HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Rochester Americans / Minors Thread '12-'13 Ed.

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 01:35 PM
sabrefan27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
My point is that, at least my thinking is, if he signed an ECHL deal, he couldn't get an AHL deal. If he couldn't get an AHL deal, that had to have been a reason for that. There are numerous reasons for why that may have happened and unless it comes out, which is highly unlikely, all I can do is speculate. Teams may have not been impressed with how he played in Europe, they might have had full rosters, or they may not have liked his time in Rochester. Pure speculation is that there is a chance that other teams were also not impressed with how he played in Rochester, regardless of when he played, who he played against, or what the coach did. Again it's pure speculation, but that's all that we as fans have to go on.
I'm not talking about MacIntyre today. We're talking about 1.5 years ago. It's like if the Sabres signed a big time free agent goalie, who was top 5 in the league. And then the guy never got to play 2 games in a row for almost 2 months. Fans would go nuts. This was no different.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
Away, PM another mod

vCash: 666
Hodgson (illness) and Foligno are being held out of tonight's game. Crawford, Legault (illness), MacKenzie (UBI still?) and Schofield (hip) are the other scratches tonight versus Syracuse. JGL and Parker are in the lineup, while Schiestel dresses as the twelfth forward. Leggio vs Tokarski in net.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:13 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
Away, PM another mod

Amerks lineup:

28 Zemgus Girgensons - 12 Kevin Porter (C) - 25 Mark Mancari (A)
74 Nick Tarnasky - 72 Luke Adam - 10 Brian Flynn
92 Kevin Sundher - 22 Phil Varone - 15 Evan Rankin
44 Drew Schiestel - 24 Jonathan Parker - 91 Frederick Roy

2 Joe Finley - 13 Mark Pysyk
3 TJ Brennan (A) - 34 Jerome Gauthier-Leduc
7 Brayden McNabb - 4 Alex Biega

33 David Leggio
49 Connor Knapp

Old
01-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
28 Zemgus Girgensons - 12 Kevin Porter (C) - 25 Mark Mancari (A)
74 Nick Tarnasky - 72 Luke Adam - 10 Brian Flynn
92 Kevin Sundher - 22 Phil Varone - 15 Evan Rankin
44 Drew Schiestel - 24 Jonathan Parker - 91 Frederick Roy

2 Joe Finley - 13 Mark Pysyk
3 TJ Brennan (A) - 34 Jerome Gauthier-Leduc
7 Brayden McNabb - 4 Alex Biega

33 David Leggio
49 Connor Knapp
Regier takes a look at this and thinks, "Gee, they have enough bodies. What's the problem?"

Old
01-10-2013, 07:09 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
Away, PM another mod

Wed Jan 9 - SYR 5 @ RCH 3

Syracuse enters the unknown with 5-3 win at Rochester:
Quote:
It’s fitting that Gauthier potted the game-winner at the 12:20 mark of the third, breaking a 3-3 tie. Connolly tried a wraparound that hit the pads of Amerks netminder David Leggio, and Gauthier was in good position on the other side to stuff in a rebound.
Quote:
Wyman got credit for the insurance goal with 1:49 left, when his pass attempt to Angelidis instead deflected off Amerks defenseman Phil Varone and into the Rochester net.
Quote:
The momentum started in the second, with markers from Panik and Angelidis. Panik snapped a 1-1 tie early in the period with a laser shot from the left point. The rip found an opening far side above Leggio’s glove at the 6:50 mark.

Angelidis pushed the margin to two goals with 9:06 left in the second. Alex Killorn jumped out of the penalty box and took charge in the Amerks end, sliding a pass to Angelidis on the right side. Angelidis had an open panel of space to target.
Post-lockout Amerks have some work to do:
Quote:
Too often this game was a calamity of giveaways, missed passes and mindless blankouts. Most alarmingly, however, was the ease in which the Crunch maintained offensive-zone pressure and puck control, how the Amerks struggled just to get into the Crunch zone, let alone maintain zone time for more than half a shift.
Quote:
The line of Phil Varone, Kevin Sundher and Evan Rankin was a combined minus-10 (3-4-3 as they’re listed), so clearly that combination wasn’t in sync quite yet.
Syracuse Crunch dominate Rochester Americans.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:41 AM
sabrefan27

Last night was pretty sad. I knew the Amerks wouldn't win, but there's an ocean between these teams. Syracuse is just in another league compared to the Amerks. You sit there and wonder how it's even possible that a professional hockey team has such a bad defense. Minutes and minutes on end with the Amerks unable to even gain possession of the puck.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:31 AM
Rammstein816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
I'm not talking about MacIntyre today. We're talking about 1.5 years ago.
I was never talking about MacIntyre 1.5 years ago. Past is past. What has he done lately? I was talking about how much other AHL weighed in Rolston's unique coaching tactics into their decision to not sign MacIntyre last week. I'm sure they knew he was available to sign.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:02 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
I was never talking about MacIntyre 1.5 years ago. Past is past. What has he done lately? I was talking about how much other AHL weighed in Rolston's unique coaching tactics into their decision to not sign MacIntyre last week. I'm sure they knew he was available to sign.
The entire conversation you came into was revolving around last year. So I didn't see the relevancy of this year.

Why would the Amerks bring in MacIntyre? They have 3 goalies under contract. And he's not getting work elsewhere because teams have their lineups set, especially in goal. Maybe the lockout ending changes that. I'm sure he'll get an AHL look at some point this season.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
Regier takes a look at this and thinks, "Gee, they have enough bodies. What's the problem?"
True. He's probably thinking "Hey, I have three other forwards still under contract who could play!" in Sydlowski, Boychuk, and Lagace regardless of their inability to make a difference at the AHL level basically ever. The defense is a mess. I wonder if Pardy (if assigned/cleared) will make much of a difference.

01-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
Away, PM another mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
True. He's probably thinking "Hey, I have three other forwards still under contract who could play!" in Sydlowski, Boychuk, and Lagace regardless of their inability to make a difference at the AHL level basically ever. The defense is a mess. I wonder if Pardy (if assigned/cleared) will make much of a difference.
It doesn't make me feel any better hearing that the Buffalo staff has been working individually with players all the while AND they're still playing like this. Idk if they have too many cooks in the kitchen or what, but whatever they're doing is not cutting down on the mistakes. Last night's defense was pretty comical.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Rammstein816

Quote:
The entire conversation you came into was revolving around last year. So I didn't see the relevancy of this year.

Why would the Amerks bring in MacIntyre? They have 3 goalies under contract. And he's not getting work elsewhere because teams have their lineups set, especially in goal. Maybe the lockout ending changes that. I'm sure he'll get an AHL look at some point this season.
That's not a conversation I cared to enter. I wanted to make an observation and I made it, which was in relation to where he sits today. I agree. He'll have to prove himself all over again in the ECHL to get his chance.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:30 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
It doesn't make me feel any better hearing that the Buffalo staff has been working individually with players all the while AND they're still playing like this. Idk if they have too many cooks in the kitchen or what, but whatever they're doing is not cutting down on the mistakes. Last night's defense was pretty comical.
No amount of coaching is going to help this defense, IMO. It's a personnel problem. You would hope the coaching could at least cut down on some mistakes, but they've gotten worse.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:15 PM
UncleBenny

Just don't understand how they got SO bad on defense this year, its basically the same guys as last year with no Morrisonn and McKee. So if its not the coaching, you'd think adding a true stay at home vet D to finally replace Morrisonn would be the answer.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:52 PM
hockey18

listen to your self. IF the d was better last year and now after getting the coaching, and they are all worse, how is it the personel? Doesn't make any sense. A veteran D guy isn't going to make a difference. THey have plenty of talent there now that needs to be taught/educated. IF that was done, it would be much better

Old
01-10-2013, 02:01 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey18 View Post
listen to your self. IF the d was better last year and now after getting the coaching, and they are all worse, how is it the personel? Doesn't make any sense. A veteran D guy isn't going to make a difference. THey have plenty of talent there now that needs to be taught/educated. IF that was done, it would be much better
This is just wrong on many levels. A good veteran defenseman would make a world of difference. And if Pardy comes down, you'll see that.

It's a personnel problem. Nobody on defense is strong in their own end. Finely is very good with a competent partner. But he doesn't have one. Pysyk is up and down. The rest are garbage.

And the defense wasn't good last year, either. But they had Morrisonn and a less talented league. They lost Morrisonn, added nothing significant and went into a locked out AHL. Not surprisingly, they got worse.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:21 PM
hockey18

when good players dont' get better but regress, veteran d guys isn't dealing with the problem . THere are prospects that are high picks not progressing, they are degressing, what does that have to do with a veteran d guy? Mcnabb was nhl ready last year, where is he now? prospects should be progressing in there development, they are not. Finley has had several partners and his d isn't much better and his game has not progressed either. There is a common thread to all of it

Old
01-10-2013, 02:30 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey18 View Post
when good players dont' get better but regress, veteran d guys isn't dealing with the problem . THere are prospects that are high picks not progressing, they are degressing, what does that have to do with a veteran d guy? Mcnabb was nhl ready last year, where is he now? prospects should be progressing in there development, they are not. Finley has had several partners and his d isn't much better and his game has not progressed either. There is a common thread to all of it
The coaching is terrible, but Scotty Bowman couldn't make this group a sound defensive unit. Who, out of that whole group, is good defensively? I'll save you the time - no one.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:06 PM
AmerksPuck

Quote:
The coaching is terrible, but Scotty Bowman couldn't make this group a sound defensive unit. Who, out of that whole group, is good defensively? I'll save you the time - no one.
Finley probably has the worst skills I have seen this year in the AHL. He is a huge problem on why we can't break the puck out of our own zone. That being said, there is a spot for a guy with his size and strength on our team. Hal Gill has no skill and is basically just a big body who makes the simple play and he has made a pretty nice NHL career out of it. If he keeps it simple, he can be OK.

