HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[PHI] Shea Weber Signs Offer Sheet - 14 Yrs - $110 Million - $7.857 Cap Hit (Pt IV)

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 01:42 PM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
@BroadStBull

Shea Weber's agent, Kevin Epp, said money wasn't a factor in signing the offer sheet, but that Weber likes ‪#Flyers‬ history and Cup chances.

@BroadStBull

Shea Weber's agent says the Dman considers Philadelphia "a destination place." ‪#Flyers‬ ‪#Preds

@BroadStBull

"We felt it was the right fit," Epp, Weber's agent, says of ‪#Flyers‬. He says he "wouldn't be surprised 1 way or the other" on who gets him.
Am I the only one who has to call b.s. on the money part of it? Nothing to do with it my backside, ha ha.

Old
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Man Holmgren and Snider are ruthless. I love it. Just stay awy from my players please and thank you

Old
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanedave View Post
I am a little confused, why do they have to pay him the 26 million right away? Sorry if this has been explained already.
Because Philly is trying to force Weber out due to the fact that the Preds are a small market team and wouldn't be able to pay him 26M in the first year. Dick move

Old
bruinsfan46

Quote:
I am a little confused, why do they have to pay him the 26 million right away? Sorry if this has been explained already.
He gets $13 million for his first signing bonus right away from the Flyers or Predators if they match. Then he gets a $1 million salary if there is a season, next July 1st he gets a second $13 million signing bonus. Since that's within a calendar year the Predators are on the hook for at least $26 million even if there's a lockout before he can be traded.

Old
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Am I the only one who has to call b.s. on the money part of it? Nothing to do with it my backside, ha ha.
It makes the agent look like a tool.

Old
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Nashville will probably just look to see if they can afford it and then make a decision at the weekend.
You don't say! Great insight!

Old
07-19-2012, 01:43 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'm pretty sure that is only the hockey operations income. The team also benefits greatly from non-hockey revenue, which isn't listed in that figure. Remember, the Bridgestone Arena is one of the busiest arenas in the world, and a good amount of that is non-hockey.

edit: I'm getting really ****ing tired of being a fan of a small market team who can so easily be handcuffed by a large market team. Great CBA we got there after a lock out...
yes, but do the Preds also own the arena? if they don't own the arena, then the non-Preds revenue (ie: concerts, other sports) doesnt go towards the Preds

Old
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Obviously. I haven't heard one player mention that money was a factor in signing a deal. At least for a long time.

Old
Cartered

Send a message via AIM to Cartered Send a message via MSN to Cartered
Quote:
It's 26 million within the first calendar year of the deal. He receives $13 million in signing bonuses (which are paid up front before the season) in each of the first two seasons, and then an extra $1 million during each season.

That's a tough pill to swallow for a team like Nashville that operates on a deficit in a small market, but with the threat of a lockout looming and the possibility of depleted revenue because of that, Nashville is caught between a rock and a hard place.

On the one hand, they can't let Weber walk. They absolutely can't. The PR damage would be enormous and barring a miracle run into the playoffs or something like that, it would take seasons for the team to rebuild its image after losing both major stars in the same offseason.

On the other hand, they might not be able to afford to match this. Literally, they might not have enough cash in their coffers to pay Shea Weber that much money so early in the deal.

Old
Amateur Hour

Quote:
@BroadStBull

Shea Weber's agent, Kevin Epp, said money wasn't a factor in signing the offer sheet, but that Weber likes ‪#Flyers‬ history and Cup chances.

@BroadStBull

Shea Weber's agent says the Dman considers Philadelphia "a destination place." ‪#Flyers‬ ‪#Preds

@BroadStBull

"We felt it was the right fit," Epp, Weber's agent, says of ‪#Flyers‬. He says he "wouldn't be surprised 1 way or the other" on who gets him.
B...b...b...but I thought no players would want to come here after the Richards, Carter, and JVR trades!!!!!

Old
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

27 million in 1 year?

Old
07-19-2012, 01:44 PM
bauer

Quote:
signing bonus.

Old
McNasty

Quote:
Two signing bonuses, one when the deal is finalized the other July 1st 2013. If there is a lockout that cancels the season they will have paid Weber 26M before he plays a game.

Old
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
This article summarizes the brillance of this move by the flyers and how it handicaps the Preds.

http://deadspin.com/5927347/shea-web...ng-masterpiece
It really is a beauty of a contract. The Flyers did an excellent job structuring this contract and, as much as I hate these ludicrous deal, I have to give credit where it's due

Old
07-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo View Post
What makes people think he doesn't want to be in Nashville merely because he signed an offersheet? He obviously wouldn't mind Philly, but that doesn't mean he's hell-bent on getting out.

Didn't Sakic once sign a sheet with the Rangers?
I agree there is the possibility that Weber is using this to put the Preds full hand on the table.

Old
NewGuy

Quote:
@BroadStBull

Agents say the funniest things.

Old
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Science View Post
No...they can agree upon a compensation other than the four first rounders.
Essentially, but just so everyone gets it, the not matching would have to occur first, and then as a separate deal, the Flyers could trade players for their picks. It's not a special right or consideration, it's the same as any other trade. So if Nashville wanted Coots and Schenn for 2 firsts, not happening. In fact they probably wouldn't get any part of the Flyers young core. More like to get their paws on Meszaros because the Flyers consider him expendable. Philly would not be at gunpoint to get picks back or free up salary in reality.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Halibut

Quote:
@BroadStBull

@BroadStBull

@BroadStBull

Shea Weber made these comments from a real estate agents office specializing in small Islands in the South Pacific. From there he was heading to the sales room of the nearby Yacht factory on his recently purchased elephant.

Old
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'm pretty sure that is only the hockey operations income. The team also benefits greatly from non-hockey revenue, which isn't listed in that figure. Remember, the Bridgestone Arena is one of the busiest arenas in the world, and a good amount of that is non-hockey.
The money the organization makes outside the club has nothing to do with the teams budget.
Its the same argument I see BlueJays fan make all the time. They think the team should spend more because Rogers makes billions with the telicom company. Teams set their budgets based on the teams income not the owners income or bank account.

Old
Kershaw

26 mil is pocket change for Snider and Comcast.

However this is a quarter of Nashville's revenue. Yikes.

Old
aLus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Obviously. I haven't heard one player mention that money was a factor in signing a deal. At least for a long time.
Samuelsson when he signed with Vancouver

Old
07-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Nucks N Canes

Right after Nashville matchs in a week a thread should start on Weber to your team .... all over again since speculation says he isn't happy.... then let the true market value trades show up. For a signed 13 year contract that will be up for grabs beginning on July 2, 2013.

Old
Whydidijoin*

As far as people saying that it would cost Nashville 26 million or something, I was under the impression that Nashville only had to match the term and the total amount, not the individual salaries and signing bonuses.

Can somebody who isn't just talking out of their rear confirm or deny this?

Old
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Essentially, but just so everyone gets it, the not matching would have to occur first, and then as a separate deal, the Flyers could trade players for their picks. It's not a special right or consideration, it's the same as any other trade. So if Nashville wanted Coots and Schenn for 2 firsts, not happening. In fact they probably wouldn't get any part of the Flyers young core. More like to get their paws on Meszaros because the Flyers consider him expendable. Philly would not be at gunpoint to get picks back or free up salary in reality.
Thank you....that's exactly what I was trying to say.

Old
bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post
Because Philly is trying to force Weber out due to the fact that the Preds are a small market team and wouldn't be able to pay him 26M in the first year. Dick move
not a dick move. it's f'in brilliant. franchise Dmen like Weber (and Chara, Pronger, etc) are so incredibly rare to find. when you get a chance to get one, you go for it. kudos to them for having the balls to do it.

Closed Thread