HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shea Weber agrees to 14-Year, $110M offer sheet with Flyers. NSH matches

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 01:12 AM
I am Canadian
Foreverly Hopeful

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
Nothing, but what's the point of doing it if you gain nothing?

I think unless you have a realistic shot at getting the player, there is no point to offersheeting him.

If I was told any offersheet would be matched, then I wouldn't bother with it because I wouldn't get the player.

But that's just me.
You make it sound like it's 100% guarenteed that Nashville matches.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
Nothing, but what's the point of doing it if you gain nothing?

I think unless you have a realistic shot at getting the player, there is no point to offersheeting him.

If I was told any offersheet would be matched, then I wouldn't bother with it because I wouldn't get the player.

But that's just me.
The only way you know for sure if it's matched is to do it. Talk is cheap really. Wasn't that the thinking in the Kessel situation? Boston said they would match. If Boston was all talk (like I think they were) they would have received a 1st, 2nd and 3rd NOT two 1st's and a 2nd. Chiarelli outsmarted Burke.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:13 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs at Knight View Post
Ah gotcha. Wasn't the league looking into getting rid of these type of contracts ? Maybe I just read something wrong..
Yeah, I heard that also. I heard it from Burke. He said he was going to discuss it. I don't know if anyone else talked about it. I think they might look at it come this CBA, but it will be difficult to control unless they put a maximum number of years a contract can be signed, which seems unfair to the players and maybe somewhat arbitrary.

Even if though, as history has shown, no matter what restrictions are put in, the GM's will find a way around it.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:14 AM
Aplayaz2000

Philly = target

Old
07-19-2012, 01:14 AM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
Bottom line is Holmgrean is trying to make his team better.
If the Preds match, the Flyers also don't lose anything. Other than handcuffing the Preds in the future.
But if you know it's not going to make your team better, because the team will match, then it's a waste of time.

I don't think it handcuffs the preds, they get weber on a reasonable cap hit if they match.

Like I said above, it's just my view on offersheets. They should only be used if you actually have a shot at acquiring the player.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:16 AM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The only way you know for sure if it's matched is to do it. Talk is cheap really. Wasn't that the thinking in the Kessel situation? Boston said they would match. If Boston was all talk (like I think they were) they would have received a 1st, 2nd and 3rd NOT two 1st's and a 2nd. Chiarelli outsmarted Burke.
Well I think they weren't all talk, and I think they would have matched.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:17 AM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Canadian View Post
What do they lose?
Polie will never trade with Holmgren again after this.
I like it this way better - without collusions by GM who don't offersheet.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:22 AM
Count Von Grabo*

Can the league step in and stop it?

Old
07-19-2012, 01:22 AM
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
Quote:

Old
07-19-2012, 01:24 AM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant Gardiner View Post
No... on what grounds? Perfectly fine, probably won't be 6 months from now, but nothing wrong here.

edit: Well technically they can reject any contract, but it'd never stand once it was grieved by the union, so moot.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Old
07-19-2012, 01:26 AM
PasDaSquini

This is not what I expected before going to sleep. Weber is done in NSH. Even if NSH matches why have a player who does not have interest in playing for your team. Smart thing to do would take to Philly to see if they can get a better package(Prospects and roster players that would be able to play next season) than the 4 first round picks. At least some team is having a worst offseason than the Leafs.

Quote:
Its called maintaining a good reputation. Burke could have given up less assets for Kessel but he wants to maintain his rep; I understand it not sound like much but reputation goes along way. Also Chiarelli did not even think that he would end up with 2nd overall.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:29 AM
Dark Knight
Lawson Crouse

One thing is for sure, as ridiculous as this contract is, Holmgren has balls.

14 years!

This is ******** stuff!

07-19-2012, 01:37 AM
HellasLEAF
Coach Babcock :D

4 1st rounders though...

Old
07-19-2012, 01:41 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PasDaSquini View Post
This is not what I expected before going to sleep. Weber is done in NSH. Even if NSH matches why have a player who does not have interest in playing for your team.
If Weber wasn't interested in playing for Nashville, why would he sign this career-spanning offer sheet if he knew there was a real possibility Nashville would match?

Old
07-19-2012, 01:46 AM

Quote:
This is not what I expected before going to sleep. Weber is done in NSH. Even if NSH matches why have a player who does not have interest in playing for your team. Smart thing to do would take to Philly to see if they can get a better package(Prospects and roster players that would be able to play next season) than the 4 first round picks. At least some team is having a worst offseason than the Leafs.
Apparently the Flyers had been in talks with the Preds for Weber and Holmgren was getting tired of them going no where. Thus, he does what he has to do to make his team better.
Now that the OS is in, there is no more negotiating (AFAIK) and Nashville either takes the 4 picks or matches. If they match, they can't trade Weber for 365 days.

Quote:
Its called maintaining a good reputation. Burke could have given up less assets for Kessel but he wants to maintain his rep; I understand it not sound like much but reputation goes along way. Also Chiarelli did not even think that he would end up with 2nd overall.
I don't think Homers reputation will be hurt with this OS for Weber.
The job of a GM is to make your team better. To hell with being a nice guy. And I don't think BB reputation would have suffered if he OS Kessel. Or Stamkos for that matter.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
4 1st rounders though...
Chances are those four 1st rounders will be 20th to 30th. Wouldn't you give up that for Weber?
I would in a heartbeat. But then I would have given four up for Stamkos.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:53 AM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:

Kesler signed an offersheet with St. Louis I believe couple years ago and he's still plays for Vancouver and even signed a big extention with Vancouver so this doesn't mean Weber would want out, maybe he just wants to get paid which is what he will get now.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:54 AM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant Gardiner View Post
The only loophole that NSH could use is that the Weber signing is the basis of a Pronger replacement.

CBA Article 50.10 section D (iii)

Quote:
The total replacement player salary and bonuses for a player or players that have replaced an unfit-to-play player may not in the aggregate exceed the amount of the player salary and bonuses of the unfit-to-play player who the club is replacing

Old
07-19-2012, 02:03 AM
lebdafor norris
sleepy

I wonder what was the offer Philly made before they got impatient, I would have to guess Couturier was part of the deal.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:07 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
The only loophole that NSH could use is that the Weber signing is the basis of a Pronger replacement.

CBA Article 50.10 section D (iii)
Pretty sure that's for LTIR. If the Flyers get Weber, my bet is Pronger retires.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:14 AM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Pretty sure that's for LTIR. If the Flyers get Weber, my bet is Pronger retires.
Once I heard the news tonight that's exactly the first thing which came to my mind.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:24 AM
HoBOonFiRE

"Nashville GM Dave Poile has gone on record and said he will absolutely match any offer a team sends Shea Weber."

Got this quote from another board..not sure where it is originally from.

Old
07-19-2012, 03:13 AM
edwardslane

could Philly fit Both Pronger and Webber under the cap if pronger came back healthy from mid season to playoffs?

Could you imagine.. Pronger, Webber, Schenn on the back end..

I'd hate to be an opposing forward against that group! can you say beatin to a pulp? Intimidating D??? I think so

Old
07-19-2012, 03:39 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

HOLY **** that is insane. Can't believe it. Holmgren crazy.

07-19-2012, 03:45 AM
rawsensation
The College Dropout

**** is going down, gonna be interesting to see what happens in the coming week.

Closed Thread