Notices

Would a MLS team succeed in Winnipeg?

Old
07-20-2012, 12:31 AM
Tintin's Ghost

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
If you look at rates, no, Winnipeg is not the fastest growing. But one cannot use rates as such a measurement of anything other than per-annum growth. In terms of net population, it has been up there by quite a bit, and is only growing more every year since 2005. To me, this is more important than a growth rate because we won't ever get as high as say Saskatoon or Regina anytime soon....but even if Saskatoon continues its growth rate and Winnipeg completely stopped growing, it would take ~60 years for Saskatoon to catch up in population.
Fear the Saskaboom. With all the new oil and potash deposits they found out here I'll say Saskatoon catches Winnipeg in 20 years

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 05:00 AM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
It's funny, but a lot of what you are saying was said about the return of the NHL to Winnipeg.

I think we need to see how the city responds to the NASL when we get it (I think that will happen). That will be the determinant.
I was waiting for someone to say that. The difference between the 2 should be obvious. There is a passion in this city for NHL hockey..so much so that people are willing to pay some of the highest ticket prices in the league for several seasons on end even if the Jets don't make the playoffs. This passion does not extend to MLS soccer or at least, it doesn't extend to significant numbers in the 'Peg.

NASL is the highest we can hope to achieve.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
Fear the Saskaboom. With all the new oil and potash deposits they found out here I'll say Saskatoon catches Winnipeg in 20 years
Please, let's not turn this thread into a pissing match or a "rah rah Saskabush" thread. In any event, Sasktoon ain't catching up to Winnipeg anytime this century, if ever, and I hope they never do.

Sorry for the OT, back to soccer.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:59 AM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

vCash: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
lol

won't happen

agreed w puck though, lets not get too OT here

roccerfeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:08 PM
KingSalamon

As much as I enjoy the sport of Soccer (Football) I don't think I would ever pay to go to a game. I enjoy watching the odd game on tv but that would be World Cup/Euro stuff. I may have watched 30 minutes of an MLS game on tv but I wasn't too interested.

And to compound the issue... I doubt I will be going to many (if any) Bomber games when they move to their new stadium. Too out of the way for me and I guess I'm not that big of a Bomber fan in the first place.

KingSalamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Jet
Band of Beavers

vCash: 50
Are you guys sure you don't like soccer?