HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Petr Sykora

Old
07-17-2012, 07:52 PM
SJSharks39

vCash: 500
Petr Sykora

What would you think of the Sharks signing Petr Sykora? He's not a bad player and would provide a veteran presence and would help with the secondary scoring problem. He's also got a couple rings to go along with that. Just wondering what you would think.

SJSharks39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:00 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomeaaron16 View Post
What would you think of the Sharks signing Petr Sykora? He's not a bad player and would provide a veteran presence and would help with the secondary scoring problem. He's also got a couple rings to go along with that. Just wondering what you would think.
I think Sykora would be fine as long as there is another forward on the way as well. He did great with NJ this past season but I don't think he alone would be enough.

KirbyDots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:05 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

He would be ok, but it all depends on term/caphit

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Janney

If he comes at 1mil/1yr, it wouldn't be the end of the world. But, his playoff performance was a bit worrisome. Only recorded five points in 18 games, and started getting scratched in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Janney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 09:13 PM
ScottyDont

Id rather have Sykora at 2.5mil then Handzus at 2.5...

ScottyDont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

I'd prefer someone who could grind a little too

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:01 PM
sub_zero94

the Sharks need speed/size on the wing

sub_zero94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:34 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
The Sharks are one of the oldest teams in the league. Why do they need more veteran presence? (Maybe the owners have stock in a walker or wheelchair company?)

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:20 PM
Janney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
The Sharks are one of the oldest teams in the league. Why do they need more veteran presence? (Maybe the owners have stock in a walker or wheelchair company?)
So that's why the Sharks want Mike Modano!

Janney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:32 PM
thrillermiller89

I wouldnt mind it. He proved he can still score and he still brings good speed. For the right price, I'd bring him in on a one year deal.

thrillermiller89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:11 AM
WineShark

If I were going to do it, I would prefer to have him as an invitee. My guess is he will get picked up before he comes to that though.

There is no question we need someone who can play a tweener role between the 2nd and 3rd lines, and he could fill that role playing a LW on the 3rd line primarily. But I'm not sure that Wingles and Sykora would have enough size or speed to make an effective line combination. Anyone playing with Sykora on the third line will need to be a good defender to support his offense and I don't think we have the right complimentary pieces to make that work.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 12:16 AM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
If I were going to do it, I would prefer to have him as an invitee. My guess is he will get picked up before he comes to that though.

There is no question we need someone who can play a tweener role between the 2nd and 3rd lines, and he could fill that role playing a LW on the 3rd line primarily. But I'm not sure that Wingles and Sykora would have enough size or speed to make an effective line combination. Anyone playing with Sykora on the third line will need to be a good defender to support his offense and I don't think we have the right complimentary pieces to make that work.
Sure we do, Sýkora Pavs Wingels, then we get another top 6 winger to play with Jumbo. Boom.

Old
07-18-2012, 02:10 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post

Wingels is fine on speed, maybe not quite on size but close. Sykora is almost pure sniper (F3).

Old
07-18-2012, 02:15 AM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

I like him, but he's too old. I would rather have someone who fits into our long-term plans.

JayP812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:16 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Wingels is fine on speed, maybe not quite on size but close. Sykora is almost pure sniper (F3).
Wingels may be smaller, but he plays much bigger than his size.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:17 AM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

Quote:
I think he'd be fine also, if
- we had another winger that's younger, faster and a sure point producer
- low cap or 1-2M as we just won't have the room, see ^
- only as a last resort case we can get a younger, faster player with a few rights years, etc.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:04 AM
one2gamble

The Sharks need more younger guys with some god damn cocky attitudes on the ice. Not older guys with "presence"

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
I like him, but he's too old. I would rather have someone who fits into our long-term plans.
The plan is to win now. 35 is not too old for this current team. I'm just worried he's too soft ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:37 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
The plan is to win now. 35 is not too old for this current team. I'm just worried he's too soft ...
If you plan on winning, check the age of the forward corps of recent winners. They are not oldsters to the degree that the Sharks are, especially at the very top of the corps.

Old
07-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Kitten Mittons

Correlation =/= causation.

Also when you exclude Handzus, our oldest forwards are 33 years old, one being one of the fastest players in the NHL, while the other a future Hall of Famer.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:04 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
If you plan on winning, check the age of the forward corps of recent winners. They are not oldsters to the degree that the Sharks are, especially at the very top of the corps.
The Sharks average age this past season was 28.176. If you look at the recent cup winners only the Kings and the Blackhawks are younger teams, at 26.89 and 26.868 respectively. The Devils who made the all the way to the cup finals were the oldest team in the league at 29.34 and the Bruins who one it last year have an average age of 28.41. Penguins and Red Wings are both older than we are and the Canucks are about the same age. I think this stat is slightly overrated.

I would be fine with Sykora, but again as I said earlier I don't think he'd be the solution to our problems alone. If we sign him I would prefer than we also go after a young fast tweener to play with Jumbo, or a top 6 if DW can swing it.

Old
07-18-2012, 02:35 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
The Sharks average age this past season was 28.176. If you look at the recent cup winners only the Kings and the Blackhawks are younger teams, at 26.89 and 26.868 respectively. The Devils who made the all the way to the cup finals were the oldest team in the league at 29.34 and the Bruins who one it last year have an average age of 28.41. Penguins and Red Wings are both older than we are and the Canucks are about the same age. I think this stat is slightly overrated.

I would be fine with Sykora, but again as I said earlier I don't think he'd be the solution to our problems alone. If we sign him I would prefer than we also go after a young fast tweener to play with Jumbo, or a top 6 if DW can swing it.
Statisticianed!

Though to be fair, SJeasy was talking about forwards, not all players, and top players, not role players.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:40 PM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

I loved when Peter sang the Glory of Love... Oh wait you mean Sykora not Cetara! :p

HOOCH2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Dan K211
Jaws

How about Kristian Huselius? Soft as warm butter and fragile as 1 ply toilet paper, but is skilled enough to play in a top 6 role and shouldn't be expensive. to sign.

Dan K211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 06:50 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Statisticianed!

Though to be fair, SJeasy was talking about forwards, not all players, and top players, not role players.
Yes I am talking about top 6's and especially top playoff scorers.

Age does tend to help cup winning d corps although there are some dramatic exceptions.

Sorry I didn't make it even more clear about where age is OK and not so much.