HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[PHI] Shea Weber Signs Offer Sheet With Flyers, 14yrs/$100m+ (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 01:56 AM
billybudd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Does Weber want to stay in Nas?

No point in matching an offer if a player wants out
Tickier than you're making it out to be. If the return they believe they can get for Weber at this price exceeds 4 late firsts, then yes, it's in their best interests to match, even if he wants out. However, if they match with the intention of trading him, they'll likely be shelling out $26 million for an 82 game regular season. Under those circumstances, the cost of getting the better return in actual dollars is substantial.

Old
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Any details on the breakdown of this contract? Do we know if the first year is heavily front loaded? If I was Philly offering that contract, I would definitely make Nashville pay through the nose for that year they have to keep him if they matched.

Old
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSoH View Post
No its not.
OK.

I'll revise my predictions:

A: Nashville gets their 4 1st rounders
B: Nashville matches. Weber plays a season and then demands a trade.

Old
Drake1588
UNATCO

If you match, you are paying him ~$26M between now and July 1, 2013. A huge signing bonus, small 2012-13 lockout-protected salary, then a huge July 1, 2013 bonus.

If you do that, it's a huge initial outlay, but the plus side is you get him cheaper in the later years.

If you keep him one year, then trade him, you are paying him ~$26M for that year and then getting none of the benefits.

If they match, they won't trade him. The terms are intended to make it unpalatable to match and wait and then trade him a year later.

Poile will match and Poile will keep him, whether he demands to be traded or not.

Old
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom of the System View Post
The Preds don't have to match any NTC/NMC...
Yes, they absolutely do. They have to match the copy verbatim.

Old
SSoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
If it was a trade that would be true is it true for an offer sheet too?

Can anyone back that up with a link?
4: Wait, what if there's an NTC/NMC? Then isnt Nashville stuck with this contract?
A: Nashville only has to match the principal terms of the offersheet, meaning the salary/signing bonuses/structure. (CBA 10.3 B+E)

You can find the CBA yourself its section is 10.3 B+E.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:57 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
If he doesn't, signing a 14-year offer sheet was a pretty dumb move.

Old
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
No they don't. This has been answered several times.

Old
PPPower

I think it's a great move by Holmgren assuming that the deal is heavily front loaded.
There is a possibility he could make 26 million in 1 year which will test the preds owners.

If Preds can't afford to match sth with like a 24 million first year then he's a Flyer.

If Preds CAN match it and do so, then I don't see him getting traded to anyone anytime soon (like a division rival such as NY). This is because what owner would want to pay a player 24 million dollars then trade him away the very next year?? Flyers would much rather see him out of their division if they can't have him.

Old
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
No, just the years and money.. NTC and NMC aren't included

Old
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Any details on the breakdown of this contract? Do we know if the first year is heavily front loaded? If I was Philly offering that contract, I would definitely make Nashville pay through the nose for that year they have to keep him if they matched.
LOL Brilliant. We're so horrible. We're just like vultures hovering around Nashville's assets.

Old
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
The poison pill would have been the 26m ish in the first calendar year and maybe 50m between the first two years
Can you even frontload to that degree? Half a 14 year contract in two years? If I recall there is some restrictions on making contracts that have too great a drop from year to year.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:58 AM
sharski

if I'm Nashville, you've GOT to match it...

what does Poile care anyway, he's not gonna be the GM there that long, and if he gets fired, this is an easily justifiable decision

Old
billybudd

Quote:
Figures.

Well, you're wrong.

Old
Petes2424

For those saying Nashville will have a tough time paying all the upfront money, it's just not the case. The can literally borrow the money at ludicrously low interest rates right now. I'd be shocked if they don't match.

But if they let him walk, how would Paul Gaustad feel about now? Lol

Old
Henrik To Daniel

I don't think 26M in the first year for Weber will be a problem for Nashville. The deal doesn't include a NTC, so if he truly does want out, they can trade him next year for a kings ransom. A signed Weber is arguably the most valuable player in the league

Old
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 1527
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
You cant trade a player for a year after he has signed an offer sheet.
That doesn't change my statement. If Weber still wants a trade, now that he is signed indefinitely, he can be dealt anywhere with renewed interest now that teams have no fear of losing him as a rental. Regardless if it is in a year or so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
It's not as simple as you think.

Since Nashville cant trade him for a year, that means they will have to pay up for the first calendar year. That's gonna be a whole lot of money.

And if there's a lockout?

That decision is extremely difficult to make financially. It's not a decision any of us can make sitting behind a keyboard. We dont know how much money the Preds have.
Not overly, they'll get ridiculous assets in return when they deal him.

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Old
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Just saw the breakdown. Very shrewd by Holmgren. It is doubtful Nashville will match the contract for 24 million in the first year, and then trade Weber. Bad investment, not worth it. That's like almost their entire team salary in one year.

Nashville will pass, unless they decide to take a different direction with their team (And finances).

**** just got real for Nashville.

Old
Sasso09

Quote:
No, just the years and money.. NTC and NMC aren't included
Well If that's true, Nashville has a lot better chance matching, I figured that would be the death blow.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:59 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
The poison pill would have been the 26m ish in the first calendar year and maybe 50m between the first two years
50M would be impossible in two calendar years. 26 isn't that bad, there's no way they weren't offering Weber 20+ after what Suter got. IMO there's no way they could make an offer so ugly Nashville couldn't afford it without the league rejecting it for being outrageous.

Old
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Can you even frontload to that degree? Half a 14 year contract in two years? If I recall there is some restrictions on making contracts that have too great a drop from year to year.
I read it can't be over half the salary. So from 9 to 3 would not be accepted, but 9 to 4.5 would.

Would like to know this as well.

Old
thadd
Oil4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPPower View Post
I think it's a great move by Holmgren assuming that the deal is heavily front loaded.
There is a possibility he could make 26 million in 1 year which will test the preds owners.

If Preds can't afford to match sth with like a 24 million first year then he's a Flyer.

If Preds CAN match it and do so, then I don't see him getting traded to anyone anytime soon (like a division rival such as NY). This is because what owner would want to pay a player 24 million dollars then trade him away the very next year?? Flyers would much rather see him out of their division if they can't have him.
And another thing... if the contract was heavily front loaded like that it would be easier for Nashville to trade him after the first year... but that first year would sure be a kick in the teeth.

Old
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:

No point in matching an offer if a player wants out
he wouldn't have signed it if he wanted out. He knows this is just as likely to keep him in Nashville

Preds were willing to give Suter and Weber 10mill each this year, they can afford just Weber now that Suter is gone. They will match

Old
07-19-2012, 02:00 AM
number72

A reason I would be suspicious that Nashville/Poile match is that they were apparently trying to trade Weber instead of signing him. If true, it doesn’t seem Nashville and Poile were going out of there way and serious about signing Weber (or perhaps Weber asked to be traded) but either way it seems a trade was in the works.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
I’m told a number of teams were in on a possible Shea Weber trade.
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
More info coming in. Philly, NYR, Detroit and San Jose were big players in Weber trade scenarios.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:00 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4503
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharski View Post
if I'm Nashville, you've GOT to match it...

what does Poile care anyway, he's not gonna be the GM there that long, and if he gets fired, this is an easily justifiable decision
Ownership will decide whether to match or not.Poile will just do the speaking for them.

Closed Thread