard in the punishment is something else.

Can every team in the league afford the penalties being assessed? If not then they are too high. If a $400,000 fine would put a small market team in financial difficulty then the fine is too high.

If first round draft picks are too valuable not only to individual teams but also to the league to have the “star” drawing power in every market then to take them away as part of the penalty is crossing the line as well. If they are untouchable in trades then they should be untouchable in discipline. Forfeit second round picks since they can be traded but first round picks help to market the league as a whole, not just each team. If this is the case they are punishing the entire league by forcing Windsor to forfeit first round picks.

Now my other issue, and it goes to some of the fans of other teams is if Windsor was so terrible that they did this how likely is it that no other team had any clue? Are 19 other teams so incompetent that Windsor could gain a competitive advantage over everyone else and no one else knew?

I don’t believe that for a minute.

If that is not the case and they all kept their mouths shut then how serious is this issue to them? Do they really care if Windsor is punished or not since they apparently all kept their mouths shut this entire time. Are they not all complicit in this?

If they say something then they have to deal with other teams in the day to day operations of the teams and the league. If the concern is others won’t deal with them then fair enough but while Rychel hasn’t made any deals this off season he certainly has made deals throughout the entire time this investigation has gone on so apparently not too many teams were too concerned with his actions.

If the other teams were not concerned too much then such high penalties make no sense.

If Windsor did this and it appears they might have then so be it, they got “caught” and should pay a price for it. My concern is the price appears to be pretty steep and is apparently set in a way that it is proportionate to what they can “afford” and not what is deemed affordable to all teams.

As for the Memorial Cup if this affects the hosting oh well, it happens. Windsor as a team is punished but Windsor fans and their loyalty to the team and the league are also being punished as well which is a bit unfair. I do think even with the penalties the way they are Rychel can ice a team that can challenge for a Memorial Cup next season.

He loses 3 first round picks, which are not tradable anyways so that doesn’t hurt his position. The 2 second round picks hurt a bit but he still has assets available to him and in the end if no GM will deal with him then any pieces that may interest other GMs may also not be available when the time comes. It is a two way street and all these GMs have to deal with each other in order to maintain the quality in the league so as we have seen with Marty Williams the past is just that, the past and there will always be trading partners available.

My guess is the appeal results in a lower penalty (first round pick in 2013, first round pick in 2015 and first round pick in 2017, $200,000 fine), Windsor does not host in 2014 but will still put forth a “bid’ for appearances and Rychel ices a contender regardless.

Old
08-11-2012, 12:23 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

hey..i'm a knights' fan and i think what happened to you guys is total bs. unless something exceptionally atrocious went down...i generally assume that you, london, and kitchener work the same way.

i can't imagine the spits doing anything that london (of which i'm a fan) hasn't done...and as for kitchener...let's just say they're clever in attracting euro players and leave it at that.

i had a good laugh at the petes' fans trolling your board. it's not windsor's fault they have a horrible franchise.

Old
08-11-2012, 01:42 AM
hockeyboy4

the Spits were fined nearly the same amount as the London Knights' player payroll!!

Old
08-11-2012, 01:50 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyboy4 View Post
the Spits were fined nearly the same amount as the London Knights' player payroll!!
one of the reasons i cringe so bad on the Spits behalf is that I recall very well the rumours surrounding my beloved avatar's arrival in London - and i'm trying to figure out what the Spits' did that you haven't heard about the Knights (or Rags esp re Euro).

geez - i love the knights - but i also like having kitchener and windsor fielding high quality teams in the same conference - b/c it makes OHL hockey really great to watch. the last thing the OHL needs is to weaken an otherwise watch-able team. (obviously, i get that the Spits exist for more than just my own viewing interest against the Knights )

Old
08-11-2012, 04:19 AM
chriryan

petes fans arent trolling windsors board but i see alot of rangers comments. im a petes fan and think that what branch did was horrid hope you win appeal. now every team that drafts an american super star will be afraid of the league. im a petes fan by the way small market and i think its bull theres no petes fans trolling if he is it prob starts with pumps or petes 96

Last edited by chriryan: 08-11-2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old
08-11-2012, 06:04 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriryan View Post
petes 96
This guy.

Old
08-11-2012, 07:02 AM
goalpostmahoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
This guy.
If you pay Fowler 100k to come to Windsor helps you win Mem Cup helps fill your rink with $25 dollar tickets then he gets drafted high NHL team pays developmental fees for him its a good gamble. Maybe 400k isn't to much.

Old
08-11-2012, 07:39 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Can every team in the league afford the penalties being assessed? If not then they are too high. If a $400,000 fine would put a small market team in financial difficulty then the fine is too high.

