HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Primary Trade Bait: Franzen or Filppula?

View Poll Results: Who's the main trade bait?
Franzen 42 54.55%
Filppula 10 12.99%
Both 18 23.38%
Neither 7 9.09%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-20-2012, 11:16 PM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
We define our own realities

Heaton's right, though. You trade Datsyuk if it improves your situation while at the same time being nearly impossible to immediately improve the team when dealing a player of his caliber. What has to be asked is the obvious question: are we still a legit contender, or likely to become one, in the very near future with what we have? If the answer is no, then deal away because at that point we're not building for right now.

I don't think we can accurately answer that question right now one way or the other. We can go by what we think, or what we assume,but I think there are too many unknowns to decide it with any real certainty. Besides, dealing guys now or in next February is unlikely to affect the value of someone like Datsyuk while also giving us an opportunity to see what the next CBA looks like. If they have shut down the league at that point.

07-21-2012, 03:31 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
What hypothetical situations would realistically happen with the information we actually have?
None. You don't trade Datsyuk. You already said you won't get immediate help, so why bother conjuring up this Giroux scenario? I don't get it.

Somebody says, "Nobody would help" and your response is, "Oh yeah? What about the best young player in the NHL last season?"

Well, sure.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 03:33 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Heaton's right, though. You trade Datsyuk
Stopped here.

Old
07-21-2012, 09:47 AM
JHaggis

Franzen is not good as his use to be. Time to go if good trade coming up.

JHaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

If this team is clearly not a contender which is pretty evident then what is the benefit of trading either of these guys? If you got an amazing deal your team would end up a little bit better. Not enough to really have an impact. Holland has a record of making minor trades to push a contender over the hump such as the Stuart deal. I don't see how any trade involving Franzen or Flip falls under that category. You would be opening a hole to fill a hole. Unless you traded Franzen and a bag of pucks for Stamkos I just don't see a scenario where you benefit from moving one of these guys. Unless of course.............WE COULD TRADE THEM FOR CAP SPACE!!!!!!!! Wait a minute! If we traded both of them for a bag of pucks we could have EVEN MORE CAP SPACE!!!!! Just think how cool it would be to have a team with like $20 million in CAP SPACE!!!! We could throw Datsyuk into the deal and have like $26 million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I may have found the greatest New NHL marketing scheme in hockey history! Throw Zetterberg into the deal and WHOA!!!! This team would have an unbelievable quantity of the most precious post lockout resource know to man!!!!!! CAP SPACE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Capsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:16 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
We need to stop holding Datsyuk's funeral service.

Jagr, Whitney, and Selanne are all kicking along quite well at 40 or above. Datsyuk has 6 years left of top 6 production left in him.
I too think he could play at high level until 40s. The big question is, where?

I love Dats and Hank but I would trade them for younger superstars if possible. But it isn't.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 12:00 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Why isn't anyone as excited as I am about getting so much cap space?
Quote:
Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
If this team is clearly not a contender which is pretty evident then what is the benefit of trading either of these guys? If you got an amazing deal your team would end up a little bit better. Not enough to really have an impact. Holland has a record of making minor trades to push a contender over the hump such as the Stuart deal. I don't see how any trade involving Franzen or Flip falls under that category. You would be opening a hole to fill a hole. Unless you traded Franzen and a bag of pucks for Stamkos I just don't see a scenario where you benefit from moving one of these guys. Unless of course.............WE COULD TRADE THEM FOR CAP SPACE!!!!!!!! Wait a minute! If we traded both of them for a bag of pucks we could have EVEN MORE CAP SPACE!!!!! Just think how cool it would be to have a team with like $20 million in CAP SPACE!!!! We could throw Datsyuk into the deal and have like $26 million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I may have found the greatest New NHL marketing scheme in hockey history! Throw Zetterberg into the deal and WHOA!!!! This team would have an unbelievable quantity of the most precious post lockout resource know to man!!!!!! CAP SPACE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
07-21-2012, 12:49 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
I too think he could play at high level until 40s. The big question is, where?

I love Dats and Hank but I would trade them for younger superstars if possible. But it isn't.
Basically the fantasy is that you can take your 2000 Mercedes Benz and trick the dealership into giving you a 2012 Mercedes in exchange. Who wouldn't want that? You get a younger, equal elite product.

In reality, you trade your 2000 Mercedes Benz and get a 2004 Ford Explorer, 2001 Subaru Outback, and 2007 salvaged Chevy Impala.

Old
07-21-2012, 03:56 PM
ComradeChris

vCash: 1004

Iginla

Franzen or Flippula
Emmerton
Det 1st

ComradeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 04:02 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeChris View Post

Iginla

Franzen or Flippula
Emmerton
Det 1st
Ummmmmmm no. What's the purpose of that trade?

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 05:58 PM
ComradeChris

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Ummmmmmm no. What's the purpose of that trade?
Flip Iginla for Orpik

ComradeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 06:05 PM
chances14

Quote:
Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
Why isn't anyone as excited as I am about getting so much cap space?
Why are you the only one who puts quotes at the bottom of your posts?

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:41 PM
canadianwingnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Pavel Datsyuk is a great player, but he's 34 years old. If Holland could trade him for Giroux and Couturier? That would be an unbelievable upgrade. Same goes if the Wings could trade Franzen for someone younger and dynamic.
Giroux AND Couturier? No problem there, Holland would just hang up

A Franzen + Fippula + 1st package, wonder what we'd be able to get in return for those two plus that pick that we don't need anyways. Hell, throw another one in.

Fippula out of the two of them I'd say would fetch a better return. The package though ^ might fetch something interesting.

canadianwingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by chances14 View Post
Why are you the only one who puts quotes at the bottom of your posts?
This is the only forum I have been on where nobody else does it that way.