HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2012, 10:59 AM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman View Post
I think its pretty sad that some people are already trashing this new broadcast team when they haven't even done a game yet. Give them a chance.

I've never liked the three "old" personalities, and I especially disliked Poppa and his arrogant attitude.

But I'm going to wait until the new broadcast team has done a few games before passing judgement.
I agree with this and I will give them an opportunity but we can certainly comment on the fact neither of the new personalities have done an OHL game before. How well do they know the league? During intermissions will they be able to get high profile guys like Patrick King for interviews? Even when they brought in Trenholm to talk during intermissions he showed he was knowledgeable about the league. Will these new announcers and commentators be able to show that knowledge?

Old
08-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Ottomatic

This is like when the Tigers fired Ernie Harwell and brought in Rizzes and Rathburn thinking Ernie was losing a step and wanted new fresh young faces for the booth. There was no clamoring for a move, this comes from some front office somewhere by some know-nothing - there was no organic demand for a move to be made here.

Now I'm not comparing the Spits trio to Ernie, but Papa has been pushing local amateur sports for 20+ years and is in many ways a local institution because of it - even if you don't like the guy's style or whatever, you have to respect the work he has put in over the years. Sure the coverage wasn't always polished or slick, but minor hockey is about characters in a lot of ways - to add to the overall flavor of the experience.

Old
08-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
I think its pretty sad that some people are already trashing this new broadcast team when they haven't even done a game yet. Give them a chance.

I've never liked the three "old" personalities, and I especially disliked Poppa and his arrogant attitude.

But I'm going to wait until the new broadcast team has done a few games before passing judgement.
Windsor outsiders who have never called OHL hockey. Simply put they have to prove themselves and don't deserve any benefit of the doubt. Dom has been covering the Spits since 1986 through a lot of the lean years, and has been a fixture on the local sports scene for just as long - if a highschool or local amateur event was on local 11, Dom Papa was the man doing it.

Old
08-02-2012, 11:44 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:

I think the new broadcast team should be held to a high standard
While u may not have liked the old broadcast team,a minority opinion by the way based on what I have read and heard,though u are certainly entitled to feel the way u do,the facts are that nobody but Cogeco wanted change
Cogeco"s partners Spits,OHL,the majority of Spits fanbase and viewers are not on board
These new guys better hit a homerun on their 1st broadcast
If these guys can pull it off having zero OHL experience at the jobs they are performing PBP and colour then I will wonder where the heck have they been all this time
Time will tell,however my experience says otherwise

Old
08-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Keystone Light

This Chris McLeod seems to fit the description. Radio guy from Chatham. If he's professional and has a proper voice and cadence, I'm excited.

http://943cksy.com/bios/chris-mcleod-bio/

Kelso was great, he'll be missed. Dom was a disaster. Trenholm was good. Could be good, could be bad, who knows. What everyone needs to remember is that this is junior hockey on local cable. Aside from a VERY niche market (US!), the vast majority of viewers, and sports fans for that matter, won't blink an eyelash. Best of luck to the outgoing team, best of luck to the incoming team, and most of all, best of luck to the Spits! I don't really care who calls the game, I'm just looking forward to another season!

Old
08-02-2012, 12:17 PM
dereksutton9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I think the new broadcast team should be held to a high standard.
That's probably what happened to Papa and Trehholm. I would not be surprised if the Cogeco decision-maker looked at Papa's tapes over the years and realized this was not the type of product he/she wanted Cogeco to pay for.

Some fans obviously liked Papa's fanboy charm but again, there are many of us who never liked the fact that his delivery never improved over the last umpteen years.

I know it's easier to blame a faceless corporation for greed in this but perhaps Papa had ridiculous demands this time around? Keeping last year's deal was maybe just too costly and Papa didn't want to renegotiate.

For all the Papa fans, he's only off the Spits broadcast. It's not like you can't tune into him fumbling through his self-answered questions on his lockerroom show.

Old
08-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Keystone Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksutton9 View Post

Some fans obviously liked Papa's fanboy charm but again, there are many of us who never liked the fact that his delivery never improved over the last umpteen years.

For all the Papa fans, he's only off the Spits broadcast. It's not like you can't tune into him fumbling through his self-answered questions on his lockerroom show.
Exactly! You never want to root against someone, but if you consistently performed poorly at your job, wouldn't your boss fire you? Or if you were enough of an asset in other areas, wouldn't you be expected to at least train enough to become average in your job's most important aspect? I'm sure Dom was fantastic behind the scenes, but, as previously stated, hasn't improved his delivery in 25 years.

I do, however, hate to see someone take a hit in the wallet. I hope the spits can find a spot for him in the PR department or some similar area.

Go Spits!

Old
08-02-2012, 12:50 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone Light View Post
This Chris McLeod seems to fit the description. Radio guy from Chatham. If he's professional and has a proper voice and cadence, I'm excited.

Kelso was great, he'll be missed. Dom was a disaster. Trenholm was good. Could be good, could be bad, who knows. What everyone needs to remember is that this is junior hockey on local cable. Aside from a VERY niche market (US!), the vast majority of viewers, and sports fans for that matter, won't blink an eyelash. Best of luck to the outgoing team, best of luck two the incoming team, and most of all, best of luck to the Spits! I don't really care who calls the game, I'm just looking forward to another season!
I hope it's not this guy. If I recall didn't he do the London Knights call in show during the regular season and post season? If it is this guy we are in for some fun times.

Old
08-02-2012, 12:52 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I hope it's not this guy. If I recall didn't he do the London Knights call in show during the regular season and post season? If it is this guy we are in for some fun times.
Rayzor

It is that guy

It was his twitter account that Kelso found out he was out

Old
08-02-2012, 12:54 PM
cfaub

Quote:

I don't know where I trashed the new guys in my post.

I did question Cogeco's decision making in it but not the new guys.

I did state that I was looking forward to hearing a familiar broadcast and did state that I would have to see how the new guys do.

I did not however question or trash them or their abilities.

I support a broadcast that I was familiar with and enjoyed watching and the reasoning behind those making the decisions for the one they made.

No doubt the new guys cannot be judged without ever calling a game and I haven't done that at this point. The idea of someone questioning their credentials, which should support or bring into question their perceived ability to do the job makes sense.

If they hired any Joe off the street who has no credentials in this area to call the games would you be expecting much or questioning the decision?

i would hope so. I have no doubt that if it were myself or anyone else from this board who was hired you question it so a couple of guys with no OHL broadcast experience suddenly coming up to call the games is not something people should question?

Old
08-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Keystone Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
No idea. I just googled "Chris McLeod broadcaster Chatham" and that's what popped up. Seemed to fit. I did see a mention of the Knights in one of the google results. He's that bad?

Old
08-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
What everyone needs to remember is that this is junior hockey on local cable. Aside from a VERY niche market (US!), the vast majority of viewers, and sports fans for that matter, won't blink an eyelash. Best of luck to the outgoing team, best of luck to the incoming team, and most of all, best of luck to the Spits! I don't really care who calls the game, I'm just looking forward to another season!
If it's local cable it means it's a niche market and most folks who watch the Spitfires have thus been watching Dom for 20+ years, so I'm pretty sure they'll notice and will care when some out of towner London Knight supporter(?) is brought in to replace a guy who has been covering local sports for over twenty years.

Old
08-02-2012, 01:39 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:

Kelso was great, he'll be missed. Dom was a disaster. Trenholm was good. Could be good, could be bad, who knows. What everyone needs to remember is that this is junior hockey on local cable. Aside from a VERY niche market (US!), the vast majority of viewers, and sports fans for that matter, won't blink an eyelash. Best of luck to the outgoing team, best of luck to the incoming team, and most of all, best of luck to the Spits! I don't really care who calls the game, I'm just looking forward to another season!
Actually on several nites particularly games vs London,Plymouth,SSM and Kitchener more viewers from those places are watching as opposed to Windsor viewers
Alot of Windsor viewers are those who watch it 1 of the 2 times they are rebroadcasted because they were at the games,many who want to see the fights ,etc again against Windsor"s best rivals
OHL hockey is no longer a niche tv thing or local thing as in the past,American teams not with standing
With the OHL Action pact and the internet a whole new audience can experience the O,whether its fans of other teams,or family and friends of those participating for either team playing a given nite
To me it is important if not imperative that the cable systems delivering these games to their subscribers local or otherwise provide competent on air talent as well as quality pictures to their viewing audience

Old
08-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Keystone Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
If it's local cable it means it's a niche market and most folks who watch the Spitfires have thus been watching Dom for 20+ years, so I'm pretty sure they'll notice and will care when some out of towner London Knight supporter(?) is brought in to replace a guy who has been covering local sports for over twenty years.
You are absolutely right, people will notice. I obviously didn't express myself very well, my apologies. I just think that the group of viewers that actually care about this move will prove insignificant, and the new crew may actually draw in more viewers, those that were turned off by Dom's stammering delivery.

You have the right to be angry that they've removed a personality that you've enjoyed listening/watching for years. I feel for you from that perspective. I'm just ready and willing to give a new color guy a shot. I will miss Kelso on the other hand. Thought he was very good.

Any rumors on the trade front?

Old
08-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Jackman

Quote:
I think the new broadcast team should be held to a high standard
While u may not have liked the old broadcast team,a minority opinion by the way based on what I have read and heard,though u are certainly entitled to feel the way u do,the facts are that nobody but Cogeco wanted change
Cogeco"s partners Spits,OHL,the majority of Spits fanbase and viewers are not on board
These new guys better hit a homerun on their 1st broadcast
If these guys can pull it off having zero OHL experience at the jobs they are performing PBP and colour then I will wonder where the heck have they been all this time
Time will tell,however my experience says otherwise
Well, I don't think it's fair to say they have to 'hit a homerun on their 1st broadcast'. It appears that you have already decided you don't like them and they haven't even been selected yet!

Regardless, I guess some people just don't like change.

Old
08-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Jackman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfaub View Post
I don't know where I trashed the new guys in my post.

I did question Cogeco's decision making in it but not the new guys.

I did state that I was looking forward to hearing a familiar broadcast and did state that I would have to see how the new guys do.

I did not however question or trash them or their abilities.

I support a broadcast that I was familiar with and enjoyed watching and the reasoning behind those making the decisions for the one they made.

No doubt the new guys cannot be judged without ever calling a game and I haven't done that at this point. The idea of someone questioning their credentials, which should support or bring into question their perceived ability to do the job makes sense.

If they hired any Joe off the street who has no credentials in this area to call the games would you be expecting much or questioning the decision?

i would hope so. I have no doubt that if it were myself or anyone else from this board who was hired you question it so a couple of guys with no OHL broadcast experience suddenly coming up to call the games is not something people should question?
Well in your post you were asking to start some sort of campaign to have people call in to Cogeco and the Spits organization to demand that this decision be reversed. So, in my opinion, you were trashing these new guys. Just my interpretation of your post.

Secondly, the claim that they need OHL broadcast experience is interesting. So, these guys aren't worthy because they haven't broadcast an OHL game before but yet how do you get that experience if the criteria for getting the job is to broadcast OHL games?

Anyways, this really isn't worth discussing further. The old crew, in my opinion, needed to be replaced and I'm willing to give the new crew a chance.

Old
08-02-2012, 03:11 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Well, I don't think it's fair to say they have to 'hit a homerun on their 1st broadcast'. It appears that you have already decided you don't like them and they haven't even been selected yet!

The question that comes to my mind is this. It seems that the Spit games are going to be broadcast in HD ...BUT...will they still be available on channel 11 for those who don't pay the extra $10 for HD. If anyone has checked this I'd love to hear about it because it's the typical scam that Rogers(who own Cogeco) pulls to get people to spend more $$$ for specialty channels. As I'm a STH it won't bother me much personally.

Old
08-02-2012, 03:18 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:

Oh they have been selected just
not announced

Old
08-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Nyax

Tell me the new guy isn't the guy who used to work on the Knights telecasts? He seems to be fairly knowledgeable about the league but his play by play skills leave a lot to be desired. He did play by play for a few Knights games last year and was pretty lame. Bring back Wild Bill.

Old
08-02-2012, 03:58 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyax View Post
Tell me the new guy isn't the guy who used to work on the Knights telecasts? He seems to be fairly knowledgeable about the league but his play by play skills leave a lot to be desired. He did play by play for a few Knights games last year and was pretty lame. Bring back Wild Bill.
If he did a few games as u say and his name is Chris McLeod thats the one

Old
08-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Nyax

Quote:
If he did a few games as u say and his name is Chris McLeod thats the one

Old
08-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Padstacker

Years ago I used to volunteer myself with Trillium & Shaw doing hockey, football etc etc. Dom has always been involved. Let's face it for years he has been the face of Cogeco. But he as well as Kelso, and Trenholm, are volunteers. They get an honorarium(sp?) for what they do, not a salary. The current trio has been pretty good over the years, but all things come to and end. Who's to say what caused it, but obviously there has been a rift between them. I have little doubt one or all of them read this board, and will no doubt try to drum up whatever support they can, but it's over.

No one likes Change, but it's happening whether anyone likes it or not. I'll await the this season just as I have previous seasons, when I'm unable to make a game, I will be kicked back and be greatful I can watch it on TV.

Old
08-02-2012, 07:57 PM
ForestGlade
Paja Tipo Sombrero

This is going to be trainwreck city, mark my words.

Sure the Spits said in the paper they had nothing to do with the change, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they had a crappy broadcast team installed so people would rather tune it out and go see them in person, with the attendance having dropped off and all

Thank goodness for season tickets

Old
08-02-2012, 08:28 PM
cfaub

Quote:
Well in your post you were asking to start some sort of campaign to have people call in to Cogeco and the Spits organization to demand that this decision be reversed. So, in my opinion, you were trashing these new guys. Just my interpretation of your post.

Secondly, the claim that they need OHL broadcast experience is interesting. So, these guys aren't worthy because they haven't broadcast an OHL game before but yet how do you get that experience if the criteria for getting the job is to broadcast OHL games?

Anyways, this really isn't worth discussing further. The old crew, in my opinion, needed to be replaced and I'm willing to give the new crew a chance.
Read something about Cogeco and Spits phone lines receiving lots of calls/complaints, my phone comment was based on that, I would say you completely misinterpreted what I said.

As for the quality of the new guys, as I said, never made a comment about them although some experience would certainly help their case.

A number of other posters have since given a pretty negative opinion on the abilityies of at least one of the new guys... your response to those who actually made a negative remark?

Don't like what I said, no problem as you said, it's not really worth that much discussion but misrepresenting what someone said, not a very good interpretation but whatever.

No problem moving along.

Old
08-03-2012, 11:22 AM
scokan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestGlade View Post
This is going to be trainwreck city, mark my words.

Sure the Spits said in the paper they had nothing to do with the change, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they had a crappy broadcast team installed so people would rather tune it out and go see them in person, with the attendance having dropped off and all

Thank goodness for season tickets
I was thinking something along the same lines FG. But with all these new upgrades with Cogeco (HD) and hearing from others that we probably have one of the best OHL game telecasts in the league, if they were worried about people just staying home to watch games in HD, why couldnt they just say something like X number of tickets has to be sold for the game to be shown live, if its not met than its taped delayed till 11pm or so. I know that opens another can of worms because of the action pak, but im sure something could be worked out locally to have the game blacked out where action pak subscriptions could still see the game. The changing of identity on cogeco doesnt really effect me since I have season tickets, I couldnt really care who does the games.

Closed Thread