HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
08-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Ottomatic

vCash: 500
I think Spits will know a lot about Marchese after the fitness testing - did he put the work in during the off-season. I believe I saw him in a couple of the axfit videos on the Spits site, but he strikes me as a guy who doesn't like working out - which is a problem at this level, and obviously any higher level.

Player I'm most looking forward to seeing this year is Maletta. Kid is filling out physically and he could make big strides this season if he could stay healthy. The last 15 games last season Maletta was really looking comfortable - was it that he was moved to his natural center position? I think he could play in our top six if he could play on the rw, but if he's most comfortable playing center, maybe centering the third line with Ionin and Marchese on his wings could be the way to go. With Clarke playing the rw on one of the top two lines.

Old
08-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Sec108

Good points Otto, Im hoping Marchese will step up I like the kid and know he does have the talent.And your right maletta was looking alot better toward the end of last season.Clarky has to get his scoring touch going and i think were 1 or 2 players away from really making some noise.Im looking forward to big Sanvido doing some damage on the back end,by christmas hopefully.

Old
08-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Spitsfan67*

Ebert Better be gone unless he decides to think defense FIRST Over offense.....Points WILL Come with Great Defence, that's the reason why he slipped to the last spot in the NHL Draft. Personally I Have not liked him since his first Season as a spitfire Mostly because of his offensive Mentality.....had enough of this Kid honestly would love to see him go UNLESS he changed his ways heading into this season..I know he can be very good and he has all the skills to be an Nhl'er but he has to prove it...

Old
08-24-2012, 09:58 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Ebert Better be gone unless he decides to think defense FIRST Over offense.....Points WILL Come with Great Defence, that's the reason why he slipped to the last spot in the NHL Draft. Personally I Have not liked him since his first Season as a spitfire Mostly because of his offensive Mentality.....had enough of this Kid honestly would love to see him go UNLESS he changed his ways heading into this season..I know he can be very good and he has all the skills to be an Nhl'er but he has to prove it...
I don't think he has enough value to trade him at this point. we have to hope that having his draft year behind him and being paired with Sieloff will lead to a more relaxed Ebert who will simplify his game.

Old
08-24-2012, 10:08 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
I don't think he has enough value to trade him at this point. we have to hope that having his draft year behind him and being paired with Sieloff will lead to a more relaxed Ebert who will simplify his game.
Idk You think he would have learned a lot from one of the best in Ellis But he Obviously didnt...hopefully him and Sieloff can get some chemistry going and he can have a great season for the spits...I'f Ebert can somehow pull off a great defensive season But still find a way to get 30-40Points he can really help the spitfires chances of having a really good season.

Old
08-24-2012, 10:27 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
I think Spits will know a lot about Marchese after the fitness testing - did he put the work in during the off-season. I believe I saw him in a couple of the axfit videos on the Spits site, but he strikes me as a guy who doesn't like working out - which is a problem at this level, and obviously any higher level.

Player I'm most looking forward to seeing this year is Maletta. Kid is filling out physically and he could make big strides this season if he could stay healthy. The last 15 games last season Maletta was really looking comfortable - was it that he was moved to his natural center position? I think he could play in our top six if he could play on the rw, but if he's most comfortable playing center, maybe centering the third line with Ionin and Marchese on his wings could be the way to go. With Clarke playing the rw on one of the top two lines.
In regards to Maletta I am not sure what to expect I mean you watch him play what does he really bring? We never saw him have a chance to show the type of shot he has. Does he have good hands? Of course you could say that about a lot of forwards who didn't show much skill up front.

Old
08-24-2012, 11:31 PM
big papa

Quote:
yes he was here working out all summer he was in every axfit workout video

Old
08-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by big papa View Post
yes he was here working out all summer he was in every axfit workout video
That's Great, You want to see some dedication and for him to spend most of his Summer here proves he's willing to do what ever it takes to improve....that's what you have to do put in a little bit of extra time and effort and good things will happen...hopefully he comes out gunz a blazin and can have a great season.

Old
08-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Sec108

@Otto....your right about Ebert simplifiying his game.Use the boards more not so much up the middle, his vision is limited it seems but he has a terrific point shot.Hope he uses it alot more with Seiloff at his other point.

Also wanted to ask anyone opinion on the Athanasiou trade.Seemed strange to me,kid has alot of upside and a Detroit pick.Reading the knights board sees like he had a bit of attitude and maybe bumped heads with Hunter.Barrie got some scoring pwr there.

Old
08-26-2012, 02:31 PM
punch1943

More Questions Than Answers

Hoping someone has the answers........

1) How many games or days can a US player be at the Spits camp without
screwing up his eligibility to play college hockey [NCAA] USHL or NTDP?
If I remember correctly it was 2 days at one time. I think Andrew McLean was at last years training camp.

2) Anybody know the guidelines/protocol that must be followed by the OHL before
investigating a team for violating the league’s player benefit and recruitment rules and policies.

Thanks...

Old
08-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Loosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post

If I remember correctly it was 2 days at one time. I think Andrew McLean was at last years training camp.

investigating a team for violating the league’s player benefit and recruitment rules and policies.

Thanks...
No idea for number 1, but as far as number 2? I don't think there is any guidelines or protocols for the OHL to investigate. If they have any suspicion what so ever they should be able to investigate right away. Now there is probably guidelines for them to levy fines and what not. But there shouldn't be anything standing in thier way to investigate.

Old
08-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:

Thanks...
#1) quite sure it's 36 hours.
#2)if they suspect something then they probably can investigate.

Old
08-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Spits77

Quote:

Thanks...
#1: It is 48 hours on the teams expense. After that you can stay longer if you pay all expenses yourself. You cannot play in any exhibition games other than intersquad games. Unsigned 16 year olds can only stay in camp 48 hours under OHL rules.

Old
08-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Sec108

Anyone know when we can pick up seas.tick.????

Went to the website but nothing there, except an old video from last years training camp.

Old
08-26-2012, 11:24 PM
big papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
Anyone know when we can pick up seas.tick.????

Went to the website but nothing there, except an old video from last years training camp.
going to take a guess and say thursday so people can come and pay to watch the blue and white game while grabbing your season tickets

Old
08-27-2012, 07:52 AM
mini2z

Are ALL spits supposed to be at training camp because Braithwaite just posted on twitter that he's in Toronto??

Old
08-27-2012, 08:21 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini2z View Post
Are ALL spits supposed to be at training camp because Braithwaite just posted on twitter that he's in Toronto??
Probably on way back from Peterboro. They have physicals and fitness testing
only today so I'm betting they all don't have to be here at 9:00AM. He should get here noonish.
With 45 or so to be tested it will make for a long day.
The burning question of the day.....who will be a surprise show for the training camp?

Old
08-27-2012, 08:45 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
The burning question of the day.....who will be a surprise show for the training camp?
Nobody of note, due to the scandal nobody will want to touch Windsor or the OHL in general for some time until everything gets sorted out.

Old
08-27-2012, 09:28 AM
RayzorIsDull

One thing on the OHL website I liked when I saw the Spits roster was McCann wasn't listed at all. Of course that can change but from the preliminary outlook it doesn't seem like there's a spot for him.

Old
08-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:

Thanks...
http://collegehockeyinc.com/articles/camp-checklist

Quote:
While playing in a Canadian Hockey League game will cost a prospect his NCAA eligibility, there is still the opportunity to attend a camp to learn more about a CHL team while retaining amateur status.

What comes in to play is often called the "48-hour rule," and can be easy to misinterpret. The full language in the NCAA Manual is pasted at the bottom of this article and, as you'll see, can be a bit unwieldy.

In plain English, any player who wants to consider the U.S. college hockey option and the opportunity to get your education paid for while pursuing an NHL career needs to remember a few things before attending:

1. You may have a team cover the cost of one tryout for up to 48 hours

A CHL team may cover necessary expenses for you to attend a tryout for up to 48 hours (including transportation, lodging, meals, etc.). The 48-hour period begins when you arrive at the tryout location. This is a one-time allowance per team and can be used for a training camp or rookie camp.

