HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

losing interest in hockey

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2005, 02:19 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

vCash: 500
losing interest in hockey

is it just me or is anyone else beginning to lose interest in hockey. i think today is the first day where i kind of feel like i wonder if i would really care that much if hockey returned. maybe it is true, the longer time goes on, the less fans there will be as there's less to be interested in. theres so mcuh else we can do, do they really think we'll be running to them when they come back?

i duno, video games and computers are far more interesting then waiting for each tidbit of hockey news at this point. anyone agree with me? or is it really just me?

Old
01-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Chartrand

Can't say that I agree. I miss watching Bruins games ( even if I'm not a Bruins fan and they're they only game that's on ), but the Monarchs and the occasional UNH game are enough for me.

Old
01-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Matt13

Im thinking of buy Avenger Tix and also, Anaheim has a lacrosse team that plays at the pond.

Old
01-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Fat Elvis

I think that the players don't realize that life will continue with out their sport. Hockey has one of the smallest fan base in sports, probably only ahead of the wnba, lpga and bowling. They are no longer part the top 4 of sports, X games has pass them in terms of fan base. Soon college hoops with March madness and spring training will start after the super bowl. For most sports fans, hockey is lost behind football(college,pro), Basketball(college,pro), Baseball, nascar, and a number of x-games both winter and summer. Our passionate fan base in a minority in the sports community, the players need to realize this soon or there will be no nhl, and only us few fans really care

Old
01-26-2005, 04:04 PM
Cropduster

Lost interest, no. But I am certainly not as anxious as I was a month ago. When it comes back (and I know it will), I will be excited and ready for it.

Old
01-26-2005, 04:05 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING ELVI
I think that the players don't realize that life will continue with out their sport. Hockey has one of the smallest fan base in sports, probably only ahead of the wnba, lpga and bowling.

I got news for you, all 3 of those have higher ratings then hockey. Hockey hasnt been part of the big 4 for a very long time, if ever considering college sports have allways had bigger audiences.

Old
01-26-2005, 04:28 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropduster
Lost interest, no. But I am certainly not as anxious as I was a month ago. When it comes back (and I know it will), I will be excited and ready for it.
i think the main things i notice is that the longer the lockout goes, the more things i do to fill the time i normally spend on hockey. i find this stuff just as interesting as hockey and see no real need to go back to hockey when it does come back. i already got stuff going to fill my time, why go back to hockey when im just as interested doing my other things.

does this mean i'm not a "true" hockey fan, possibly, one could argue that. but then again, what exactly are the owners and the players doing for us... the fan? we've dropped loads and loads of money on tickets and it seems like when it comes down to negotaitions on how to split OUR money, we're not even included. perhaps im a bit bitter, perhaps im slowly getting disinterested in hockey, but at least i know that they aren't the only option to kill time.

Old
01-26-2005, 05:30 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
is it just me or is anyone else beginning to lose interest in hockey?
Don't know whether it's just you or not, but I've certainly not lost any interest in the game. I have minor league hockey to watch, which is excellent. If I needed more than that there would be college hockey, which is all around me here in New England. Oh yeah, I'll be leaving in a couple of hours to play some really bad hockey. I think the game is awesome.

I don't miss watching the prima donnas. I watch Dustin Brown, Lehoux (well, maybe not anymore this year), Cammalleri, TK and Mathieu Garon all the time.

[Edit: Don't equate the NHL with everything that is hockey. I think that's a mistake.]

Old
01-26-2005, 05:37 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Losing interest? Never....

Old
01-26-2005, 06:13 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
is it just me or is anyone else beginning to lose interest in hockey. i think today is the first day where i kind of feel like i wonder if i would really care that much if hockey returned. maybe it is true, the longer time goes on, the less fans there will be as there's less to be interested in. theres so mcuh else we can do, do they really think we'll be running to them when they come back?

i duno, video games and computers are far more interesting then waiting for each tidbit of hockey news at this point. anyone agree with me? or is it really just me?
well i canceled my cable when it was confirmed that there will be a strike...so hockey is my main interest...however, life goes on...i dont miss hockey as much as i thouhgt i would...if anything, i'm just disapointed in the owners and players...they of all ppl should know that the sport of hockey is not doing very well at all...and the longer this strike goes on, the more they are upsetting the little, but loyal fanbase they have...how loyal their fans would be after being betrayed is yet to be seen...not very smart in my oppinion...

