HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2012, 01:10 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spits2timechamps View Post
I'm not really sure how I feel about this whole thing. On one hand I hated the fact that when you were listening to the games you never knew what period or how much time was left all the time. Also when Kelso first started If you weren't listening to every minute of the game you would never know which team actually scored. You'd hear him go nuts and be excited and then you hear...."WHAT AN AMASING SHOT BY JARED KNIGHT!!!!" .....ughhhhhh I absolutely hate that!!!! He did get a little better last season so we could kind of tell which team scored if we happened to enter the room but still not much of a loss. As for Papa he is mostly missed because of his longevity I mean most of us if not all of us first started watching the spits and he was the one you'd always see walking down the hall in the ol' barn.

I just want a guy that shows that he is a SPITFIRE'S comentator not a OHL comentator. I don't want to hear excitement or praise when the knights score I could care less if you'd cut out the volume when they do.
Kelso wasn't homer enough? Wow... he barely acknowledges there's another team on the ice.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:22 PM
OHLTG

Bias gives you something to engage in, though. I loved watching the old Erie webcasts because Jeanerette (sp?) was incredibly biased, but he was so much fun to listen to. His take on a Jordan Shine fight had me in stitches, not to mention the Sladok/Liambas fight. There are currently broadcasts, which I won't name, that are neutral, but have put me to sleep (both Western Conference). Give me energy, give me bias, give me an entertaining broadcast.

LOL Spits2timechamps - that reminds me of Steve Bell and how he called goals, as if they were either the best thing or worst thing to ever happen.

Home goal: "Ott skates down the wing, he has Mathers streaking down next to him. Ott, over to Mathers, shoots, SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORES!!!!! SHAWWWWN MAAAAAAAAAAATHERS!!"

Road goal: "Nate Kiser passes up to Steven Weiss, he breaks in...shoots...scores.............................. ..........Steven Weiss....................and the Whalers have put one up on the board........................it's now 3-1 Windsor."

Old
08-01-2012, 03:21 PM
dereksutton9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
That would be interesting. I don't blame Trenholm as I said his role is so small a 7 second tidbit between the benches 2-3 times a period.
Than Trenholm and that role of being near ice has no purpose and should be cut altogether. Plus, he didn't exactly make the most of what little time he had since he would never add anything. To decline comment of an on ice exchange because of profanity is ridiculous. Paraphase and explain what you saw.

Quote:
It's my experience watching sports the best color guys are the ones that never played the game at a high level.
Okay I'll bite. Name someone who fits that bill.

A former athlete has authority based on experience. I would rather have analysis by someone who can relate to an on ice experience having gone through it than have some clown interpret what he/she saw. I can do that on my own.

The key is finding someone who can relate what he/she remembers to what was just enacted and then effectively communicate to the masses. Unfortunately at the OHL level, with the money likely available, the talent pool is pretty shallow.

The homerism complaints are the least of the exiting trio's problems. They were a local broadcast and usually broadcasting just for the local team. Just because the other team was splicing in on the telecast, no reason to expect neutrality. Now if Kelso and Papa were doing a national broadcast and were being paid by a national medium, then biasness is an issue.

Old
08-01-2012, 04:08 PM
SpItFiReZ

If it is frank dayus....they need to shake their heads

Old
08-01-2012, 04:27 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpItFiReZ View Post
If it is frank dayus....they need to shake their heads
It wont be him,or Steve Bell or Paul Macdonald
Cogeco has hired 2 out of towners
1 from Chatham and 1 from Bleinheim
Both have never done an OHL game with the duties they are to perform

Old
08-01-2012, 04:49 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksutton9 View Post
Than Trenholm and that role of being near ice has no purpose and should be cut altogether. Plus, he didn't exactly make the most of what little time he had since he would never add anything. To decline comment of an on ice exchange because of profanity is ridiculous. Paraphase and explain what you saw.

Okay I'll bite. Name someone who fits that bill.

A former athlete has authority based on experience. I would rather have analysis by someone who can relate to an on ice experience having gone through it than have some clown interpret what he/she saw. I can do that on my own.

The key is finding someone who can relate what he/she remembers to what was just enacted and then effectively communicate to the masses. Unfortunately at the OHL level, with the money likely available, the talent pool is pretty shallow.

The homerism complaints are the least of the exiting trio's problems. They were a local broadcast and usually broadcasting just for the local team. Just because the other team was splicing in on the telecast, no reason to expect neutrality. Now if Kelso and Papa were doing a national broadcast and were being paid by a national medium, then biasness is an issue.
Well Brian Billick is one of the best in the NFL now he was a coach in the NFL but never played a down in the NFL. Jeff Van Gundy played college ball but never played professionally and is one of the best in the NBA. The worst are guys like McCarver, Joe Morgan, Troy Aikman, Cris Collinsworth. The players that go into a broadcast booth you will rarely hear them be impartial. You rarely hear Aikman criticize a QB for example or Morgan criticize an infielder.

I agree with what you say about the OHL though and this is why it probably comes down to money they will probably shove a couple guys in front of the mic who are wet behind the ears and let them learn on the job.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:05 PM
RayzorIsDull

Legend I see the Whalers improved their D by acquiring Curcuruto from the Soo for Dempsey and Mascarin. The Whalers have now added Carrick and Curcuruto and if they sign their import . To go along with Malysa, Crombeen, Jones and the MacDonald boys I don't know which one they will keep but one will probably be gone. They added Hartman up front. Whalers will run away with the west again this year.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:16 PM
OHLTG

The names I've heard are McLeod and Warriner.

Old
08-01-2012, 06:06 PM
spits2timechamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Bias gives you something to engage in, though. I loved watching the old Erie webcasts because Jeanerette (sp?) was incredibly biased, but he was so much fun to listen to. His take on a Jordan Shine fight had me in stitches, not to mention the Sladok/Liambas fight. There are currently broadcasts, which I won't name, that are neutral, but have put me to sleep (both Western Conference). Give me energy, give me bias, give me an entertaining broadcast.

LOL Spits2timechamps - that reminds me of Steve Bell and how he called goals, as if they were either the best thing or worst thing to ever happen.

Home goal: "Ott skates down the wing, he has Mathers streaking down next to him. Ott, over to Mathers, shoots, SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORES!!!!! SHAWWWWN MAAAAAAAAAAATHERS!!"

Road goal: "Nate Kiser passes up to Steven Weiss, he breaks in...shoots...scores.............................. ..........Steven Weiss....................and the Whalers have put one up on the board........................it's now 3-1 Windsor."
LOL yeah Steve Bell was awesome, Greatest comentator Ive ever listened to period NHL, OHL, anything. Whenever the other team scored it was like the end of the world and when our team scored it was a celebration. He was like another fan you felt like you were at the arena watching the game.

Old
08-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Windsor Chief

Dom Papa gone = great news
Bill Kelso gone= unfortunate (glad to hear it was bill's choice)
Trenholm = replaceable

Dayus - might be the one who i'd list as worse than dom

Anyone new .... i'll wait and hear them before commenting.

ANY word on Tolchinsky ?

Old
08-01-2012, 06:40 PM
cfaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
The names I've heard are McLeod and Warriner.
Former player living in Blenheim these days.

Don't know about the other one.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:36 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Legend I see the Whalers improved their D by acquiring Curcuruto from the Soo for Dempsey and Mascarin. The Whalers have now added Carrick and Curcuruto and if they sign their import . To go along with Malysa, Crombeen, Jones and the MacDonald boys I don't know which one they will keep but one will probably be gone. They added Hartman up front. Whalers will run away with the west again this year.
Rayzor

Been thinking all along that Plymouth,London and Kitchener should be the top 3 in the conference,with the rest except Erie and the Sault battling for 4th
I must say nobody on that defence meaning Plymouth scares me however they have improved the back end going forward
I expect as usual for the Whalers to flame out before winning their recent past proves it

Old
08-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Nyax

I for one am going to miss Dom. Not because he is a great broadcaster, but for his passion for the Spits and the OHL. It will be really strange watching a Spits telecast without the guy. I hope they still do the rink buzz type stuff. Trenholm, while a fairly knowledgeable guy, seemed really awkward on tv. He's not a huge loss. As for Kelso, I like his passion for the Spits, but sometimes it's a little too much. He tried too hard to be Joe Bowen instead of developing his own style. He also would pronounce a lot of players' names incorrectly. Paging Ryan Sproul. Still, there certainly are worse play by play guys in the O.

I'm not sure who this McLeod guy is but Warriner should be interesting. I'm just glad the games will finally be in HD.

Old
08-01-2012, 09:15 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyax View Post
I for one am going to miss Dom. Not because he is a great broadcaster, but for his passion for the Spits and the OHL. It will be really strange watching a Spits telecast without the guy. I hope they still do the rink buzz type stuff. Trenholm, while a fairly knowledgeable guy, seemed really awkward on tv. He's not a huge loss. As for Kelso, I like his passion for the Spits, but sometimes it's a little too much. He tried too hard to be Joe Bowen instead of developing his own style. He also would pronounce a lot of players' names incorrectly. Paging Ryan Sproul. Still, there certainly are worse play by play guys in the O.

I'm not sure who this McLeod guy is but Warriner should be interesting. I'm just glad the games will finally be in HD.
Nyax

FYI- the broadcasters are provided with pronouncement guides and in Ryan Sprouls' case it is pronounced sprowl according to the guide
I know because I have seen it
Cant always blame the BPB guy he is going by the guide

Old
08-01-2012, 09:19 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyax View Post

Yes
Warriner should be interesting
seeing that he has never done a game before as a analyst

Old
08-01-2012, 09:24 PM
OHLTG

Media guides are given to announcers and include pronunciations for many players, even the basic ones.

Old
08-01-2012, 09:24 PM
hockeylegend11

Hearing both Cogeco and Spitfires email and voicemail got heavy traffic today from upset fans
While Cogeco deserves it,Spits dont
Was not their call,but unfortunately being dragged into this
Can also confirmed that Kelso found out by twitter 3 weeks ago his fate
It was on the replacement guys twitter,and then 3 hrs later mysteriously removed
Classy move Cogeco,u would think 15 years service deserves better

Old
08-01-2012, 10:14 PM
dereksutton9

Quote:
Well Brian Billick is one of the best in the NFL now he was a coach in the NFL but never played a down in the NFL. Jeff Van Gundy played college ball but never played professionally and is one of the best in the NBA.
Your original statement infers someone with a fan's knowledge as a good base for a colour commentator. Kind of splitting hairs with coaches as opposed to players aren't you??? Each example have certainly enough insight and inside knowlege to their sports like a player.

As I recall, Aikman doesn't have any issues criticizing QB play even Romo. He's complimentary at times but he's also had no issues questioning the overrated Romo.

"Romo has faced similar criticism from another Cowboys icon. Last January, Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman questioned whether Romo understood what it takes to be quarterback of the Cowboys. During the offseason, Romo vowed to become a more "active" and effective leader for the coming season."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4458174

Whatever his opinion is of a QB, you can't doubt or knock Aikman's credibility unlike say a Papa who has absolutely no credentials as a colour analyst other than being a faithful follower of a team.

Old
08-01-2012, 10:17 PM
H44

For the last several years i have watched many games on the Action Pack. I am not a Spits fan, but always enjoyed watching the Spits games - i thought your broadcast crew was the best in the OHL. I automatically turn off the sound when i watch a certain Western Conference team play their home games. Visually, it is much easier to watch a game produced by Rogers, than one produced by Cogeco.

Old
08-02-2012, 08:16 AM
hockeylegend11

Windsor fans/viewers are in for a huge drop in broadcast quality sound wise in the fall with the unnecessary changes as Cogeco elects to go with unqualified broadcasters
Unlike 7 to 10 years ago when broadcasts were truly local in broadcast area scope technology now sees the games on a regional and on the world wide internet market
Of course people outside the Windsor market have to pay whether monthly re OHL action pak or game by game on the internet thru the league
Thus the OHL and the Spits have a vested interested afterall its their brand that is being shown/promoted
It is a partnership between the league,clubs and Cogeco
In my view this far different then just local tv sports
It deserves quality all the way around from the picture presentation to the sound presentation
Experienced broadcasters should be the rule
Cogeco in this case is thumbing their noses at their broadcast partners,afterall I can for certain that there was no consultation with the Spits and the league,just a decision which was then passed on
This the last yr in a deal with Cogeco,pretty dumb I say to piss off your partners
Windsor viewers and league wide viewers are about to be shocked come fall
The Spits and the League wanted nothing to do with these changes made by TV Cogeco are forced to live with it because of contractual obligations
In other words Spits are being held hostage
Shameful behaviour by the local Cogeco Tv people supported by the heads in their ***** mge in Burlington
No doubt the 3 broadcasters have their detractors,cant please everyone but of all opinions,comments I have seen and heard the majority feel a bad decision was made and proof will come this fall
I feel really bad for the Spits,the fans,viewers,families of spits players who i know enjoy the broadcasts,what they are about to see wont be prettyand i am willing to bet the detractors will be squawking too

Old
08-02-2012, 08:46 AM
RayzorIsDull

Legend I was thinking about this whole mess and maybe Cogeco wants to skimp on broadcaster quality due to the fact home games will be in HD. You quite often see in lines of business when there is an add on of something significant to a product they also take something away. It doesn't make it right but maybe Cogeco is of the belief that having the games in HD will attract viewers regardless of who's broadcasting it. I will probably still watch games because I don't really like the arena but overall to think HD will carry them is wrong.

Old
08-02-2012, 09:16 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Legend I was thinking about this whole mess and maybe Cogeco wants to skimp on broadcaster quality due to the fact home games will be in HD. You quite often see in lines of business when there is an add on of something significant to a product they also take something away. It doesn't make it right but maybe Cogeco is of the belief that having the games in HD will attract viewers regardless of who's broadcasting it. I will probably still watch games because I don't really like the arena but overall to think HD will carry them is wrong.
Rayzor

You might have point though i dont think so
If you are going to broadcast in HD why jeopardize next yrs deal in what could be a mem cup hosting team stress could be
Once Cogeco is out they wont get back in
Believe there is a potential outfit out there with capabilities to telecast
If the Spits can present a workable business model to the league without TV Cogeco as a partner,poor choice of words sorry the league may go for it
I am in agreement with if Cogeco thinks HD will carry the way they are mistaken
Personally again I dont feel it is or was the case
What TV Cogeco did was cold,calulated,without reason and it will backfire believe me

Old
08-02-2012, 09:34 AM
cfaub

Technical changes are one thing but personality changes are something else. Broadcasting in HD is great but if you are replacing the broadcasting "face" of the team while doing so have they invested a lot of money and yet are setting themselves up for failure by changing who we see and hear bringing us the game?

Of course not everyone supports who we hear and see, after how mnay years how many people still do not support Mike Miller on the radio? The thing is the Spits are taking on that risk with their own product.

In this case if all the control lies with Cogeco then the product on the ice, the support for that product is affetced by what someone else does, in this case Cogeco making unsupported or unwanted changes in how the Spits prioduct is presented on TV/online.

It appears Cogeco is relying on the Spits continueing to draw viewers while feeling that those involved in the public side of the broadcast have no affect on viewership.

They may be disappointed if the new crew does not come out and hit a home run because if people are not enjoying the game due to the broadcast they will turn it off.

Spending all this money on upgrading the broadcast then eliminating the "face" of it is a big risk and if they do not pull it off then it is not only Cogeco that loses out but it also reflects poorly on the Spits as well.

My question though is what recourse do the Spits have when this contract is up? Are they obligated to provide a broadcast and theregore with Cogeco being the only option here they are forced to deal with the quality that Cogeco is willing to provide?

Do they have the option of doing what they are with the radio broadcats, buy the airtime and services and provide their own crew or is it not a realistic idea?

The idea of people calling Cogeco as well as the Spits is the only way any action will be taken over this. This is a community service so to speak as far as the local broadcast goes and the community voicing its displeasure is the only way this can be changed. calling the Spits allows for the Spits to use the support to also push Cogeco as well as involve the league in terms of looking for alternatives that can used to ensure more influence over who actually represents the team so to speak in the broadcatss.

Is this over or is there time to change it for those who want to keep the continuity of the broadcasts?

I for one was looking forward to that familiar feel to the broadcasts this season, now I am wondering if I am going to enjoy the games on TV the way I did when I never had season tickets.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:08 AM
cfaub

With the trade freeze over where does Windsor stand?

Do they stand pat and head into the season with who they and evaluate after the season gets going or are there some possible deals pending, Tolchinsky or others?

Anyone hearing anything?

This off season has been relatively quiet so far.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Jackman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfaub View Post
Technical changes are one thing but personality changes are something else. Broadcasting in HD is great but if you are replacing the broadcasting "face" of the team while doing so have they invested a lot of money and yet are setting themselves up for failure by changing who we see and hear bringing us the game?

Of course not everyone supports who we hear and see, after how mnay years how many people still do not support Mike Miller on the radio? The thing is the Spits are taking on that risk with their own product.

In this case if all the control lies with Cogeco then the product on the ice, the support for that product is affetced by what someone else does, in this case Cogeco making unsupported or unwanted changes in how the Spits prioduct is presented on TV/online.

It appears Cogeco is relying on the Spits continueing to draw viewers while feeling that those involved in the public side of the broadcast have no affect on viewership.

They may be disappointed if the new crew does not come out and hit a home run because if people are not enjoying the game due to the broadcast they will turn it off.

Spending all this money on upgrading the broadcast then eliminating the "face" of it is a big risk and if they do not pull it off then it is not only Cogeco that loses out but it also reflects poorly on the Spits as well.

My question though is what recourse do the Spits have when this contract is up? Are they obligated to provide a broadcast and theregore with Cogeco being the only option here they are forced to deal with the quality that Cogeco is willing to provide?

Do they have the option of doing what they are with the radio broadcats, buy the airtime and services and provide their own crew or is it not a realistic idea?

The idea of people calling Cogeco as well as the Spits is the only way any action will be taken over this. This is a community service so to speak as far as the local broadcast goes and the community voicing its displeasure is the only way this can be changed. calling the Spits allows for the Spits to use the support to also push Cogeco as well as involve the league in terms of looking for alternatives that can used to ensure more influence over who actually represents the team so to speak in the broadcatss.

Is this over or is there time to change it for those who want to keep the continuity of the broadcasts?

I for one was looking forward to that familiar feel to the broadcasts this season, now I am wondering if I am going to enjoy the games on TV the way I did when I never had season tickets.
I think its pretty sad that some people are already trashing this new broadcast team when they haven't even done a game yet. Give them a chance.

I've never liked the three "old" personalities, and I especially disliked Poppa and his arrogant attitude.

But I'm going to wait until the new broadcast team has done a few games before passing judgement.

Closed Thread