Old
07-18-2012, 05:28 PM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 500
Anaheim Ducks prospect ranking #10

Here we go again.

Ranking so far:
1. Kyle Palmieri 37.04%
2. Sami Vatanen 41.38% (original poll) 50.63% (tiebreaker)
3. Emerson Etem 62.90%
4. Peter Holland 56.25%
5. Hampus Lindholm 55.56%
6. Devante Smith-Pelly 40.00%
7. John Gibson 44.44%
8. Rikard Rakell 73.33%
9. Nicolas Kerdiles 40.00%

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:06 PM
DuckJet
Road Rash

vCash: 577
Andersen going anywhere lower than this at this point is criminal. He has way too much talent.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 01:11 AM
James Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Andersen going anywhere lower than this at this point is criminal. He has way too much talent.
depth

James Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:23 AM
DuckJet
Road Rash

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Franco View Post
depth
I agree with that, but I'll take the second best goalie out of Sweden who can play backup right now if our backup wasn't already Sweden's best goalie over Sweden's secondary league's top rookie. Not to sell Karlsson short. He'd be top 7 on many prospect lists. Hell on San Jose he'd probably be first or second. It just highlights how incredible our depth is, but Andersen is just more valuable and more accomplished at the moment.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:37 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I agree with that, but I'll take the second best goalie out of Sweden who can play backup right now if our backup wasn't already Sweden's best goalie over Sweden's secondary league's top rookie. Not to sell Karlsson short. He'd be top 7 on many prospect lists. Hell on San Jose he'd probably be first or second. It just highlights how incredible our depth is, but Andersen is just more valuable and more accomplished at the moment.
That just goes back to the ready vs. not ready argument. Being older, and at a later stage in his development isn't really the same as being a better prospect. It just means he's likely closer to being the player he can become, and probably closer to cracking the NHL. It all comes down to what you think makes a better prospect.

Ultimately, that's why Gibson probably ended up going before Andersen. The latter might be older, and more NHL-ready, but Gibson's perceived upside is rather impressive. If someone sees franchise potential in Gibson, it just won't matter that Andersen is older and more developed at this stage. Sure, Gibson might be a riskier bet, but the potential payout is so much sweeter

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:44 AM
DuckJet
Road Rash

It's a fair point. But Andersen has been good his whole career. I think he went lower because teams were afraid he'd repeat what he did to Carolina.

I'm not sold on Karlsson's potential yet. Again, nothing against the kid. He's obviously talented. I see the upside but I didnt see a clear NHL future like I did in Rakell.

I don't know. For me it's Andersen then it's easily Karlsson.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:50 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Well, to play both sides, it could also be a lack of knowledge regarding Andersen. We did just acquire him pretty recently, even if he's been a prospect for a bit, he wasn't our prospect. Not too dissimilar from Kerdiles and Lindholm, in that we, as a fanbase, just don't know as much about them as most of our other prospects.

Old
07-19-2012, 05:27 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
That just goes back to the ready vs. not ready argument. Being older, and at a later stage in his development isn't really the same as being a better prospect. It just means he's likely closer to being the player he can become, and probably closer to cracking the NHL. It all comes down to what you think makes a better prospect.

Ultimately, that's why Gibson probably ended up going before Andersen. The latter might be older, and more NHL-ready, but Gibson's perceived upside is rather impressive. If someone sees franchise potential in Gibson, it just won't matter that Andersen is older and more developed at this stage. Sure, Gibson might be a riskier bet, but the potential payout is so much sweeter
I'm sorry but I think this is kind of ridiculous to talk about a goaltenders upside at that age. I have no idea why you'd even say that Gibson has more upside either way. Is it because one was drafted in the 2nd and the other the 7th? When has that ever mattered for goaltending prospects? Most people think it's silly that goalies are even draft eligible at 18, when 20 is a lot closer to the reality for the position. Andersen is at the age where a goaltender's upside is evident, and it's looking pretty good. Gibson on the other hand is a nice prospect, but it is still essentially a lotto ticket before the numbers have been read.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:59 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Andersen was underperforming in playoffs and in WC, but to have hi borderline top10 prospect in organisation is ridiculous. And it`s good

Kalvinators is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:09 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Andersen was underperforming in playoffs and in WC, but to have hi borderline top10 prospect in organisation is ridiculous. And it`s good
He didn't under perform in the WCs. He just didn't carry a sub par team on his back.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:51 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
He didn't under perform in the WCs. He just didn't carry a sub par team on his back.
He could still do better. But yeah, he wasn`t stoping pucks with Canada Olympic team in front of him.

two of these goals should have been stopped.

