HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Demers or Braun?

View Poll Results: Braun or Demers
Justin Braun 25 39.68%
Jason Demers 19 30.16%
Too close 19 30.16%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-29-2012, 04:58 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 500
Demers or Braun?

I've noticed a bit of a divide on our forum about these two young defensemen. Which one is better right now? I think Braun is better because he is more solid defensively, but Demers is more mobile and helps generate offense. What do you guys think?

JayP812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Kitten Mittons

Right now Braun. In future, if both live up to potential, Demers.

Although, there is an argument for too close. Demers had an off-year but was stellar the year before. Braun had atrocious international tournament.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 05:01 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Braun is likely to develop into a #4 TWD

Demers can become a #3 PMD.

Personally i like Demers better.

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 05:19 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1004
Braun is a sure bet in my mind to be a solid #4 from now on.

Demers is a bottom-pairing guy right now, but he was playing like a #3 two seasons ago and he has much more high-end potential.

Personally, I would hate to trade either. If we're going after a third-liner, I'd rather deal Murray.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 05:26 PM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

Really to close to call for me, 2 years ago id have said Demers... I need another year to figure it out.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 06:30 PM
TealManV
A man has said

It's close but I'm going to say Braun. He has a calmness about him that will be beneficial for his development. Being a solid Defenseman isn't all about points.

TealManV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Hab Shark
Better call Saul

Braun was more reliable defensively last year but ceiling is higher with Demers, eventually I think he will be a #2 and great Offensive D.

Hab Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 07:21 PM
Squeeven

I don't know if i should vote now since its 6-6-6, ha ha. Our defense is cursed!!!

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Pinkfloyd

I think they were pretty much even. The only difference being one was defensive, one was offensive and one was surpassing expectations and one was below expectations but in terms of production and overall effectiveness, they were even to me.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:07 PM
kluu

Braun and its not close.

When Braun first got called up, he showed me he has good offensive instincts, great shot

The next season, he showed me he can be sound defensively. He'll win the 50/50s and he's able to make the good play to get out of the zone

kluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluu View Post
Braun and its not close.

When Braun first got called up, he showed me he has good offensive instincts, great shot

The next season, he showed me he can be sound defensively. He'll win the 50/50s and he's able to make the good play to get out of the zone
Yet even with a poor season from Demers, he outscored Braun in 9 less games. He may have good offensive instincts but it hasn't led him anywhere in production.

Old
07-29-2012, 09:26 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

I can't decide who I like better. I think they will both be awesome and I wan't to see them both retained forever and ever.

Plus, if you ice em both together they can be real hellions out there.

Demaun.

MadmanSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:41 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Yet even with a poor season from Demers, he outscored Braun in 9 less games. He may have good offensive instincts but it hasn't led him anywhere in production.
And Braun partnered Boyle a lot more than Demers. A death blow for points.

One reason I don't want Boyle around for a rebuild, he is not really a mentor.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:47 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Demers 2 extra points could also be attributed to having 2 more PP points than Braun (averaged 43 more seconds of PP TOI/G).

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:

I don't think we have to worry about Boyle being around for a rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Demers 2 extra points could also be attributed to having 2 more PP points than Braun (averaged 43 more seconds of PP TOI/G).
Probably so but it's not that important. Braun had more confidence this season and Demers didn't. This team is best off keeping both of them and finding a way to deal with it until Boyle moves on or is moved and they start a rebuild. They're both solid guys now and have room for improvement.

Old
07-30-2012, 02:30 AM
sharski

Quote:

LOL I honestly don't get this... every post-game interview, win or lose he always seems pissed off at the team

sharski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:34 AM
oyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharski View Post
LOL I honestly don't get this... every post-game interview, win or lose he always seems pissed off at the team
Mentor != Leadership != Anger

oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:42 AM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

I like Demers better. I want to keep him since he has the potential to replace Boyle. Braun will max out as a #4. Demers had a sophomore slump and was playing with Colin White. He flourished the year before playing with Vlasic. I think he would do very good paired with Stuart. To me a Braun-Demers pairing has disaster written all over it.

I want to keep them both. Braun will be a 2nd PP guy. He doesn't have the offensive instincts that Demers has. He can get his shot through to the net and his shot is hard and accurate. Demers has moves and good offensive awareness.

Demers has the potential to develop into a less selfish Dan Boyle lite. Braun will be a solid #4 TWD.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:07 AM
Hertl Power

I think it is Demers. They are both young and still have inconsistency in their games. Bruan has a better slap shot but Demers has his half slap shot which he can get through holes and to the net fairtly regularly. Demers I think is slightly better at moving the puck. While Braun's defensive game was better last year what Demers did in the 2011 playoffs (especially against Detroit) with his hitting and presence before he got hurt showed just what he can do when he is playing his best. Because of that I just think he has an advantage.

Hertl Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:10 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
I've noticed a bit of a divide on our forum about these two young defensemen. Which one is better right now? I think Braun is better because he is more solid defensively, but Demers is more mobile and helps generate offense. What do you guys think?
Demers is shifty but not more mobile than Braun. Braun is definitely the faster skater between the 2.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:11 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
I like Demers better. I want to keep him since he has the potential to replace Boyle. Braun will max out as a #4. Demers had a sophomore slump and was playing with Colin White. He flourished the year before playing with Vlasic. I think he would do very good paired with Stuart. To me a Braun-Demers pairing has disaster written all over it.

I want to keep them both. Braun will be a 2nd PP guy. He doesn't have the offensive instincts that Demers has. He can get his shot through to the net and his shot is hard and accurate. Demers has moves and good offensive awareness.

Demers has the potential to develop into a less selfish Dan Boyle lite. Braun will be a solid #4 TWD.
What on earth makes you think that? They were very, very effective together toward the end of the year. They're perfectly capable of excelling together in 3rd pairing minutes.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 03:14 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Id be curious to see the difference in PP time as I thought Demers was given PP time while braun wasn't.

EDIT: Nevermind, just as I thought...

Last edited by NWShark*: 07-30-2012 at 03:25 AM.
Old
07-30-2012, 03:24 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post

I think there's no way in hell Demers develops into Boyle. Maybe at best a Boyle lite... real lite... He lacks the same drive IMO. Just too mellow. I think people watch him skate and see a similar stride and start comparing him to Boyle which is a dream frankly. Best bet for him IMO is second pairing after the rebuild. Braun can do it all though and could end up being a first pair with a more offensive defensman. He reminds me a little of Stuart back in the day without the huge hits. No lack of confidence and makes good plays.

But for right now I think they are a great choice as our 3rd pair. Braun is easily ready to be the horse for his pair and let demers gain his confident back. This D will be awesome as it stands right now and that's with Murray riding pine for some games. I think you swap Demers and Murray depending on the opponent. Braun plays all 82 though if healthy.

Old
07-30-2012, 03:44 AM
Hertl Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
What on earth makes you think that? They were very, very effective together toward the end of the year. They're perfectly capable of excelling together in 3rd pairing minutes.
My only problem with playing them together is that I think they both play better when on the right side. Outside of that they should be fine together. And hopefully this year they Sharks don't have a crappy vet that Koala can put in to make the team worse while scratching one of Demers or Braun like he has the last two seasons.

Hertl Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 04:15 AM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I agree. They're both mobile and know what to do with the puck offensively. Neither will be great defensively but Braun was becoming pretty defensively effective towards the end of the year. McLellan would likely give them very sheltered minutes as well.

Hell, with our current crop (or should I say crap) of bottom 6 forwards the best way to go may even be 7 defensemen. It gives us an opportunity to have 4 solid PKers and get Boyle away from it, but also have 4 solid PP dmen. In addition, probably my favorite due to entertainment value, would be that Murray could become a bit more chippy (he hits hard, but very clean) and fight some folks while leaving 6 defensemen on the ice.

Definitely not ideal, but if we go into the season as is it would be my lineup.

SnarkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote