HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2012, 10:21 PM
hockeylegend11

vCash: 500
Oh the dog days of summer and we are mostly consumed about tv changes so I will try to make this my final post about this topic,at least until the season starts or if somebody is misinformed
Cogeco TV has not announced its crew on air wise I will do that for them
Here they are;
Chris Mcleod- play-by-play,5-7 games ohl experience
Todd Warriner- analyst- 0 games tv experience period let alone the OHL
Angelo Aversa- between period host- 0 game OHL experience
only Windsor native on the cast
I understand they may do 1 exhibition game prior to reg season
Cant wait to hear this group

Old
08-05-2012, 12:52 AM
Spitsfan67*

Ok everybody can we change the subject, You've been goin on for days about Dom and Bill...but there gone nothing you can do...training camp opens in 2 weeks. Who does every bodythink will be the most improved and do you think there's any trades in the making before the season starts?

Old
08-05-2012, 02:31 AM
hockeyboy4

i think hunter smith will be improved, i think he will have a impact this year, hes a big guy and skates well for his size unlike czinder.. he can hit and fight and score goals and set up plays so he will be a great 4th or 3rd liner i also think. jordan maletta started to look real good and conferable near the end of the season and will bloom next year. i also think clarke will be more consistent and kerby will be a great player this year better then lastyear. i really would like to see pavelka get traded and put jordan dekort in for most games and get a solid backup not a import and trade for another solid import player. im so exicted to see ho-sang play, hopefully he performs as expected. also exicted to see pat seiloff play, seems like a great shut-down defender not afraid to hit and drop the gloves, thats what i like! i dont know what to expect from the russian yet i guess we will see at the start of the season! go spits!

Old
08-05-2012, 03:19 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Ok everybody can we change the subject, You've been goin on for days about Dom and Bill...but there gone nothing you can do...training camp opens in 2 weeks. Who does every bodythink will be the most improved and do you think there's any trades in the making before the season starts?
Well, here's how I look at it:

Dom and Bill have been involved with the team for a decade (I still remember them calling the Lloyd and Janssen fights in a game against Kingston), so, yeah, when something this big happens, it's probably going to generate some discussion. I mean, sure, we could talk about "what might happen if...", but we've had since April to do that. This is an actual event, so it's the topic. If something else comes up, the topic will change to that. Right now, though, I'm not really in a "let's start talking rosters" frame-of-mind. Too early to guess at best this or most that.

Old
08-05-2012, 05:18 AM
Keystone Light

Another quick google search turned up the following on Angelo:

http://www.am800cklw.com/page.php?id=122

Looks like the cat is out of the bag...or maybe it was never really in the bag.

Again, here is the McLeod bio:

http://943cksy.com/bios/chris-mcleod-bio/

Hey, change could be good. Best of luck to the new guys. Again, very sad to see Kelso go, and to see Trenholm lose out on an opportunity. Can't feel sorry for Dom though. He's had 25 years to prove himself a competent broadcaster. Unfortunately he's done nothing to improve or refine his delivery. I wish them well.

That being said, I too am looking forward to having something to discuss/read about other than local cable programming!

Go Spits!

Old
08-05-2012, 09:06 AM
ForestGlade
Paja Tipo Sombrero

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone Light View Post
Another quick google search turned up the following on Angelo:

http://www.am800cklw.com/page.php?id=122

Looks like the cat is out of the bag...or maybe it was never really in the bag.
That says nothing. By hosting a pregame show they mean the one that's played on the scoreboard that nobody can hear properly

Old
08-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyboy4 View Post
i think hunter smith will be improved, i think he will have a impact this year, hes a big guy and skates well for his size unlike czinder.. he can hit and fight and score goals and set up plays so he will be a great 4th or 3rd liner i also think. jordan maletta started to look real good and conferable near the end of the season and will bloom next year. i also think clarke will be more consistent and kerby will be a great player this year better then lastyear. i really would like to see pavelka get traded and put jordan dekort in for most games and get a solid backup not a import and trade for another solid import player. im so exicted to see ho-sang play, hopefully he performs as expected. also exicted to see pat seiloff play, seems like a great shut-down defender not afraid to hit and drop the gloves, thats what i like! i dont know what to expect from the russian yet i guess we will see at the start of the season! go spits!
Yea I hope Smith develops good if he can have skill in this league along with his size he can be an impact power forward..agree compleatly about meleta started the season looking Like a rookie getting his feet wet in the league, if he can stay healthy I think will see a dramatic difference in him....Clark will have a breakout season in a bigger role...and Ho Sang, I still don't no how he slipped to 5th with the skill this kid has should be fun to watch him and Kerby playing along side each other.

Old
08-05-2012, 11:08 AM
spitz fan 4ever

Feel bad for Dom Pappa, but what are you going to do......I thought the thing that Dom was good at was INterviews, and thought maybe they could of kept him in that capacity. With that said, i wonder if he still does his sports interview show. Anyways back to spits, heard that chris marchese was in a minor accident and tweaked his knee, wondering if any1 knew if this was going to affect him for the start of the year.

Old
08-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Keystone Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestGlade View Post
That says nothing. By hosting a pregame show they mean the one that's played on the scoreboard that nobody can hear properly
Thanks Chief. You've proven that I remain an amateur sleuth. Was just trying to share what I found.

Old
08-05-2012, 12:55 PM
hockeyboy4

what does everyone think our goalies will look like at the start of the season? think pavelka will be traded?

Old
08-05-2012, 12:55 PM
4 Bobby ORR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Actually it was Kelso"s third kick at the can, and it was 7 years ago that he left in protest along with Kara Ro when Papa got let go by Riolo just prior to the playoffs
I remember her around the barn and was always engaging with the kids. It's funny how Kara's name pops up on the forum and guess who is now with TSN covering the women's boxing for the 2012 London earlier today. Yes it was Kara- good luck and much success to her.

Old
08-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Bobby ORR View Post
I remember her around the barn and was always engaging with the kids. It's funny how Kara's name pops up on the forum and guess who is now with TSN covering the women's boxing for the 2012 London earlier today. Yes it was Kara- good luck and much success to her.
Kara was simply a fantastic person. Glad to see she's still around.

Old
08-05-2012, 01:12 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Kara was simply a fantastic person. Glad to see she's still around.
Yes and its too bad when she gets back from Toronto she will be unemployed as she got let go by Blackburn Radio ironically announced on the same day as the Cogeco"s crew got the ziggy

Old
08-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Keystone Light

Agreed, I thought she was good when she got her shot years ago. Enthusiastic. Really improved after someone gave her a chance. Glad to hear she's had success, hope she lands on her feet.

Hopefully the new Spits team will take advantage of their opportunity.

Old
08-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Padstacker

I think it's too early yet to comment on the Spitfires for the next season. We've all seen Rhychel pull the trigger on a number of occaissions, sometimes much to everyones surprise.

The biggest hole that I see this year is the same hole that has pretty well existed from day 1 of the WIndsor Spitfires, Goaltending. We've never really had that omg goalie. We've had decent goalies who could get it done, but not without the team aiding. Pavelka(sp?) is a decent goalie at times, but he is way to inconsistent for my liking. Amazing one night, can't stop an oversized beachball the next. At times that's from one period to another. I don't know about the backup/starter replacement. Maybe someone can clue me in as to what's up in this department.

Old
08-05-2012, 06:50 PM
hockeyboy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padstacker View Post
I think it's too early yet to comment on the Spitfires for the next season. We've all seen Rhychel pull the trigger on a number of occaissions, sometimes much to everyones surprise.

The biggest hole that I see this year is the same hole that has pretty well existed from day 1 of the WIndsor Spitfires, Goaltending. We've never really had that omg goalie. We've had decent goalies who could get it done, but not without the team aiding. Pavelka(sp?) is a decent goalie at times, but he is way to inconsistent for my liking. Amazing one night, can't stop an oversized beachball the next. At times that's from one period to another. I don't know about the backup/starter replacement. Maybe someone can clue me in as to what's up in this department.
well hopefully next jear dekort will get some games then come 2013 2014 we will have a solid goalie

Old
08-05-2012, 07:09 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Agreed, I thought she was good when she got her shot years ago. Enthusiastic. Really improved after someone gave her a chance. Glad to hear she's had success, hope she lands on her feet.

Hopefully the new Spits team will take advantage of their opportunity.
Keystone

Do you know who helped get her at Cogeco and then AM800
Answer- Dominic Papa
and it was he who coached her along,helping her with questions to be asked,prepping tips and pacing of interview
There have been others such as Bob Bellachicco,Angelo Aversa,James Murray,Brian Trenholm he has helped along the way
The new guys will not have a safety net or someone to coach
TV Cogeco for the most part does not have the capabilities in that area

Old
08-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Ottomatic

^^Angelo Aversa has a helluva way of showing gratitude...

Old
08-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
^^Angelo Aversa has a helluva way of showing gratitude...
I don't think he had anything to do with the firings.

Old
08-05-2012, 08:29 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
I don't think he had anything to do with the firings.
Very true,I dont begrudge people from chasing their dreams just dont forget those who helped u get there

Old
08-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Keystone Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Keystone

Do you know who helped get her at Cogeco and then AM800
Answer- Dominic Papa
and it was he who coached her along,helping her with questions to be asked,prepping tips and pacing of interview
There have been others such as Bob Bellachicco,Angelo Aversa,James Murray,Brian Trenholm he has helped along the way
The new guys will not have a safety net or someone to coach
TV Cogeco for the most part does not have the capabilities in that area
I think that is great. I have no doubt that Dom tried to help people where he could. I have absolutely nothing against him, and I've already wished him well on this board. I even said that I hope the Spits will step up and give him a position behind the scenes.

