HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rochester Americans / Minors Thread '12-'13 Ed.

Closed Thread

Old
08-21-2012, 12:22 PM
Tra La La

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
Grig can't , girgensons probably will be bumped to the dub. Adam, tropp, Foligno would all start down as would likely Cody Hodgson and others on ELC
With NHL chl transfer agreement expired I think they plan to. All most all the first round picks signed elc's this year. You would think if they were proposing 5 year elc's they would wait till a new CBA, and take advantage. Something is brewing.

Last edited by Tra La La: 08-21-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old
08-21-2012, 04:32 PM
sabrefan27

Interesting info coming from Lindsey Kramer (Crunch beat writer).

Clarification from Crunch GM BriseBois: If there's NHL lockout, there are no waivers. Therefore anyone requiring waivers can't be sent down.

So this would mean Mancari, Tarnaski and Brennan couldn't be sent down. I don't remember this being the case during the last lockout.

Old
08-22-2012, 06:56 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra La La View Post
With NHL chl transfer agreement expired I think they plan to. All most all the first round picks signed elc's this year. You would think if they were proposing 5 year elc's they would wait till a new CBA, and take advantage. Something is brewing.
They're signing now because they stand to lose a ton of money if ELC's go to 5 years.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
They're signing now because they stand to lose a ton of money if ELC's go to 5 years.
Exactly.

I'll take 3 years at ELC money, with a shot at potentially 2 different RFA raises as opposed to being locked in for 5 years at ELC money.

You would be a fool to take 5 years.

Old
09-12-2012, 01:53 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Apparently teams may place guys on waivers to make them eligible for the AHL before the CBA expires. So we should hear shortly if the Sabres do so and for whom (would they risk it with Brennan? Pardy?)

Old
09-12-2012, 02:06 PM
sabrefan27

Kevin O doesn't think the Sabres will send Hodgson to the Amerks, which will be sure to anger many Amerks fans.

Brennan will definitely be on waivers along with Mancari, Tarnasky, Porter, Biega, Leggio etc.

Old
09-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Apparently teams may place guys on waivers to make them eligible for the AHL before the CBA expires. So we should hear shortly if the Sabres do so and for whom (would they risk it with Brennan? Pardy?)
I can't imagine there being much poaching. There very rarely is, anyways, but a team doing that is asking for reciprocation. My guess is that waiver period is extremely uneventful, and this turns out to be little more than a pro forma exercise.

Old
09-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Kevin O doesn't think the Sabres will send Hodgson to the Amerks, which will be sure to anger many Amerks fans.

Brennan will definitely be on waivers along with Mancari, Tarnasky, Porter, Biega, Leggio etc.
Will it? I suppose your statement presumes Amerks fans were expecting Hodgson in the first place, and I'm having a hard time envisioning that. I'm certainly an Amerks fans, and my daydreamed lineups never had Hodgson anchoring the first line for the mere fact that I didn't see it as a likely possibility.

If anything, while Regier justifiably deserves some flak from Amerks fans, this strikes me as a contrived reason to be angry at Buffalo management.

Old
09-12-2012, 03:42 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Will it? I suppose your statement presumes Amerks fans were expecting Hodgson in the first place, and I'm having a hard time envisioning that. I'm certainly an Amerks fans, and my daydreamed lineups never had Hodgson anchoring the first line for the mere fact that I didn't see it as a likely possibility.

If anything, while Regier justifiably deserves some flak from Amerks fans, this strikes me as a contrived reason to be angry at Buffalo management.
I think most fans I know expected him in Rochester if there's a lockout. I guess it'll depend what other teams do. If guys similar to his situation are assigned to the AHL and Hodgson is not, I think there is a legitimate gripe. If those guys aren't, then I can't blame Regier.

Old
09-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Zip15

Quote:
I think most fans I know expected him in Rochester if there's a lockout. I guess it'll depend what other teams do. If guys similar to his situation are assigned to the AHL and Hodgson is not, I think there is a legitimate gripe. If those guys aren't, then I can't blame Regier.
I guess I'll look at it on a case-by-case basis. There's some talk that Philly may throw Schenn and Couturier to Adirondack. They're obviously both very good players, and I'm sure some would point to them as players as good or better than Hodgson who were sent to the AHL. But there are other factors at work, too. For instance, if Schenn got hurt and missed NHL time when/if the season begins, Philly still has Giroux-Briere-Couturier down the middle; if Hodgson gets hurt, Buffalo has...Ennis? Risk management is a factor.

Or perhaps the Sabres want him to go overseas and play with other NHL players in a league they view as better than the AHL. A lot of things could be in play there.

Old
09-12-2012, 06:31 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I guess I'll look at it on a case-by-case basis. There's some talk that Philly may throw Schenn and Couturier to Adirondack. They're obviously both very good players, and I'm sure some would point to them as players as good or better than Hodgson who were sent to the AHL. But there are other factors at work, too. For instance, if Schenn got hurt and missed NHL time when/if the season begins, Philly still has Giroux-Briere-Couturier down the middle; if Hodgson gets hurt, Buffalo has...Ennis? Risk management is a factor.

Or perhaps the Sabres want him to go overseas and play with other NHL players in a league they view as better than the AHL. A lot of things could be in play there.
Is Couturier AHL eligible? Dunno when his birthdate is.

Old
09-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Is Couturier AHL eligible? Dunno when his birthdate is.
Yeah, barely. He turns 20 on December 7th.

Old
09-13-2012, 03:26 PM
sabrefan27

As Kevin O reminded me, don't forget Spezza, Weiss, Bouwmeester and Staal playing in the AHL in 04-05. Spezza and Bouwmeester were much more established NHLers and Staal was more similar to Hodgson's situation.

I don't see the negative in sending him down, getting some confidence in his game while playing with teammates/future teammates in an atmosphere they can control.

Old
09-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
As Kevin O reminded me, don't forget Spezza, Weiss, Bouwmeester and Staal playing in the AHL in 04-05. Spezza and Bouwmeester were much more established NHLers and Staal was more similar to Hodgson's situation.

I don't see the negative in sending him down, getting some confidence in his game while playing with teammates/future teammates in an atmosphere they can control.
Other than him possibly getting better experience playing with/against tougher competition elsewhere, I don't see an issue with him being in Rochester.

Old
09-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Blue n Gold Forever

Hodgson is still on his entry level contract. I think it is a reasonable expectation on the part of Amerks fans to see him in Rochester during the lockout. Whether that comes to fruition is another issue.

If Hodgson does not go to Rochester, then the Sabres better do something to sign another scorer for the Amerks.

Old
09-13-2012, 05:49 PM
barcs

A year being mentored under Rolston > A year being mentored overseas by a guy with English as a 2nd or 3rd language

Old
09-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcs View Post
A year being mentored under Rolston > A year being mentored overseas by a guy with English as a 2nd or 3rd language
If half the NHL is in Europe this season, who his coach is makes little difference.

Old
09-14-2012, 11:51 AM
sabrefan27

Looking at who other teams have sent down already, the precedent seems to have been set for players like Hodgson to be assigned to the AHL.

Old
09-14-2012, 12:38 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

If the Sabres plan on exposing players to waivers to send them down, today would be the day. Though they might try to sign them to AHL contracts for the lockout instead of risking waivers.

Old
09-14-2012, 12:43 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
If the Sabres plan on exposing players to waivers to send them down, today would be the day. Though they might try to sign them to AHL contracts for the lockout instead of risking waivers.
As usual, the Sabres are one of the last teams in the league to do so. Seems like most teams have already sent down the majority of their AHL rosters.

Old
09-14-2012, 12:48 PM
jfb392

Quote:
They can only do that for players that played in the AHL last year or were on the clear day list.

Old
09-14-2012, 01:35 PM
jfb392

Porter and Tarnasky are on waivers, per TSN.

Old
09-14-2012, 01:44 PM
sabrefan27

So where does that leave Mancari, Leggio and Brennan? Maybe they'll just sign AHL deals.

Old
09-14-2012, 01:48 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
As usual, the Sabres are one of the last teams in the league to do so. Seems like most teams have already sent down the majority of their AHL rosters.
Counting in the main board, 16 teams place players on waivers prior to today.

So almost half the league waited until today. But go on, keep finding reasons to blame the Sabres...not like there was any advantage to waiving them yesterday..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
They can only do that for players that played in the AHL last year or were on the clear day list.
So I assume that means Brennan, Leggio, Schofield, Mancari, Biega, and Finley will get sent down via AHL contracts. Not sure how that affects re-entry waivers, or if they'd have to pass waivers when the NHL resumes. My hunch is they probably didn't want to risk a team taking a flyer on a guy like Brennan when there are no roster size limitations right now.

Old
09-14-2012, 01:53 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Counting in the main board, 16 teams place players on waivers prior to today.

So almost half the league waited until today. But go on, keep finding reasons to blame the Sabres...not like there was any advantage to waiving them yesterday..

So I assume that means Brennan, Leggio, Schofield, Mancari, Biega, and Finley will get sent down via AHL contracts. Not sure how that affects re-entry waivers, or if they'd have to pass waivers when the NHL resumes. My hunch is they probably didn't want to risk a team taking a flyer on a guy like Brennan when there are no roster size limitations right now.
Well, Schofield is on an AHL contract already.

The rest of them will presumably get AHL contracts because they all played in the AHL last season.
Porter and Tarnasky didn't, hence them being on waivers.

Closed Thread