HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
09-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Jackman

vCash: 500
I was disappointed in Seiloff's play today. Granted its his first exhibition game in the league so hopefully he improves but to me he looked to be struggling with the pace.

Verbeek and Sadvido looked good and I'm hoping they get a regular spot in the line-up in the regular season.

Old
09-03-2012, 04:50 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quick start is imperative this year, less than 3 weeks the season opens need to get down to basics and start winning and get these kids some confidence.

Old
09-03-2012, 04:53 PM
OHLTG

Sieloff looked alright to me. He's going to take time to adjust, but he attempted some monster hits and just timed them wrong.

Old
09-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Spitsfan67*

Spits need to put a package together(2dman,1forward) for a young scorer, I think the spits need another offensive threat and would like to see Warren pull the trigger.....any one here any trade rumors or a player the spits may be targeting?

Old
09-03-2012, 05:08 PM
big papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Spits need to put a package together(2dman,1forward) for a young scorer, I think the spits need another offensive threat and would like to see Warren pull the trigger.....any one here any trade rumors or a player the spits may be targeting?
Agree

Old
09-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Libbs

It must be the pre-season!

Old
09-03-2012, 05:23 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
It must be the pre-season!
Everybody has their own idea what the pre-season is. One thing is for certain if you lose in preseason people say it's only exhibition, if you win it means the group is getting confidence and I am leaning more towards this especially with the team they have. I remember back in the fall of 07 after a poor year for Windsor and the young kids coming in for their 2nd year Bailey, Henrique, Cundari, Nemisz, Hall, Ellis etc.. They set the tone early and bombed teams in the preseason and it carried over into the regular season.

Keep in mind this year with likely zero NHL training camps a great deal of prospects will be staying back with their junior teams so these games are a good barometer for where you are as a team. Taking almost 5 periods to score a goal in OHL exhibition play isn't a good sign in the least.

Old
09-03-2012, 05:25 PM
OHLTG

Scoring three goals in two periods, though, and stopping the floodgates from opening is.

Old
09-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Libbs

Yes but you know me...I have a wait and see attitude.

Calling for changes before all of our supposed care has a chance to play together.... it's a typical Windsor pre-season.

Old
09-03-2012, 05:29 PM
big papa

id say as of right now that are top nine will be Rychel, Marchese, Johnson, Vail, Clarke, Ho-Sang, Ionin, Czinder, Maletta leaving Verbeek, Studnika, Smith, Bilcke, Alonge, Graham, McCann all fighting for 3 Spots.

Alonge is still out bc of his Shoulder dont know how long untill he is ready, Smith has improved but not enough to make this team, Verbeek should make the team, Studnika should make the team at least for the start af the year, Bilcke is just there for fights, Graham is really skilled and plays a hard game, McCann is just filling out a spot untill the season starts

For defence we have Ebert, Posa, Braithwaite, Bateman, Sieloff, Bowen, Devlin, McNaughton, Brown, Sandvido. Brwon and Sanvido will likely start in Junior so they get playing time while Bowen and McNaughton should fight for the 6th/7th spot

Last edited by big papa: 09-03-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old
09-03-2012, 05:42 PM
youngblood10

Don't read anything into the game results, the Spits were evaluating with the ice time some of the players on the bubble received and who was dressed. Just look at the line match ups for the evidence. In the regular season Hunter Smith isn't going to get more ice time then Kirby and Noesen's line isn't going to draw McCann's, just a hunch.

Lots of good signs from some individuals as mentioned already. Looking forward to see how the team shapes up in the coming weeks.

Old
09-03-2012, 06:02 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by big papa View Post
id say as of right now that are top nine will be Rychel, Marchese, Johnson, Vail, Clarke, Ho-Sang, Ionin, Czinder, Maletta leaving Verbeek, Studnika, Smith, Bilcke, Alonge, Graham, McCann all fighting for 3 Spots.

Alonge is still out bc of his Shoulder dont know how long untill he is ready, Smith has improved but not enough to make this team, Verbeek should make the team, Studnika should make the team at least for the start af the year, Bilcke is just there for fights, Graham is really skilled and plays a hard game, McCann is just filling out a spot untill the season starts

For defence we have Ebert, Posa, Braithwaite, Bateman, Sieloff, Bowen, Devlin, McNaughton, Brown, Sandvido. Brwon and Sanvido will likely start in Junior so they get playing time while Bowen and McNaughton should fight for the 6th/7th spot
Up front is easy: Verbeek, Studnicka, Bilcke, and Graham. The rest go to LaSalle or elsewhere. You're going to need Bilcke on this team, regardless of how many points he puts up. A 6'3 210lb guy is still extremely intimidating.

On the line: I'd trade Devlin and someone for a goal scorer. Sanvido would make huge strides up here, while Brown should see time with the Vipers.

Old
09-03-2012, 06:15 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Hickey and Elser cut. Spits sign Mitchell Graham
Thought Hickey might help out if the Spits had a trade in the works. Not surprised Elser cut. Graham was one of the more energetic players today. Elusive but wish he had another 20 lbs and a couple more inches.

Ho-Sang was invisible for over half the game and then it was if he figured it out. He erupted and was dominant for the balance of the game. Great shot,creativity, good stick handler, passer and anticipates the play well. Hope the trend continues.

Sieloff will figure it out as well. Sanvido needs better balance on his skates but size does count and he'll develop into a Harry Young type D-man one day.

A good learning game for the team. They played much better in the last half of the game.

Old
09-03-2012, 06:32 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
Don't read anything into the game results, the Spits were evaluating with the ice time some of the players on the bubble received and who was dressed. Just look at the line match ups for the evidence. In the regular season Hunter Smith isn't going to get more ice time then Kirby and Noesen's line isn't going to draw McCann's, just a hunch.

Lots of good signs from some individuals as mentioned already. Looking forward to see how the team shapes up in the coming weeks.
That would be an interesting discussion even in exhibition why would you want to give time to Smith against a guy like Noesen. The key for Smith is to find a niche and put him in situations where he can succeed because everybody would say having him out there against Noesen isn't putting him in a situation to succeed. Right or wrong the Spits are under a microscope and it started on that Friday in August.

Old
09-03-2012, 07:00 PM
big papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Thought Hickey might help out if the Spits had a trade in the works. Not surprised Elser cut. Graham was one of the more energetic players today. Elusive but wish he had another 20 lbs and a couple more inches.

Ho-Sang was invisible for over half the game and then it was if he figured it out. He erupted and was dominant for the balance of the game. Great shot,creativity, good stick handler, passer and anticipates the play well. Hope the trend continues.

Sieloff will figure it out as well. Sanvido needs better balance on his skates but size does count and he'll develop into a Harry Young type D-man one day.
Agree but i would like to see Sanvido start in Junior so that he can get better at skating it worked with Clarke so it should work with him while also giving him some playing time as a top 4 instead of just in practice while getting a few shift in every game. With Brown we have so many d-man who can play on the team that have a similar game to him that he wouldnt really get a chance to play unless its in Junior B along with Sanvido. I think McNaughton is ready for the OHL he didnt look out of place and would be alot better back there then Bowen who might be a forward most games while Bilcke is in the box after fights.

Old
09-03-2012, 07:05 PM
OHLTG

Bowen was up front today and didn't look out of place. If there's a way to keep him on the wing, I'm all for it.

Old
09-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Sec108

Thought Pav was kind of out of sorts in that first period.Ho Sang is better than I anticipated.Great stick handling and skating and "getting it" after like 1&1/2 games.to me quite impressive ina kid his age.let him get 10 or 12 games under his belt and watch out.

Liked Bilke's hustle , he can be a good grinder out there for us i think.

Thought Seiloff would be alot more physical out on the D but early still, PP needs more shots on goal less pretty plays,more vets also need to step up even though its only exhib.

Like Brown and Verbeeks skating abilities,Sanvido starts in jrB along with Smith.

Old
09-03-2012, 07:26 PM
youngblood10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
That would be an interesting discussion even in exhibition why would you want to give time to Smith against a guy like Noesen. The key for Smith is to find a niche and put him in situations where he can succeed because everybody would say having him out there against Noesen isn't putting him in a situation to succeed. Right or wrong the Spits are under a microscope and it started on that Friday in August.
Smith and other guys fighting for those bottom 6 positions logged much more ice time, taking a regular shift something that wouldn't happen in a regular season game. Players who would have drawn that assignment were sitting in the press box watching the game so several times line up matches gave the Whalers a big advantage. It's clear the Spitfires are evaluating in these first two exhibition games. Go see them and it's a simple concept. Much less complex then commenting on something you don't see or hear.

Old
09-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Sec108

Didnt anyone else think that Smith would have been a little higher on the learning curve??? Watching him today, he seems to be just a wee bit better than last year which is a little disappointing.

Old
09-03-2012, 07:37 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
Smith and other guys fighting for those bottom 6 positions logged much more ice time, taking a regular shift something that wouldn't happen in a regular season game. Players who would have drawn that assignment were sitting in the press box watching the game so several times line up matches gave the Whalers a big advantage. It's clear the Spitfires are evaluating in these first two exhibition games. Go see them and it's a simple concept. Much less complex then commenting on something you don't see or hear.
Just going by what people said they didn't play well. I saw both lineups Whalers might have a bit more talent playing up front but Windsor should have had the advantage defensively giving up 5 goals and 40+ shots isn't good.

Old
09-04-2012, 07:54 AM
OHLTG

Saw this on another sub-forum:

http://thehockeywriters.com/ohl-2012...review-part-4/

Only two things I don't understand are:

1. How is Brendan McCann anything besides expendable?
2. Where's Devlin? (they mention Sanvido and Brown, but neither of which are expected to do much, I'd imagine)

Old
09-04-2012, 01:18 PM
SpItFiReZ

I personally think Devlin will have a good year.

Ebert, Seiloff
Bateman, Posa
Devlin, Brathwaite
Bowen

Would be ideal for me. Sanvido and Brown get into a couple of games. McNaughton....I like him but he's expendable especially since Bowen could play the wing.

Old
09-04-2012, 03:50 PM
OHLTG

I'm not really sure what to make of this:

SBY
Derek Schoenmakers
TO
WSR
Ldn's 3rd Rnd '13
Sar's 2nd Rnd '16

Schoenmakers is a feisty, OA winger who will put up about 50 points a year, but also 100+ PIM.

6'2 189.

Old
09-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Raisy

Read on the NOOF that Windsor acquired Schoenmakers from Sudbury for a 3rd in 13 and a 2nd in 16. One of the existing OAs must be on their way out, hopefully for younger scorer.

Old
09-04-2012, 04:01 PM
OHLTG

I can see this going two ways:

1. Braithwaite gone for pick(s), making room for either Sanvido or Brown to make the club (though, this doesn't make sense from a competitive POV).

2. Czinder + ?? for a young scorer.

Closed Thread