13. Arnold
14. Ramage
15. Byron
16. Aliu
17. Wotherspoon
18. Bouma
19. Howse
20. Ortio

Last edited by Noori: 07-17-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:05 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Uhh you got the years wrong and Wahl has fallen off the face of the earth.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:05 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Wahl and Howse really fell off the map!

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Noori

vCash: 50
A few things to note from my perspective:

From the previous top-20, Wahl, Negrin, and Leach have all busted. Ortio and Howse are on the verge of busting, both having terrible years. They desperately need to find form on the Heat, and quickly.

Players like Nemisz and Byron have slid in the rankings. They’re on a short leash. If they don’t crack the NHL roster soon, it may be lights out on an NHL career for them. Especially Byron, because we have so many wingers ahead of him on the depth chart. Nemisz atleast has the benefit of being able to play center and wing, and he did a decent job last season at center between Sven and Tommy K.

Wotherspoon, despite more than doubling his offensive output this season, moves up one whole measly spot. I think he should have went higher.

Also, I wonder if Holland were still around, where would he rank? Right behind Ferland is where I would have him at #12.

Overall, our prospect pool has greatly improved from last year (which, I suppose is no surprise since none of those players from last year - at least according to out standard - have graduated). It'll be interesting to see which guys drafted this will propel themselves into the top 20 next year (ala Brossoit).

Old
07-17-2012, 07:14 PM
MarkGio

All good points Noori. I wonder if Ramo would've made #12?

Old
07-17-2012, 07:20 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Wotherspoon being totally underrated. Oh well he will shoot up the rankings this season then.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:28 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Gaudreau sky rockets but with no surprise here.

tyflames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:32 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Wotherspoon being totally underrated. Oh well he will shoot up the rankings this season then.
Agreed, thought he would be within the top 10 or 15.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
i think wahl and howse will have a solid year in abby, there both very skilled players and howse has worked very hard and still is from what ive heard

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:58 PM
Flameshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
A few things to note from my perspective:

From the previous top-20, Wahl, Negrin, and Leach have all busted. Ortio and Howse are on the verge of busting, both having terrible years. They desperately need to find form on the Heat, and quickly.

Players like Nemisz and Byron have slid in the rankings. They’re on a short leash. If they don’t crack the NHL roster soon, it may be lights out on an NHL career for them. Especially Byron, because we have so many wingers ahead of him on the depth chart. Nemisz atleast has the benefit of being able to play center and wing, and he did a decent job last season at center between Sven and Tommy K.

Wotherspoon, despite more than doubling his offensive output this season, moves up one whole measly spot. I think he should have went higher.

Also, I wonder if Holland were still around, where would he rank? Right behind Ferland is where I would have him at #12.

Overall, our prospect pool has greatly improved from last year (which, I suppose is no surprise since none of those players from last year - at least according to out standard - have graduated). It'll be interesting to see which guys drafted this will propel themselves into the top 20 next year (ala Brossoit).
I agree with the wotherspoon point, but I would have to say I would easily Take at least arnold and Ramage above holland, and not just because he's not our prospect anymore haha. Arnold and Ramage both had great campaigns in college while Holland did have an impressive season in the WHL, as an overager on a line with two other overagers... His stats were perhaps a little inflated, and I don't see his potential as good as either of those two.

Flameshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:51 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
i think wahl and howse will have a solid year in abby, there both very skilled players and howse has worked very hard and still is from what ive heard
I seriously doubt Wahl even gets an opportunity to play for the Heat this year.

Horak
Reinhart
Walter
Street
Nemisz
Byron
Sylvester

Can all play center and are by all accounts ahead of Mitch on the depth charts. The writing is on the "Wahl", he seems to be done within the organization.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
I seriously doubt Wahl even gets an opportunity to play for the Heat this year.

Horak
Reinhart
Walter
Street
Nemisz
Byron
Sylvester

Can all play center and are by all accounts ahead of Mitch on the depth charts. The writing is on the "Wahl", he seems to be done within the organization.
This is really unfortunate. I really had high hopes for him when we drafted him.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:59 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameshomer View Post
I agree with the wotherspoon point, but I would have to say I would easily Take at least arnold and Ramage above holland, and not just because he's not our prospect anymore haha. Arnold and Ramage both had great campaigns in college while Holland did have an impressive season in the WHL, as an overager on a line with two other overagers... His stats were perhaps a little inflated, and I don't see his potential as good as either of those two.
Holland was not an overager, but his statistics were obviously very inflated by playing with Brendan Shinnimin and Adam Hughesman during the second half of the season. I too would slot him just behind Arnold if he were still Flames property. He simply does not project to have top six upside at the NHL level, and does not bring the intangibles that a player like Ferland or Arnold can. Feaster was smart to get value for him will he was enjoying a breakout campaign.

To me personally, the biggest miss on this list was having Lance Bouma at 18. Yes he does have limited upside at the NHL level, but he brings energy and leadership abilities that will likely make him an NHL regular shortly.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:25 PM
Volica

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Holland was not an overager, but his statistics were obviously very inflated by playing with Brendan Shinnimin and Adam Hughesman during the second half of the season. I too would slot him just behind Arnold if he were still Flames property. He simply does not project to have top six upside at the NHL level, and does not bring the intangibles that a player like Ferland or Arnold can. Feaster was smart to get value for him will he was enjoying a breakout campaign.

To me personally, the biggest miss on this list was having Lance Bouma at 18. Yes he does have limited upside at the NHL level, but he brings energy and leadership abilities that will likely make him an NHL regular shortly.
Bouma is going to be a much better NHLer than he ever was an ahler, junior player, etc.

Players like him get no love from regular fans simply because they just look over his hockeydb and are underwhelmed.

He has that Prust type player in him. He can play great defence, can help out a tad on the scoring front, can stand up for teammates, and of course soon he'll be able to be sent out against top lines in a shut down role. Wish he was a center.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:30 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
Bouma is going to be a much better NHLer than he ever was an ahler, junior player, etc.

Players like him get no love from regular fans simply because they just look over his hockeydb and are underwhelmed.

He has that Prust type player in him. He can play great defence, can help out a tad on the scoring front, can stand up for teammates, and of course soon he'll be able to be sent out against top lines in a shut down role. Wish he was a center.
I agree with everything except playing against top lines. He will most likely be used as a typical 4th liner seeing limited 5v5 time and lots of pk.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:35 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Backlund View Post
This is really unfortunate. I really had high hopes for him when we drafted him.
That's not to say he could work his way back into the fold. Could play in the ECHL and work his way back up if he plays good, but as I agree, a spot on the AHL roster will not be given to him, he has to earn it.

tyflames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:41 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

My personal top 20 after being able to watch the Flames Prospect camp:

1. Sven Bartschi
2. T.J. Brodie
3. Mark Jankowski
4. Johnny Gaudreau
5. Max Reinhart
6. Laurent Brossoit
7. Roman Horak
8. Leland Irving
9. Michael Ferland
10. Markus Granlund
11. Patrick Seiloff
12. Bill Arnold
13. Greg Nemisz
14. Lance Bouma
15. Joni Ortio
16. John Ramage
17. Tyler Wotherspoon
18. Carter Bancks
19. Brady Lamb
20. Akim Aliu

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:54 PM
MarkGio

^ Really? You think Brossiot can be a back-up in the NHL?

Old
07-17-2012, 10:55 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
^ Really? You think Brossiot can be a back-up in the NHL?
He isn't saying Brossoit>Irving in playing right now but in terms of value of better prospect in all.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:55 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Gaudreau will likely be our top prospect in 2013.

I'm really liking our prospect pool, I think by next season we will be sitting quite well. Hopefully Janko and Reinhart take that next step.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:01 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Gaudreau will likely be our top prospect in 2013.

I'm really liking our prospect pool, I think by next season we will be sitting quite well. Hopefully Janko and Reinhart take that next step.
I honestly believe he has the same skill level as Sven but is smaller and so is a bigger risk.

Old
07-18-2012, 12:07 AM
Noori

Wahl is done with this organization. He wasn't invited to devlopment camp and Feaster has implied that Wahl had a poor attitude.

He was the 'sexy pick' at the time (in terms of being sliding late first round talent), but it's a shame because Derek Stepan and Travis Hamonic were drafted just three and five picks after this guy. Also a shame from that draft, the two picks following Greg Nemiz were Tyler Ennis and John Carlson. Even more disappointing is picking Lance Bouma only to have Adam Henrique go four picks later (and they should have seen a ton of Henrique from watching Nemisz).

I know, I know, hindsight is 20/20, but T.J. Brodie is the only redeeming point of that draft.

Imagine a top-9:

Tanguay - Henrique - Iginla
Cammalleri - Stepan - Glencross
Bartschi - Cervenka - Hudler

or a defense of:

Bouwmeester - Carlson
Giordano - Wideman
Brodie - Sarich

What a difference.

Old
07-18-2012, 01:42 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post
My personal top 20 after being able to watch the Flames Prospect camp:

1. Sven Bartschi
2. T.J. Brodie
3. Mark Jankowski
4. Johnny Gaudreau
5. Max Reinhart
6. Laurent Brossoit
7. Roman Horak
8. Leland Irving
9. Michael Ferland
10. Markus Granlund
11. Patrick Seiloff
12. Bill Arnold
13. Greg Nemisz
14. Lance Bouma
15. Joni Ortio
16. John Ramage
17. Tyler Wotherspoon
18. Carter Bancks
19. Brady Lamb
20. Akim Aliu
I will explain some of this:

1. Jankowski is rated above Gaudreau as I believe he has similar talent but its harnessed in a 6'3'' frame. I think by next season he will be rated #1. He impressed me as the youngest prospect in camp and I think a year from now we will be giving him the "Baertschi treatment".

2. Laurent Brossoit over Leland Irving: I did this as I think Brossoit can be an top 15 starter in the NHL. Good size and athleticism, and looked solid in the prospect camp. Amazing season legitimized him as a prospect. As far as Irving goes, I can see him being an NHL starter, but likely not a high end one. I can see a very Chris Mason like career from him, so I cant justify him over Brossoit.

3. I wanted to bump Seiloff down a bit because from my (limited) viewing of him, his puck handling skills were below average, but he was too noticeable as a skater/hitter to knock him down. I'd temper expectations on the guy though unless he really develops his puck skills in Windsor.

4. Greg Nemisz has been knocked down a bunch as I have never thought of him as a quality prospect. He was terrible as a veteran in the prospect camp and as a 22 year old that is inexcusable. A below average skater with lacking intensity really pigeon holes him into a 3rd liner at best, I dont know if he ever becomes a long term NHLer.

5. Joni Ortio is bumped up as I believe he still has the talent to play in the NHL. His skills didnt evaporate overnight and I am willing to give goalies more leeway as far as bumps on their development path. A solid year in Europe or as Abbotsfords starter could really change peoples opinion of him.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:33 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Wahl is done with this organization. He wasn't invited to devlopment camp and Feaster has implied that Wahl had a poor attitude.

He was the 'sexy pick' at the time (in terms of being sliding late first round talent), but it's a shame because Derek Stepan and Travis Hamonic were drafted just three and five picks after this guy. Also a shame from that draft, the two picks following Greg Nemiz were Tyler Ennis and John Carlson. Even more disappointing is picking Lance Bouma only to have Adam Henrique go four picks later (and they should have seen a ton of Henrique from watching Nemisz).

I know, I know, hindsight is 20/20, but T.J. Brodie is the only redeeming point of that draft.

Imagine a top-9:

Tanguay - Henrique - Iginla
Cammalleri - Stepan - Glencross
Bartschi - Cervenka - Hudler

or a defense of:

Bouwmeester - Carlson
Giordano - Wideman
Brodie - Sarich

What a difference.
So we took:

Wahl, Nemisz, Bouma over Hamonic, Ennis, Henrique

ugh.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:31 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
So we took:

Wahl, Nemisz, Bouma over Hamonic, Ennis, Henrique

ugh.
If it were only that easy, eh?

We could have just as easily selected Viktor Tikhonov, Jared Staal and Adam Comrie and had absolutely no potential NHLer's to show for.