HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
08-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Ottomatic

vCash: 500
Is Alonge taking part on ice or still recovering?

Old
08-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Pukhogg

I know its early but How are the goaltenders looking?

Old
08-28-2012, 12:58 PM
punch1943

White 5 Blue 3

Team White beat team blue 5-3. Kuchmey for white let in one softie and 1 with 4 seconds to go. That being said he played better than DeKort who gave up a ton of rebounds.

White had the better team, blue did run up about 5 penalties in a row.

For the White team... Ebert was physical and moved the puck well.He was White's best player. Braithewaite showed his experience. Brown carried the puck well. He's quick and has good offensive moves.

Clarke and Maletta played well.

For the Blue team Posa was the best D-man. Devlin had a couple penalties. Hickey & Killins were fast but aren't big. Sanvido kept things simple - he's big.

Ho-Sang banked one in off Kuchemey & hit the cross bar as well. He will be good and good quickly.

IMHO

Vail and Bilcke played well. Bilcke was hitting everything in sight.

Of the new blue forwards Loiselle and Yantzi played well

Old
08-28-2012, 01:41 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukhogg View Post
Are the rosters posted in the paper?
Red - 11 Wallace 12 Verbeek 21 Ionin
16 Rychel 13 Elser 26 Billings
25 Hughes 20 McCann 24 Smith

10 Sieloff 37 Morrison
33 McNaughton 34 Bateman 28 Flegel

White 16 Marchese 13 Maletta 21 Graham
24 Perks 17 Clarke 19 Studnicka
11 Watson 10 Luciw 29 Cobham
3 Alonge

5 Braithwaite 7 Bowen
35 Brown 22 Ebert 36 Kotsovos

Blue 12 Johnson 11 Ho-Sang 13 Loiselle
17 Leslie 26 Vail 29 Bilcke
24 Ireland 20 Yantzi 3 Czinder

27 Posa 32 Killins
2 Sanvido 25 Devlin 36 Hickey

Old
08-28-2012, 01:42 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukhogg View Post
I know its early but How are the goaltenders looking?
Hopefully much better this afternoon.

Old
08-28-2012, 02:45 PM
OHLTG

Just a quick run-down before I head to the rink for the afternoon stuff:

- Ho-Sang is the real deal. I was talking with LegendII and he reminds us of Hall. Good hands, vision is right up there, and not afraid to get into the crease. He was taking a beating at times from some d-men.

- Devlin looks like a kid who's determined to win over the critics. Impressive.

- Marchese is the same way. Was up and down the ice with authority.

- Blicke was a man on a mission. He has this low skating style that reminds me of Janssen. Low to the ice, like a submarine, then will explode into you. If you were in his way, you were being hit.

- Blicke also had a great tilt with Bowen, which all the players seemed to know was coming (some were yelling "go buckets off" before the period even started). Giving the decision to Bowen, as it looked like he put Bilcke down at the end.

- DeKort struggled a bit, giving up a couple iffy goals, but nothing to get scared about.

- Kuchmey played alright and showed why he got the good look last year.

More coming tonight, with pictures.

Old
08-28-2012, 03:22 PM
Pukhogg

Sounds like a positive day. If I remember Correctly, the Kuchmey kid led his team to the finals against london.
It would be nice to have a similar player as Hall in Ho-Sang. The kid has so much potential. We will see how much he adapts as the year progresses.

Old
08-28-2012, 03:22 PM
SpItFiReZ

Ho sang looks good. Real good.

Billings would be a nice guy on the 4th line.

Old
08-28-2012, 05:14 PM
OHLTG

Afternoon notes:

- Pavelka was strong, though allowed one weak goal near the end.

- Sieloff is going to piss a lot of people off. The kid plays like a bulldog, has no fear, and does not let up. I love it!

- Ho-Sang had people in the crowd ooh'ing and ahhh'ing.

- There's a kid in camp, Jake Flegel, who was recently traded from Coburg to Chatham. 6'4 220lbs, willing to use his size. Thing is...he's a 92. Maybe a favour to someone or early practice before Chatham's season?

Old
08-28-2012, 05:47 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Afternoon notes:

- Pavelka was strong, though allowed one weak goal near the end.

- Sieloff is going to piss a lot of people off. The kid plays like a bulldog, has no fear, and does not let up. I love it!

- Ho-Sang had people in the crowd ooh'ing and ahhh'ing.

- There's a kid in camp, Jake Flegel, who was recently traded from Coburg to Chatham. 6'4 220lbs, willing to use his size. Thing is...he's a 92. Maybe a favour to someone or early practice before Chatham's season?
Actually he played in Coburg last year he is there to fill a spot left vacant when another def from Chatham was unable to play
He is a 92 with no OHL experience thus ineligible to play an overage year here or anywhere

Old
08-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpItFiReZ View Post

I still can't beilieve he fell to Fifth I mean hes a great young player that was ranked first overall by some scouts...he kind of reminds me
Of when O'Rielly went ahead of Hallsy and we grabbed him with the second overall pick....but OBVIOUSLY Grabbing Ellis in the Second round was the biggest steal of the draft. I'm very Exited with this kid even more because he's a
Late birth and will be here for 3 years(like Hall).....I honestly bielieve he'll make an impact right away putting up 50-60 points this season.

Old
08-28-2012, 06:01 PM
hockeylegend11

Brief notes on the day
I agree with OHLTG that Devlin and Marchese played with alot passion and energy
HoSang certainly can dangle hit 2 posts in 1 session,shifty as all get out,he will certainly lift people out of their seats this season
Ben Johnson played very well and was dangerous with HoSang all day
The 3rd member of that line was Bron Loiselle who played pretty effectively though not as flashy as his linemates
Jack Billings-Cen did not look out of place playing with Rychel and former London Knight/Belleville Bull Danny Elsner,who was just ok in my view,needs to more as a 93 born to be considered
Rookie D-man Graehame Brown looked real good in the 1st session dipped a bit in the 2nd,nevertheless shows nice potential
Chris Sanvido the other 16 year old D-man all of 6'6"-220 lbs played reasonably well for his 1st outings
Ty Bilcke hit everything in sight
a good thing to see
Micheal Clarke and Jordan Maletta played very well in the a.m. and scored beauty goals
Sam Posa also played well in 2 sessions
Best free agent in my view was 93 born D-man Shaquille Hickey from Mississauga but played in Cobourg last yr showed great speed,hustle and on ice awareness with just enough aggression to make things work
Too bad he is 19 probably 10 D-men rated ahead of him
Pavelka and Kuchmey I thought were the best goalies today especially Kuchmey ,although he can work on his rebound control
All in all a pretty day,I thought the 1st session was better then the 2nd little better temple
Spits will have some decisions to make
More to come tommorow-out

Old
08-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Jackman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpItFiReZ View Post

Ho-Sang is as advertised. He looks good so far and should only get better.

Billings shouldn't give up whatever NCAA scholarship offers he may have because there is no way he should be on the Spits in the next couple of years. He is just too small and not enough talent to overcome his small stature.

Old
08-28-2012, 06:36 PM
Nyax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
I still can't beilieve he fell to Fifth I mean hes a great young player that was ranked first overall by some scouts...he kind of reminds me
Of when O'Rielly went ahead of Hallsy and we grabbed him with the second overall pick....but OBVIOUSLY Grabbing Ellis in the Second round was the biggest steal of the draft. I'm very Exited with this kid even more because he's a
Late birth and will be here for 3 years(like Hall)
.....I honestly bielieve he'll make an impact right away putting up 50-60 points this season.
Ho-Sang was born in January, so he's not a late birthday.

Old
08-28-2012, 06:47 PM
punch1943

Reds vs Blues (Afternoon Session)

Blues over Reds 4-2.

Unless I'm mistaken Kopytek-MacKenzie played 1st half for Reds who were losing
3-0. Pavelka then played last half for Reds allowing empty netter.

Best players for Red - Billings and Sieloff. Ionin, and Bateman also played well.

Best Blues Ho-Sang, Hickey and Loiselle.

Game started out as chip in contest but smoothed out as it went along.

Sieloff rugged...ran over goalie Kopyter-Mackenzie which would have caused a riot in a regular season game. Offence not his game...

Devlin energetic but took stupid penalties again.

There will be some new faces on the team based on these two games but other than Ho-Sang ,Sieloff,Ionin and possibly Billings the new faces may need to come via the trade route.

Old
08-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Jakey43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman View Post
Ho-Sang is as advertised. He looks good so far and should only get better.

Billings shouldn't give up whatever NCAA scholarship offers he may have because there is no way he should be on the Spits in the next couple of years. He is just too small and not enough talent to overcome his small stature.
Hosang extremely talented and should produce good, maybe great numbers.
Don't get love affair with Billings. Looks like maybe he can play, but can't. Most passes off the mark and small.

Old
08-28-2012, 07:00 PM
AWTY

Good old days

First time poster, daily reader. Really appreciate the knowledge on here.

Was at the second session and I have to admit, it was great to see Henrique and Harry Young on our ice again. It may just be a badmory on my part, but Harry looked SO MUCH FASTER than he used to be. I guess that's what happens when hockey is your job. I found myself watching them more than others, sort of like when you get a surprise last chance to see something and you know you should appreciate it. Hard to believe those 2 were just pieces and not stars. We won't see talent like those teams again.

I agree with everything said about Ho-Sang. Warren got his money's worth there for sure. ( just kidding Warren).

