HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Honest question: Do you guys miss Evgeni Nabokov?

Old
08-02-2012, 08:01 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
I liked nabby and he waz my favorite goalie but it was time to move on. What I miss most about nabby is watching sharks game in high definition

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yada View Post
I liked nabby and he waz my favorite goalie but it was time to move on. What I miss most about nabby is watching sharks game in high definition
... huh?

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:22 AM
68 Z-28

Quote:
Originally Posted by yada View Post
Right in the meaty part

68 Z-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:53 AM
sharkbite3
blood in the water

I miss him in a nostalgic sense. His highlight reel saves gave me a crazy excited feeling that I've yet to receive from Nemo, simply because he hasn't been with San Jose for as long and hasn't worked his way into a permanent place in my heart like Nabby did. I'd honestly be stoked if he came back to retire a Shark, but with how things transpired before he left I really, really doubt it.

sharkbite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 07:37 PM
RussianShark
Cheech

Send a message via Yahoo to RussianShark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
... huh?
HIGH definition

RussianShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 08:53 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianShark View Post
HIGH definition
love that clip

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Oh, right

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 07:03 PM
croAVSfan*

Quote:
HIGH definition
What season was that ?

croAVSfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 08:36 PM
RussianShark
Cheech

Send a message via Yahoo to RussianShark
Quote:
Originally Posted by croAVSfan View Post
What season was that ?
05-06, I attended this game too.

RussianShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Korolyuk15

Quote:
HIGH definition
I would definitely want him back if those jerseys came back too...

Last edited by Korolyuk15: 08-05-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Korolyuk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korolyuk15 View Post
I'd would definitely want him back if those jerseys came back too...
Niemi would've popped a rebound out to the weak side slot for a slam dunk goal. Nabby would take it in the nads for the team. lol

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 05:51 AM
Korolyuk15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Niemi would've popped a rebound out to the weak side slot for a slam dunk goal. Nabby would take it in the nads for the team. lol

haha, and afterwards as the red light flashed he wouldn't even have gotten up and done the trademark "Damn my chest protector is just to big" awkward shrug as an explanation...

watching some more highlights really does make me a bit nostalgic, his positioning is flawless...time to watch some islanders games next year!

Korolyuk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 12:00 AM
puckstopshere

watched every minute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
You just proved you didn't watch the playoffs. Niemi was the best Sharks in that series after Thornton, stole game 1 and gave us a chance to win every night. The #1 reason we lost was coaching.
I watched them all...row 3 ..Nemo was not up to it...on his butt too much...not bad but not playoff ready...there were at least 3 other better players than nemo...havlet, vlasic, thornton, and several others in spurts...that being said, scoring sank us, not goaltending...still rather have nabby.

puckstopshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 12:03 AM
puckstopshere

trade nemo and boyle for top scorer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkzfan View Post
So true. Niemi is so much better than fans give him credit for. Our defense was a joke all year. One of the main reasons why getting Larry Robinson is so exciting for the coming season.

Nabby is missed, but only for nostalgic reasons. Neimi is our guy.
Griess played as well or better than Nemo...I think with the depth at goalie, and the Dmen we have now, trade nemo and boyle for a true goal scorer...vs salaries..

Old
08-07-2012, 12:07 AM
puckstopshere

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
I think the appeal with Niemi is more than that. In all 8? playoff series he has played in, he's "given his team a chance to win" in all of them. The only exception might be the series against LA, where he at least was able to be pulled (Nabokov wouldn't have allowed it), and where he eventually rebounded. He's also stolen a couple of games and had the odd series where he's been a major factor.

It is a relatively small sample size, but that is always how it is going to be.

Nabokov, on the other hand, has/had a mix. Early in his career, he was more like Niemi. But when you factor in the years when he was older and had a heavier workload, it looks like the opposite end of the spectrum. He was costing the team games and series, and wasn't "stealing" very much.

Skill-wise, I think Nabokov hurt the team by his need to see more action to "get comfortable" as well as his (and the two are not unrelated) insistence that players abdicate shooting lanes.
You are nuts...Nabby was saving their bacon pretty much until the end....have you bothered to pull up stats or watch? did you see the 1-0 OT shutout vs flyers this year with 50 saves? I think most of NY would say you dont know what you are talking about...

Old
08-07-2012, 12:13 AM
puckstopshere

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
Not really. Nabby is without a doubt the best goalie in Sharks history, but it was time for a change. I'm a big Niemi fan, and he is very underrated. Great down low, good positioning, above-average reflexes. Nabby is better with the glove and rebounds, but we need someone who raises his game in the playoffs, Nemo does just that.
Look it up...Nabby has lower GAA in Playoffs than regular season..
Reflexes? Nabby puts nemo to shame...Nemo is big so down low should be good, and is, though had trouble with 5 hole due to uneven drop and ends up on butt too often...Nemo is not underrated...he is fairly rated...won the cup with an amazing team that scored a lot. Bigger does not equal better, vis a vis Luongo

Old
08-07-2012, 12:15 AM
puckstopshere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The appeal of Niemi to some is that he's not Nabokov, nothing more. Some people just didn't like Nabokov for whatever reason...some legitimate and some not. But Nabokov gave the Sharks a chance to win every time he stepped on the ice in the playoffs whether people want to admit it or not.

And the criticisms laid against Nabokov ought to be laid against Niemi if the standard was one and the same. However, most people don't stick to one standard when it comes to this conversation. Niemi has done no better here than Nabokov has. That's really the bottom line.
Pretty much right on..

Old
08-07-2012, 12:19 AM
puckstopshere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperposts31 View Post
No, I dont really miss Nabby. He played pretty well his rookie year and seasons after that, but he proved to me he is not the goalie that can take us to the cup. And I hate how terrible he is down low. Always letting weak 5-hole shots in. Niemi can get us to the cup. He is a clutch goaltender making saves when we need them most. Nabby rarely did that. We need to improve our game in our own zone. Now that is terrible.
You are blind and nuts...nabby made Many, many clutch saves and was the key reason we even made the playoff several years...look at lifetime stats to see how wrong you really are...

Old
08-07-2012, 12:22 AM
puckstopshere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
one of the most hyberbolic posts of all time.
and one of the dumbest posts ever!

Old
08-07-2012, 12:26 AM
puckstopshere

Next to Nabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARPENCAP View Post
Who's next to Nabby ?
Me! Marc R

Old
08-07-2012, 02:24 AM
Dicdonya

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSharks View Post

then DW signs both Niemi and Nitty for 4.0 million, *****.
This. I was so dumbfounded when we picked up Niemi after they let Nabby go due to "wanting to spend less in net". Then sign him to not a whole lot less than nabby was really looking for.

I miss nabby. He was more fun to watch than nemo and I felt comfortable with him in net every single night.

Nemo really scares the crap out of me everytime a big shot is getting wound up on the ice, I KNOW there will be a rebound, and fear where it is going. He has zero ability to stop a hard shot, and has no skill at finding his rebounds. Thats a horrible mix. Oh yeah....his glove hand blows too, especially from shots that go across his body.

Nemo is fun to watch while hes flailing about like a fool on the ice after every save though

Dicdonya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicdonya View Post
This. I was so dumbfounded when we picked up Niemi after they let Nabby go due to "wanting to spend less in net". Then sign him to not a whole lot less than nabby was really looking for.

I miss nabby. He was more fun to watch than nemo and I felt comfortable with him in net every single night.

Nemo really scares the crap out of me everytime a big shot is getting wound up on the ice, I KNOW there will be a rebound, and fear where it is going. He has zero ability to stop a hard shot, and has no skill at finding his rebounds. Thats a horrible mix. Oh yeah....his glove hand blows too, especially from shots that go across his body.

Nemo is fun to watch while hes flailing about like a fool on the ice after every save though
wasn't the rumour nabby wanted 5 mil + from an nhl team, hence why he didn't sign in the nhl until the trade deadline after he failed miserably in the khl.

the sharks got rid of a high priced 5 mil starting goalie, and signed 2 average priced starting goalies for 4 mil. i do not a see a problem with that.

but i am sure people would of loveeeeeeeeed wilson if he didn't sign niemi and nitty got hurt (like he did), and the sharks would of had to go with 2 inexperienced goalies in greiss and stalock/sateri.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Dicdonya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
wasn't the rumour nabby wanted 5 mil + from an nhl team, hence why he didn't sign in the nhl until the trade deadline after he failed miserably in the khl.

the sharks got rid of a high priced 5 mil starting goalie, and signed 2 average priced starting goalies for 4 mil. i do not a see a problem with that.

but i am sure people would of loveeeeeeeeed wilson if he didn't sign niemi and nitty got hurt (like he did), and the sharks would of had to go with 2 inexperienced goalies in greiss and stalock/sateri.
I know I would have, I love griess. I will admit he was not ready two years ago though. Plus around a mil difference between still having had nabby/griess would have been fine to me. I simply said it's ironic they wanted to spend less and did only by a relatively small margin.

Oh well I just don't like niemi no matter how much he's getting paid.

Dicdonya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:05 PM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

Nabby was not retained for several reasons;

1) DW called him out as needing to be a better team mate, etc. (e.g. Demers, etc),
2) out played by other goalies in the playoffs resulting is us not getting to the promised land,
3) Supply and Demand, there was an excess supply of NHL starters whos CAP hits were less than his demands.
4) He has a huge ego, he and the team needed a change in this area.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 12:55 PM
nbbyfan20

Yes, I miss Nabokov. As you can tell from my user name on here. But as a Organization, it was time to move on. I was hoping to go to the game this year when Nabokov returned to the Tank as a Islander. But it doesn't seem like anyone is going to see a NHL game this year.

nbbyfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote