HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Fell on my shoulder, now it hurts...

Old
07-18-2012, 01:16 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

vCash: 500
Fell on my shoulder, now it hurts...

I was working on switching from forward to backwards last night and fell awkwardly on my shoulder. It hurt a little bit at the time (actually felt like it needed to "pop" back into place - although I'm certain it wasn't dislocated, just felt like a good pop would make it feel better) but no biggie.

After sleeping on it, it's stiffened up a bit and hurts when I do certain things. When the arm is hanging down, no problem. When I try to raise it, it hurts on the outer top part of the shoulder. But once I get it to shoulder height, it stops hurting and I'm able to raise it over my head.

I was assuming it was just a pulled muscle or strain. It's not a huge amount of pain or anything, and only when I move it in certain ways. I don't have any bruising or swelling at all. The pain is mostly when I have my arm raised level with the shoulder and if I try to move my arm forward/back. I was looking into whether or not it might be a rotator cuff, but I'm thinking that would hurt more and I wouldn't be able to lift it and have it start hurting.

My plan is to wait a day or two and if it doesn't get better, go in to the urgent care and have them take a look. Or does this sound like something that I should go in today for? It feels like a pulled muscle, and I have to say that last night when I was in bed, I was able to get the joint to pop (something that happens frequently enough, not just last night) and it did feel better after that.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:19 PM
noobman

Are you seriously asking this question? Get it checked out ASAP. Normally I'd say it's just a bruise and that you will get over it with some ice, but if it felt like it was out of place it could be a serious issue.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:27 PM
AIREAYE

Love these threads LOL

"I may have a serious injury or medical condition! Let's see what HFBoards knows before I consider seeing a qualified medical professional!"

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:31 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

No, it didn't feel like it was out of place. But I often crack my knuckles and a lot of joints that tend to pop from time to time and it almost always feels better after popping than before (my back, my neck, knees, elbows, etc.) When the weather changes, I often get joint pain and then once my joints pop I feel better. So it felt like it needed a good pop, it was never out of place or anything - the fall happened at the beginning during warmups and I didn't have any trouble or pain at all throughout the practice and the scrimmage. It wasn't until I slept on it that I woke up and it actually hurt. That's why I'm thinking it's not a big thing, but rather a pulled muscle that just got stiff from being in the same position overnight.

So I don't really feel that it's a serious injury - the pain is not all that bad, there's no clicking or anything, and I have a full range of motion (albeit with pain). No swelling, no bruising, just a bit achy when I move it in certain directions.

Old
07-18-2012, 01:41 PM
emgsa85

Trust me.... you would know if it was dislocated. That is the most unpleasent feeling in the world. Get it checked out though... an awkward fall could have torn your labrum and it may not heal properly without surgery unfortunately.

emgsa85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:49 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

That's what I thought about the dislocation - from everything I've ever heard/read, it is excruciating and pretty obvious when it happens - my first thought when I fell was that I could have done that but then realized that I was able to move it and had no problem at all with pain. I'm assuming that it would be obvious to an outside observer if it were dislocated, that the shoulder would seem a bit off-kilter? I don't have that at all, my shoulders are completely even with nothing poking out or hanging where it shouldn't be hanging.

Old
07-18-2012, 03:57 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

It's a strained rotator cuff.

Old
07-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Oh yeah I've got one of those it acts up every now and again but it took months to heal.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I sprained my shoulder. It took a couple of months to fully go away. I thought for sure it was dislocated because I landed on it while going full speed on pavement. Yeah, road hockey...

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:04 PM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
It's a strained rotator cuff.
You may have actually slightly dislocated your shoulder. It wouldn't have come completely out of the socket (obviously) but the "rotator cuff" is actually the group of muscles that hold your humerus (the head of your arm bone) to the scapula. That would explain the popping sensation.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:22 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

They took x-rays and it all looks good, a very mild muscle strain. No tear, no dislocation. I have a cloth splint to wear for the next couple of days and a prescription although I doubt I'll need it as I haven't been taking anything other than an ibuprofen this morning.

No hockey tomorrow but he said if the pain is gone, I can play on Sunday. So we'll see. He also gave me some exercises to do once the pain goes away.

So I am officially on the IR, with an undisclosed upper body injury!

Old
07-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Danglous

I always wait my injuries out a few days to see if they heal on their own. They usually do.

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 07:37 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I think this would have done that. But it was worth the $35 to get the peace of mind knowing that it's not serious. I was told to rest it, take NSAID for any inflammation or pain, and just take it easy. Which is what I would have done anyway.

Old
07-18-2012, 10:38 PM
LordsCup*

Why are you asking here? Go see a doctor!

LordsCup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:02 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I did see a doctor, they took X-rays and it's one of the muscles in the rotator cuff. Very minor, should be better in a few days with rest.

I've kept it in the sling since seeing the dr and it's already getting better. I'd range of motion is about 50% closer to normal than it was yesterday, so by the weekend i should be pretty much over it.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dikkens View Post
I always wait my injuries out a few days to see if they heal on their own. They usually do.
Same, unless the pain is unbearable. I don't think I've gone to the doctor for anything hockey related other than my whiplash.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote