HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
08-31-2012, 01:54 PM
Crottenham

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
I hear what your sayin'......but to legislate a limit to it makes for tenative hockey.Fighting does have its place IMO.

By tenative hockey I mean players are thinking more than reacting in a play situation.Look how good clean hard checks have been taken out of the OHL game as the players dont really know if the check they put on an opponent will be called boarding,hitting from behind or charging.Seen it last year when a good clean check was called.Even the ref's dont know what to call.

I know all the do gooders that hate fighting in hockey, but anyone that has watched hockey for yrs knows, that rarely does anyone get really hurt by it, the fans love it and it sells tickets and sometimes a good fight can swing momentum in the game.

The worst stuff is the vicious elbows, head shots and stick work.All because IMO fighting is frowned upon.Sorry but hockey is a man's game.But I really believe that their agenda some day is to include women in the sport along side men.Just sayin'
All very good points but I think given what we know and have learned in the recent past re concussions and their long term negative effect on people's lives, I think this is a prudent measure.

I've always thought that the NHL should have the AHL try for one year a season with no fighting and monitor if attendance is affected negatively, the incidence of other injuries as a result of fighting being removed increases, and the general perception of the fans towards the game without fighting.

No one really pays attention to the players after they have left the game. Sadly, NFL alumni (by virtue of recent suicides and other maladies) are demonstrating there are serious and long-lasting implications to repeated blows to the head. I understand hockey does not have the same incidence of head shots as football, but nevertheless there are simliarities.

Old
08-31-2012, 02:00 PM
Ottomatic

@gregmillen: It looks like the "O" is eliminating the trapezoid area. Great decision! Let's hope the NHL is next.

Old
08-31-2012, 02:02 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Sadly, NFL alumni (by virtue of recent suicides and other maladies) are demonstrating there are serious and long-lasting implications to repeated blows to the head. I understand hockey does not have the same incidence of head shots as football, but nevertheless there are simliarities.
Reggie Fleming is a prime example...plus lets not forget other recent players (not 100% head injuries) Derek Boogaard and today's is the one anniversary of the passing of Wade Belak

Old
08-31-2012, 02:10 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Reggie Fleming is a prime example...plus lets not forget other recent players (not 100% head injuries) Derek Boogaard and today's is the one anniversary of the passing of Wade Belak
Yeah, I don't want to belabour the point and this is my last post on the subject, but don't believe all pro leagues are not very seriously looking at ways to curb blows to the head, as if they don't lawsuits (NFL already there) and lack of appropriate insurance will no doubt force their hand. It is coming......

As an example of the neanderthal approach, one OHL team I know of told one of their 96 d-men after the rookie camp in the closing interview to simply take boxing lessons over the summer nothing else related to skills development, etc. As a parent, you have to wonder.

Old
08-31-2012, 02:12 PM
Ottomatic

Hickey is a 1993 already, I just don't see where we have a spot for him unless we make a move with a defenceman. I mean I could see him being a better #7 who doesn't dress all the time over a Sanvido or Brown, but that would mean barring a trade he'd have to beat out Bowen for that spot and even McNaughton.

Kinda weird though that we're seeing kids named after Shaquille O'Neal now. I'm old.

Khokhlachev is a monumental loss for us - he could have been the top player in the league. We're a totally different team if we could have penciled him in on our top line. Outside of Ho-Sang we have no guys who can create their own offense, and he's a rook. We're going to be a grind it out, dump-chase-cycle team again it seems.

Can OHL teams sign import players to the contracts the USNTDP does with it's players - where they'd need a $500K buyout to leave the program early?

Old
08-31-2012, 02:23 PM
SpItFiReZ

Anymore cuts yet?

Old
08-31-2012, 02:55 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Hickey is a 1993 already, I just don't see where we have a spot for him unless we make a move with a defenceman. I mean I could see him being a better #7 who doesn't dress all the time over a Sanvido or Brown, but that would mean barring a trade he'd have to beat out Bowen for that spot and even McNaughton.

Kinda weird though that we're seeing kids named after Shaquille O'Neal now. I'm old.

Khokhlachev is a monumental loss for us - he could have been the top player in the league. We're a totally different team if we could have penciled him in on our top line. Outside of Ho-Sang we have no guys who can create their own offense, and he's a rook. We're going to be a grind it out, dump-chase-cycle team again it seems.

Can OHL teams sign import players to the contracts the USNTDP does with it's players - where they'd need a $500K buyout to leave the program early?
I think they're just keeping guys around to get some ice in exhibition games. I actually think the Spits will take most of these exhibition games quite seriously they need some results to build confidence going into this season.

You're right about grind it out, dump and chase. The question then becomes how quickly to players abandon the system and whether the coaches can stay patient with it because the system was abandoned quite quickly last year. You won't see any other import guys unless they move Pavelka, I don't see Rychel paying out 50,000 to get a kid from the USNTDP. What you see right now is what you get. Barring any major moves I see a 7th or 8th seed with the team sneaking into the playoffs the final week or two. At the end of the day talent wins in this league and there just isn't enough of it on this team.

Old
08-31-2012, 05:42 PM
OHLTG

Not sure I agree with that.

You take the core from last year:

Rychel, Vail, Johnson, Maletta, Czinder, Marchese

None of those guys will decrease in production, and Maletta should score 20 this year. Add in Johnson growing, plus Marchese figuring it out, and you've got a solid veteran core.

Add in Ho-Sang, who could put up 15-20 goals, Bateman's improvements, and Ebert figuring out how to play, and there's no reason this club shouldn't battle for home-ice.

Old
08-31-2012, 06:12 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post

None of those guys will decrease in production, and Maletta should score 20 this year. Add in Johnson growing, plus Marchese figuring it out, and you've got a solid veteran core.

Add in Ho-Sang, who could put up 15-20 goals, Bateman's improvements, and Ebert figuring out how to play, and there's no reason this club shouldn't battle for home-ice.
You're an optimist, I on the other hand am a pessimist. I don't see Rychel putting up the same numbers as last year. I hope he does, and if he does it will be because he discovers the defensive side of the game. I see an improvement in Vail, Johnson and Maletta. I don't see Czinder or Marchese improving but do see them elsewhere.
I see Ho-Sang learning the ropes in the OHL to the tune of 10 goals. I do see him becoming a great OHL player but he'll need to get use to the rough and tumble OHL first. I do see both Ebert and Bateman improving, but after last year how could they not.
IMHO the Spits should be marginally better than last year providing the injury bug doesn't hit key players like Vail, Sieloff or Pavelka. If it does, just making the playoffs will be a challenge.

Old
08-31-2012, 06:34 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post

It's not a bad core but to begin I would not include Czinder as part of the core. He improved from last year and has gotten himself in better shape but by no means should that make him part of the core since he's an OA since he could be gone with a snap of the finger if a better OA becomes available.

I am skeptical of Rychel repeating his 40 goal season and that's not a bad thing he could still have 35 and that would be a very good year but you're really underestimating the loss of Khokhlachev. He was in the top 25 for ppg on a team that was 16th in GF. They haven't acquired another guy up the middle to replace Khokhlachev. Who are you going to rely on? Ho-Sang, Clarke, Vail? That's not enough in this league. There are going to be a lot of nights when Ho-Sang is overwhelmed having to go against the top line of opposing teams.

Remember by playing a dump and chase and grind it out type of game you have very little margin for error and by the nature of your game there will be a lot of 1 goal games that means it comes down to goaltending many nights and Pavelka was ok last year he's not better than Gibson, Mahalak, Sparks, Binnington and he's probably not better than Baille.

One thing to remember as well and the organization is going to downplay it but it will be a big story through the whole season until it's solved is the scandal surrounding the organization. You can only control certain things but these are kids and when they are brought into this just by association it can be a lot for the team to handle.

Old
08-31-2012, 06:55 PM
Windsor Chief

Not sure why the dislike of Czinder - based on what little icetime he took up last season he scored alot- only real knock on him is the age - and if he is in better shape this year (maybe someone watching can comment) he could become a force in this league, especially if we decide to park a big body or two in front of the net on the powerplay.

Old
08-31-2012, 07:39 PM
OHLTG

The knock on Czinder is his inconsistency and his fuse the size of Mackinac Bridge. While he put up 20 goals last year, give or take, he had stretches where he wasn't sure what a puck was. It also takes a ton to get him upset, which isn't good when you're 6'6 225.

Old
08-31-2012, 08:13 PM
Sec108

I think were over playing the loss of koko a bit.Yes the first yr he was here paired with Tommy K they clicked well, but last season koko was a non force out there most of the time.He either tried to do to much by himself or wasnt able it seemed to play with a bunch of rookies and lead.

As for Ho sang I would team him with Rychel or Johnson, as him and Benny clicked pretty good in the training camp scrimmage I watched.Both speedy forwards.

I think the Spits will struggle offensively and be in alot of close games where the D has to watch the GA for us to have a chance to win.If london,Plymouth and Kitchener are as good as I think they will be,thyre wont be many nights anyone can take a break this season as we better make some noise a bit as the future is cloudy right now.

Old
08-31-2012, 09:26 PM
big papa

Out of the players at the BW Game i thought Graham, Loiselle, Morrison, Hickey, Watson and Elser impressed me while Brown, Verbeek and McNaughton have a good chance to make the team. Sanvido should start the year in Junior B he has really slow foot speed while Smith, Bowen and Bilcke have improved but in my eyes i dont think its enough to warrent a full time spot with alot of younger talented kids in the system that would benifit more from the ice time. Studnika should stick in the OHL this year right out of camp. I never noticed Maletta at all still invisible to me.

Id say for the Pre Season that we will likely see 18 forwards, 10 defence and 3 goalies for 31 players untill after the 3rd preseason game with will give them a good look at how the bubble players. I could still see one of Posa or Braithwaite traded before the season starts sence it would give a young kid lmore ice time.

Old
08-31-2012, 09:39 PM
south of the border

not so sure about struggle

Quote:
I think were over playing the loss of koko a bit.Yes the first yr he was here paired with Tommy K they clicked well, but last season koko was a non force out there most of the time.He either tried to do to much by himself or wasnt able it seemed to play with a bunch of rookies and lead.

As for Ho sang I would team him with Rychel or Johnson, as him and Benny clicked pretty good in the training camp scrimmage I watched.Both speedy forwards.

I think the Spits will struggle offensively and be in alot of close games where the D has to watch the GA for us to have a chance to win.If london,Plymouth and Kitchener are as good as I think they will be,thyre wont be many nights anyone can take a break this season as we better make some noise a bit as the future is cloudy right now.
Collective improvement over last year at a reasonable pace from Rychel, Clarke, Vail, Johnsom, Marchese, plus improved blueline scoring should at least get us into the middle of the pack scoring this year. I agree there will be a lot of close games but also many games where we score 4+GF

Old
08-31-2012, 10:15 PM
big papa

SPITFIRES LINEUP for Saturday Night

97 BRADY VAIL 66 JOSH HO-SANG 13 JORDAN MALETTA
12 BEN JOHNSON 81 RYAN VERBEEK 24 HUNTER SMITH
94 BRENDEN MCCANN 19 SAM STUDNICKA 79 TY BILCKE
40 MITCHELL GRAHAM 91 DANNY ELSER 88 NICK CZINDER