My criticism is of his delivery/ability as a color commentator. If even the most ardent Dom supporter was willing to be objective, with respect specifically to his delivery, I think even they would agree that he's pretty rough, and has improved minimally over the years. To this end, there is almost nothing he could offer as a mentor, in my opinion. Please, don't misread what I'm saying. Interview prep, contacts, pregame organization...perhaps he had a lot to offer, there is no way for me to know. HockeyLegend, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you. You are one of the best, of not the best, contributors to this board. I just have a hard time believing that a reasonable person can listen to Dom and think "I need to pick that guys brain in order to get better at this job". Sorry, I'll never buy that.

Agree to disagree?

Old
08-06-2012, 08:30 AM
izzys

I stop lookingat the bored and posting for a lil while not and i come ad check up on it and its still he ame s***

we all get it DOM and BILL were great ppl and everyone will miss them but come on guys lets move on

Hockey season is about to get started here, boys have been on the ice for acouple of weeks not ( well some ) and were starting to make our push into the biggest season for warren and crew trying to get the mem cup

all speculation is out there about pav getting trade and us making the push for the russian forward from SSM

also u have to look at our roster we have too many forwards and maybe we can trade a defence as well ...

so i ask who would you like to see be trade?

Old
08-06-2012, 08:45 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I think that is great. I have no doubt that Dom tried to help people where he could. I have absolutely nothing against him, and I've already wished him well on this board. I even said that I hope the Spits will step up and give him a position behind the scenes.

My criticism is of his delivery/ability as a color commentator. If even the most ardent Dom supporter was willing to be objective, with respect specifically to his delivery, I think even they would agree that he's pretty rough, and has improved minimally over the years. To this end, there is almost nothing he could offer as a mentor, in my opinion. Please, don't misread what I'm saying. Interview prep, contacts, pregame organization...perhaps he had a lot to offer, there is no way for me to know. HockeyLegend, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you. You are one of the best, of not the best, contributors to this board. I just have a hard time believing that a reasonable person can listen to Dom and think "I need to pick that guys brain in order to get better at this job". Sorry, I'll never buy that.

Agree to disagree?
Keystone Light

First of all thanks for the kind words and I as well not trying to pick a fight,but more or less trying to educate without trying to sound pompous or arrogant
While I dont disagree with much of your assessment re Dom I think the overall contribution to a broadcast should not be overlooked
I sort of compare it to where sometimes the best players dont make the best coaches,but the grinders who work the extra hardest and dont have many of the natural abilities are more successful because they can relate in what it takes to get there
This probably applies to Dom,nobody works harder at his craft,his contacts amongst the best in the league,his pregame prep and attention to detail is outstanding,his ability to pull a broadcast together is known to those who work with him
As for his on air work while it does ingratiate many the overall chemistry with the others on broadcast in my view trumps it in most cases
He is not the best in the business but neither are the others however they are better then most in the OHl
It is this reason that I come to the defence of Dom and the others
Only TV Cogeco wanted to make a change not the Spits,not the OHl and not the majority of the Windsor fanbase/viewers
Cogeco TV went about this in a back door way,instead of consultation with its broacast partners the Spits and the OHL they just did it and then told them
Unlike 10-20 years ago when broadcasts were truly local cable,today games are carried province wide via the OHL action or the internet by the Leagues' partners for distrubution
Now people pay for this so to me it is absolutely neccessary for the broadcast to be the best quality picture and sound wise
Broadcasters with no experience or very little to speak of meaning less then 5-10 games should not be in prominent roles,especially if they are going to replace an established group dropped under suspious reasons
Detractors I think come mid Sept will be disappointed while the rest of the viewing audience will be even more disappointed
At the end of the day it will be proven that an injustice was done to 3 individuals who live and work here,unneccessary change and 2 people out of 3 not from Windsor with little or no connection to the community grace the airwaves
My 40 plus years in the entertainment/broadcast business gives me some insight into this

Old
08-06-2012, 08:49 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzys View Post
I stop lookingat the bored and posting for a lil while not and i come ad check up on it and its still he ame s***

we all get it DOM and BILL were great ppl and everyone will miss them but come on guys lets move on

Hockey season is about to get started here, boys have been on the ice for acouple of weeks not ( well some ) and were starting to make our push into the biggest season for warren and crew trying to get the mem cup

all speculation is out there about pav getting trade and us making the push for the russian forward from SSM

also u have to look at our roster we have too many forwards and maybe we can trade a defence as well ...

so i ask who would you like to see be trade?
Still 3 weeks plus to camp and 6 weeks to the start of the season and as it gets closer there will be plenty of chatter
Things right now pretty quiet so this week I am going to try and find out something new

Old
08-06-2012, 08:50 AM
izzys

Kevin Bailie who could have been a good goalie for windsor this year goes to london for a 4th round pick in 2013

another great trade by the hunters

Closed Thread