The amount of turnovers and odd man rushes given up by our D is inexcusable. Gauthier-Leduc and McNabb have been the 2 worst IMO (and they are both on the PP). I think there is something there with Biega. Pysyk has been hot and cold as previously mentioned. Brennan is what he is, can't really knock him too much given his offensive production but is by no means solid in his own end.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:13 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerksPuck View Post
Finley probably has the worst skills I have seen this year in the AHL. He is a huge problem on why we can't break the puck out of our own zone. That being said, there is a spot for a guy with his size and strength on our team. Hal Gill has no skill and is basically just a big body who makes the simple play and he has made a pretty nice NHL career out of it. If he keeps it simple, he can be OK.

The amount of turnovers and odd man rushes given up by our D is inexcusable. Gauthier-Leduc and McNabb have been the 2 worst IMO (and they are both on the PP). I think there is something there with Biega. Pysyk has been hot and cold as previously mentioned. Brennan is what he is, can't really knock him too much given his offensive production but is by no means solid in his own end.
I actually think Finley makes a good, crisp and accurate outlet pass.

Agreed with the rest. JGL just isn't ready for this league defensively.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
Away, PM another mod

In one of the Abbotsford games I remember grumbling again to myself about their gap control, as it was both Biega and Crawford having loose gaps that allowed attacking forwards to gain the middle of the ice and create chances/goals for the opposition.

I also find that McNabb and Finley can take themselves out of the play from time-to-time, especially with their slow recovery speed (again, reach only does so much). McNabb often gets caught up high, attempting a check near our blue line, while Finley gets penalized, sometimes unjustly, for engaging players in the corners, but with our forwards often trailing a third attacker, they'll give up a quick chance, rebound or goal. Leggio has made his fair share of point-blank saves in these circumstances or it could be worse.

Brennan's problem for me is mainly his giveaways, but he creates enough chances at the other end to make up for it at this level. He's not afraid to throw checks either, but I do feel his stick could be better at times and it wouldn't hurt if he keeps his feet moving more, as I often see him stretched with a weak poke-check attempt as an opponent goes either around or through him to make a play. He's also prone to some dumb and/or retaliatory penalties.

JGL and Pysyk are going through peaks and valleys as any rookie does, but JGL is a step behind the pack right now in identifying loose pucks and trailing attackers. This is not surprising since no one said defense was his strong suit. Their turnovers are typically less egregious, but nonetheless giveaway possession cheaply.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:41 PM
French Connection

Quote:
This is just wrong on many levels. A good veteran defenseman would make a world of difference. And if Pardy comes down, you'll see that.

It's a personnel problem. Nobody on defense is strong in their own end. Finely is very good with a competent partner. But he doesn't have one. Pysyk is up and down. The rest are garbage.

And the defense wasn't good last year, either. But they had Morrisonn and a less talented league. They lost Morrisonn, added nothing significant and went into a locked out AHL. Not surprisingly, they got worse.
He is very good? Its amazing that everybody has a different view on players.

As for the rest being garbage, I guess see my first comment that everybody has a different view on players.

This is not so much a player thing as a coach thing as this did not happen in Portland.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:49 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Connection View Post
He is very good? Its amazing that everybody has a different view on players.

As for the rest being garbage, I guess see my first comment that everybody has a different view on players.

This is not so much a player thing as a coach thing as this did not happen in Portland.
I said Finley is very good with a competent partner. He played with Morrisonn last year and was terrific.

Portland had different players. Obviously a ridiculous comparison. The coaching sucks, but to not pin the majority of this on the players is just wrong.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:28 PM
hockeylover1

Four of the seven defencemen on amerks roster where with Portland. Coaching was great because you could see the improvements from the start of the season until the end. You could see the improvement in Brennan Scheistal and rookies Beiga and Crawford. Beiga and Crawford also had good point production without power play time. Media covering Portland mentioned that due to the time Portland D coach spent with the defence men and his experience was the reason for their improvement.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:29 PM
sabrefan27

Schiestel doesn't play defense and Crawford rarely does. Finley, JGL, Pysyk, McNabb weren't on Portland.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:43 PM
hockeylover1

Four of the seven defencemen on amerks roster where with Portland. Coaching was great because you could see the improvements from the start of the season until the end. You could see the improvement in Brennan Scheistal and rookies Beiga and Crawford. Beiga and Crawford also had good point production without power play time. Media covering Portland mentioned that due to the time Portland D coach spent with the defence men and his experience was the reason for their improvement.

Closed Thread