2. You may attend for more than 48 hours, but need to cover costs

Should you wish to extend your stay at a CHL training camp beyond 48 hours, you need to be prepared to cover costs from that point on (including transportation home).

3. Do not compete in scrimmages or games against other teams.

While attending CHL camps prospects may participate in practices and intrasquad scrimmages, but may not face off against players or prospects representing another CHL team, even in an exhibition game.

4. Don't rush into any decisions

If you were drafted in the CHL in the spring and are attending camp as a 15- or 16-year-old, your chances of earning a regular spot in the CHL are likely slim. Maintaining your NCAA eligibility for another year will give you more time to evaluate your options and make a well informed decision for your future ? while likely not affecting your plans for this season at all.

5. Do not sign a contract with a CHL team.

A contract with a CHL team is considered a professional contract by the NCAA and therefore jeopardizes a prospect's eligibility. It's best not to sign any agreement with a CHL team; an exception is filling out a simple tryout form with basic information.

6. Do not interpret a lack of calls from colleges as a lack of interest.

Colleges, by NCAA rule, cannot contact student-athletes prior to June 15 of their grade 10 year of high school. Unless you have visited a coach on campus or reached out to them on your own, you may be drafted into the CHL without ever talking to a college coach ? but that doesn?t mean they won?t be interested. College coaches want to attract the best players from both the U.S. and Canada, typically many of the same players that OHL, WHL and QMJHL teams select in their drafts.

7. Do not violate NCAA rules by accepting gifts from CHL teams.

If a CHL team gives you a jersey or other gifts you should be prepared to either return those items or compensate the team appropriately.

Being invited to a CHL training camp can be a great validation of your skills as a hockey player and a good sign of things to come in your hockey career. That career will include a number of choices along the way - we would encourage you to keep your options open so that you have the opportunity to make the best choices for you.

If you have any questions about attending a CHL camp and maintaining your NCAA eligibility, feel free to contact College Hockey, Inc.

From the NCAA Manual

12.2.1.1 Tryout Before Enrollment-Men's Ice Hockey and Skiing. In men's ice hockey and skiing, a student-athlete remains eligible in a sport even though, prior to enrollment in a collegiate institution, the student-athlete may have tried out with a professional athletics team in a sport or received not more than one expense-paid visit from each professional team (or a combine including that team), provided such a visit did not exceed 48 hours and any payment or compensation in connection with the visit was not in excess of actual and necessary expenses. The 48-hour tryout period begins at the time the individual arrives at the tryout location. At the completion of the 48-hour period, the individual must depart the location of the tryout immediately in order to receive return transportation expenses. A tryout may extend beyond 48 hours if the individual self finances additional expenses, including return transportation. A self-financed tryout may be for any length of time.

Old
08-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
One thing on the OHL website I liked when I saw the Spits roster was McCann wasn't listed at all. Of course that can change but from the preliminary outlook it doesn't seem like there's a spot for him.
Patrick Sieloff isn't on that roster either.

Old
08-27-2012, 11:04 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Patrick Sieloff isn't on that roster either.
Nice catch but Sieloff can always play AHL but extremely extremely doubtful.

Old
08-27-2012, 11:05 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
McCann is slated to play in the scrimmages saw his name on the roster sheets,however I agree I dont see a spot for him on this years club

Old
08-27-2012, 11:08 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Nice catch but Sieloff can always play AHL but extremely extremely doubtful.
Seiloff is listed on one of scrimmage rosters that I saw today he will be wearing #10 on Team Red as it stands today
His defence mates are Bateman,Mcnaughton,Morrison and Szekesy

Old
08-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Ottomatic

^Any idea when the rosters will be released to public/posted on Spits official site?

Did you see any surprises? FA's with a legit shot? Is Jack Billings in town?

Closed Thread