If first round draft picks are too valuable not only to individual teams but also to the league to have the “star” drawing power in every market then to take them away as part of the penalty is crossing the line as well. If they are untouchable in trades then they should be untouchable in discipline. Forfeit second round picks since they can be traded but first round picks help to market the league as a whole, not just each team. If this is the case they are punishing the entire league by forcing Windsor to forfeit first round picks.
Cfaub, did the elected , by the owners, board of the OHL set the penalties? If yes than it's tough to argue there are set too high.all teams knew the risk/ reward. If its set without input maybe u have a point

Old
08-11-2012, 07:45 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Now my other issue, and it goes to some of the fans of other teams is if Windsor was so terrible that they did this how likely is it that no other team had any clue? Are 19 other teams so incompetent that Windsor could gain a competitive advantage over everyone else and no one else knew?

I don’t believe that for a minute.

If that is not the case and they all kept their mouths shut then how serious is this issue to them? Do they really care if Windsor is punished or not since they apparently all kept their mouths shut this entire time. Are they not all complicit in this?
Maybe the others teams did know and didn't want to rat, as it could Hurt future dealings with Gms?
Maybe they were also doing it, and didn't want rat?

Maybe a frustrated team did rat on them?

Point is we don't have enough info here. Maybe the hammer falls on other teams, may e Windsor was the only one they can get proof on?

Well
See how it plays out but for sure there are other investigations that have happened a d some ongoing and some more too come but as of now only has been caught.

Old
08-11-2012, 08:14 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
Branch better keep out of Essex co. and fans won't support anymore CHL events in future, he has def. burnt his bridges here.
So if the Spits are lucky enough to be awarded a Memorial Cup in the near future..nobody will go? Really?

Old
08-11-2012, 09:28 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Cfaub, did the elected , by the owners, board of the OHL set the penalties? If yes than it's tough to argue there are set too high.all teams knew the risk/ reward. If its set without input maybe u have a point
Here's the catch though if you don't sign off on something like that automatically you're setting yourself up for suspicion of not playing by the rules and you would probably be investigated right away. So there's really no choice by a team they pretty much have to sign off on that rule. Can you imagine the backlash if Kitchener, London and Windsor never signed off on that?

Old
08-11-2012, 09:39 AM
DrMegavolt

Too Far

The penalty went too far.
This will hurt the team's future, it's one thing to get a fine it's another to attempt to destroy the future success of the organisation

Old
08-11-2012, 09:50 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
So if the Spits are lucky enough to be awarded a Memorial Cup in the near future..nobody will go? Really?
They will never be awarded the Memorial Cup now not as long as Branch is running things so this point is moot. If they did by some sort of miracle I doubt I would support a product run by David Branch. As far as I'm concerned they should probably change the logo of the league to a hammer and sickle.

Old
08-11-2012, 09:54 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I doubt I would support a product run by David Branch.
So are you cancelling your season tickets? After all the Spitfires are part of a league run by Dave Branch.

Old
08-11-2012, 10:01 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Here's the catch though if you don't sign off on something like that automatically you're setting yourself up for suspicion of not playing by the rules and you would probably be investigated right away. So there's really no choice by a team they pretty much have to sign off on that rule. Can you imagine the backlash if Kitchener, London and Windsor never signed off on that?
Unless they deemed the penalties agreed upon would be retroactive, why would they care? I really doubt they could go back before the rules were set and discipline clubs.
Point being board set penalties, all partners were aware of risk/ reward and so far one club got stung.

No one on a board should be investigated Because they dontFollow suit. And branch does work for them at the end of the day

Last edited by aresknights: 08-11-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old
08-11-2012, 10:01 AM
hockeylegend11

I think the sanctions put on the spits were excessive and unneccessary
To Fine them is one thing but,affecting their future is another
Stripping a team of 1st rders is unconsciencable,afterall they are a teams' lifeblood
My feeling is that they are found innocent by their defence not only should get their picks restored,also the fine returned,half the fine should be added in other words the league pays them 200,000 as well for every draft pick punished an additional pick is awarded to Windsor
Meaning Windsor would get 5 picks plus the ones they were to lose
Such an action u think would deter the league from imposing death like sentences until all is heard including the spits side
I dont know what will happen here
Regardless the Spits reputation has been tarnished whether found guilty or innocent,and if its innocent Branch should resign/fired and the League ponies up in cash and additional picks
In my view this is the worst thing the League could have done not just because of Windsor but every team in the league and unneccessary fodder for the NCAA

Old
08-11-2012, 10:03 AM
aresknights

From what I've seen, an owner will hear the appeal. I'm unfamiliar with who hands out original discipline and who hears appeals. Any1 confirm?

Old
08-11-2012, 10:06 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
So are you cancelling your season tickets? After all the Spitfires are part of a league run by Dave Branch.
I cancelled them last year. I would like to know how penalizing a team for bringing in top talent to a league that otherwise would never have gotten this talent in the league with the exception of 1-2 other teams is good for business and good for the league? Since these rules have been adopted has it helped luring top tier american players to the have nots not picked in the 1st round? I haven't seen Sudbury, Brampton, Soo, Erie and you can list a couple more attract those top tier guys.

Closed Thread