Most impressed with Sieloff, in my humble opinion he could be our best defenceman this year already.

One question for the guys there today. There was another non-roster guy, black jersey, red pants and red helmet ( no team logo ) . I assume he was an ex spit also. Anyone know who he was ? My guess was he was a defenceman but I could not recognize him, or the player in the orange jersey for that matter.

Reichel walked past me and sat a few rows behind me. I wanted to go ask him who the player was, but thought better of it.

" Excuse me Warren, can I ask you just one question ? "..........

Old
08-28-2012, 07:02 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Is Alonge taking part on ice or still recovering?
skating but not cleared for contact

Old
08-28-2012, 07:02 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Of when O'Rielly went ahead of Hallsy and we grabbed him with the second overall pick....
I could be wrong but I think I remember Hall had told Erie not to pick him because he would not report?

Old
08-28-2012, 07:04 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWTY View Post
First time poster, daily reader. Really appreciate the knowledge on here.

Was at the second session and I have to admit, it was great to see Henrique and Harry Young on our ice again. It may just be a badmory on my part, but Harry looked SO MUCH FASTER than he used to be. I guess that's what happens when hockey is your job. I found myself watching them more than others, sort of like when you get a surprise last chance to see something and you know you should appreciate it. Hard to believe those 2 were just pieces and not stars. We won't see talent like those teams again.

I agree with everything said about Ho-Sang. Warren got his money's worth there for sure. ( just kidding Warren).

Most impressed with Sieloff, in my humble opinion he could be our best defenceman this year already.

One question for the guys there today. There was another non-roster guy, black jersey, red pants and red helmet ( no team logo ) . I assume he was an ex spit also. Anyone know who he was ? My guess was he was a defenceman but I could not recognize him, or the player in the orange jersey for that matter.

Reichel walked past me and sat a few rows behind me. I wanted to go ask him who the player was, but thought better of it.

" Excuse me Warren, can I ask you just one question ? "..........
The player in orange was Stephen Alonge who is skating but not cleared for contact
The other player was either Mike Weber,Brett Bellmore or Andy Delmore

Old
08-28-2012, 07:08 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
I could be wrong but I think I remember Hall had told Erie not to pick him because he would not report?
That is correct,at first Hall would not report either,the stench from the previous ownership had not completely disappeared

Old
08-28-2012, 07:19 PM
AWTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
The player in orange was Stephen Alonge who is skating but not cleared for contact
The other player was either Mike Weber,Brett Bellmore or Andy Delmore
Thanks. Now that I think of it he did look like Delmore a bit but I haven't seen Delmore for awhile. Whoever he was, he looked like he had some skills, and a lot more mobile than I would picture Delmore at this stage. Appreciate the answer.

Old
08-28-2012, 07:22 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
That is correct,at first Hall would not report either,the stench from the previous ownership had not completely disappeared
Ya that's what I thought, I know Ho-Sang stated early he would report any where but people seem to have mixed opinions on whether or not that was actually true toward the end of the year. For a player of his caliber dropping to 5 raises a few questions especially when he went to a Windsor over Kingston, the Petes, and the Soo.

Old
08-28-2012, 08:03 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
Ya that's what I thought, I know Ho-Sang stated early he would report any where but people seem to have mixed opinions on whether or not that was actually true toward the end of the year. For a player of his caliber dropping to 5 raises a few questions especially when he went to a Windsor over Kingston, the Petes, and the Soo.
He said he would go anywhere in one magazine article, but that wasnt the case when it came down to it. He made it well known he was only going to go to Windsor and was in Windsor on the morning of the draft knowing he'd fall. The top 10 picks of the first round were well known by other OHL gms, although someone could have thrown them a curveball and ended up with a Domi situation. There were other issues at play as well. The incident with Tyler Cooper in the OHL cup had 2 ohl gm's very concerned although those gm's had no chance at Hosang reporting to there team at that point. He was already a lock to go to Windsor Id say by Christmas or earlier. His play dropped off toward the end of the year too. He turned into a me-first player who would rarely share the puck with anyone. If a kid says Im not going to report to your team for watever reason he will fall, if teams think there are character issues, he will fall as well.

For those who watched Hosang..how was his game in training camp? Was he a playmaker? He had 2 different styles of play in his last 2 years of Minor Midget. Im thinking he will go back to being a playmaker first this year, which I think best suits him. He can snipe too. Moving him to the wing is a great idea in my opinion. He is excellent on the PP. I think he is capable of a 60-75 point season.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 08-28-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old
08-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Pukhogg

What are some of the new faces we may see this year? Do You think the coaches could make some sudden changes with the FA or walk ons? It's possible a player/goalie come in and steal the show. Any thoughts?

Closed Thread