HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

The case for Corey Tropp

Old
07-20-2012, 06:28 AM
heartsabres*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
Using the players we have now to fill lines based on how we ended last year, the lack of a real 3rd center means Ott or Leino are the most likely candidates to be the band-aid.

Pominville Hodgson Vanek
Foligno Ennis Stafford
Tropp Leino Ott
Gerbe Cody Kaleta

(1st 3 lines listed in no particular order)

Its not the greatest solution but unless Adam, Grigs, Girgs, or someone else makes the team as a center, its what we've got this year. If that happens, however, I'd say Ott takes Tropp's place and Tropp goes to minors for a little while. I think Tropp has plenty of upside but Kaleta will hurt himself every few games so he'll get plenty of games.
Fixed

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 08:37 AM
MyersMagic57*

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Fixed
Ruff mentioned that he likes having a bigger body on each line so pommer and vanek might be split up

MyersMagic57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 10:45 AM
BWidz8930

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyersMagic57 View Post
Ruff mentioned that he likes having a bigger body on each line so pommer and vanek might be split up
I'd prefer they be split up anyway so that other teams won't be able to just send out their top D-pairing every time they hit the ice.

I like the idea of giving Hodgson and Vanek a hard-worker to play alongside, if not Tropp then maybe Gerbe (Ott would also be great on that line but he'll need to play elsewhere unless one of the G's makes the team or we sign a center). If Grigorenko gets his 9 game tryout, I'd like to see him playing with Pominville on his wing.

I don't expect to see Girgensons up with the big club until later in the season unless he absolutely blows up training camp. Having him in Roc gives them the flexibility of bringing him up whenever they want throughout the course of the season. The propsect of having him, Ott, Kaleta, and Tropp in the same lineup is pretty appealing. Lots of big bodies that like to hit and go hard to the net. I like McCormick too, but it's starting to feel like the 4C spot might be kind of wasted on him. If Tropp can't jive on a scoring line I wonder if they'd consider having him play in the middle a bit with some grinders on the 4th line. I suppose they have Turnbull down in Roc for that sort of thing but I really want Tropp on this team.

BWidz8930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:15 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsaas View Post
I would want Tropp over Ellis
I would want Kaleta over Ellis
I think Grigs has a long way to go if he has shot at competing for a spot at camp
I think Girgs will not make the NHL team this year
I think Adam has a better shot of making the team then Grigs or Girgs but still has a way to go.
Ott is not going to play on our 4th line
I think we will make another move for a forward but if we don't, I wouldn't be surprised to see Leino and Ott on the same line splitting center duties.
I also like Tropp over Ellis...but I prefer Tropp getting top line minutes in the AHL over Tropp sitting in the press box (which is where Ellis would be), especially since Tropp is still waiver-exempt.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:54 PM
michaelsaas

I am talking about the 12th forward slot, I agree that I would rather have Tropp in the AHL then in the pressbox.

But I would be okay with him alternating out some games for Mr. 24-0 to come in if need be. Although I would make that scratch based on performance and I am fairly certain Ruff would to.

michaelsaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:27 PM
tmack224

i know everyone wants to trade for a wing or trade for a center but looking at it right now if Grigorenko makes the team:

Ott-Grigorenko-Vanek
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Gerbe-Hodgson-Pomminville
Tropp-McCormick-Leino? Scott? Kaleta?

Something doesnt Fit.

In my opinion Kaleta doesnt get resigned and shouldnt. the 4th line should be Tropp-Mccormick-Scott with ellis as the extra.

Where does Leino go? You cant really put him on the 4th line can you? we still need a checking line and Leino does not fit that

tmack224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 04:43 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmack224 View Post
i know everyone wants to trade for a wing or trade for a center but looking at it right now if Grigorenko makes the team:

Ott-Grigorenko-Vanek
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Gerbe-Hodgson-Pomminville
Tropp-McCormick-Leino? Scott? Kaleta?

Something doesnt Fit.

In my opinion Kaleta doesnt get resigned and shouldnt. the 4th line should be Tropp-Mccormick-Scott with ellis as the extra.

Where does Leino go? You cant really put him on the 4th line can you? we still need a checking line and Leino does not fit that
1) Switch Grigorenko and Hodgson. Hodgson already is developing chemistry with Vanek, and Vanek faces tough defenders -- Grigorenko will not be thrown up against that as a rookie if he makes it.
2) Switch Gerbe and Leino. You may not like Gerbe's role on the team (or just want to find a way to bury Leino), but it's pretty clear that it's as an energy line player. Plus, the only time Leino's play has looked decent has been with Pominville.
3) Scott will not - and should not - be regularly dressing for games. Kaleta is useful for his PK and agitating abilities. Scott has literally nothing going for him but fighting. Can't skate, can't handle the puck, etc.
4) I'd much rather have Tropp developing his game (and offense especially) playing top 6 minutes in the AHL than playing 4th line minutes in Buffalo.

Lines:
Ott-Hodgson-Vanek
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Grigorenko-Pominville
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta
xScott

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 04:48 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Any way you look at it, it's going to be a very competitive camp this fall. Barring trades or injuries (and you can never underestimate injuries), there's not enough room for everyone. Here's the list of forwards who could be on the opening day roster:

1. Vanek
2. Hodgson
3. Pominville
4. Ennis
5. Stafford
6. Foligno
7. Kaleta
8. Ott
9. Gerbe
10. Ellis
11. McCormick
12. Tropp
13. Adam
14. Grigs
15. Girgs
16. Leino
[* Scott, but I'm assuming he's the extra D-man]

Therefore, without roster changes or injury, 3 of those guys won't be on the opening day roster. I'm pretty sure Grigs won't make it, but after that, it's pretty sketchy and will depend a lot on camp performance. Only 2 of Tropp, Ellis, McCormick, Adam and Girgs will make it. Probably Tropp and either Cody or Luke, I'm guessing.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 05:05 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Fixed
I said "lines based on how we ended last year." Which means Leino with Pommer and Hodgson-Vanek with a banger.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 05:23 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Any way you look at it, it's going to be a very competitive camp this fall. Barring trades or injuries (and you can never underestimate injuries), there's not enough room for everyone. Here's the list of forwards who could be on the opening day roster:

1. Vanek
2. Hodgson
3. Pominville
4. Ennis
5. Stafford
6. Foligno
7. Kaleta
8. Ott
9. Gerbe
10. Ellis
11. McCormick
12. Tropp
13. Adam
14. Grigs
15. Girgs
16. Leino

Therefore, without roster changes or injury, 3 of those guys won't be on the opening day roster. I'm pretty sure Grigs won't make it, but after that, it's pretty sketchy and will depend a lot on camp performance. Only 2 of Tropp, Ellis, McCormick, Adam and Girgs will make it. Probably Tropp and either Cody or Luke, I'm guessing.
Laughed at Leino being listed sixteenth. Just funny.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:48 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post

1. Vanek
2. Hodgson
3. Pominville
4. Ennis
5. Stafford
6. Foligno
7. Kaleta
8. Ott
9. Gerbe
10. Ellis
11. McCormick
12. Tropp
13. Adam
14. Grigs
15. Girgs
16. Leino

Scott is going to be carried as a forward

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 01:05 PM
joshjull

Tropp starting in Buffalo hinges on whether or not Regier picks up another top 9 forward. If he does, Tropp starts in Rochester and if not Tropp has a very good chance of starting in Buffalo.

I felt going into the offseason that Roy and Tropp's spots in the top 9 were the two likely to get upgraded /changed.

Last edited by joshjull: 07-21-2012 at 01:17 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote