Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Doubt that Chicago falls into Calgary territory.. They have Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Hossa, Sharp, etc. If they were to trade any one of them, which they might have to, they would get a nice return of young players, picks and cap space.

Calgary has Iginla, Kipper, no centers and a revolving door of other players.
Calgary has Bouwmester, and Baerstchi is approaching blue-chip territory.

Chicago still has great assets, though. They could easily trade one of Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Hossa, or Sharp for a great prospect and a 1st rounder to keep their prospect pool stocked.

Old
09-19-2012, 07:49 PM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Doubt that Chicago falls into Calgary territory.. They have Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Hossa, Sharp, etc. If they were to trade any one of them, which they might have to, they would get a nice return of young players, picks and cap space.

Calgary has Iginla, Kipper, no centers and a revolving door of other players.
I meant that they are going to become the 90s/early 2000s Calgary. Look at who they had in that time period, and they really did not win anything at all.

Calgary had Fleury, Gilmour, Nieuwendyk, Roberts, MacInnis, Vernon, Suter, Mullen, young Iginla, young Regehr, and the list goes on. Yeah, cool, they had some great players. Some potential hall-of-famers. But they didn't win anything.

The current black hawks are in a similar position, IMO. Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook...I'm sure they'll be competitive for a long time, but I don't see them winning anything with that current lineup.

Old
09-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Dee Oh Cee

vCash: 500
I think Hawks could easily go far in the playoffs this season. Crawford would be the only thing holding them back.

Old
09-19-2012, 09:31 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
I meant that they are going to become the 90s/early 2000s Calgary. Look at who they had in that time period, and they really did not win anything at all.

Calgary had Fleury, Gilmour, Nieuwendyk, Roberts, MacInnis, Vernon, Suter, Mullen, young Iginla, young Regehr, and the list goes on. Yeah, cool, they had some great players. Some potential hall-of-famers. But they didn't win anything.

The current black hawks are in a similar position, IMO. Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook...I'm sure they'll be competitive for a long time, but I don't see them winning anything with that current lineup.
Still doesn't compare... Chicago is where it is now coming off a cup win not too long ago. What did Calgary win leading into the early 2000's?

Old
09-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post
I think Hawks could easily go far in the playoffs this season. Crawford would be the only thing holding them back.
Thats why we will have traded them Backstrom for Sharp at the trade deadline. Thought that was obvious....

Old
09-20-2012, 11:23 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I don't think there's a roster player on Chicago I'd be interested in for Backstrom. Well, there's a couple extremely unrealistic ones (coughKeithorToewscough) but the rest either wouldn't help our team or have a cap hit that would harm us too much. I don't think there's a way to swing a Clendening+ for Backstrom deal either.

Old
09-22-2012, 08:35 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Glancing at the trade forum, there's a thread about "If there's a lockout and Columbus somehow won the first 3 picks in the draft." (That's about a 1 in 400 chance if the guy who did the math did it correctly) In it, Vancouver fans are convinced they could trade Schneider for the 3rd overall.

Old
09-22-2012, 09:38 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
No way is Schneider worth a top 5 overall pick in the next draft. If that did happen, I'd keep them all rather than get an immediate impact player.

Old
09-24-2012, 07:48 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

The good will Edmonton believes they have with their fanbase is remarkable.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
09-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Some Oilers fans think Katz is bluffing. (Or they hope so)

Old
09-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Way to alienate one of the most devoted fan bases in the NHL, Mr Katz. And Commissioner Bettman stands by and just lets it happen.
http://twitter.com/SpectorsHockey/st...94773213569025

EDIT:
Quote:
Imagine if the owner of a Canadian NHL team locked out his players and moved the team to the States in the same year. #backlash?
http://twitter.com/TH2NSTATSGUY/stat...99506221395968

Old
09-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Okay, I hate the Oilers with a passion, but if that jerk ends up moving them somewhere, it will be a bigger travesty than when the North Stars, Jets, and Nordiques moved COMBINED.

Old
09-25-2012, 12:28 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Dunno if it was posted yet but Yahoo gave the Wild an extremely positive preview for next year and then said they were not a playoff team in the closing paragraph.

Discuss.

Old
09-25-2012, 12:36 AM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
Second, injuries may not be an excuse, but when you suffer 395 man-games lost to injury and have to use 47 different guys to cover the holes, maybe they should be.
Finally someone acknowledges it.

Quote:
Behind that pairing, Tom Gilbert will anchor a second duo, and Wild fans should be excited about this. A year after effectively having no one on the back end that could start a breakout, the Wild have Suter on pairing one and Gilbert on pairing two. This will help them at both ends of the ice.
Oh look someone who doesn't think that having Gilbert in your top 4 makes your D horrible.

Quote:
But they're still not a playoff team, not yet. That should come next year, when a few more of their other high-end prospects like Charlie Coyle, Jonas Brodin, and Matt Dumba join the team and fill out the thin depth chart below the stars. The Wild's future is bright, but another year on the outside of the playoff bubble is in the offing.
I think i'd say we're a bubble team this year, but really I quite liked the analysis, better treatment then we normally get.

Old
09-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

I really do not agree with puck daddy's assessment of Wild talent.

In the first part of the blog he mentions that the Wild weren't very good even when healthy last season. Yeah, just good enough to be on top of the league for a fair amount of time. Add 2 FAs to the team in the offseason along with Granlund and I have the Wild making the playoffs. The Wild won't win the division, but they will get in.

Old
09-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think in general Wild fans overestimate our team/talent while non-Wild fans underestimate them. But I think it's ridiculous that you flat out say the team will miss the playoffs when there are so many unknowns. I mean, teams like Tampa Bay who look great on paper miss and teams like Florida who look like a disaster on paper make it. Especially in the weak NW division.

Old
09-25-2012, 01:49 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

With the Wild this season, I don't think it's a question of talent and composition anymore. We have the talent and composition to make the playoffs, at least as a fringe seed. The only real remaining question on that front is the chemistry. Will this team gel well enough and early enough to put the new talent to work?

Something that's so often and so dramatically overlooked about last season was our team defense. Last season's team was so brutally decimated by injuries, and wasn't all that talented to begin with. But that team finished in the top half of the league in GA/G. Even though the team spent its entire season in their own end, had a more or less mediocre save percentage (0.006 above the median, equivalent of 0.18GA/G @ 30 shots per game), and featured a defense who at one point had Jared Spurgeon as the second most experienced player, they still finished in the top half of the league at keeping the puck out of their own net. Unless there's another rash of injuries like last year, there's no reason this team shouldn't make the playoffs.

Old
09-25-2012, 06:27 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I think in general Wild fans overestimate our team/talent while non-Wild fans underestimate them. But I think it's ridiculous that you flat out say the team will miss the playoffs when there are so many unknowns. I mean, teams like Tampa Bay who look great on paper miss and teams like Florida who look like a disaster on paper make it. Especially in the weak NW division.
Said it better than I could.

Old
09-25-2012, 06:45 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

the way Yeo had the team playing when relatively whole gives me a lot of confidence in what we could (have) accomplished this year without the crazy injuries and the addition of Suter, Parise, Granlund, and (likely) Brodin. we looked like ******* on paper yet led the league.

Old
09-25-2012, 07:20 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Oilers move to Seattle....Coyotes move to Edmonton! Buwahahahahahahahahah....

Old
09-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

|
|
---> Coyotes proceed to get three consecutive #1 overall picks

Old
09-26-2012, 09:37 AM
TZM
Par too easy

Erik Karlsson to Jokerit, SM-liiga.

per Ilta-Sanomat

Last edited by TZM: 09-26-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old
09-28-2012, 10:21 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i feel bad, but it's kind of funny that Nash injured himself over in Swissland.

Old
09-29-2012, 12:24 AM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Love HC Davos' jersey, sans advertisements.

Old
09-29-2012, 12:27 AM
Dee Oh Cee

Davos Seaworth? The Onion Knight?

Closed Thread