HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Gryba resigns with Sens (2 yr. 2-way contract)

Old
07-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Fusbolito

vCash: 500
Eric Gryba resigns with Sens (2 yr. 2-way contract)

As per the official website: http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=638183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official website
OTTAWA - The Ottawa Senators announced today the club has signed defenceman Eric Gryba to a two-year, two-way contract.

Gryba, 24, spent last season with the American Hockey League’s Binghamton Senators, where he established professional career highs in goals (5), assists (15) and games (73) while recording 98 penalty minutes.

The 6-4, 222-pound, Gryba has scored nine goals, 19 assists and amassed 230 penalty minutes in 145 career AHL games, all with the B-Sens. He had one assist in 10 playoff games, helping Binghamton capture the Calder Cup in 2010-11.

A native of Saskatoon, Gryba was Senators’ third-round pick (68th overall) in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.
Any thoughts? I haven't heard much about Gryba in the positive or negative category since he was drafted, but I didn't really pay attention to Bingo stuff until last year.

Fusbolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Awesome!

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:19 PM
SpezDispenser

Very nice!

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:20 PM
topshelfie

should have kept brian lee or gilroy

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:34 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
should have kept brian lee or gilroy
Why? Maybe Brian Lee I guess, but Lundin should be as good or better as a 6th guy. And if he can't cut it, then Boroweicki is instantly a better option than Brian Lee IMO - and I liked Brian Lee lol.

Gilroy flat out sucked here....didn't want him back even if it was for free.

...and what does Brian Lee or Gilroy have to do with Gryba re-signing anyway? If anything this may force Claesson or Wideman to the press box in Bingo - or even to Elmira.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 02:51 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Only two years?

BUST.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:30 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Unless this is a sign and trade for Brian Lee I am PISSED.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Laoghaire

Peter Chiarelli's Legacy still stands.

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:40 PM
sens83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusbolito View Post
As per the official website: http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=638183

Any thoughts? I haven't heard much about Gryba in the positive or negative category since he was drafted, but I didn't really pay attention to Bingo stuff until last year.
He needs more work. He improved his game last season but still needs to work on a few things. He will be down on the farm again this season no doubt. Good news for us because he can be a solid shutdown defenseman. His puck handling and decision making needs work.

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:51 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

I still have no idea what to make of this kid. Seems to me like the kind of player who has a cup of coffee in the NHL before disappearing forever. Depth guy at best.

Am I wrong, here? I fully admit to not following his development path as much as some other kids while he's been a prospect with us. A sort of "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" thing.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:55 PM
sens83

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I still have no idea what to make of this kid. Seems to me like the kind of player who has a cup of coffee in the NHL before disappearing forever. Depth guy at best.

Am I wrong, here? I fully admit to not following his development path as much as some other kids while he's been a prospect with us. A sort of "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" thing.
He has potential to make a low-end NHL team, but I doubt he amounts to anything greater than a Matt Carkner type defenseman, minus the fighting/enforcing.

Old
07-18-2012, 03:55 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:

TMurr seems to be very high on him.

Defenceman like him sometimes take a while to develop. Look at guys like Rob Scuderi, considered a scrub early in his career until he finally is able to adapt. I'm hoping sort of the same thing happens with Gryba. Getting faster is pretty important to his development though.

WasTeD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 03:56 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
TMurr seems to be very high on him.

Defenceman like him sometimes take a while to develop. Look at guys like Rob Scuderi, considered a scrub early in his career until he finally is able to adapt. I'm hoping sort of the same thing happens with Gryba. Getting faster is pretty important to his development though.
Yeah, I hope he's got a Scuderi-like ceiling. It's kind of hit-or-miss if he ever gets there, though.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:19 PM
source

A very solid depth signing. He may be serviceable as a #6 in 2013-2014.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Canuckman44

Just has never been given a chance to show anything. Was one of our top 2 d-men here in Binghamtom and logged tons of quality icetime. If anything, the other high draft picks are given an opportunity based on just that.. draft picks. I wish he would get a shot to prove me right or disprove me wrong instead of being buried here in Bingo.

Canuckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Proust

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens83 View Post
He has potential to make a low-end NHL team, but I doubt he amounts to anything greater than a Matt Carkner type defenseman, minus the fighting/enforcing.
But, but, I was told he would be a more physical Chris Phillips!

Proust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Molson86

Big body with zero toughness..Gets pushed around a lot.

Molson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:43 PM
N Bahn Ahden

I'm surprised he'd agree to a two way deal for two years. Good deal for us, because at worst he's a solid guy in Bingo.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:52 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Bahn Ahden View Post
I'm surprised he'd agree to a two way deal for two years. Good deal for us, because at worst he's a solid guy in Bingo.
Why are you surprised? Do you think he is NHL ready? Our management talks him up a lot so he must feel like he will get a good and fair chance here.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 06:23 PM
gbl1p

good to see the Murrays not giving up on a prospect. Has the potential to be a tough defenseman in his own end, but needs some serious growing up on the pro front. Needs to redefine his work off the ice to give himself a chance.

gbl1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 07:25 PM
DefenseMinister

Quote:

It wasn't that long ago that the Sens management and coaches talked about Gryba the way they now talk about Borowiecki. If he puts together a strong season in Bingo (and he should be given all the top shut down assignments) then he'll be in the mix for an NHL callup in the very near future.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 11:30 PM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Why are you surprised? Do you think he is NHL ready? Our management talks him up a lot so he must feel like he will get a good and fair chance here.
No, I certainly don't think that. But he is a guy that is probably looking for a shot in the NHL, and he may be feeling that it's not going to happen in Ottawa. One year wouldn't have surprised me at all, and then look outside the organization. It's agreeing to the second year.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 11:37 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
I read somewhere he has UFA options if he took a 1 year deal and didn't play a minimum of something like 15 games in the N. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was the same as the Bishop situation.

WasTeD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:18 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbl1p View Post
good to see the Murrays not giving up on a prospect. Has the potential to be a tough defenseman in his own end, but needs some serious growing up on the pro front. Needs to redefine his work off the ice to give himself a chance.
I don't think his work off the ice is an issue. It wasn't long ago he was the hardest worker at his development camps and he's genuinely known to be a behemoth in the gym like Greening and Boro. Its more the mental side of the game. From what I saw in Bingo, he just makes terrible decisions at times that put his team down. His skating could probably use some work too. These aren't things that will be easy to improve at his age and size but hopefully a little more AHL experience will help with his decision making, positioning and general defensive awareness. Not everyone can learn these things but I'm still hopeful he can be a Carkner type guy down the road.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:40 AM
sens83

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
I don't think his work off the ice is an issue. It wasn't long ago he was the hardest worker at his development camps and he's genuinely known to be a behemoth in the gym like Greening and Boro. Its more the mental side of the game. From what I saw in Bingo, he just makes terrible decisions at times that put his team down. His skating could probably use some work too. These aren't things that will be easy to improve at his age and size but hopefully a little more AHL experience will help with his decision making, positioning and general defensive awareness. Not everyone can learn these things but I'm still hopeful he can be a Carkner type guy down the road.
This is a pretty fair and accurate assessment.