HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Central News: Preds match Weber OS (14 Years, $100+ Million)

Old
07-19-2012, 12:39 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
I am trying to find something he is good at other than turning the puck over.
Heh, now you see what us Winnipeg fans saw during the first half.

You can keep him!

Personally I think Rinne will have a much tougher time without the likes of Suter and Weber in front of him holding down the zone. He is a good goaltender but even good goalies cave when they are being peppered.

This deal is sickening, I've never been a fan of these long term ridiculous deals.

ajmidd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:39 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
The Preds have to match this...whatever it takes. They can't lose two of the best defensemen in the NHL in the same summer, for only 4 low first rounders.
That all makes perfect sense, but when you're talking about paying nearly half the net worth of the franchise to one player in the first 6 years, I mean, that just doesn't sound right.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
That all makes perfect sense, but when you're talking about paying nearly half the net worth of the franchise to one player in the first 6 years, I mean, that just doesn't sound right.
The alternative is telling your fan base that you have no intention of making a serious run at winning the the Cup.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 190
Quote:
The alternative is telling your fan base that you have no intention of making a serious run at winning the the Cup.
Or you package those 1st rounders for other assets and tell fans you are heading in new direction

They still have Rinne and some solid young pieces

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Or you package those 1st rounders for other assets and tell fans you are heading in new direction

They still have Rinne and some solid young pieces
Right - but you need some stars to wins cup. Eventually they'll have to pay the next guys that get good.

I thin they will match. they just have to pool the money they were going to spend on both Suter and weber together..whatever, they need to do it.

Also I wonder if the NHL is fine with this deal being so front loaded? I thought they were getting away from some of these extreme deals?

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:58 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Agreed, I mean, if I was them, and I decided the money structure was too messed up, I work out a trade with Philly and they use some of those assets to get Yandle or Ryan. Obviously no guarantees but no doubt, they would need to do something else very big right away if they lose Weber.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

Quote:
Right - but you need some stars to wins cup. Eventually they'll have to pay the next guys that get good.

I thin they will match. they just have to pool the money they were going to spend on both Suter and weber together..whatever, they need to do it.

Also I wonder if the NHL is fine with this deal being so front loaded? I thought they were getting away from some of these extreme deals?
Or as some are speculating they pull a Phi/TB of late 90's and get some of Flyers young NHL talent instead of 1st's

Basically send those first's right back to Phi for a package built around Schenn's or others

Old
07-19-2012, 01:23 PM
xX Hot Fuss

I have to think Weber signing this offer sheet means that he really wouldn't mind staying in Nashville. Otherwise, why risk signing something NSH can match?

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 01:25 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
I have to think Weber signing this offer sheet means that he really wouldn't mind staying in Nashville. Otherwise, why risk signing something NSH can match?
Who says that Nashville CAN match? First 4 years are almost $20M each on average.

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 01:32 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
He probably was willing to resign for this exact deal, Preds said it was way too front loaded, he got a team willing to give it to him, signed, really good for all involved, Weber gets the deal he wants, and if Nashville loses him, they get compensation instead of nothing or whatever they could have gotten at the TD.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

Quote:
With the new CBA coming and the NHL's obvious desire to do away with these type of contracts this was probably his only chance to ever get a contract like this

Old
07-19-2012, 02:08 PM
CPHawksFan
That's Hockey Baby!!

Quote:
And he wouldn't mind playing in Philly, either. I think if a team like Columbus sent him this offer sheet, he wouldn't sign it because he at least wants a chance to win a Cup.

CPHawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Really? You're going to say that Detroit loses more than Nashville this off-season? Stuart didn't want to be in Detroit and Lidstrom was 42 and clearly not the same D-man he once was. Nashville just lost more.
as of now, it's DET. In a week, it's both lost big time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Preds wont fade into obscurity ,, They still have good prospect pool and Vezina caliber goalie in Rinne

They may take a step back but they wont fall apart
They already needed to add star forwards that make a difference to win anything. Now they lost Suter and most likely Weber. No way Rinne & trotz can pull a wonder and be anything more than a #8 seed and 1st round sweep

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:47 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
as of now, it's DET. In a week, it's both lost big time

They already needed to add star forwards that make a difference to win anything. Now they lost Suter and most likely Weber. No way Rinne & trotz can pull a wonder and be anything more than a #8 seed and 1st round sweep
They're also loving two of their best offensive players in Radulov and Kostitsyn which are NOT addition by subtraction despite the Russian-hating media's beliefs.

WarriorofTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

They lost already, no doubt about it. Preds aren't that good anymore.

If the Flyers get him, I would try to get Hartnell

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:34 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Who says that Nashville CAN match? First 4 years are almost $20M each on average.

Where did you get those numbers from?

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
They're also loving two of their best offensive players in Radulov and Kostitsyn which are NOT addition by subtraction despite the Russian-hating media's beliefs.
Sergei Kostitsyn = Yeah one of there best offensive players

Andrei Kostitsyn = Not really all that good

Old
07-19-2012, 03:39 PM
madgoat33

I think its a bit off, espn was reporting that 67mil was in first 6 seasons.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:52 PM
Sleight Of Hand
Where Eagles Dare

People think they will sign him and then trade him in a year. why pay $27MM of that deal then ship him off? He signed the offer he is happy either in Nashville or Philly. As his agent said he wants to win I think he would prefer Philly.

Sleight Of Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:41 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Those 4 Philly 1st rounders might be late, but after losing Weber and Suter Nashville's 1st round picks just got a lot better.

deytookerjaabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:44 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
Those 4 Philly 1st rounders might be late, but after losing Weber and Suter Nashville's 1st round picks just got a lot better.
I'm sure that though will keep the fans reeeeeally happy.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:01 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
I'm sure that though will keep the fans reeeeeally happy.

Yeah, no ****. Might help us but you gotta feel for the fans of that franchise.

deytookerjaabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:12 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Offer sheets are the dirty part of being a GM and where enemies are made. Rest assured that is the case here.

BobbyJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:13 PM
RayP

Quote:
I do feel for them and have been keeping up with their thread. Supposedly Weber and Co. told Poile that he was going to sign the offer sheet in a few days... to give them an opportunity to trade him. Poile was only working with Eastern Conference teams, and obviously didn't get it done.

I really don't see Weber being retained by Nashville at this point. Too many reports from his agent to suggest that they will find a way to keep him. That, and Weber keeps saying he just wants to win.. and has also said several times that if Suter had stayed, he would have already signed a lifer contract with the Predators. I'm not sure what I'd do if I were a Predators fan right now.

Think about this. He is getting more in BONUS money over the next 6 years, than Crosby will get for the first 6 years of his new contract. He is getting more bonus money than Parise and Suter combined. $68M just in BONUSES in this deal. I think if the ownership were going to match it, they would have said so by now. Given they don't have other major contracts to bury, or try and trade away, to save money. That, and they've already lost some high contracts in Suter, Radulov, and AK.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:15 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Offer sheets are the dirty part of being a GM and where enemies are made. Rest assured that is the case here.
Meh, you're not a GM to make buddies with other teams. Yes I realize you might close the door on a trading partner here or there, but it's worth it IMO if you can get a super-stud like Weber, or say Stamkos last year. I would have absolutely sent Stamkos an offer sheet last year, after moving Campbell, and then move a guy like Bolland or Hammer if you have to.