HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

The case for Corey Tropp

Old
07-19-2012, 03:43 PM
ceky

vCash: 500
first, listening to the press conference I as well had the strong feeling that Tropp is planned to play in the NHL. but i'm quite unsure if he is up to "first line duties" with Vanek / CoHo.

Foligno - Ennis - Stafford
Vanek - CoHo - Ott
Leino -FA/trade/Grigs/Girgs - Pominville
Gerbe - McCormick - Tropp
Kaleta,Scott

about Kaleta: there won't be that many games during the season where 1) Kaleta is healthy and 2) no other forward is injured and opens up a spot anyways. So i have Kaleta and Scott as 13 and 14 heading into the season if we do not land doan (which i don't expect)

ceky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
I still believe there will be a top 6 player added. No way DR & TP will be content with Roy for Ott flip, no way.

I'm not one of the majority in bringging Kaleta back. Injuries and track record with the league offices are my biggest concerns, which is why I'd rather have Tropp there (4th line).

I see Ott being plugged in where needed, and that need will be shifts as the 4th line center.....Gerbe - Ott - Tropp.

I can see one of the Girgs/Grigs getting a winger shot IF THEY HAVE A GOOD CAMP, and the way Girgs played in the development camp, he could become a darling of the organization.

I see pairings set, not lines, besides FES. I see Vanek - Hodgson and Leino - Pomms as pairs. Depending on who they bring in, depends on where Ott takes his normal top 6 spot.

I just am not thrilled with Gerbe - McCormick - Kaleta. I like Gerbe - Ott - Tropp much better. I know we didn't trade for Ott to play 4th line center but at times it could work. Flip a dman for a forward, and come on, you know it's going to be hard for Doan not to take the money......

Vanek - CoHo - Doan
Leino - trade/Girgs - Pomms
Gerbe - Ott - Tropp

Bye-bye Kaleta and Leo. I could live with that lineup.
there is no way they acquired Ott to play on the 4th line.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:58 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
there is no way they acquired Ott to play on the 4th line.
there is no way they acquired Leino to play on the fourth line, but **** happens. Guy will get around 35 points, he's not going on the first line, so he'll go where there's room.

haseoke39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Just curious, why are some of you wanting to put the teams best forward on the 3rd line?

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:02 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
there is no way they acquired Leino to play on the fourth line, but **** happens. Guy will get around 35 points, he's not going on the first line, so he'll go where there's room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Just curious, why are some of you wanting to put the teams best forward on the 3rd line?

Lindy Ruff coached teams often don't have "true" top lines.

It's possible that Ott ends up playing with Vanek and Hodgson on the "top" line. Tropp played in that role late in the year. It's a 1a, 1b, 1c, 4 system.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Lindy Ruff coached teams often don't have "true" top lines.

It's possible that Ott ends up playing with Vanek and Hodgson on the "top" line. Tropp played in that role late in the year. It's a 1a, 1b, 1c, 4 system.
k...yeah but out of respect wouldn't it make sense to list Pomminville's line first? I mean seeing as how he logs the most icetime and just had one of his best NHL seasons? Foligno has 14 career games, he might not even start in the NHL next season.

Old
07-19-2012, 04:29 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
k...yeah but out of respect wouldn't it make sense to list Pomminville's line first? I mean seeing as how he logs the most icetime and just had one of his best NHL seasons? Foligno has 14 career games, he might not even start in the NHL next season.
It doesn't matter.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:58 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
It doesn't matter.
It's rather rude, sir. Maybe Pomminville has feelings?

Old
07-19-2012, 06:03 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceky View Post
first, listening to the press conference I as well had the strong feeling that Tropp is planned to play in the NHL. but i'm quite unsure if he is up to "first line duties" with Vanek / CoHo.

Vanek - CoHo - Ott
Leino -FA/trade/Grigs/Girgs - Pominville
Gerbe - McCormick - Tropp
Kaleta,Scott

about Kaleta: there won't be that many games during the season where 1) Kaleta is healthy and 2) no other forward is injured and opens up a spot anyways. So i have Kaleta and Scott as 13 and 14 heading into the season if we do not land doan (which i don't expect)
Kaleta might stay healthier now that he has help and doesn't have to carry the load in the physical department. Plus his minutes are likely to go down in the 3 line setup we are likely to roll.

Tropp would be better off in Rochester playing bigger minutes and growing his offensive game than starting out the season on the 4th line.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Kaleta might stay healthier now that he has help and doesn't have to carry the load in the physical department. Plus his minutes are likely to go down in the 3 line setup we are likely to roll.

Tropp would be better off in Rochester playing bigger minutes and growing his offensive game than starting out the season on the 4th line.

Kaleta gets hurt from shot blocking, there's no evidence to suggest that won't continue.

He's fearless, and being more technically sound would serve his career better. But he's never gonna learn.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Kaleta gets hurt from shot blocking, there's no evidence to suggest that won't continue.

He's fearless, and being more technically sound would serve his career better. But he's never gonna learn.
Never gonna learn not to block shots? I hope not!

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd get rid of Gerbe before Kaleta if I had to make room for Tropp.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:10 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

the prevailing theme from regier/ruff in the ott press conference was team toughness and being harder to play against. tropp is an obvious ingredient for that recipe.

billsandsabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:36 PM
MyersMagic57*

Quote:
Based on what Ruff wants to start doing with the lines, I see no reason why Foligno doesn't have a roster spot. His line was the best down the stretch. I could see a potential lineup as follows:

Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Ott-Leino-Pommer (This will allow Ott to play wing, but take faceoffs instead of Leino)
Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp (logging just as much minutes as the top two lines with Ruffs system)
Gerbe-Adam/Grigs/Girgs/Mccormic-Kaleta

I really don't think signing anyone else is that much of a need with what we have now. I wouldn't mind signing someone to replace Leino, but lets be serious thats not going to happen. I would be happy with what we have now. Its a solid lineup, plus we have a lot of depth now

MyersMagic57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
I've noticed the consensus around here is that Corey Tropp will likely start the year in Rochester after competing for a spot in camp. It's hard to argue against that - with so few roster spots available and so many bodies vying for them, it's not a crazy assumption to make.

However, based on his play last year, Ruff's praise of said play and Regier's vow of wanting to make the team tougher to play against, is it really all that unrealistic to think that Lindy will make room for Corey come September?

Obviously nothing will be handed to Tropp on a silver platter. He'll have to work hard if he plans on making the squad. That's his game, though. I'm convinced he'd go through a wall if it meant playing in the NHL next season.

During the Ott presser, Lindy named Ott, Tropp and Foligno as players that will make Buffalo more difficult to play against. He later specified that Ott, Tropp, Foligno, Kaleta and McCormick make Buffalo a tougher team.

I think there's more 'o' to his game than his time in Buffalo showed last year. He's a tireless worker and plays with an edge. Lindy even started relying on him in penalty kill situations later in the year. He likes the elements Tropp adds to the team.

With the news that Buffalo has an outstanding offer for Doan (and the unlikeliness that he'll actually sign it), is it that unrealistic to think that could be Tropp's spot come September?

This is by no means another "line combos" thread, but for the sake of it:

Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Ott-Leino-Pominville
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta

With Scott as your spare and Ellis, Porter, Adam, Varone and Girgensons as your first call-up options.

This is an outstanding post/observation/opinion.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:07 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Never gonna learn not to block shots? I hope not!
There is a safer more technically sound way to block shots. Keep in mind that there IS a goalie out there with full gear on.

Kaleta routinely gloves shots launched 10 feet from him. He thinks he's Patrick Roy but he's not. He's Lord DL.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:16 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
I'm tired of Kaleta. If he wasn't a Buffalo boy then I'm sure a lot more would agree with me.

enrothorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:04 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
I'm tired of Kaleta. If he wasn't a Buffalo boy then I'm sure a lot more would agree with me.
I doubt it. He is a tough player to play against, is good defensively and a good PKer. He brings an element we need and are adding more off.

Not sure what in particular has you tired of him. So I can't really address your specific issue with him.

Last edited by joshjull: 07-19-2012 at 10:13 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:53 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I doubt it. He is a tough player to play against, is good defensively and a good PKer. He brings an element we need and are adding more off.

Not sure what in particular has you tired of him. So I can't really address your specific issue with him.
Indeed. He was one of our best defensive forwards last season.

Sometimes I think we as fans forget that forwards are good for more than scoring goals... it's easy to laud defensive defensemen by comparison, but third and fourth liners who make opposing top lines miserable are just as important.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 11:17 PM
SoFFacet

Using the players we have now to fill lines based on how we ended last year, the lack of a real 3rd center means Ott or Leino are the most likely candidates to be the band-aid.

Tropp Hodgson Vanek
Foligno Ennis Stafford
Leino Ott Pominville
Gerbe Cody Kaleta

(1st 3 lines listed in no particular order)

Its not the greatest solution but unless Adam, Grigs, Girgs, or someone else makes the team as a center, its what we've got this year. If that happens, however, I'd say Ott takes Tropp's place and Tropp goes to minors for a little while. I think Tropp has plenty of upside but Kaleta will hurt himself every few games so he'll get plenty of games.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 11:38 PM
Royisgone

The key word around the organization now is "change". As in less weak, non-physical play and more hard nosed play. Regier is working to turn things around with our group of softies.

Tropp, Kaleta, and especially Foligno should all be a part of this team next season, unless one of them simply must give way to a better player joining the organization who plays equally tough.

I love the intangibles of Gerbe and he has the heart of a lion--and that's just what this team needs a lot more of--but the sad reality is his size greatly limits his effectivness on the ice. Sure he has the potential to bring a lot more goal scoring to the table than Kaleta or Tropp, but we didn't see much of that last season.

If I had to, I'd move him off the starting lineup before the other guys.

To directly respond to the original post: I don't see how Tropp can NOT be a part of the new direction of this team.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:06 AM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royisgone View Post
The key word around the organization now is "change". As in less weak, non-physical play and more hard nosed play. Regier is working to turn things around with our group of softies.

Tropp, Kaleta, and especially Foligno should all be a part of this team next season, unless one of them simply must give way to a better player joining the organization who plays equally tough.

I love the intangibles of Gerbe and he has the heart of a lion--and that's just what this team needs a lot more of--but the sad reality is his size greatly limits his effectivness on the ice. Sure he has the potential to bring a lot more goal scoring to the table than Kaleta or Tropp, but we didn't see much of that last season.

If I had to, I'd move him off the starting lineup before the other guys.

To directly respond to the original post: I don't see how Tropp can NOT be a part of the new direction of this team.
If leino struggles anywhere near as much as he did most of last year, I'd honestly prefer to sit him and keep gerbe in (wishful thinking, i know). I like him more on the 3rd line, where he has better guys to complement his offensive ability than goose/mccormick/kaleta...then roll with
Vanek-Hodgson-Pommer (1st line)
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford (no brainer 2nd line)
Gerbe-Ott-Tropp (I think ott will get a look at center. really agitating, defensively solid, offensively capable 3rd line)
Adam?-McCormick-Kaleta (energy line)
maybe even flip tropp and pominville in that scenario to give the 1st line a bit more toughness and room for vanek and coho to operate and give the 3rd line more offensive punch. with how evenly ruff distributes ice time, it's not like, "OMG, pominville will only get 3rd line minutes!"

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:25 AM
michaelsaas

I would want Tropp over Ellis
I would want Kaleta over Ellis
I think Grigs has a long way to go if he has shot at competing for a spot at camp
I think Girgs will not make the NHL team this year
I think Adam has a better shot of making the team then Grigs or Girgs but still has a way to go.
Ott is not going to play on our 4th line
I think we will make another move for a forward but if we don't, I wouldn't be surprised to see Leino and Ott on the same line splitting center duties.

michaelsaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:30 AM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Players who are hurt more often than the average cost more than their salary. You have to add in the extra cost of their replacement for X games. Kaleta is part of that. And when he's around, he either plays his game extremely well, or he's hurting the team with dumb penalties. I'd prefer a plugger who stays in the lineup and doesn't take(or draw) penalties. The Sabres PP doesn't really strike fear into anyone(except Miller at times?) so the whole benefit of drawing more penalties doesn't help THIS team.

enrothorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 04:27 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
1. Leino didn't play on the 4th line
2. If he did, it would've been performance based.
3. Ott wasnt traded for to play on the 4th line

Last edited by TP: 07-20-2012 at 07:04 AM. Reason: mod
Jame is online now   Reply With Quote