HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Veteran Leadership" on the blue line and the idea of sending Gardiner down

Old
07-18-2012, 04:45 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

vCash: 500
"Veteran Leadership" on the blue line and the idea of sending Gardiner down

I was listening to the Leafs' end of season presser (again) today. M. Brophy asked the question and we can all agree "Do you have to bring in some veteran leadership to help Dion?" Burke's reply: "I think we might have to yes. I have to support Randy's assessment that we have to support Dion. Not replace him."

I can't help, but agree with this assessment. I think most of us agree that with the right pairing Dion could flourish again and so can the Leafs' defense. I'm sure everyone has 1C and 1G on their minds, but we really need to address the D. It's not good enough. A veteran could really make this D better, but who? And most importantly where do they go? I think our current vets are Komi and JML, but I think Burke realizes that when answering the question.

My concern is where do we fit them? Do we move JML for a vet? A vet for a vet? I doubt it. I think in order to do this we send Gardiner down for part of the season. We can pretty much think of Gardiner as JML's understudy. Having Gardiner and JML at Left D at the same time is a problem. They are both the same type player (Gardiner with more upside). I'm not saying trade Gardiner, but there has to be vet D with dion. Gardiner can work on his game on the Marlies and come up from time to time. Eventually we trade JML at the deadline or he is our number 7.

Veteran D Dion
JML Holzer
Gunn Franson
Gardiner (AHL)

Eventually

Veteran D Dion
Gardiner Holzer
Gunn Franson
JML

Last edited by ForSpareParts*: 07-18-2012 at 06:38 PM.
ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Leaf_Crazy

This is ridiculous.

You guys must be having a boring summer.

Edit: And Holzer is a veteran? #LOLWUT

Leaf_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:50 PM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

Why can't a forward be a veteran? Your quote does not suggest it can't be.

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:51 PM
New Liskeard

Burke is very likely to add a D, not subtract one. Would not be the least bit suprised if Poile and Burke have had discusions about Weber (albeit one sided). Gardiner+Kadri+1st+Ashton/prospect.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
There's a possibility that someone like Franson or Gunnarsson is part of a package in a trade. But there was also a quote of his saying that adding a defenceman right now is the least of his priorities.

Scoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
I was listening to the Leafs' end of season presser (again) today. M. Brophy asked the question and we can all agree "Do you have to bring in some veteran leadership to help Dion?" Burke's reply: "I think we might have to yes. I have to support Randy's accessment that we have to support Dion. Not replace him."

I can't help, but agree with this accessment. I think most of us agree that with the right pairing Dion could flourish again and so can the Leafs' defense. I'm sure everyone has 1C and 1G on their minds, but we really need to address the D. It's not good enough. A veteran could really make this D better, but who? And most importantly where do they go? I think our current vets are Komi and JML, but I think Burke realizes that when answering the question.

My concern is where do we fit them? Do we move JML for a vet? A vet for a vet? I doubt it. I think in order to do this we send Gardiner down for part of the season. We can pretty much think of Gardiner as JML's understudy. Having Gardiner and JML at Left D at the same time is a problem. They are both the same type player (Gardiner with more upside). I'm not saying trade Gardiner, but there has to be vet D with dion. Gardiner can work on his game on the Marlies and come up from time to time. Eventually we trade JML at the deadline or he is our number 7.

Veteran D Dion
JML Holzer
Gunn Franson
Gardiner (AHL)

Eventually

Veteran D Dion
Gardiner Holzer
Gunn Franson
JML
I think you've spent too much time in the sun if you think adding a veteran defenseman means you have to trade Liles or move Gardiner to the AHL. There are three other spots on the blueline to potentially slot in another veteran defenseman.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:56 PM
DaveT83*

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if ole Burkie was done making moves this off-season.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:56 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*

not sure if serious

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:57 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Another waste of a thread

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:57 PM
HockeyGuy82

Quote:
I was listening to the Leafs' end of season presser (again) today. M. Brophy asked the question and we can all agree "Do you have to bring in some veteran leadership to help Dion?" Burke's reply: "I think we might have to yes. I have to support Randy's accessment that we have to support Dion. Not replace him."

I can't help, but agree with this accessment. I think most of us agree that with the right pairing Dion could flourish again and so can the Leafs' defense. I'm sure everyone has 1C and 1G on their minds, but we really need to address the D. It's not good enough. A veteran could really make this D better, but who? And most importantly where do they go? I think our current vets are Komi and JML, but I think Burke realizes that when answering the question.

Veteran D Dion
JML Holzer
Gunn Franson
Gardiner (AHL)

Eventually

Veteran D Dion
Gardiner Holzer
Gunn Franson
JML

haha!! why do you have Holzer there. he will get a shot but probably be 6th or 7th d-men IF he makes it. Komisarek will play before holzer. too much hype over him you guys will all be disapointed.

HockeyGuy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Still have an entire summer to go. ugh

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:59 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBullies View Post
Why can't a forward be a veteran? Your quote does not suggest it can't be.
A forward can be a veteran. No reason to get e-motional.

What's important is my interpretation. I am arguing that Dion needs one, beside him, in the near future, for success. We can't be happy with our D right now. A vet who's got an all round game could really give the leafs a lift.

Old
07-18-2012, 04:59 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if ole Burkie was done making moves this off-season.
Considering Burke said publicly he expects the team to look quite different at training camp than it does now, you're very likely to be wrong.

Old
07-18-2012, 05:00 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
A forward can be a veteran. No reason to get e-motional.

What's important is my interpretation. I am arguing that Dion needs one, beside him, in the near future, for success. We can't be happy with our D right now. A vet who's got an all round game could really give the leafs a lift.
Burke said a vetran on the team, he said nothing of a vetran defenceman. Why you making things up?

Old
07-18-2012, 05:02 PM
dfunk

vCash: 550
Quote:

Veteran D Dion
JML Holzer
Gunn Franson
Gardiner (AHL)

Eventually

Veteran D Dion
Gardiner Holzer
Gunn Franson
JML
There is no way Holzer gets a full time spot before Gardiner.

dfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:05 PM
STZ

So to fit in a veteran we need to send Gardiner down... Yet we bring Holzer up? This is ridiculous. Gardiner will be our best offensive thread from the back end this year. Phanuef and Liles should be enough veteran leadership... They have Komi, what else is he good for other than being a vet pressence?

I disagree with pretty much every idea this thread is about. I agree with Liskeard, just get a veteran forward. I mean Mcclement has been around a while. He's been a leader on St. Louis and Colorado... could this "call to action" by Burke already been resolved?

STZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Midna

Midna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:08 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 545
I don't think the message Burke was conveying was that the veteran leadership needed to be coming from the blue line, although I'd have to watch the presser again to be sure.

I was talking to Colton Orr's dad today and he said Colton was being brought back onto the roster [that's been speculated among us HF'ers, but he sounded like it was already for sure]. Colton has that veteran presence in the locker room and I believe that's what RC and BB are wanting to do.

I think Burke meant there was a need for leadership qualities among more people than just Phaneuf.

Last edited by indigobuffalo: 07-18-2012 at 05:20 PM.
indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:08 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Burke said a vetran on the team, he said nothing of a vetran defenceman. Why you making things up?
Because he goes on to talk about Randy's defensive pairings.

"I think the way Randy matches defensive pairings and the job Dion did shutting down the other teams' forwards did not go unnoticed".

You're just trying to be argumentative. If you don't like the thread post elsewhere.

Old
07-18-2012, 05:10 PM
NewEraHockey

After all that time Burke spent insisting that Gardiner was untouchable and a part of the teams future, why on earth would he turn around and bury him in the minors just to give an inferior defenceman his roster spot? Give your head a shake.

NewEraHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:14 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Because he goes on to talk about Randy's defensive pairings.

"I think the way Randy matches defensive pairings and the job Dion did shutting down the other teams' forwards did not go unnoticed".

You're just trying to be argumentative. If you don't like the thread post elsewhere.
Feel free to quote Burke where he said a "vetran D was needed to help Dion". Look forward to seeing it.

Old
07-18-2012, 05:16 PM
Fenton

Remember, stay in school kids!

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:28 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Considering Burke said publicly he expects the team to look quite different at training camp than it does now, you're very likely to be wrong.
Sorry forgot that whatever comes out of Burke's mouth should be taken as Gospel.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Leafidelity
Way she goes...

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Veteran D Dion
JML Holzer
Gunn Franson
Gardiner (AHL)