HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part 127 (Vierzehn): Offer Sheet Match Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 11:37 AM
SherogoesHAM

vCash: 500
If Weber does stay with the Flyers, the Flyers are not that much better than they were last year.

They lost JVR, Carle, Jagr, and 4 1sts while gaining Schenn and Weber. Their offense obviously took a big hit and their defense definitely is stronger. Also they still have to sign Vorachek, which any GM could offer sheet. You cannot forget about losing Carle, JVR, and Jagr.

The Penguins also still have 9mil in cap. If the Flyers get Weber, Shero will not stay still (even though we will not stay still anyways). Shero could make some big time moves.
This week will be very interesting, Holmgren will not make any other major moves while he is waiting on the Weber situation while Shero could be preparing for the worse and getting some deals set up.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherogoesHAM View Post
If Weber does stay with the Flyers, the Flyers are not that much better than they were last year.

They lost JVR, Carle, Jagr, and 4 1sts while gaining Schenn and Weber. Their offense obviously took a big hit and their defense definitely is stronger. Also they still have to sign Vorachek, which any GM could offer sheet. You cannot forget about losing Carle, JVR, and Jagr.

The Penguins also still have 9mil in cap. If the Flyers get Weber, Shero will not stay still (even though we will not stay still anyways). Shero could make some big time moves.
This week will be very interesting, Holmgren will not make any other major moves while he is waiting on the Weber situation while Shero could be preparing for the worse and getting some deals set up.
We also lost players and at this time with the transactions made we aren't a better team then last year.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:41 AM
johnniewalker

People keep noting the compensation for the offer sheet being 4 1sts, but the reality is that offer sheet for a contract with an AAV of less than $7.8m would only return two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd.

Due to that, I think Nashville has to match this. It's just a matter of them determining if they can squeeze a great package of players out of Philly instead.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
I'm not on suicide watch... unless analyzing our off-season in relation to our main rival is considered suicide watch.

At the end of the day, I'm just a realist.

I mean really - if the Flyers end up signing Weber.. how can you disagree with any of the points I outlined? We got worse and they got better - plain and simple.
I hate the Flyers with a passion just as much as anyone but it's kind of hard to disagree with that.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
People keep noting the compensation for the offer sheet being 4 1sts, but the reality is that offer sheet for a contract with an AAV of less than $7.8m would only return two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd.

Due to that, I think Nashville has to match this. It's just a matter of them determining if they can squeeze a great package of players out of Philly instead.
True but the bottom line is do they have the money going forward?

They can't trade him within a year and at point if i'm not mistaking he will have already received 2 years of bonus signing which is about 30 million

Old
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Quote:

Wasn't there the conclusion that due to the construction of the offersheet it would be the 4 1sts and not the two 1sts, 2nd and 3rd?

Old
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:

That's not right. They take the total amount of the contract (100M+) and divide it by 5 years to determine the AAV for offersheets. It'll be 4 1sts. Not that that's much to give up for a guy like Weber.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
That's not right. They take the total amount of the contract (100M+) and divide it by 5 years to determine the AAV for offersheets. It'll be 4 1sts. Not that that's much to give up for a guy like Weber.
and for a pick that's most probably going to be between 20 and 30 every year

Old
07-19-2012, 11:45 AM
khaoskennedy

Quote:

the cap hit appears to be 7.857

Old
07-19-2012, 11:45 AM
johnniewalker

Quote:
Huh.. I have never noticed that before. Touche. I stand corrected.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post
Wasn't there the conclusion that due to the construction of the offersheet it would be the 4 1sts and not the two 1sts, 2nd and 3rd?
yeah

Old
07-19-2012, 11:46 AM
cassius

If the Flyers are able land the best defenseman in the league for a meager four 1st round picks, it will probably be one of the most lopsided transactions in NHL history.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
If the Flyers are able land the best defenseman in the league for a meager four 1st round picks, it will probably be one of the most lopsided transactions in NHL history.
truth.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:48 AM
SherogoesHAM

Quote:
The Flyers COULD have a better team than the Penguins on July 26th 2012. Who cares.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Hikaru Kitsune
Voltic Spiral

Quote:
Still not as much as when they sent Half their team + Forsberg packing for Lindros.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:50 AM
MtlPenFan

Secretly they probably don't want to do it, but if they don't match they may as well move the team to Quebec.

Weber will remain a Pred.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:50 AM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Something I'm mildly worried about: say Nashville tells Philly, "listen, we're going to match this if the return is only 4 1sts... if you're willing to give up a satisfactory package of players/picks, then we'll just trade him to you."

Old
07-19-2012, 11:51 AM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Huh.. I have never noticed that before. Touche. I stand corrected.
I would have had absolutely no clue about that either if I hadn't read it a few minutes ago.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:52 AM
PensFanSince1989

If they match, Nashville will not be trading him next year.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Something I'm mildly worried about: say Nashville tells Philly, "listen, we're going to match this if the return is only 4 1sts... if you're willing to give up a satisfactory package of players/picks, then we'll just trade him to you."
can they still do that? As of right now, isn't he a Flyer?

Old
07-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Ugene Malkin
****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
No. Not until they say they won't match.

Offer sheet<<<Contract

Old
07-19-2012, 11:55 AM
KIRK

Quote:
for those that are saying we didn't do anything this off-season, I have a very complicated set of diagrams that can hopefully explain how we still have a shot at salvaging this mess of a season.

I know they are complicated, but I have faith that you can figure them out.
I'm still not following . . .

Old
07-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
No. Not until they say they won't match.

Offer sheet<<<Contract
either way, if a deal was going to be made wouldn't they have just done the trade already instead of the offer sheet?

Old
07-19-2012, 11:58 AM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Hmm, I'm not sure. It would seem that they have his rights. I don't know

For some reason I am under the impression that you can negotiate a trade outside of the suggested 4 1sts, but that may not be right.

Quote:
either way, if a deal was going to be made wouldn't they have just done the trade already instead of the offer sheet?
Yes, but now they see what contract they're up against and if they really can't put that money up-front, they had better get some impact NHLers back.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Ugene Malkin
****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I'm still not following . . .

This might be a hint as well.

Closed Thread