HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Joe Thornton

Closed Thread

Old
07-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Kitten Mittons

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Thornton for Stepan, 1st and McIlrath.
Realistically (from a Sharks POV), it'll probably take something like Stepan, Kreider, 1st, mid-level prospect.

Old
07-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Not sure what's worse, the offer, or having Richards above Thornton.
Young established 2-way 2nd line center, top defenseman prospect and 1st is a bad offer?

Richards is above Thornton since the Richards line is better. Richards ain't better than Thornton though.

Old
07-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Realistically (from a Sharks POV), it'll probably take something like Stepan, Kreider, 1st, mid-level prospect.
Yikes. Understandable from Sharks since he is the franchise's best all-time player, but this destroys depth.

Old
07-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Falco5

Quote:
Honestly, I doubt the sharks would even do it for that right now. It just makes no sense from their perspective. After this year if they fail then maybe Thornton gets traded but Thornton is essentially untouchable till then.

A more interesting discussion is what is Thornton worth following 12-13 if the sharks are eliminated in the first round again.

Old
07-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan K211 View Post
Then don't respond to it.
You could also not say it when you know it's not true and you know it's not humorous in any way.

Old
07-18-2012, 07:23 PM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco5 View Post

A more interesting discussion is what is Thornton worth following 12-13 if the sharks are eliminated in the first round again.
This. I think one more year of a playoff fizzle is what it would take to move Joe. He's 33, not 38.

Old
07-18-2012, 07:31 PM
hawkeyguru93

Statsny, Barrie and a 1st for Thornton and Hamilton

Old
07-18-2012, 08:17 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyguru93 View Post
How about Stastny, Downie, and a 1st? I may or may not have any idea what I'm talking about.

Old
07-18-2012, 08:20 PM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
This. I think one more year of a playoff fizzle is what it would take to move Joe. He's 33, not 38.
If the Sharks are trying to fix their playoffs then it sure as hell doesn't start with Joe Thornton. He's probably consistently been the best player on the Sharks in and out of the playoffs the last few years. I'm not saying this is your stance, as you very well might just be saying the Sharks would need to start over if they fail in the playoffs again, but I'd move everyone else on the team before I'd move him, and I'm willing to bet the team feels that way too.

Old
07-18-2012, 08:58 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyguru93 View Post
This is the kind of serious offer I'd listen to. The main problem is that Barrie is a righty and therefore not a fit, but Stastny is a legit young #1C.

I'd require a young established first line player and a good forward prospect/first depending on the prospect.

Old
07-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Honestly, I doubt the sharks would even do it for that right now. It just makes no sense from their perspective. After this year if they fail then maybe Thornton gets traded but Thornton is essentially untouchable till then.
Oh no, the proposal would be under the assumption of a rebuild. If we're still looking to be contenders, you don't want to see the kind of proposal that would be "realistic."

Old
07-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

What about Gio, Irving, and Reinhart?

Old
07-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

Ryan Miller, Tyler Ennis and a 1st
For
Thornton and Niemi

Never gonna happen, but if they were going to trade him, this is the most realistic thing i could think of

Old
07-19-2012, 12:30 AM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
Ryan Miller, Tyler Ennis and a 1st
For
Thornton and Niemi

Never gonna happen, but if they were going to trade him, this is the most realistic thing i could think of
I think Unicorns may beat that in the realm of realism.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:14 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Joe is the Sharks best player in the playoffs. He is not one of the reason's they lost to Vancouver and St. Louis.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:16 AM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
And yet, still less than Nash, whom Thornton blows off the planet.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:36 AM
Habsrback

Players that sub-perform in the playoffs are now heavily discounted. See how nobody is rushing to sign Semin.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:53 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsrback View Post
Players that sub-perform in the playoffs are now heavily discounted. See how nobody is rushing to sign Semin.
This is quite funny to me, as both Thornton and Semin are dinged for 'not performing in the playoffs', when in reality both are good playoff players.

Thornton has been a dominant force these past two playoffs, and Semin's poor counting stats from this past postseason can be attributed to an unlucky on-ice shooting percentage of 4% (league average is 8-9%).

Old
07-19-2012, 03:07 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
If the Sharks are eliminated from the first round again, it wouldn't be because Joe Thornton didn't bring his A game. It would be because his team didn't bring it.

Thornton is an amazing athlete and he will still be a great player in his late 30s.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Falco5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
If the Sharks are eliminated from the first round again, it wouldn't be because Joe Thornton didn't bring his A game. It would be because his team didn't bring it.

Thornton is an amazing athlete and he will still be a great player in his late 30s.
Obviously yes. But if they fail in the first round again I expect everything to get blown up and they will start over. That includes trading away their best player(s).

Old
07-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Obviously yes. But if they fail in the first round again I expect everything to get blown up and they will start over. That includes trading away their best player(s).
Blow up that team and keep Couture, Pavelski, Burns, Stuart and the other young defenseman.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:44 AM
RunFromTheBear

Krejci
Boychuk
Soderberg rights

For

Thornton

Peverley - Thornton - Seguin
Lucic - Bergeron - Marchand
Samsonov - Kelly - Horton
Thornton - Campbell - Paille
Caron

Old
07-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Sharksfan420

Quote:
just stop because you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Thornton is close to a ppg player in the playoffs. Just watch his performance the past 2 years and you will see this is totally untrue. Game 5 vs Vancouver was one of the best individual playoff performances I have seen from anyone on this team and he did it all with a separated shoulder.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Ad nauseam. When was the last time you watched the playoffs? 2004?

07-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Habsrback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksfan420 View Post
just stop because you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Thornton is close to a ppg player in the playoffs. Just watch his performance the past 2 years and you will see this is totally untrue. Game 5 vs Vancouver was one of the best individual playoff performances I have seen from anyone on this team and he did it all with a separated shoulder.
Your thoughts are in-line with your emotions, and your insults just validate my point. Boston and San Jose never got anywhere with him. That is a fact. Also, Thornton's lifetime stats show an average PPG during the season of a cool 1.00, whereas it drops by 24% to 0.76 during the playoffs. He IS paid to produce offensively. Do you want more? I can continue. Oh, he played well during the 5th game of what series? I sure hope that with this talent and size that he can pull one out of the bag once in a while during the playoffs. You will always enjoy some great season play with these types of players but will never win the Cup if you rely on them heavily. Do you think that the Bruins would have traded him had they thought that he can remain outstanding in the playoffs? Oh, come on, be realistic. I like Thornton, but he is that type of player. What I am simply saying is that in today's NHL, where the playoffs are a completely different game, players who do not perform at their own level get earmarked and their value is discounted. No hard feelings.

Closed Thread