HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Rivets rusting..

Old
07-19-2012, 02:34 PM
TUCKER 06

vCash: 500
Rivets rusting..

Disclaimer: I've done a forum search for this and didn't find anything , so if you know of a previous thread, please provide a link.

I need some pro-tips on how to keep the rivets for the holder rust free. I got Bauer Vapor X:Velocity skates in December and take exceptional care of them before and after a game. Some people (Fiance) would claim I'm borderline OCD about it - after a game I take out the footbeds, wipe the blades, holders, and boots down and then slip them into those soft skate guards until I get home. When I get home I take off the soft skate guards wipe down the blade and holders one more time and then hang the skates to dry and I air out the footbeds.

I noticed a couple months ago that one of the rivets near the heal of my left foot bleeds a rust colour on to the outsole of the boot. And then a couple weeks ago I saw that there was 1 rivet on each skate near the toe that is rusting to the point that you can see the redness starting to bleed out on to the TUUK holder. I play about 3 times a week, but IMO a skates rivets shouldn't be breaking down already.

My first thought is to use a rust-protection spray that I use on certain suspension components for my truck. If I just use a quick squirt on each of the rivets, it seems like it would be suitable for this application. Any other suggestions?

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:51 PM
AIREAYE

It seems like you are taking care of your skates very very well. Replacing skate rivets is very cheap, my shop charges $1 per rivet to replace. It wouldn't be cost-effective imo to buy product or spend extra time preventing rusting; it happens.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Trebek
Mod Supervisor

Yep; you're already doing everything that I would have suggested to do.

Trebek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Hugh Madbrough

just get them replaced, normally 1-2$

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:58 PM
neksys

Cheap (and designed) to replace. They won't last the life of the skate, which is why they're so cheap and easy to replace.

I know a guy who gives em a periodic squirt of "moov-it" spray lubricant (think heavier duty WD-40) but personally I'd be worried about that breaking down plastics/composites - which are way costlier than a rivet.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Fanned On It

This reminds me that I have to put like 6 new rivets into my S17's... why is it that the stock Easton Stealth rivets (same as all Eastons?) rust and fall apart so easily? Hell, my first ones didn't even rust, they just fell out!

But yeah, my shop charges a dollar for them as well and it only takes a couple of minutes to do... you might as well just let them rust and replace them when they're shot.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:00 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
This reminds me that I have to put like 6 new rivets into my S17's... why is it that the stock Easton Stealth rivets (same as all Eastons?) rust and fall apart so easily? Hell, my first ones didn't even rust, they just fell out!

But yeah, my shop charges a dollar for them as well and it only takes a couple of minutes to do... you might as well just let them rust and replace them when they're shot.
Easton uses (or used) oversized rivets. Big complaint amongst my tech guys.

Old
07-21-2012, 01:04 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Easton uses (or used) oversized rivets. Big complaint amongst my tech guys.
Really? That's weird because when I was replacing the rivets on my S17's today, I noticed that the "star" part that grips the inside of the boot was much smaller than the rivets we use for replacement in our store.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 09:41 AM
AIREAYE

That's what I've heard from my veteran tech manager, perhaps he meant the regular rivets and not copper.