HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ryan and Moore on TV Yesterday

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Kovy274Hart

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Ryan and Moore on TV Yesterday

Anyone watch any of this on FSNY. Maine destroyed Quinnipiac 6-0.

I only caught a little but from what I saw, both Ryan and Moore played well and had good scoring chances. Ryan plays gritty for his smallish size and hit a post on a backhand. Moore got some great chances but was robbed. He has a good shot.

Old
01-10-2005, 07:45 PM
Levitate

i watched the first 2 periods

ryan didn't seem to get a lot of icetime the first half of the game, but got some more later...i liked what i saw out of him in terms of skill and he seems to always keep moving. he's got some nice skill and just needs to bulk up a little (he looks like the kind of guy who will probably play at like 6' 190-200 lbs...not big but not really small) as well as gain some experience and confidence. I'm willing to bet he really breaks out offensively next year when he has more experience, more confidence, and is a bigger part of the team

what i liked about moore is that he looked like the kind of player that is useful to the team even when he's not scoring (he did get a secondary assist though). he goes to the net and stands in front, can carry the puck and start the offense, and is big enough and gritty enough...looks like a nice third liner

Old
01-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Fish

As Levitate knows, I've posted my opinion on both players over at Hockeybird...but hey why not share my all seeing wisdom with you lot (that's sarcasm for those who can't see it through the text of the internet).

Personally I think Ryan might be the best offensive player the Rangers have in the NCAA at the moment, and perhaps one of their best offensive prospects in the system. He's got that hockey sense that people talk about and he always seems to get a shot off, even against much bigger guys. He's still very slight build and of course still lacks in the strength department as an 18 year old, but I do recall seeing him trying to lay a hit on I think it was Stafford and just bouncing off...he did manage to stop Stafford though (or whomever it was on North Dakota).

Moore is more of your two way type forward. He has a pretty weak shot for a bigger guy, but he skates well and is strong defensively. I've used Rem Murray in the past to describe his type of play, and I think that's a fairly good summation of what he might bring to the table.

He also played for the US last year in the World Juniors where they got the gold medal, but he was pretty much a third liner for them.

Old
01-10-2005, 11:12 PM
Barnaby

Yea, to me Ryan SOUNDS (sounds because I've only seen the one) like the type of guy who might be like a Ken Roche. By that I mean he may turn out to be a 2nd line centerman if everything works. If you get a few of these guys, then maybe one will pan out.

Old
01-10-2005, 11:48 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
A few like Immonen, Roche, Ryan, Graham . . .

Not that I'm complaining, but the Rangers sure have a lot of potential 2nd-line talent.

Old
01-11-2005, 07:28 AM
Fish

I'd put Ryan over Roche easily in terms of offensive potential, the other two I've only seen on webcasts/web video so there's not much to go on. Roche is more physical in his play, but not as quick with the puck...Ryan tends to like to set up for a shot and is patient with the puck, while Roche pretty much fires it at the net most opportunities he's given.

Old
01-11-2005, 11:35 AM
AG9NK35DT8*

I think its good to remember that alot ofthese young yuys playing in the NHL are 2nd 3rd and later on draft picks.Yeah 1strounders obviousley, but it seems that2nd,3rd , 4th rounders always wind up being solid NHL players.

Old
01-11-2005, 01:13 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
I'd put Ryan over Roche easily in terms of offensive potential, the other two I've only seen on webcasts/web video so there's not much to go on. Roche is more physical in his play, but not as quick with the puck...Ryan tends to like to set up for a shot and is patient with the puck, while Roche pretty much fires it at the net most opportunities he's given.
I've caught quite a few BU games this season and would have to agree. I have seen little to be excited about in Roche. He just looks too slow. Ryan is going through the transition period of learning to play against bigger, stronger and defensively better competition in the college game. Still, he has great instincts and has looked pretty nifty at times. Next year will say a lot about Ryan.

Old
01-11-2005, 03:40 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

I didn't see enough to form a solid opinion on Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
As Levitate knows, I've posted my opinion on both players over at Hockeybird...but hey why not share my all seeing wisdom with you lot (that's sarcasm for those who can't see it through the text of the internet).

Personally I think Ryan might be the best offensive player the Rangers have in the NCAA at the moment, and perhaps one of their best offensive prospects in the system. He's got that hockey sense that people talk about and he always seems to get a shot off, even against much bigger guys. He's still very slight build and of course still lacks in the strength department as an 18 year old, but I do recall seeing him trying to lay a hit on I think it was Stafford and just bouncing off...he did manage to stop Stafford though (or whomever it was on North Dakota).

Moore is more of your two way type forward. He has a pretty weak shot for a bigger guy, but he skates well and is strong defensively. I've used Rem Murray in the past to describe his type of play, and I think that's a fairly good summation of what he might bring to the table.

He also played for the US last year in the World Juniors where they got the gold medal, but he was pretty much a third liner for them.

I am less concerned about his slight build. He went to the net, was fiesty. He was what 2 days short of not being eligible for the draft because of his birthday. He reminds me a little of Marc Savard. He is one of the few prospect that I am really excited to see play and was disappointed that he was not used as much as I would have liked. Him, Callahan, Dawes, Helminen, Potter, Liffiton & Taylor are guys I really like.

Old
01-11-2005, 04:07 PM
Fish

I'm not concerned about his slight build, was trying to give a complete picture and explain why his statistics might not support my positive view of him. I think he's a legitimate prospect, and I can see why Bob Crocker and Ray Clearwater liked him...

Closed Thread