HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ott Presser / Get your Roy nameplate changed to Ott

Old
07-19-2012, 02:25 PM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
That really shouldn't be a factor. If it is, the fan base ought to be rather uncomfortable. We wouldn't have hired Terry Pegula for GM, so why would we want him to tell our GM how to do his job?
Establishing what kind of identity you want your team/franchise to have is not really telling the GM how to do his job any more than any boss/employee relationship. The GM still has the power to sign who who wants to meet that goal.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:28 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelley View Post
I agree that an owner should let his hockey department make the hockey decisions. But I hardly see how him saying he wants an extremely tough team that also has extremely talented players as evidence of him telling Darcy how to do his job. I'm pretty sure thats a general recipe that any owner/gm/hockey fan would get behind.
Then we shouldn't be acknowledging it as the reason why it's happening.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:31 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Why not?

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:32 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Establishing what kind of identity you want your team/franchise to have is not really telling the GM how to do his job any more than any boss/employee relationship. The GM still has the power to sign who who wants to meet that goal.
If Terry's telling Darcy what kind of team he wants built and that's affecting who Darcy goes out and gets, that's still a bad thing. Part of being a good GM is knowing how to build a team and what model to follow. Case in point, Darcy was labeled brilliant post lockout for the team he assembled.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:34 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Why not?
I read the post I was responding to as saying that Pegula isn't actually affecting who Darcy goes out and gets, because any GM would agree with what he's saying anyways. So it wouldn't make sense to say Pegula is impacting the model that the team tries to fill.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:35 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I read the post I was responding to as saying that Pegula isn't actually affecting who Darcy goes out and gets, because any GM would agree with what he's saying anyways. So it wouldn't make sense to say Pegula is impacting the model that the team tries to fill.
Ah ok. Wasnt sure what you meant.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Skelley

Quote:
I don't think anyones saying that what Terry thinks is the sole reason for the change in philosophy. Its obviously a combination of factors and I'm sure Darcy came to the conclusion on his own that he needs to make this team tougher to play against. I think Terry's main contribution is giving the front office the freedom to pursue higher end talent and the grittier type players without worrying about the "bottom line" as seen in the Golisano days

Skelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosswally View Post
I love the white jerseys, does anyone else wish they would wear those at home, white makes them look faster and also the heroes also wear white
I wish it was changed back so all teams wore white at home, I thought it was better for people who had seasons tickets/went to a lot of home games. With the current setup, every game looks the same - the Sabres navy vs. the away teams white, usually with little other colour. If the home jerseys were white, every game is different for the most part. Maybe it's a stupid reason, but I dunno... it was always fun seeing the Flyers' orange, Bruins black, Ranger blue, etc. 'invading' the ice.

As for Ott, I love his attitude. Well spoken and seems very genuinely excited to be in Buffalo. He'll be great for the guys that Lindy mentioned like Foligno and Tropp as well as Girgensons whenever he's up with the big club. I imagine it won't be too long before he's a fan favourite.

I like how they're doing the name changing thing with the jerseys, too. Noticed a lot of Hodgson jerseys when I was up for the dev. camp, not sure how many were switched but I can imagine quite a few were. When I was in the store I was actually looking to see if the Roy jerseys were on sale with the idea of grabbing one and getting the plate changed, but I guess they outsmarted my loophole and didn't have them on sale.

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:24 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
If Terry's telling Darcy what kind of team he wants built and that's affecting who Darcy goes out and gets, that's still a bad thing. Part of being a good GM is knowing how to build a team and what model to follow. Case in point, Darcy was labeled brilliant post lockout for the team he assembled.
Completely disagree, for one important reason.

Terry wouldn't just tell Darcy what he wants, he would engage him. If Darcy truly disagreed with the model, he would tell Terry.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
That really shouldn't be a factor. If it is, the fan base ought to be rather uncomfortable. We wouldn't have hired Terry Pegula for GM, so why would we want him to tell our GM how to do his job?
Why uncomfortable? The owner has laid out things he likes to see in a team, has a commitment to building a Cup champion, and the team has been operating as if they can be a player in many situations as witnessed by the reports about the Suter/Parise contract offers. It's refreshing to have the front office being proactive. It's also refreshing to have ownership that has an interest in the entertainment value of its product after years of it being about nothing more than the bottom line. Pegula isn't the GM. He is the owner. Owners set the mandates, the President oversees the entire operation implementing the mandates, and the GM is responsible for the player personnel and coaching side of that implementation. No one is saying Terry is the GM.

07-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Given the previous two ownership regimes, it is. They've moved from bottom line focus to competitive focus.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:38 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Given the previous two ownership regimes, it is. They've moved from bottom line focus to competitive focus.
Oh, sure, but that's not what I'm trying to say. All I'm saying is, IF Terry is saying "Darcy, I want us to be like the Broad Street Bullies, I love that team, go out and make it happen" or even "Darcy, I want us to be like the Broad Street Bullies and this is the guy I think we need to do that," then Terry would be interfering, I think. Darcy's job is to anticipate what kind of team he needs to build, and even telling him what model of player to pursue is probably an overreach by the owner.

Now, there's not any direct evidence that this is happening, so I'd just like to remind everyone that I was originally responding to someone saying that PEgula should get the credit for the team trying to take a Broad Street Bullies approach. I think and I hope that that kind of decision is left to DArcy.

Old
07-19-2012, 03:43 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Isn't this how it works in most lines of work? Your boss establishes goals, and you come up with ways to achieve them. If you're working relationship is any good you present recommendations and request any support that you need, and your boss may pitch ideas and suggestions.

Nothing about what's happening here makes me uncomfortable as a fan.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:46 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:01 PM
LaxSabre

vCash: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi View Post
wonder what qualifies as a "purchase"? could you buy a keychain? or a bumper sticker?
Surprised they didnt set a minimum, like $10
A purchase? should be buying just one item in the store.
If they were going to make you buy a certain amount - how about $9? - LOL!

They still have those DVDs near the registers for a $1.00? ("Better Days"-06-07
Year in Review, Rick Jeannerets "Top Shelf" and the Making Of The Winter Classic)
Buying the Jeannerett one would be worth the hassle of buying something - or just
buy all three - if all three are available.

A couple of my Sabres seatmates have Roy as one of their many jerseys.
They have it autograph though, so I doubt they will get the Roy nameplate
changed to a Ott nameplate.

Wonder - like the one poster is going to do - if they will head over to
Dave and Adams - buy a Roy jersey for $30 and then take it to the
Sabres store and get a Ott nameplate on it instead? I'll have to ask them.

Last edited by LaxSabre: 07-20-2012 at 07:30 AM.
LaxSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:16 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post
I wish it was changed back so all teams wore white at home, I thought it was better for people who had seasons tickets/went to a lot of home games. With the current setup, every game looks the same - the Sabres navy vs. the away teams white, usually with little other colour. If the home jerseys were white, every game is different for the most part. Maybe it's a stupid reason, but I dunno... it was always fun seeing the Flyers' orange, Bruins black, Ranger blue, etc. 'invading' the ice.

As for Ott, I love his attitude. Well spoken and seems very genuinely excited to be in Buffalo. He'll be great for the guys that Lindy mentioned like Foligno and Tropp as well as Girgensons whenever he's up with the big club. I imagine it won't be too long before he's a fan favourite.

I like how they're doing the name changing thing with the jerseys, too. Noticed a lot of Hodgson jerseys when I was up for the dev. camp, not sure how many were switched but I can imagine quite a few were. When I was in the store I was actually looking to see if the Roy jerseys were on sale with the idea of grabbing one and getting the plate changed, but I guess they outsmarted my loophole and didn't have them on sale.
Its great to see how excited he is to come here.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Its great to see how excited he is to come here.

As a Yankee fan, Ott seems to have some of the same personality traits as Nick Swisher, for whatever that means.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:45 PM
GodHatesBuffalo

Does anybody know for how long the roy/ott nameplate switcheroo is going to run?

GodHatesBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodHatesBuffalo View Post
Does anybody know for how long the roy/ott nameplate switcheroo is going to run?
Believe someone asked the Sabres' twitter this, one sec.

Quote:
Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres
Yes! @ryanbeiter: @BuffaloSabres The nameplate promotion runs until NEXT friday the 27th, right?

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:05 PM
moltenlava26

Yeah terry stay out of Darcy's business. Since Darcy has built multiple cup winners....oh wait...

On topic, Ott rules! Good to see some attitude and swagger!

moltenlava26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:26 PM
GodHatesBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post
Believe someone asked the Sabres' twitter this, one sec.
Thanks mate! Being from Roc this doesn't give me a ton of time to take advantage.

GodHatesBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Prospector74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
True, they had good skaters like Holzinger, Brown, Sanderson, Zhitnik, Ward and Satan - but only Satan was anywhere near a reliable scorer.
I miss Zhitnik's hip checks. That was some good stuff.

Prospector74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Bosswally

just watched the video, what I love about Ott is that it just feels so nice to have someone who seems genuinely happy to play here

Bosswally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Royisgone

Just saw a photo of Ott wearing his #9 Sabres sweater.

It occurred to me that after a few shifts on opening night, that poor #9 sweater is not going to know what to think.

"Hey man, cut it out! What's with the contact? I'm not used to that! You keep this up and I'm going to get ripped, or worse, I might end up with some blood on me! Be gentle! Maybe we can just ease into this whole "hitting" concept for a while, OK!?!?!?"

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
As a Yankee fan, Ott seems to have some of the same personality traits as Nick Swisher, for whatever that means.
Swish is upbeat and plays hard so does Ott. I see what you mean, both guys mean well and dedicate their game

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote