HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Stl - Tor

Old
07-18-2012, 09:06 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

vCash: 500
Stl - Tor

To Toronto
Brian Elliot

To St.Louis
John Michael Liles

yes another St.louis/Toronto thread. Felt like listening to the choir.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:08 AM
IBLEAF
17 CLARK-SON 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
To Toronto
Brian Elliot

To St.Louis
John Michael Liles

yes another St.louis/Toronto thread. Felt like listening to the choir.
hell no!! and i want liles gone

IBLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:17 AM
JohnnyGoodDro

st louis has a good laugh at this one

JohnnyGoodDro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Badger Mayhew*

Liles gets unfairly **** on for no reason by Leafs fans. He was our second best d-man and the only reason we had a PP before his concussion.

Badger Mayhew* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:23 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
Liles gets unfairly **** on for no reason by Leafs fans. He was our second best d-man and the only reason we had a PP before his concussion.
I agree he gets ripped too much but 2nd best? Phaneuf , Gunnarson and Gardiner say hi.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:24 AM
416Leafer

No from both sides.

Elliot is considered far from proven. Is he just a flash in the pan who benefited from playing under Hitchcock? His previous NHL experience hasn't been stellar. Not to mention the Leafs D is incredibly young, and now with Schenn gone it's getting fairly thin. Take Liles off the team, and you just thrust sophmore Gardiner into the role of HAVING to play in the top 4 all year long. What if he has a sophmore slump? You don't think it'd be better for his development to have Liles there to step in as needed, take the pressure off, etc.?

And from St. Louis' perspective, they want to see what they have in Elliot. Halak I believe is who they want to build around longterm, but they had a great duo last year and there's no reason to change that. They could use a D-man, but Liles is coming off a big injury, and until Liles' shows that he can play as a 40+ point Dman again, he's not going to have much value in trade proposals.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:33 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
OK.

Jaroslav Halak is still recovering from a high ankle sprain in the playoffs. Elliott is not available at this time. (I don't think he would be anyway, but particularly right now it would be foolish for the Blues to put too much pressure on Halak's speedy recovery.)

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Badger Mayhew*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
I agree he gets ripped too much but 2nd best? Phaneuf , Gunnarson and Gardiner say hi.
He was definitely better than Gardiner pre-concussion. Gunnarsson is debatable I suppose, although I'd give the edge to Liles for his PP work.

Badger Mayhew* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:40 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
I actually don't hate this one but I would wait until Halak gets a clean bill of health. That said Elliott had a great season and its probably better to just hold on to him and Halak and let the duo continue to split the net.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:47 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Whos ******** on liles?

Old
07-18-2012, 09:57 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
No from both sides.

Elliot is considered far from proven. Is he just a flash in the pan who benefited from playing under Hitchcock? His previous NHL experience hasn't been stellar. Not to mention the Leafs D is incredibly young, and now with Schenn gone it's getting fairly thin. Take Liles off the team, and you just thrust sophmore Gardiner into the role of HAVING to play in the top 4 all year long. What if he has a sophmore slump? You don't think it'd be better for his development to have Liles there to step in as needed, take the pressure off, etc.?

And from St. Louis' perspective, they want to see what they have in Elliot. Halak I believe is who they want to build around longterm, but they had a great duo last year and there's no reason to change that. They could use a D-man, but Liles is coming off a big injury, and until Liles' shows that he can play as a 40+ point Dman again, he's not going to have much value in trade proposals.

I agree with your post. However schenn has already been replaced (Holzer got a 1 way deal). Which leaves us with

Phaneuf
Gunnarsson
Gardiner
Liles
Franson
Komisarek
Holzer

With Blacker pushing to make the jump and Rielly potentially cracking the line-up losing Liles IMO wouldn't be horrible. I wouldn't be surprised if Percy gets a long look coming out of camp. The one reason why im willing to trade Liles is because the team already isn't good defensively. Elliot could potentially right the goal tending ship and Liles predecessor is probably already better at playing defense. Sure we lose points on the back end, but we gain points in retrospect to not letting in close to league leading goals against totals.

Old
07-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I don't understand why we would make this deal. Sure he would bring in that veteran presence we require in the back end. However without liles...our PP can just go in the corner and rot. He was one of the main reasons our PP seem to be a threat for the opposing team, after his concussion, which I think he rushed from, he wasn't the same. A full summer of rest and relaxation should bring him back to the speed of what we were seeing.

Elliot also is a key part of the blues organization as he has solidified himself in the blues organization and worked well in the Hitchcock system. Halak also is injured so I think they are going to ease him back into the team and let Elliot take some of the heat. An Injury like halak's isn't a simple one to come back from.

07-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
BINGO.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:23 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
I agree with your post. However schenn has already been replaced (Holzer got a 1 way deal). Which leaves us with

Phaneuf
Gunnarsson
Gardiner
Liles
Franson
Komisarek
Holzer

With Blacker pushing to make the jump and Rielly potentially cracking the line-up losing Liles IMO wouldn't be horrible. I wouldn't be surprised if Percy gets a long look coming out of camp. The one reason why im willing to trade Liles is because the team already isn't good defensively. Elliot could potentially right the goal tending ship and Liles predecessor is probably already better at playing defense. Sure we lose points on the back end, but we gain points in retrospect to not letting in close to league leading goals against totals.
But none of these guys, Blacker, Holzer, or Percy should be EXPECTED to fill a top 4 spot, and neither should Gardiner. That's what Veterans are for. You let your young guys earn that spot over a veteran. If you just force them into it, that's when you have guys that fold under pressure, have obvious slumps where the media throws them under the bus, etc. If Gardiner has a slump next year, but we have Liles to help run the PP and play on the second pair, it's not going to be a huge deal.

As for Rielly, he should definitely go back to Junior. But that's another debate.

Phaneuf/Liles/Gunnarson are the only guys that we can consider locks to be top 4 guys next year. The other spot can be battled for between Gardiner/Franson/Komi/Holzer. But if you create two open spots in the top 4, it's asking for a disaster, especially if we get an injury to Phaneuf or Gunnarson.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Oshie97

I don't see the Blues trading Elliott, we had the best duo in the league and they are signed cheap. Can Liles handle 25 min a game?

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:24 AM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 2238
Elliot and Halak are the buns that hold our sandwich together. Open face sandwiches get too messy and we all know Hitch likes a nicely structured sandwich.

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

vCash: 50
I don't exactly hate this trade.

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

I am certainly in the minority among the Leafs fans because I hope we keep Liles for a couple of years. He IMMEDIATELY made an impact on our blue-line since day 1 and looked great in many ways, he sky-rocketed our PP, improved our transition game by a lot(which would have been an issue since Kaberle's departure) and played fairly adequate enough at the very least defensively all before he got his concussion. He did look out of place after returning but what would u expect, he was still regaining his game back.

I am by no means overrating Liles and he is certainly not untouchable on our roster, but at this point I had rather hold on to him for a year or two before dealing him for question marks because at this point, he is a key contributor to our team.

Oh and now that he is healthy, I expect a good and a bounce back year from Liles.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Tyler Biggs*
Go Leafs Go!

I would do this deal from a Leafs perspective. Elliott is a talented goalie and could come in and be our #1 guy.

He's also from Ontario, so that should shut Cherry up some more.

Tyler Biggs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Kadri43

Quote:

Phaneuf
Gunnarsson
Gardiner
Liles
Franson
Komisarek
Holzer

How do people think that Rielly is going to crack the lineup. Percy also had an injury filled year and will need at least another year to develop. People really need realize that Rielly is way to young and was injured all last year. He needs another year before we can even talk about him "potentially cracking the line-up".

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:55 AM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 2238
Jokes aside, I don't even know why Toronto fans would target Elliot. He was great for us last season but to throw him into Toronto and expect close to the same production that we got out of him would just be crazy.

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 11:00 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadri43 View Post
How do people think that Rielly is going to crack the lineup. Percy also had an injury filled year and will need at least another year to develop. People really need realize that Rielly is way to young and was injured all last year. He needs another year before we can even talk about him "potentially cracking the line-up".
I watched Jake Gardiner at the prospects camp last year, and i watched Rielly at prospects camp this year. He is a lot closer then you think. Spitting images of each other, with Rielly the more explosive and creative player.

Old
07-18-2012, 11:01 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
Jokes aside, I don't even know why Toronto fans would target Elliot. He was great for us last season but to throw him into Toronto and expect close to the same production that we got out of him would just be crazy.
Im more or less looking for a goalie that is good in a split role. Hes a veteran player that can mentor Riemer. In no way is this the solution, however its a good route to getting Riemer into a full time starters role. Elliot may flourish and bite the sens in the butt.. who knows.

Old
07-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Tyler Biggs*
Go Leafs Go!

Quote:
I watched Jake Gardiner at the prospects camp last year, and i watched Rielly at prospects camp this year. He is a lot closer then you think. Spitting images of each other, with Rielly the more explosive and creative player.
They won`t rush him and he will be joining the Leaf blueline in 2013.

Another year to dominate in junior will do wonders for Rielly, let's not do the same mistake as with Schenn and rush him in right away.

Tyler Biggs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 11:05 AM
mpolo

I hope Liles rebounds from his concussion this year, his play after the injury was horrible, and was definitely a factor in the 2nd half of the season nosedive for the Leafs.

In my opinion you gotta give him one more year to see what we have, and try to find a goalie using different assets.

mpolo is offline   Reply With Quote