26 SHAQUILLE HICKEY 44 ADAM BATEMAN
2 PATRICK SANVIDO 8 BRANDON DEVLIN
57 JORDAN MCNAUGHTON 7 JOHN BOWEN

GOALIES
30 DALEN KUCHMEY 80 JORDAN DEKORT

Scrathces: 3 STEPHEN ALONGE, 17 MICHAEL CLARKE, 16 KERBY RYCHEL, 61 CHRIS MARCHESE, 21 VLADIMIR IONIN, 5 JEFF BRAITHWAITE, 27 SAVERIO POSA, 29 GRAEME BROWN, 22 NICK EBERT, 10 PATRICK SIELOFF, 31 JAROSLAV PAVELKA

Old
08-31-2012, 10:28 PM
youngblood10

The key to a good season this year will be any form of added scoring from the defense core. It was virtually none existent last season and must improve. That and the natural progression of the returning players should position the team to be fighting for home ice this year. That is a fair expectation.

Old
08-31-2012, 10:56 PM
mapleleaf979

Patrick Sanvido impressing the spits:

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/08...ses-spitfires/

Old
08-31-2012, 11:54 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:

So you kind of contradict yourself. You say people are overplaying the loss of Koko a bit you say he was a non force last year but then point out he was playing with a bunch of rookies. His production was actually up a tick from 10-11. Then you go out to say the Spits will struggle offensively. If Khokhlachev was around and healthy it isn't far fetched to say he would have had 90+ points. Surprisingly for a team so young the Spits still lost 2 of their top 5 goal scorers in Khokhlachev and MacQueen and their 2nd most productive blueliner offensively with Robertson. I never liked MacQueen but you will still need to replace his 18 goals and 25 from Khokhlachev and hope Rychel repeats a 40 goal season.

Old
09-01-2012, 01:18 AM
Nyax

The problem for the Spits is that non of the teams that finished ahead of them last season have gotten significantly worse, except Sarnia if Galchenyuk sticks with the Habs. Guelph and Owen Sound should be improved and Saginaw will be solid,especially if Saad is back. I see a seventh place finish for the Spits, maybe sixth. Erie and the Soo wil battle for ninth.

Old
09-01-2012, 02:38 AM
OHLTG

As long as Sanvido doesn't shy away from the physical game, I'm fine with a defensive d-man.

Old
09-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Windsor Chief

Maybe Sieloff can set a good example on how to play a physical game

Old
09-01-2012, 10:36 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyax View Post
The problem for the Spits is that non of the teams that finished ahead of them last season have gotten significantly worse, except Sarnia if Galchenyuk sticks with the Habs. Guelph and Owen Sound should be improved and Saginaw will be solid,especially if Saad is back. I see a seventh place finish for the Spits, maybe sixth. Erie and the Soo wil battle for ninth.
That's my point to begin there's a terrific chance Windsor, Owen Sound and Guelph are already fighting for 4th seed and lower. Nobody else in this conference is at the level of London, Kitchener and Plymouth. To put it in perspective only 10 points separated 4th and 8th and it will probably be the same this yer. It will be up to Windsor to get goaltending and win close games because keep in mind almost 30% of their games are against Plymouth, Kitchener and London. They need to take care of business against teams like OS, Sar, Gue, Erie etc.. because points against the top 3 teams will be scarce.

Old
09-01-2012, 10:41 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
The key to a good season this year will be any form of added scoring from the defense core. It was virtually none existent last season and must improve. That and the natural progression of the returning players should position the team to be fighting for home ice this year. That is a fair expectation.
That's a good point but I think any additional offense from the blueline it will have to be acquired via trade. Ebert is their most gifted blueliner offensively. Braithwaite and Posa are both OA's and offense is not their game at all. Maybe Sieloff will help a bit but I think he really just wants to have the shutdown role and won't have many chances to pitch in offensively. After that you're left with Bateman and Devlin if they both make the jump and help it could happen but there aren't many options on the blueline.

Old
09-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Sec108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor Chief View Post
Maybe Sieloff can set a good example on how to play a physical game
Im looking forward to Sieloff's physical game also but do you think the OHL ref's will let him play his game??? that will be interesting to see.

Also we can listen to tonights game in Yack arena from the Whaler's site.

Closed Thread