HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Questions about Jonathan Bernier.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

vCash: 500
Questions about Jonathan Bernier.

Hey all, Leafs fan here, I come in peace.

I have few questions regarding Jonathan Bernier, I hope u guys don't mind any of them if u will and I am not here to bash or get my hopes up on him possibly being a Leaf come next season.

But just talking Hypothethically, let's say we end up tarding up for Bernier for say Matt Frattin and 2nd in 2012, and becomes our starter by the start of the season.

Do u think he would be a significantly better upgrade than either Reimer/Scrivens?

Do u think he really has what it takes to be a true #1 G for a long haul?

do u think there is a greater chance he will likely be in a big market with tons of pressure like Toronto?

How would u compare his game and to which current NHL player would u compare him to?

Thanks for all the responses in advance and I am sure u guys have ton of them since u have known him for a long time.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:19 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

He certainly has the passion for it. Whether he has what it takes can only be seen when he earns that position for whatever team he ends up playing for.

Every goalie that makes it to the NHL level has what it takes. Obviously only 30 are going to get into the role. It's not just about being competent. You have to show a little extra.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 102
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Yeah, he can be a legit #1, he just hasn't been given regular starts in a long time, he had a slow start last season, but came through in the second half with the rest of the team. He's played for Team Canada and has a good idea of what the pressure would be like. I would probably compare him closest to Nabokov when he was in his prime in San Jose. Very solid hybrid goaltender, who is very technical and relies on his superior positioning over athletic ability, though he can perform athletic feats all the same, just not on the same level that Quick can. I would say Bernier has a better hockey sense though.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:37 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Yeah, he can be a legit #1, he just hasn't been given regular starts in a long time, he had a slow start last season, but came through in the second half with the rest of the team. He's played for Team Canada and has a good idea of what the pressure would be like. I would probably compare him closest to Nabokov when he was in his prime in San Jose. Very solid hybrid goaltender, who is very technical and relies on his superior positioning over athletic ability, though he can perform athletic feats all the same, just not on the same level that Quick can. I would say Bernier has a better hockey sense though.
He's also handles the puck pretty well... or at least in comparison to Quick who handles it like a gernade.

WhatTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 494
All you need to know about Bernier is that he likes his Scotch need and his prime rib served medium rare

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:42 PM
deeshamrock

He has the talent to be number 1 , all he needs is reg. starts. He's a smart goalie, very technically sound and style wise would remind me a bit of Broduer in that he's pretty good handling the puck, doesn't panic in pressure and handles traffic well. He's pretty smart reading the play around him and stands his ground, adjusting to the play and knowing when to go butterfly.

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:46 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Bernier is technical calm and composed. This helps the team playing in front of him. I still feel that he is just as good az Quick now. He has a high ceiling. I personally think he can and will thrive under the pressure of a large market. He does have an ego was able to control while in LA. He is a legit #1 goalie who will push quick down the road for awards. Bernier is ready to explode on the scene so to speak. Who ever gets him will definitely win the trade.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 02:56 PM
ShattStar03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
He's also handles the puck pretty well... or at least in comparison to Quick who handles it like a gernade.
This!!

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupes View Post
Hey all, Leafs fan here, I come in peace.

I have few questions regarding Jonathan Bernier, I hope u guys don't mind any of them if u will and I am not here to bash or get my hopes up on him possibly being a Leaf come next season.

But just talking Hypothethically, let's say we end up tarding up for Bernier for say Matt Frattin and 2nd in 2012, and becomes our starter by the start of the season.

Do u think he would be a significantly better upgrade than either Reimer/Scrivens?

Do u think he really has what it takes to be a true #1 G for a long haul?

do u think there is a greater chance he will likely be in a big market with tons of pressure like Toronto?

How would u compare his game and to which current NHL player would u compare him to?

Thanks for all the responses in advance and I am sure u guys have ton of them since u have known him for a long time.
I'm in Canada so I get the leafs shoved down my thoat, and yes I would rather Bernier as a #1 than scrivens or Reimer.
He definately has what it takes to be a #1 for a long time.
I am worried about him being able to thrive in Toronto where so much preasure is put on Goalies, and players. With him being so young he will have some struggles (like any elite goalie his age) most Leaf fans will understand that, however the corporate goofs at the games tend to be harsher. The one thing that says to me that he can is how he handled the spot light during the world juniors.
I'd compare him to Schnieder.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:14 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a Kings fan who isn't confident in Bernier. The only reason he isn't a starter already is Quick. Bernier is calm, positionally sound and doesn't allow many rebounds. He's gonna be a stud.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a Kings fan who isn't confident in Bernier. The only reason he isn't a starter already is Quick. Bernier is calm, positionally sound and doesn't allow many rebounds. He's gonna be a stud.
I think the one thing he needs to work on his his rebound control. Maybe if he gets more starts his equipment will soften up and soak up more pucks

Old
07-19-2012, 04:20 PM
BackOnTopic

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
Bernier is technical calm and composed. This helps the team playing in front of him. I still feel that he is just as good az Quick now. He has a high ceiling. I personally think he can and will thrive under the pressure of a large market. He does have an ego was able to control while in LA. He is a legit #1 goalie who will push quick down the road for awards. Bernier is ready to explode on the scene so to speak. Who ever gets him will definitely win the trade.
Seriously? Not meaning to criticize, but you really think Bernier is "just as good" as the Vezina finalist and Conn Smythe winner that was the single biggest reason LA is celebrating their first ever Stanley Cup this year? I think Bernier will be a great goalie for someone else down the road, but I think you're kind of stretching it.

BackOnTopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackOnTopic View Post
Seriously? Not meaning to criticize, but you really think Bernier is "just as good" as the Vezina finalist and Conn Smythe winner that was the single biggest reason LA is celebrating their first ever Stanley Cup this year? I think Bernier will be a great goalie for someone else down the road, but I think you're kind of stretching it.
I don't understand how so many people think this way. I think that Bernier can become the same level of goalie as Quick is. And that is why he expendable now that Quick is locked up.
He may end up being better, and all the best to him

Old
07-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Here are some highlights from games in which Bernier appeared in this past season. He's seen limited ice time over the past few years (and for good reason) so there is still tons of room for him to develop into a starting goalie. And he's still 23 (will be turning 24 next month).

Came in relief of Quick here and got smoked:

I find Bernier's weaknesses to be the following:
He's not very good at fighting through screens and tracking the puck. His recovery after the initial shot also needs work and he's not very sharp when facing shots from an angle as he leaves a lot of holes open in the corners (a problem with most butterfly goalies).

As for his strengths:
He is technically sound and calm in net. You never see him get rattled, or at the very least he does a good job of hiding it. He actually makes good decisions when or when not to play the puck and actually handles the puck very well.

I personally think that a lot of Kings fans overrate Bernier and think a bit too highly of him simply due to the fact that he was a former 1st round pick. Granted, he doesn't get many starts, but he hasn't shown much consistency in the few opportunities he does get during the regular season.

I understand why other organizations would be reluctant to give up significant assets to acquire Bernier, however, he does have the technical skills that could translate well into a future starting netminder. In some ways, he does remind me of Mathieu Garon of a goalie who had all the skills and the success in the minors but struggles with consistency to hold down a starting role. I don't think it is a guarantee that he will be a starting goalie wherever he goes. At worst, he'll be like Martin Biron and be a steady and dependable backup goalie. At best, maybe he'll be like Jose Theodore and have some very good seasons and some average ones. He is still young so his development can go either way.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
All you need to know about Bernier is that he likes his Scotch need and his prime rib served medium rare
And by Bernier do you mean you?

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:39 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Serious, yes. Our goaltending has been terrible in the past. Quick is awesome dont get me wrong. But yes Bernier is just as good or will be and possible better. I like quick and hlax we have him and this a nice problem to have. You need to take off ghe blinders the potential is there and then some.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

The two biggest knocks on Bernier are his size and how he deals with traffic in his goal crease. Beyond that he's a fantastic goalie.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:34 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
How about his martinis, shaken or stirred?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:10 PM
vh2k7

Send a message via AIM to vh2k7 Send a message via MSN to vh2k7 Send a message via Skype™ to vh2k7
I think he will be a Vezina contender a few times. I'm pretty confident in him...actually looking forward to seeing how he does in an increased role. I hope he goes to TOR since I wind up watching a bunch of their games anyway (and b/c I like the rumored acquisition of Frattin).

He's excellent at corralling the original shot. He's bad at recovering when he doesn't corral that shot. His puckhandling is already exceptional. He's very calm and poised (think Carey Price). Never seems to get flustered. He's mediocre at seeing through traffic.

vh2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:16 AM
ukyo

Quote:
Let's put it this way: as recently as earlier this year there was a legitimate debate over who was the better goalie from a pure skill standpoint. And that hasn't fundamentally changed. The only real difference is that Quick has been impossibly consistent this season and just never let go of the job.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:35 AM
butteryslugz
L.A. Kings Fan

i cant wait for Bernier blossom into a top #1 goalie in the nhl. thanks to quick he has to establish himself elsewhere... Idk why but i want him to go to toronto and be a part of the team getting over the playoff drought hump.

Boss save from Jonathon Bernier

butteryslugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:36 AM
Inner Turbulence

Send a message via MSN to Inner Turbulence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I find Bernier's weaknesses to be the following:
He's not very good at fighting through screens and tracking the puck. His recovery after the initial shot also needs work and he's not very sharp when facing shots from an angle as he leaves a lot of holes open in the corners (a problem with most butterfly goalies).

As for his strengths:
He is technically sound and calm in net. You never see him get rattled, or at the very least he does a good job of hiding it. He actually makes good decisions when or when not to play the puck and actually handles the puck very well.

I think this is a fair assesment. His positioning is strong and he seems to be making the "technically" correct decisions when facing shooters. But sometimes he still gets beat by what appears like "stoppable shots". Good shooters can find the holes and he doesn't seem to react enough to it. He relies on his position often to stop the shot.

I maybe one of the less confident in Bernier. I am not saying he doesn't have what it takes, but he hasn't shown it yet. But it is very hard to judge a players' ability to be a starter in the NHL and be a good one. Takes a lot of mental toughness. Probably more so in a place like Toronto. We really need to see him get a significant amount of games over the course of a year or two before it's reasonable to try and determine his potential for the next decade.

Inner Turbulence is online now   Reply With Quote