HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Libbs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman View Post

Regardless, I guess some people just don't like change.
Some people don't like unnecessary change.

Old
08-03-2012, 01:44 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Exactly
Especially when your supposed broadcast partners the Spits and the OHL had no desire to change the crew but are bound by contract
Nice way to maintain a relationship in a contract renewal year

Old
08-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Jackman

Quote:
Uhh, what? Obviously someone with the authority to make the change felt it necessary. Just because some people on this board have an issue with the change doesn't mean it was just some random thing. There could be a lot of reasons for the change that really have no reason to be discussed in public.

Who knows, maybe this will open up a whole new world of opportunities for Papa, Kelso and Trenholm. Since they are such an excellent broadcast team maybe they can transition to doing the national CHL broadcasts for Sportsnet on Friday nights! Or even NHL broadcasts on TSN or CBC! The sky's the limit for these guys!

Old
08-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Jackman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Exactly
Especially when your supposed broadcast partners the Spits and the OHL had no desire to change the crew but are bound by contract
Nice way to maintain a relationship in a contract renewal year
Contract renewal year? Those must be tough negotiations. Who the heck would Cogeco be competing against for the broadcast rights of the Spitfire games?

Old
08-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Padstacker

Quote:
Since they are such an excellent broadcast team maybe they can transition to doing the national CHL broadcasts for Sportsnet on Friday nights! Or even NHL broadcasts on TSN or CBC! The sky's the limit for these guys!
I realize there might be a touch of sarcasm here, but I suspect that the description of the play just past is only described by "Wow or OH MY" or a combination of the two, may not translate well to the "Big Leagues"

On that note, as I said earlier these three guys were volunteers. There comes a time when change must happen. Regardless of whatever reasons Cogeco had(and I suspect there were some good ones) the change has been made. You don't have to like it, but you do have to accept it. Cogeco is a madated program by the government to allow community access, therefore changes are made from time to time. Hell this was Bill's second kick at the can. He left originally back 10 odd years ago(feel free to correct the timeline on this, the memory ain't as good as it used to be.) But if memory serves, he didn't leave on his own terms the last time. Who's to say a couple years from now, one or all of em ain't back in some capacity.

In short we've got a new team calling the game for the forseeable future. I'm sure in time, they'll disappear and yet again, new faces(or maybe some old ones) will reappear. I just don't see what all of the fuss is about, I know who the players are on the ice, I suspect most people on this board do as well, it doesn't matter who calls the game.

Old
08-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padstacker View Post
I realize there might be a touch of sarcasm here, but I suspect that the description of the play just past is only described by "Wow or OH MY" or a combination of the two, may not translate well to the "Big Leagues"

On that note, as I said earlier these three guys were volunteers. There comes a time when change must happen. Regardless of whatever reasons Cogeco had(and I suspect there were some good ones) the change has been made. You don't have to like it, but you do have to accept it. Cogeco is a madated program by the government to allow community access, therefore changes are made from time to time. Hell this was Bill's second kick at the can. He left originally back 10 odd years ago(feel free to correct the timeline on this, the memory ain't as good as it used to be.) But if memory serves, he didn't leave on his own terms the last time. Who's to say a couple years from now, one or all of em ain't back in some capacity.

In short we've got a new team calling the game for the forseeable future. I'm sure in time, they'll disappear and yet again, new faces(or maybe some old ones) will reappear. I just don't see what all of the fuss is about, I know who the players are on the ice, I suspect most people on this board do as well, it doesn't matter who calls the game.
You mentioned that years ago you volunteered for Cogeco - do you still work for them or have any connection to them? I guess I just don't get joining a message board to defend a television station's decision to fire long standing volunteers/employees and try to sell the fact that "Hey change happens, give these new guys a chance - nobody cares who is really in the booth anyways".

Old
08-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Padstacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
You mentioned that years ago you volunteered for Cogeco - do you still work for them or have any connection to them? ".
Sadly no. I do miss it, but the days of my youth are long past. I've trolled through here for the past year, but usually anything I've had to say, has been said by someone else, so I figured why bother?. I figured I could offer my two cents on this one as I do have a different perspective(sp?) on the whole thing.

Of course now that I've finally joined in, I'll throw my two cents in on a regular basis. Especially when the season actually starts.

*Edit*I should really read the full post more often. I wouldn't say I was defending the station. As I also mentioned earlier, I did like the telecast. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Bill, Dom, or Brian. The three were very knowledgable about the game, and it showed. But when it comes down to it, even with HNIC, it doesn't matter to me who's calling the game, I can see what's going on, who has the puck etc. Maybe if the announcers were absolutely horrific, I might think differently, but atm it doesn't matter to me.

Last edited by Padstacker: 08-03-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old
08-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Uhh, what? Obviously someone with the authority to make the change felt it necessary. Just because some people on this board have an issue with the change doesn't mean it was just some random thing. There could be a lot of reasons for the change that really have no reason to be discussed in public.

Who knows, maybe this will open up a whole new world of opportunities for Papa, Kelso and Trenholm. Since they are such an excellent broadcast team maybe they can transition to doing the national CHL broadcasts for Sportsnet on Friday nights! Or even NHL broadcasts on TSN or CBC! The sky's the limit for these guys!
Sorry...but you don't know what I know. All I say is that it was a change that didn't need to be made.

And your sarcastic part isn't necessary... it's rather childish.

Old
08-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Padstacker

Quote:
Sorry...but you don't know what I know. All I say is that it was a change that didn't need to be made.
I think everyone here would love to know. You hold the power to change minds.

Old
08-03-2012, 08:07 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Contract renewal year? Those must be tough negotiations. Who the heck would Cogeco be competing against for the broadcast rights of the Spitfire games?
Actually there is somebody is out who can compete but I wont name them
And they are perfectly willing to let the Spits have control over broadcast talent
Had that been the case for this upcoming season no changes would have been made
Agreements are made between the League and Cogeco and Rogers and thus filters down to the individual regarding sponsorship arrangements
I am now hearing that teams will or may be allowed to opt out should they come to agreement re talent and or adv sponsorship
In my mind Cogeco may win the battle but lose the war as result of what happened this year
With the mem cup hosting possibly in windsor for 2014 losing a deal over talent would be dumb especially considering the majority of partners dont want change
My prediction is that the new guys will be one and done

Old
08-03-2012, 08:12 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:

I think if u looked at the Star comments,the noof and on here the majority of posters are against this change
Yes there are detractors but they are in the minority,dont expect that to change either
FYI
At next weeks ball game media vs Spitfires all three Papa,Trenholm and Kelso are invited,Cogeco is not interesting

Old
08-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Libbs

Quote:
I think everyone here would love to know. You hold the power to change minds.
Sorry, but I'm not saying what I know.

Old
08-03-2012, 08:57 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I think if u looked at the Star comments,the noof and on here the majority of posters are against this change
Yes there are detractors but they are in the minority,dont expect that to change either
FYI
At next weeks ball game media vs Spitfires all three Papa,Trenholm and Kelso are invited,Cogeco is not interesting
Sorry
Last line should Cogeco is not,intersting as they have been every year

Old
08-03-2012, 09:57 PM
hockeyboy4

this early in the summer does anyone wana guess what the roster is looking like for the year? id love to see what everyone thinks!

Old
08-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyboy4 View Post
this early in the summer does anyone wana guess what the roster is looking like for the year? id love to see what everyone thinks!
Sorry but its way too early for me to even poke a guess. The trade freeze just lifted so Rychel can still make some moves before camp.

Old
08-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Sec108

Quote:

I hear there is an opening at Local4 for 3 new janitorial positions cleaning Bernie's dressing room......

Old
08-04-2012, 01:32 AM
OHLTG

My guess is Vail, Rychel, Ho-Sang, Bilcke, and Johnson make the club. Beyond that...............

Old
08-04-2012, 06:02 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
I hear there is an opening at Local4 for 3 new janitorial positions cleaning Bernie's dressing room......
Perhaps the 2 newcomers from out of town can start there as TV Cogeco flushes their TV broadcast down the toilet before the Windsor fans/viewers very eyes

Old
08-04-2012, 06:05 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Sorry but its way too early for me to even poke a guess. The trade freeze just lifted so Rychel can still make some moves before camp.
Taking a break from TV wars

I would agree,though I am told

there few openings available

Most improved spits this summer

from what I hear is Hunter Smith
and Sam Studnicka,with Studnicka the most improved of the 2

Old
08-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Libbs

Watched the Ax-Fit videos and I see Ebert is in town working out with everyone else. He looked to be in good shape in the video. Maybe he took his off-season seriously this year? Only time will tell.

Old
08-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Ottomatic

What's the story on Billings? I don't believe we ever signed him. Is he not coming over? Still keeping his college route option open and will come to camp in the fall for the 24 hours or whatever to gauge things first?

I don't see any trades happening before we get to see what we got in camp which are only three weeks away. Boughner and Co will want to see who put in the work in the off-season and reward the off-season work by letting everybody battle for the open spots. Spits demand a lot from the boys in the off-season, I think it's only fair that if they buy in and put in the hard work that they have a real chance to make the team and not traded away in the off-season.

The player I'm most interested in is Jordan Maletta. He stayed in Windsor for the summer and was already filling out noticeably the second half of last season as a 16 yr old and getting a lot more comfortable on the ice. If he could stay healthy he could be a force on the ice starting this season for us.

Old
08-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Kevin Malone

Wow, bit of a mixed blessing on the broadcast change. The only one I am truly sad to see go is Kelso. I loved that way he got in to games in letting his emotions pull you into the broadcast. Dom is a great Windsor/Essex guy and is great in the community but was always lacking as a color guy to me. IMO the color guy should always be an ex player/coach to bring another point of view to the broadcast. And then there is Trenholm... What can I say other than that Trenholm is probably the most awkward person on television.

I am neutral on this one and will give the new broadcast team a chance. It's just my experience but people here in Windsor are always resistant to change no matter how much it may be needed. They are also more resistant when it comes from outside Windsor/Essex County.

Old
08-04-2012, 06:17 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:

Actually it was Kelso"s third kick at the can, and it was 7 years ago that he left in protest along with Kara Ro when Papa got let go by Riolo just prior to the playoffs
Who can forget their replacements which included Alan Halberstadt,they were put in place by Riolo,no doubt the worst broadcast in team history
At that time Cogeco had to abide by the contract,and said they would never give up final talent say again
Fast forward to the present, and Cogeco is doing exactly the same thing to the Spits,taking advantage of the contract clause of final talent say, thus the Spits and the league both of whom had no desire to change the telecast crew are being held hostage by TV Cogeco
The spits and the league were not consulted by TV cogeco their supposed broadcast about changes,they were just implemented and then the spits were told
Sort of underhanded would not u say
Finally Kelso started in his 1st time with Cogeco then called Trillium doing the spits in 1986
He stayed for 7 years before being let go on the insistence of then Spits mge
He returned 11 years later when brought back by Dom Papa,ironically the same guy who had to tell him he was done the 1st time around
Things have a way to around dont they

Old
08-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Sec108

The problem with us here in windsor is that were so used to mediocrity that we fail to see that the product on the stations are terrible, we only see familiarity.Even our local news on CBC9 and CHWI CTV2 are horrible next to what we view from our Detroit stations.With that said , most of the OHL broadcasts are low budget wrecks, that are barely passable.Even Rogers announcers slaughter alot of players names on the opposing teams, you would think they would ask before a telecast the pronunciations.Some were calling Koko Cocklachev last season.

I hear kelso bowed out because of loyalty to Papa.Either way the change isnt going to bring more viewers to Cable11 or more advertisers in the end.If Cogeco thinks that theyre crazy.

Getting back to the spits, Im glad to read that Ebert has taken his off season training seriously next to being out of shape at the start of last season.I can see him being the first to go trade wise if he doesnt pick up his game in the early months of the season.

Old
08-04-2012, 08:58 PM
hockeylegend11

Good pt about Ebert,seems more committed
Perhaps going last in the draft will motivate him
Hope so

Closed Thread