Not saying that he`s a bust or anything - he let in those softies when game was already out of the hand. I think that he`ll be great, just sayin that it`s fair that he`ll be ''just'' 10th in this great prospect poll.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:02 AM
Exit Dose

That cuts both ways. Gibson wasn't exactly a monster at the U-20s, and he had a significantly better team to work with.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
That cuts both ways. Gibson wasn't exactly a monster at the U-20s, and he had a significantly better team to work with.
Good point. Although he had Campbel in front of him (which is our divisional rival )

Old
07-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
I'm sorry but I think this is kind of ridiculous to talk about a goaltenders upside at that age. I have no idea why you'd even say that Gibson has more upside either way. Is it because one was drafted in the 2nd and the other the 7th? When has that ever mattered for goaltending prospects? Most people think it's silly that goalies are even draft eligible at 18, when 20 is a lot closer to the reality for the position. Andersen is at the age where a goaltender's upside is evident, and it's looking pretty good. Gibson on the other hand is a nice prospect, but it is still essentially a lotto ticket before the numbers have been read.
I think you're reading way too much into what I said. While I believe Gibson will end up the better goaltender, everything I said there was a discussion on why someone might vote one prospect over another. I used Gibson vs. Andersen as an example because Andersen is the older and more mature prospect, but it was Gibson who ended up on the board first. If people look at the two, and think Gibson will turn out better, then why should they vote Andersen ahead of him, just because he's older and a bit further along in his development? It's the expected end result that people are probably voting for between the two.

I'm already on record as saying I'm wary of goaltending prospects, because of their volatility, and that I generally favor the skaters as prospects. That conversation came up after we drafted Gibson and then had the prospect rankings.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:18 PM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

Went with Frederik

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:22 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

For a guy with his stats in SEL, advanced age, and supposed maturity, it doesn't seem like Andersen did particularly well in the prospect conditioning camp.

Although supposedly none of the goalies stood out either way, and it's tough to judge goalies in those sorts of things.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
I think you're reading way too much into what I said.
That appears to be the case. This isn't fair. I wanted to vent.

Old
07-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Exit Dose

Did anyone form an opinion of Megna, Helgeson, and O'Brien from camp? I have no idea what I'm supposed to expect from any of those guys.

Old
07-19-2012, 03:25 PM
DuckJet
Road Rash

Quote:
Did anyone form an opinion of Megna, Helgeson, and O'Brien from camp? I have no idea what I'm supposed to expect from any of those guys.
I remember reading that O'Brien impressed. That he reminded some of Welinski at his first camp.

Old
07-19-2012, 05:41 PM
James Franco

O'brien was one of the best defensemen at rookie camps, really really impressed the hell out of me. So did Wagner

Old
07-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Paul4587

Tiebreaker time?

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:02 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
That appears to be the case. This isn't fair. I wanted to vent.
Oh, go on then. I'll bite. Gibson is a bajillionillion times better than Andersen. Look, I can prove it. He was drafted higher(he was, right? otherwise, I'm going to feel like a knob).

Old
07-20-2012, 04:22 AM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Oh, go on then. I'll bite. Gibson is a bajillionillion times better than Andersen. Look, I can prove it. He was drafted higher(he was, right? otherwise, I'm going to feel like a knob).
Andersen was drafted twice! He must be very good to be picked two times.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 05:35 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
It just doesn't feel the same. Looks like I'll have to wait for another Bobby Ryan rumor to surface. Or we can start one. Hey, I hear Anaheim is offering Bobby and a 1st to the Rangers for Anisimov.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:38 AM
James Franco

Quote:
Megna impressed me. He plays a low risk style game, very simple play, just solid. I could see him turning into a solid shutdown guy