Old
07-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
That is his job.

I can understand a GM putting an "untouchable" tag on some players. But that tag can be removed.
There's not a better way to raise a player's value than to say he's untouchable.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Rookie Chargers

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
His 'character' and committment is about as anti Bruin as they come
I know what Neely and a couple of others from the inside have said but who are we to say what is really acceptable in the Bruins' room?

I am not trying to gang up on you because we all say the same thing.

It is good to make the family bigger because we'll be stronger.

Edit:

Krejci at his age has me thinking he hasn't hit full stride yet and no way is he a 3rd line center not for more than a game anyway.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:20 PM
OrrCam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
So? So was Tomas Kaberle's, and we don't win a cup without him.

It's one thing to have a team approach. To not be willing to look outside that approach for quality talent is myopic and self-limiting. Not a good way to be the best of the best.
Like ODAAT said "His 'character' and committment is about as anti Bruin as they come". Myopic, maybe. True, absolutely.

OrrCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrCam View Post
Like ODAAT said "His 'character' and committment is about as anti Bruin as they come". Myopic, maybe. True, absolutely.
It's not the definition that's myopic. Fully conceded that Semin is not a prototypical Bruin. ODAAT is 100% right in what he says

Insisting that only Bruins-types can or should play for the Bruins? That's short-sighted. And how.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucic View Post
There's not a better way to raise a player's value than to say he's untouchable.
the ink on the tag is invisible.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:58 PM
seemlessglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Ignoring the Krejci part for a moment...

Keith Yandle would be a great addition. He's averaged 18 power play points the last 3 years which is better than any of our forwards. He's a left shot who could set up at the top of the right circle giving our RH playmakers a target. You could put him on the left side with Boychuk on the second pair, allowing Seidenberg to play with Chara full time and letting a RH Hamilton learn in the 3rd pair next to a LH Ference...

That would be the best defense in the NHL.
Just for that Julian would keep him off the power play.

seemlessglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:33 PM
jmeehan1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeofParanoia View Post
Semin couldn't produce when playing with Alexander Ovechkin and Niklas Backstrom. What makes you think he'd all of a sudden start playing hockey when playing with David Krejci and Milan Lucic?
Semin played 6 years with the caps and had 3 years with 30 plus goals and 73 plus points i think he produced in some of those years he was with Ovi and Backstrom. Not to mention if Boston did sign him which they wont. Dont you think they would put him with Seguin and Bergy not Lucic and Krejci.

jmeehan1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:54 PM
XtremeofParanoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeehan1985 View Post
Semin played 6 years with the caps and had 3 years with 30 plus goals and 73 plus points i think he produced in some of those years he was with Ovi and Backstrom. Not to mention if Boston did sign him which they wont. Dont you think they would put him with Seguin and Bergy not Lucic and Krejci.
The point is, it doesn't matter who he plays with, he's a lazy, disinterested player punching a time card. You think Kessel was bad when he was here? Semin would get booed out of town within a month. There's no denying that he has a unique, top-end set of skills (arguably the best wrist shot in the game) but he will never wear a spoked-B, ever.

XtremeofParanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:54 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Quote:

Insisting that only Bruins-types can or should play for the Bruins? That's short-sighted. And how.
Can: Pretty much fact with Chiarelli and Julien at the helm. They don't like 1-dimensional players, even if they are scoring machines. See: Kessel, Phil. So yes, right now it's pretty safe to say that with the current management's mindset, only Bruin-types will play on this team.

Should: An entirely different argument. I, for one, think that we can afford to give a roster spot to someone who is just out there to score ... But that's just me. A whole team full of those types? No, not so much... But I see nothing wrong with having 1 spot available for a pure sniper.

MillerTime 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
It's not the definition that's myopic. Fully conceded that Semin is not a prototypical Bruin. ODAAT is 100% right in what he says

If you're under the impression that "Bruins-types" means bangers and grinders, you couldn't be more wrong. There is room on the Bruins for players ranging in style from Tyler Seguin to Milan Lucic to Andrew Ference to Zdeno Chara. Those are four extraordinarily different types of hockey players. What they DO have in common is a commitment to hard work; intelligent, three-zone play; and doing what's best for the team. THAT is a "Bruins-type," not laziness, selfishness and headline-grabbing.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Derp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
I can see Don Maloney having interest in Peverley also...
Rich Peverley has a No-Trade Clause.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 05:45 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
If you're under the impression that "Bruins-types" means bangers and grinders, you couldn't be more wrong. There is room on the Bruins for players ranging in style from Tyler Seguin to Milan Lucic to Andrew Ference to Zdeno Chara. Those are four extraordinarily different types of hockey players. What they DO have in common is a commitment to hard work; intelligent, three-zone play; and doing what's best for the team. THAT is a "Bruins-type," not laziness, selfishness and headline-grabbing.
Really doesn't change my point. Limiting yourself to only the guys fans like to root for doesn't help you win. If you have a skill guy who improves your team but is a bit of a jerk, sign him. Just don't expect him to be a leader, like the Leafs did with Kessel. Find your leadership elsewhere.

Old
07-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
Rich Peverley has a No-Trade Clause.
Which only means he won't go anywhere he doesn't want to. Phoenix is a team that has made the playoffs pretty consistently, and it's not a bad place to spend the winter, I couldn't imagine Pevs would kick that hard at winding up down there if he was approached right.

Old
07-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Which only means he won't go anywhere he doesn't want to. Phoenix is a team that has made the playoffs pretty consistently, and it's not a bad place to spend the winter, I couldn't imagine Pevs would kick that hard at winding up down there if he was approached right.
What if Phoenix becomes Quebec or Seattle? The reason why Doan hasn't signed with the Coyotes is because of the uncertainty. can't see Pevs waving his NTC to a team that may be moving.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Given Bettman's determination to make sure that doesn't happen, I for one would take my chances.

QC and Seattle are both pretty decent places to be a hockey player anyway, although for wildly different reasons. Seattle's not a bad winter destination -- it's not Phoenix, but it's not Winnipeg either. And QC would go nuts to see hockey back in town.

Old
07-22-2012, 05:59 PM
FutureConsiderations

Dealing Krejci on July 22nd leaves you with:

Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin
Lucic-Kelly-Horton(?)
Peverley-Campbell-Caron
Bourque/Paille-Hanson-Thornton
...and zero depth.

In short, you don't deal Krejci until you have a good #2 center lined up. Kelly is a #3, Seguin hasn't proven jack at center, and anyone who writes about adding Semin to this top-six has mastered the art of satire.

Yandle isn't going anywhere anytime soon and Krejci isn't shooting his way out. There's no reason to move on this right now, let it sit and see what Seguin shows at center.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post

Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin
Lucic-Kelly-Horton(?)
Peverley-Campbell-Caron
...and zero depth.

In short, you don't deal Krejci until you have a good #2 center lined up. Kelly is a #3, Seguin hasn't proven jack at center, and anyone who writes about adding Semin to this top-six has mastered the art of satire.

Yandle isn't going anywhere anytime soon and Krejci isn't shooting his way out. There's no reason to move on this right now, let it sit and see what Seguin shows at center.
Seguin can't prove anything unless he's given an opportunity... He's played RW his whole career so far. How could he prove anything at C even if he wanted to?

Seguin played great at C during the beginning of the season when he centered Lucic and Horton for 2 or 3 games when Krejci was hurt. Only thing wrong was his faceoffs, which weren't so great. But practice makes perfect with those. He learned so much defensively last season from Bergeron, I think he's ready to try whenever the chance comes.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:22 PM
OrrCam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
That my friend = Bruin! Well said.

OrrCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:26 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Given Bettman's determination to make sure that doesn't happen, I for one would take my chances.

QC and Seattle are both pretty decent places to be a hockey player anyway, although for wildly different reasons. Seattle's not a bad winter destination -- it's not Phoenix, but it's not Winnipeg either. And QC would go nuts to see hockey back in town.

Off topc, but with every piece of the financial pie being examined under a microscope by shrewd execs and union pros, it's safe to assume that the franchise will at least have a roadmap to a sustainable solution by the start of the 2013 season, either in Phoenix, QC, or a longshot like KC or Seattle. Fehr will rip the league to shreds in negotiations and in the press if they're willing to shell out hundreds of millions a year to keep a team in Phoenix while they want to cut players' salaries by 25%.

N.B. There was an article in the WSJ about how Seattle may be at its saturation point for sports teams. However, it didn't take into account seasons, which I thought was short-sighted. Fans who care enough about sports to pay to see the crappy Mariners in the summer would very likely shell out cash to attend a Seattle NBA or NHL game.

Old
07-22-2012, 06:31 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucic View Post
Seguin can't prove anything unless he's given an opportunity... He's played RW his whole career so far. How could he prove anything at C even if he wanted to?

Seguin played great at C during the beginning of the season when he centered Lucic and Horton for 2 or 3 games when Krejci was hurt. Only thing wrong was his faceoffs, which weren't so great. But practice makes perfect with those. He learned so much defensively last season from Bergeron, I think he's ready to try whenever the chance comes.
This post is fantastic.

Has he played RW his whole career or did he play some games at center?

Was he "great" at center or did he suck at faceoffs? (And, by the way, everything else on the defensive side of the position).

I think he'll get his chance at center this year, but only because Chiarelli an Claude have quiet hesitations about Krejci's speed/fight and Bergeron's concussions. If he doesn't miss a beat, then that is when you have a decision to make - not now.

Old
07-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Really doesn't change my point. Limiting yourself to only the guys fans like to root for doesn't help you win. If you have a skill guy who improves your team but is a bit of a jerk, sign him. Just don't expect him to be a leader, like the Leafs did with Kessel. Find your leadership elsewhere.
Thank you for the reminder of why I'm glad Chiarelli runs this hockey team.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post

Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin
Lucic-Kelly-Horton(?)
Peverley-Campbell-Caron
...and zero depth.

So, if you needed a second line center, you wouldn't play the guy who's spent the majority of his career as a 2nd line center, or the guy who was drafted as a potential franchise center, but the career 3rd liner?

07-22-2012, 08:19 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
good to hear good reports on Horton and the others

I think the Krejci, Lucic, and Horton line goes for 80 goals and 200 points next season/

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 08:24 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post

So, if you needed a second line center, you wouldn't play the guy who's spent the majority of his career as a 2nd line center, or the guy who was drafted as a potential franchise center, but the career 3rd liner?
Point is, you don't start the year with a question mark at 2C.

Seguin simply wasn't up to it last year, why should he be counted on this year? He'll get his chances, even with Bergeron and Krejci around. Break him in slowly, though.

Peverley's best year in Atlanta was on pace with Krejci's worst in Boston. I like him but is east-west offensive game is risky and risky forwards don't play center in Boston.

My philosophy is that you go into the year with surplus because **** happens. The exception to this rule is when you're getting a guaranteed franchise player like Weber or Parise. Yandle's nice, but so is Krejci. All things equal (are they?) depth is the kicker. Without a strong 2C, Boston's "roll four" strategy breaks apart.

Old
07-22-2012, 08:36 PM
jasonbaz77*

Funny...I couldn't think of many less Bruin-type players than Tyler Seguin. Somehow he is doing just fine.

Total nonsense.

jasonbaz77* is offline   Reply With Quote