I'm not the most informed person concerning the issues of the strike...but i'm guessing the owners answer would be that because the game isnt doing very well, they need to fix the problems in the game now so it doesnt not continue being bad or get worse...but i'm guessing that the main issue is and always has been about money...i havent put much thought into this so i may be way off...any input welcomed

Old
01-26-2005, 07:04 PM
guzmania

I thought I would be in worse shape than I am. I have spent more time with the wife, been fooling around with Garage Band, absolutely digging the Australian Open (Ausie, Ausie, Ausie Oy, Oy, Oy!), the NFL on the weekends, Nascar right around the corner. I'll make it. Don't really feel disconnected, never though I'd say it, I have proved I can live without the NHL.

Old
01-26-2005, 07:26 PM
ReggieMoto

Quote:
You should visit the Monarchs web site - right now - and select the multimedia button and then the webcast icon. The Monarchs are playing Lowell right now, and you can catch Garon, Gleason, Grebs, Cammy, Brown and company trying to beat the Lock Monsters. It was tied, but as I was typing this Lowell just scored. It's now 2-1 Lowell.

Old
01-26-2005, 09:15 PM
ReggieMoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto
The Monarchs are playing Lowell right now, and you can catch Garon, Gleason, Grebs, Cammy, Brown and company trying to beat the Lock Monsters. It was tied, but as I was typing this Lowell just scored. It's now 2-1 Lowell.
If you had tuned it, it would have been just like listening to the Kings. 5-2 final, Lowell. Came out strong in the first, but couldn't capitalize on a 5-on-3 PP. Later, Grebs scored both goals. The forwards were who knows where.

Feeling good about himself tonight, Grebs wanted to share the love and turned the puck over in the neutral zone, giving the Lock Monsters a free and clear shot to the empty net in the third.

It's a lot more like the Kings than you might think.

Old
01-26-2005, 11:59 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
I spent last thursday putting together my opionion of LA's line combination's because I got optimistic the season might return. So, no I haven't lost interest, I know when it returns I will be VERY HAPPYY to say the least...

Old
01-27-2005, 11:06 AM
girl4kings
2012 & 2014 Champs

Send a message via AIM to girl4kings Send a message via Yahoo to girl4kings
I havent lost interest in hockey. I have been listening to the monarchs games via the webcast. I am still hoping that the lock out will be resolved at least for the start of next season. I will be there when it comes back.

Old
01-27-2005, 12:05 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
I'm with Reaper. Even if the NHL goes under completely, and some start-up franchise comes to LA ten years later I would still be there.

01-27-2005, 02:05 PM
sigepcsun

losing interest?? high school students

I teach at a high school in San Diego
Right at this moment there is a LaCrosse meeting in my classroom that 40 students attended, the roller hockey team only had about 20 students.
Last year there were 40 students that showed up for hockey and about 25 for lacrosse.

Most students have not been exposed to hockey and we are losing more to other sports. like lacrosse.

These jackholes on both sides are destroying hockey's future.

Old
01-28-2005, 09:25 AM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Love the avatar reaper!

I would never lose interest. Agree 100% with ya. I guess I just have to get used to other avenues.

Old
02-10-2005, 07:49 PM
McSorley 33

I myself love hockey. Though I've never played the sport like most of us here in California, I truely love the sport. Nothing gets me more excited, nervous or upset then my hockey. I love hockey so much that I couldn't take the no discussion on our news media anymore, and joined this board yesterday and began to post. I actually drove down to Staples Center on Saturaday to buy some Kings stuff and to my dismay, everything was gone. No Kings stuff, only Dodgers Angels and Lakers of course. I laughed, just my luck, no hockey and I'm still thinking about the sport and now I can't even buy a shirt if I wanted too. I've liked the kings sense I was in Jr high and still like them at 28 yrs old. I'll still be a fan, still wear my jersey, still yell at the opposing team and sit here in the dark waiting for the lights to come back on in the hockey world. Waiting for an agreement to be reached and games to begin. Hockey will come back and I will be waiting, to cheer my team, well our team on as usual. I'm positive Staples will sell out too. Their simply is to many of us.

Closed Thread