HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Detroit Re-Signs Kyle Quincey [2 Years/$3.775 AAV]

Old
07-18-2012, 05:25 PM
vippe

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to vippe
I remember asking this before in a hawks thread but dont think I got an answer but since he seems to be talked about here I guess I can ask it here aswell. What happend to Oduya? When he was first traded to them everyone was up in arms about his play and heading to the playoffs alot of people said they were going to be pissed off at Bowman if he didnt re-sign him. I saw most of the hawks games in the play offs and I dont remember him being any worse than the other defensemen on the hawks those games.

As for this signing I dont like it, never did I like Quincey and he certainly didnt have a good year last year.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
My main problem with Quincey's comments was the selfishness... it seemed a case of "oh I'm not playing so I can't support them like normal because them winning means I don't play" when you had Hunwick who, while terrible, sat on his ass for most of last season without complaining and was still commended for his work ethic and attitude.
And Hunny played really well when he got a chance.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Claypool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Ericsson and Quincey are worse defensively then Oduya

Claypool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:28 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 steps View Post
You realize Kindl, Smith and White are currently starting defensemen for Wings, right?
White has played top 4 in San Jose and Detroit and looked pretty good doing it. In fact he has played top 4 in all of his stops.

Smith is still based on potential but there is a ton of it, I would take him over Oduya right now.

Kindl is someone I believe in personally but would not make that argument for and expect others to believe in. Interestingly Wings management made a push for Bogosian when he was out of favor in Atlanta but wouldn't give up the two firsts and Kindl because of Kindl or so the rumors went. Then Atlanta offered Oduya and tried for Kindl again and that was even less of a starting point. Now Kindl has not played and why I cannot explain given how they protect him whenever trade discussions happen, but Ken Holland wouldn't take Oduya over Kindl we actually know this. Of course I don't hate Oduya either, he is a very good skater and has some positives to his game. Surprised me that he was hit so harshly by that Hawks fan, but I guess every organization has targets and maybe he is the unfortunate person for yours right now.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:30 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I'm sorry, but put yourself in the shoes of Avs players who were playing during that winning streak. Do you think they appreciate what Quincey said?
It's not as big of a deal as you are making it seem. These men are professional athletes who all want to play. Telling the media is sucks to sit out when you are healthy and that it's tougher to get into the games from the press box is not that big of a deal.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Ceremony
the times she cried

vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
It's not as big of a deal as you are making it seem. These men are professional athletes who all want to play. Telling the media is sucks to sit out when you are healthy and that it's tougher to get into the games from the press box is not that big of a deal.
Yeah but there's a difference between saying it sucks to be not playing and that you want to be playing and saying "It's hard to root for your team, and try to help your team, be part of the team, when you're just sitting."

Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
Quote:
As a guy who was a pro athlete (not for long because of my knees) and as a guy who knows how a pro locker-room works it's not as simple as your trying to present it.

Everyone wants to play and help the team on the ice, because that's human nature, but saying that you can't bring yourself to cheer for your teammates because you're not on the ice and that you're going to seriously consider lying to team doctors doesn't do you any favours both in the locker-room (both with fellow players and coaches) and with the FO.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Freudian
Ready for some hokey

vCash: 50
Quincey is a #3 defender earning #3 defenseman money. I think he's an ok defender but he takes so many stupid penalties that it is hard to like him on your team.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:44 PM
no name

that is bad.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:53 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Yeah but there's a difference between saying it sucks to be not playing and that you want to be playing and saying "It's hard to root for your team, and try to help your team, be part of the team, when you're just sitting."
I still think you are taking his quote way too literally. It's not like he said "I will not root for this team while I am sitting." If you are not dressing for a game generally you are not that involved in practice and you are not going through the same routine as the guys who are. If you actually have been a healthy scratch you know that it is hard to really get into games and be as positive as you can when you are in the press box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
As a guy who was a pro athlete (not for long because of my knees) and as a guy who knows how a pro locker-room works it's not as simple as your trying to present it.

Everyone wants to play and help the team on the ice, because that's human nature, but saying that you can't bring yourself to cheer for your teammates because you're not on the ice and that you're going to seriously consider lying to team doctors doesn't do you any favours both in the locker-room (both with fellow players and coaches) and with the FO.
Did he say I can't bring my self to cheer? From what it looks like in the article it seems like he was just saying that when you are a healthy scratch it is hard to get excited for games and to really cheer when you are watching from the bench. Also the doctor comment doesn't seem that serious to me. If an injury is clearly hampering your ability and the doctors need you to tell them about it then there is something wrong. (What was the injury anyways?) Depending on what the injury is a lot of guys (literally every athlete who cares) will just not bring stuff up to the training staff because they know they will be taken out of the game(s).

Either way I still think it's pretty ridiculous to call someone a selfish and a bad team player because of some comments ,that honestly were not that bad, he made to a reporter.

Old
07-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Duskog
Smugnorance is bliss

Zetterburger, you can read it however you want now that he's wearing red, but that was pretty obviously the turning point that led to his being dealt.

Duskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Ceremony
the times she cried

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
Avs and Hawks fans bashing the signing....
Hey, I'm just glad he's gone

Old
07-18-2012, 06:21 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I'm liking the Red Wings depth on the blueline, but I'm a Kings fan.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Osprey

Reading this thread has been a surprise, since I was still under the impression that he was a very solid, young defenseman. I'm just going on how well he performed in LA and in his first year in Colorado, though. He must've really fallen off after that. That's too bad.

As for what he said in the December article, that's not what you want your players and teammates saying. That was dumb and selfish. Still, we shouldn't over-react. It could've been something out-of-character that came out at the height of frustration and something that he regrets now; we don't know. Also, one can grow out of such immaturity, especially in one's 20s. I'd be more concerned if he acts like that again, sometime down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
Red Wings had Niklas Kronwall and Mathieu Schneider and couldn't give Quincey playing time. After they waived him, DRWs won a cup in 2008... so waiving Quincey is pretty much moot at this point. The cup makes all past trades/waives/signings "good".
Just a small correction: Quincey was with the Wings during their 2008 Cup run, but didn't play, then was waived the following October.

Last edited by Osprey: 07-18-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
My main problem with Quincey's comments was the selfishness... it seemed a case of "oh I'm not playing so I can't support them like normal because them winning means I don't play" when you had Hunwick who, while terrible, sat on his ass for most of last season without complaining and was still commended for his work ethic and attitude.
Ever try to give an answer for the simple sake of giving an answer and it goes out of control and you are misinterpreted? No? Hi God.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Ceremony
the times she cried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
Ever try to give an answer for the simple sake of giving an answer and it goes out of control and you are misinterpreted? No? Hi God.
Not off-hand no, but then I'm not a professional athlete who deals with the media a lot and is used to questions like that. And if he was giving a simple answer, then why not just the usual canned "I'm ready to go when I get my chance and I'm eager to get back playing again." As I said earlier, you compare his conduct with Hunwick who played a lot less and didn't complain once, it just seemed wrong.

Old
07-18-2012, 06:37 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Not a bad caphit for Quincey. I'd expected him to get more so I'm happy.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 06:42 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Not off-hand no, but then I'm not a professional athlete who deals with the media a lot and is used to questions like that. And if he was giving a simple answer, then why not just the usual canned "I'm ready to go when I get my chance and I'm eager to get back playing again." As I said earlier, you compare his conduct with Hunwick who played a lot less and didn't complain once, it just seemed wrong.
Stop comparing him to Hunwick. Hunwick probably knew he didn't belong in the everyday lineup and that if he messed up he would be gone. Quincey knew that he should be playing and wasn't happy about being a healthy scratch. He was the leading point scorer (on defense) and minute leader for the Avs at the time too.

I can't believe we are still talking about this. Some Avs fans didn't like what Quincey said. Nobody else thinks it's a big deal. End of story.

Old
07-18-2012, 06:59 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Stop comparing him to Hunwick. Hunwick probably knew he didn't belong in the everyday lineup and that if he messed up he would be gone. Quincey knew that he should be playing and wasn't happy about being a healthy scratch. He was the leading point scorer (on defense) and minute leader for the Avs at the time too.

I can't believe we are still talking about this. Some Avs fans didn't like what Quincey said. Nobody else thinks it's a big deal. End of story.
The are entitled to that opinion, I didn't like some of the things he said on his last exit. He said the phrase wrong, but they can be up in arms over it. A lot of injured players talk about it is hard to feel apart of the team when you are not playing and usually a regular. It didn't end his tenure there well.

Quincey needs to concentrate on what he can do to improve not outside distractions. Needs to have a shorter memory and not take things as personally.This same mindset is why after mistakes he usually compounds them. He either reaches for too much to make up or wants to point fingers, it needs to stop for him to meet his potential in my opinion.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Drij

Quote:

You can say what ever you want, but the guy has no class and should be playing in the AHL or russia.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Ceremony
the times she cried

Quote:

I wasn't comparing the players, I was comparing their respective handling of the situation.

Old
07-18-2012, 07:04 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
You can say what ever you want, but the guy has no class and should be playing in the AHL or russia.
Good rational response...

Quote:
I wasn't comparing the players, I was comparing their respective handling of the situation.
so was I

Old
07-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
that is bad.
Bad is Carle, Wiz, etc. This contract is not bad at all. He would've received more in arbitration due to some of the hideous comparables. That would've been bad.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Some of these responses are ridiculous. Shoot the guy for being competitive and wanting to play.

Does anyone actually think Detroit doesn't know who and what kind of player, competitor and person Quincey is?

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote