HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Honest question: Do you guys miss Evgeni Nabokov?

Old
07-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 500
my all time favorite Shark, even with his flaws ... so yes

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:53 PM
Janney

Oh dear god yes! Even miss that five hole of his.

Janney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:17 PM
bluefunnel
HFBoards Sponsor

He's still my favorite player, and my cat is named after him so... Yes.

bluefunnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:20 PM
BCShark

one of the most unclutch goalies of all time? no, not at all

BCShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:24 PM
Kitten Mittons

Of course I do. It's not like we replaced him with someone better ... just cheaper.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:25 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Just to be clear, about 95% of elite franchise goalies did not "have elite franchise potential".

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Spacemania
Murray says: Rawr!

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
Nabby could have won us the cup if he had a team in front of him that wasn't gutless *looks at patty*

seriously though, he's the best goalie the Sharks ever had, and will ever have for probably awhile - then again the Sharks goalie delpth is stacked so deep, who knows what'll come up

When you do things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.
Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 09:20 PM
puckstopshere

every min of every game miss nabby...

But I am super lucky.....I get to play hockey with Nabby a couple times a month during the summer in California. Nemo is a good goalie but not fun to watch. Nabbys speed and grace are much better for fans...Nemo won the cup on a team with a ton of offense and though he shined in spots, he was not why they won....Take Nabby back? in a heartbeat...this was a salary issue.. .unfortunately dePietro fiasco, and lots of goalie injuries, reduced the market $ for goalies and the Sharks needed $$. Nabbys 1-0 OT shutout vs flyers this year was vintage Nabby!
Honestly I would package Nemo with boyle/murray and get more offense, and give Greiss the job if Nabby was not coming back ...he has earned it..Shark PP and PK sucked, especially in playoffs, Havlet came in late but played well, Burns I like but he needs to step up. and we need more of the Nasty....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nabby & Me2.jpg‎ (1.01 MB, 46 views)

puckstopshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Pinkfloyd

Definitely miss Nabokov. He was entertaining to watch as a goalie and entertaining to listen to when interviewed. I see him as better than Niemi but don't believe that it is important because you can win the Cup with average goaltending. Both give up roughly the same amount of soft goals and both have their clutch/unclutch moments. Just like with most players with a long tenure, familiarity breeds contempt when it comes to fan love.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Janney

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckstopshere View Post
But I am super lucky.....I get to play hockey with Nabby a couple times a month during the summer in California. Nemo is a good goalie but not fun to watch. Nabbys speed and grace are much better for fans...Nemo won the cup on a team with a ton of offense and though he shined in spots, he was not why they won....Take Nabby back? in a heartbeat...this was a salary issue.. .unfortunately dePietro fiasco, and lots of goalie injuries, reduced the market $ for goalies and the Sharks needed $$. Nabbys 1-0 OT shutout vs flyers this year was vintage Nabby!
Honestly I would package Nemo with boyle/murray and get more offense, and give Greiss the job if Nabby was not coming back ...he has earned it..Shark PP and PK sucked, especially in playoffs, Havlet came in late but played well, Burns I like but he needs to step up. and we need more of the Nasty....
Well, next time you see him, drop a hint, like..."hey nabby, the fans still miss you..." or "everytime Niemi gives up a rebound, a Shark fan goes into cardiac arrest..."

You know, just something that will make him feel good.

Janney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:36 PM
thrillermiller89

Nope. It was time to move on. Nabby was famous for having poor games in the playoffs, then bouncing back with a great performance. That inconsistency drove me nuts. Not to mention, he never "stole" a series by himself like you see other goalies do.

thrillermiller89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:44 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Yes his rebound control is legendary, he could turn a break the other way by passing with his legs.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:54 PM
murdock1116

I miss Nabby's empty net goals!

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:21 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I think the main thing for me is I don't feel like Niemi 'fits in' for some reason. Nabby was a fan favorite, most beloved goalie in Sharks history (maybe debateable with Irbe) and was treated as such. We chanted his name almost every home game, we don't do that for Niemi.

Niemi is a decent goalie, and seems like a nice enough guy, but he's by no means ever going to be a fan favorite.
Have you ever watched Nemo up close? Dude keeps creepily muttering to himself in finnish and is overall an ice cold emotionless robot on the ice.

Kind of hard for fans to get pumped with that.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:22 PM
Squeeven

Yeah I miss Nabby but $5M was a lot to be paying him and at the time it was either him or Marleau that was going. And that next season Marleau had a career high 44 goals so I guess DW made the right decision. Nabby was the greatest goalie to ever wear the Sharks uniform so I definitely miss him. I like Niemi too though and I don't think it's right to bash him for our PK problems because Woodcroft did NOT know what he was doing with the PK. Niemi just has to improve on his rebounds and he's good.

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:30 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Nyet

MadmanSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:39 PM
fasterthanlight

I don't exactly miss him... But I did like when we had him.

fasterthanlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:00 AM
NuxFan09

With all due respect, I'm not really seeing why $5 million would have been too much to pay him. Up to the end of his tenure with the Sharks he was one of the few true workhorses in the league, capable of 70+ games, and aside from his horrid 2005/2006 season never had a GAA above 2.44 since the lockout. That's elite, IMO, and worth $5 million.

Anyway, not trying to cause an argument. I'm just scratching my head wondering how the Sharks felt he wasn't good enough. He might have let in some bad goals in the playoffs but with a career 2.29 GAA in the playoffs, those bad goals must have been few and far between. However, if it was truly between Nabokov and Marleau then I can definitely see why Marleau was the priority. Talk about another very underrated and oft-criticized Shark.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzator View Post
With all due respect, I'm not really seeing why $5 million would have been too much to pay him. Up to the end of his tenure with the Sharks he was one of the few true workhorses in the league, capable of 70+ games, and aside from his horrid 2005/2006 season never had a GAA above 2.44 since the lockout. That's elite, IMO, and worth $5 million.

Anyway, not trying to cause an argument. I'm just scratching my head wondering how the Sharks felt he wasn't good enough. He might have let in some bad goals in the playoffs but with a career 2.29 GAA in the playoffs, those bad goals must have been few and far between. However, if it was truly between Nabokov and Marleau then I can definitely see why Marleau was the priority. Talk about another very underrated and oft-criticized Shark.
It just depends on who you talk to. I feel he is good enough to win a Cup. The problem with a cap league is sometimes you have to make hard decisions like this. Nabokov is definitely worth the 5 million but the team needed to use that money towards the players up front more than goaltending. There is more importance in funding your forwards and defensemen and creating depth there than it is in having good and well-paid goaltending.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:19 AM
Franchise13

Absolutely, and it's not even just about who's better him or Nemo... He was just fun to watch.

Franchise13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:23 AM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
It just depends on who you talk to. I feel he is good enough to win a Cup. The problem with a cap league is sometimes you have to make hard decisions like this. Nabokov is definitely worth the 5 million but the team needed to use that money towards the players up front more than goaltending. There is more importance in funding your forwards and defensemen and creating depth there than it is in having good and well-paid goaltending.
Sounds reasonable.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:25 AM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Agreed, I think he could have won a cup, and I think he was better than Nemo, but I that much invested in a goalie was too much for this team. If he would have re-signed for 3 or less, I think we should have kept him (and he might have, I also got the impression Doug decided we needed a change before negotiating). Of course, I also think that would have been a good idea because I expect/hope Stalock or Sateri will take over in the near future, and having a Nabby who is getting older would have allowed for a perfect transition to the future goalie. With Niemi, not clear how we're make the transition as easily.

Plus, Nabby was the funniest guy on the team, so he was nice to have around.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:30 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckstopshere View Post
I've never been more jealous of anyone in my life ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:56 AM
sharksohnoes!
yeahokayidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperposts31 View Post
No, I dont really miss Nabby. He played pretty well his rookie year and seasons after that, but he proved to me he is not the goalie that can take us to the cup. And I hate how terrible he is down low. Always letting weak 5-hole shots in. Niemi can get us to the cup. He is a clutch goaltender making saves when we need them most. Nabby rarely did that. We need to improve our game in our own zone. Now that is terrible.
I feel the exact opposite about every single thing in this post.

sharksohnoes! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:00 AM
Spacemania
Murray says: Rawr!

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
Quote:
Definitely miss Nabokov. He was entertaining to watch as a goalie and entertaining to listen to when interviewed. I see him as better than Niemi but don't believe that it is important because you can win the Cup with average goaltending. Both give up roughly the same amount of soft goals and both have their clutch/unclutch moments. Just like with most players with a long tenure, familiarity breeds contempt when it comes to fan love.
You can, but its harder to do just that. For reference, see Quick last playoffs.

Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote